PDA

View Full Version : Lets chat about Grimm's Arcane Ability and chance to stun

Samhayne
10-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Hey everyone,

We have seen a few complaints about Grimm the Harvester's Arcane Ability in regards to the stun component. We are updating the game today with the following patch note for Grimm:

Grimm the Harvester’s Pet ability stun component will now be more noticeable if it hits. Description changed to remove “high chance” to stun to reflect that the ability can miss.

The stun has a 66% chance to go off and can miss. 66% chance to stun is pretty high (especially from a game design perspective). The fact that it can miss was probably an issue for people who were leveling up Grimm and fighting against high level monsters. In that situation, a low level Grimm probably won't land the stun component. The debuff components of Grimm's Arcane Ability don't miss (and are pretty powerful).

Hopefully the changes we are making today to make the stun more noticeable, along with the understanding that the stun component of the ability can miss (and miss more if there is a big level disparity between the target and Grimm) will help you feel better about Grimm's Arcane Ability.

I look forward to your thoughts (especially after you play with the changes that we will be patching out).

-Samhayne

Yakiniku
10-25-2013, 12:14 PM
One question. Is the stun supposed to affect bosses?

Prahasit Prahi
10-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Good to see abt this stun...
Hope we can have a bit damage or crict added...

Jexetta
10-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Thank you for bringing this up Sam. I think the issue is people (me included) assumed the stun would be similar to other mythic / arcane pet 'panic' abilities and that's not the case. I don't see it being a huge issue, and when testing I did see little mini stuns occurring when testing out on friends in pvp (I was using a level 35 version). I think the main issue is the stun doesn't really lock up other players like a panic does, it tends to be really really short, more like a skill wind-up interrupt use then a 'stun and unleash a big combo use'. Changing it to a panic would make Slag fall way behind Grimm, I think the best way to make it so people are happy would be to increase the stun AoE range to something similar to haze or abaddon's range, it seems really small as it is.

Altering the stun so it's more noticeable is probably a good step too. I usually play on a big lcd screen and I have a hard time seeing it, people playing on 5" screens on phones probably can barely see the effect. Being able to see effects makes people value them more - if I think about the skill just had a nice visual that coordinated with the range people would value it more. The ability of slag is very apparent, you see the effect going out with a little fireball and red circle - other pets you don't see anything and people consider it 'less valuable' or have a hard time figuring out what the range is without the effect indicator.

So to summarize :
Increase the size of the arcane ability AoE range.
Make the stun and arcane ability more noticeable

Those are my suggestions :redface:

Benworushi
10-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Nice! Good pet

Deadroth
10-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Thank you for bringing this up Sam. I think the issue is people (me included) assumed the stun would be similar to other mythic / arcane pet 'panic' abilities and that's not the case. I don't see it being a huge issue, and when testing I did see little mini stuns occurring when testing out on friends in pvp (I was using a level 35 version). I think the main issue is the stun doesn't really lock up other players like a panic does, it tends to be really really short, more like a skill wind-up interrupt use then a 'stun and unleash a big combo use'. Changing it to a panic would make Slag fall way behind Grimm, I think the best way to make it so people are happy would be to increase the stun AoE range to something similar to haze or abaddon's range, it seems really small as it is.

Altering the stun so it's more noticeable is probably a good step too. I usually play on a big lcd screen and I have a hard time seeing it, people playing on 5" screens on phones probably can barely see the effect. Being able to see effects makes people value them more - if I think about the skill just had a nice visual that coordinated with the range people would value it more. The ability of slag is very apparent, you see the effect going out with a little fireball and red circle - other pets you don't see anything and people consider it 'less valuable' or have a hard time figuring out what the range is without the effect indicator.

So to summarize :

I fully agree with Jexetta :) I am guna buy this pet, but it would be more cool if it had more aoe effect... Now it is tinyy...

Zeus
10-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Why not make the stun the duration of the bow stun? I think that would be acceptable to most.

Sorcerie
10-25-2013, 12:49 PM
I agree with the two above, an AOE stun so it's more noticeable against mobs or a longer stun.

Those are awesome alternatives, his arcane effect area is just way too small and hits only 5 at a time, for a mythic pet that's weak sauce.

At this point I think Squash's and Vlad's arcane abilities are more impressive.

Deadroth
10-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Here is my (silly, can someone say) question: Does Grimmy hits same amount of mobs at once as Slag?

Deadroth
10-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Silly me, I mean, with his normal attack. Same as slag? or less than slag? Or more than slag? (both compared as capped ofc)

Sorcerie
10-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Silly me, I mean, with his normal attack. Same as slag? or less than slag? Or more than slag? (both compared as capped ofc)Description says multiple enemies once he reaches lvl 30, but I don't know how many that is exactly, so...yea. :/

Thrindal
10-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Just ran the first half of the first Shuyal map solo while letting my lvl35 Grimm do all the work and it was much better. I think he looks good in PVE vs MOBs. I will have to test on a boss and in PVP later, I won't speculate on that until I try it.

Thrindal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Soundlesskill
10-25-2013, 04:35 PM
So, is it panic, terrify or stun you're talking about here...?

Carapace
10-25-2013, 05:20 PM
So, is it panic, terrify or stun you're talking about here...?

It is a Stun. Not a panic/terrify.

Yunfehn
10-25-2013, 06:32 PM
I wish it was panic :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Kakashis
10-25-2013, 06:57 PM
If they made it panic, Sam would need a serious buff!

Crowsfoot
10-25-2013, 07:13 PM
If they made it panic, Sam would need a serious buff!
Agreed. However, the only buff you could do to Samuel that wouldn't make him OP is to make his toxin inflict upon people more often. It is less common than a banish (a 10% chance) in my experience.

Kakashis
10-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Agreed. However, the only buff you could do to Samuel that wouldn't make him OP is to make his toxin inflict upon people more often. It is less common than a banish (a 10% chance) in my experience.

Yeah or just leave everything alone! Slag is for stunning, Grimm is for debuffing/instant slay, and Sam is Sam! I just wish that Sam was given some visual particle effects. He looks more plain than all the mythic and arcane pets combined! Stats are great, visual he gets a big F

GreenDiamond
10-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Nice! Good pet
Agree 100%!

GreenDiamond
10-26-2013, 05:20 PM

So to summarize :

Sorry, im agreed with this 100%!!!

Chihiro
10-27-2013, 07:58 AM

So to summarize :

hopefully sam read this and update grimm soon :) coz its very cool pet and so ex

wlsgh15
10-28-2013, 03:38 AM
hopefully sam read this and update grimm soon :) coz its very cool pet and so ex
agree this