PDA

View Full Version : 10K Gold= 1 Plat??

Kingslaya
05-01-2010, 05:56 PM
I was just thinking that it'd be pretty cool to be able to convert 10k gold for one plat. This could be great for people who don't or can't buy the platinum. Plus 10k is sorta a lot of money so it's not like people would have a ton of plat. If you guys think 10k is too small maybe 15k or 20k is better. Just so everyone has a chance at the stuff. Some will get it easier then others. Thanks!

pyro
05-01-2010, 05:58 PM
I kind of agree with this... I honestly have no idea how it would affect overall real money revenue for the developers, but it would do a lot to invigorate the in-game economy by adding a huge gold sink. Once people are destroying massive amounts of gold to convert to platinum, gold will actually be worth something, and work as a universal currency for trading, etc. That sounds like a step in the right direction for me, but I imagine it's a very complicated decision to balance.

nerdherd
05-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Well, based on what the devs have said in other threads I would highly doubt anything like this will happen. They want to keep platinum and gold separate from each other because otherwise gold farmers will start to enter the game and will be able to sell gold for real money (since it would convert to platinum).

Ogediah
05-01-2010, 06:07 PM
I also agree with this. Most of the people playing for enough time to get say 100,000 gold (enough for a new map in suggested platinum exchange) are probably providing other services (advertising to friends, feedback on the boards, etc) to the developers/community anyways.

Edit:
I know I have invested well over 30 dollars in this game (all the maps for myself, my bother, and a couple random maps for friends, a re-rack for stats, emoticons, and a recent purchase of 75 platinum.) That being said, not everyone can invest that kind of money. This may be a way to smooth over the unfair advantage some players have by being able to literally buy there way through the game.

pyro
05-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Ah, right, I do remember the gold farmers comment now. Ok, what about this –*add gambling à la Diablo then, where you can unload gold for a chance at rares/elites and a tiny tiny chance of legendaries, maybe that would work as a decent alternative?

Ogediah
05-01-2010, 06:19 PM
"Well, based on what the devs have said in other threads I would highly doubt anything like this will happen. They want to keep platinum and gold separate from each other because otherwise gold farmers will start to enter the game and will be able to sell gold for real money (since it would convert to platinum)."

This is true... but the amount of time required to farm something like 50,000 or 100,000 gold seems a bit ridiculous. I may be wrong, but platinum isnt real money. You purchase it through the app store with real money, once in game it is sort of like an item. Therefore converting in game should be like trading for any other item... not for real money that could be "withdrawn" from some type of bank account in the real world.

Obliteration
05-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Ah, right, I do remember the gold farmers comment now. Ok, what about this –*add gambling à la Diablo then, where you can unload gold for a chance at rares/elites and a tiny tiny chance of legendaries, maybe that would work as a decent alternative?

Gambling would add horrible calamity...
With gambling odds are against you.
Which people would think oh I'm definately gonna win....
Blow 20k then be mad and complain...

But 10k for one plat is a good idea. You must also realize
the devs get paid through plat.
This might cut their pay rate by 10-20% depending on how good you are at farming....

Kingslaya
05-01-2010, 06:29 PM
True. But you must realize, out of all the players in PL how many of them are extremely good farmers?

Buvet
05-01-2010, 06:42 PM
I think that the devs explained that the reason for plat was so that it was easier to integrate map paks, repecs, and other items that you would normally buy with real money. To make platinum available for free, even with all the grinding necessary, would defeat the purpose of platinum's function.

Banned
05-01-2010, 06:52 PM
The devs need money dammit! Platnium is fine the way it is and it makes the expansions a little cheaper. It also helps in getting content alot quicker then Apple's crappy approval system. Be happy with what your getting, it's all for the better.

Ogediah
05-01-2010, 07:03 PM
I think that the devs explained that the reason for plat was so that it was easier to integrate map paks, repecs, and other items that you would normally buy with real money.

This is true, it was done to allow them to better control.
From my understanding it also allows things such as:
Maximizing profit
You can't share previous downloads by transfering your itunes account.
Apple recieves a percentage of every purchase made through the appstore. By reducing the amount of times the appstore gets a cut... the more money they make.
By purchasing platinum before maps/updates are made... it allows you to "invest" in Spacetime before they put out updates.
Allows purchases less than one dollar.

Personally i think these are good. I would rather see more power in the hands of the developer than in the hands of apple.

To make platinum available for free, even with all the grinding necessary, would defeat the purpose of platinum's function.
This is not necessarily true. You aren't making money available for free. there is alot of game play involded with large sums of loot... 100,000 (at the 10k per 1 platinum) would buy one map. Currently there are 4 paid maps (about to be 5). Just to buy all the maps, somone would need to make 500,000 gold. You find someone in this game with 500,000 gold, and i will find you a cookie. If you were to say 20,000, thats 1 million gold. That seems a bit preposterous to say people will be easily able to come by 500,000 or 1 million gold.
I mean, A man's gotta be able to afford potions still.

Kingslaya
05-02-2010, 01:47 AM
Ya i'm liking the responses so far. I hope the devs take a look at this post and see why they think about it.

Splurd
05-02-2010, 03:24 AM
Ya i'm liking the responses so far. I hope the revs take a look at this post and see why they think about it.

You do realise alot of people are disagreeing with the idea, right?

Obliteration
05-02-2010, 04:28 AM
Ya i'm liking the responses so far. I hope the revs take a look at this post and see why they think about it.

Can't wait for reverend Justg to take a look at things.
"Lol sorry, I had to poke fun at your grammar mistake"

Ogediah
05-02-2010, 05:10 AM
You do realise alot of people are disagreeing with the idea, right?

Maybe i'm wrong, but I dont see a single post disagreeing with the original idea. A couple people pointed out that the topic has been touched on before, but no one outright disagreed.

Banned
05-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Maybe i'm wrong, but I dont see a single post disagreeing with the original idea. A couple people pointed out that the topic has been touched on before, but no one outright disagreed.

You are wrong. Re-read the posts.

Hurs
05-02-2010, 11:30 AM
You are wrong. Re-read the posts.

Oh snap.
10charlol

Kingslaya
05-02-2010, 11:40 AM
It doesn't matter who's wrong or right. This was just a simple idea. Everyone has their own opinion. Reason why I posted it so the devs might take it into consideration, not to argue about what other people think about it.

Ogediah
05-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Ok.... Excluding the banned guys response that can't really be taken seriously, I still don't see anyone outright disagreeing.

BestHyun
05-02-2010, 11:36 PM
I think its good where it is at now. ^^

TheBaconKing
05-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Ok.... Excluding the banned guys response that can't really be taken seriously, I still don't see anyone outright disagreeing.

There isn't any banned guys.. It is a bit misleading, but I believe that is the posters actual screen name. I was confused at first too.

utopi
05-03-2010, 03:39 AM
The devs need money dammit! Platnium is fine the way it is and it makes the expansions a little cheaper. It also helps in getting content alot quicker then Apple's crappy approval system. Be happy with what your getting, it's all for the better.

I totally agree!

Banned
05-03-2010, 07:34 AM

Funny, look at the above post. Seems like someone agrees with me. Let me give you another reason why this idea isn't very good. Most of us can make about 5k each day(selling items, farming, etc). The devs release map packs at a pretty slow rate. They cost 10p, so at about a little over two weeks, I could have 10p. Meaning I can pretty much go through the whole game without paying for a single map pack. Devs lose money, server can't be run, it gets shutdown, no more PL.

SlipperyJim
05-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Okay, I will disagree with the suggestion. I'll even do it outright. ;)

The devs have to get paid somehow. Selling platinum is how they make money off of Pocket Legends. It's how they pay the bills, keep the servers running, buy braces for their kids, etcetera.... If they make platinum available for gold, they'll shoot their cash cow in the head. Without income, Pocket Legends will die. I don't want the game to die, and I think that your suggestion might lead to that.

Furthermore, I'm not the only person on this thread who disagrees with you. Buvet, Banned, BestHyun, and utopi all seem to disagree. That said, the devs' votes are the only ones that really matter. We can make our opinions known, but they get the final say. So why bother posting my opinion? Because I don't want the devs to think that their customers are unanimous in requesting them to work for free.... :)

Kingslaya
05-03-2010, 09:11 AM
All very true bout devs getting paid. Like I said though, if 10k is to small and you'd think you can make it to quickly then make it higher 15k or 20k whatever floats the devs boats.

SlipperyJim
05-03-2010, 09:37 AM
All very true bout devs getting paid. Like I said though, if 10k is to small and you'd think you can make it to quickly then make it higher 15k or 20k whatever floats the devs boats.
I think you might be missing the point. Any ability to purchase Platinum for Gold is a bad idea. Whether that rate is 1k, 10k, or even 100k Gold for Platinum, it's still a bad idea.

Here's why: Gold is basically an unlimited resource. The more you farm, the more gold you make. My Archer is my newest character, just hit lvl 30, and he's drowning in gold already. Hardcore players have even more gold than I do. There isn't any limit on how much gold you can make. Just keep farming!

Since gold is an unlimited resource, there's no good way to trade it for Platinum without dramatically altering the Platinum sales. If you raise the exchange rate, people will just farm more. Many people would never buy Platinum again. And that would place our beloved devs on food stamps, eating government cheese, and living on the street. ;)

I'm not trying to be harsh, but the economics of the situation are very straightforward. If you open the door to allow trading a limited commodity (Platinum, which is limited by real-world $$$) for an unlimited commodity (Gold), you'll destroy the value of the limited commodity.

Banned
05-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Ogediah, you lose.

Dilarus
05-03-2010, 09:58 AM
i dont think the gold farmers thing works at all, if the gold farmers are playing enough to achieve 50,000 gold aka 5 platinum, i HIGHLY doubt the 50 or so man hours is at all worth 59p (uk money, 99c american) i dont think ANY gold farmer will be at all happy putting in so much work for what is essentially a fraction of a cent per hour, especially as they will have to undercut spacetime's prices, making it even less worth their while.

Banned
05-03-2010, 10:03 AM
i dont think the gold farmers thing works at all, if the gold farmers are playing enough to achieve 50,000 gold aka 5 platinum, i HIGHLY doubt the 50 or so man hours is at all worth 59p (uk money, 99c american) i dont think ANY gold farmer will be at all happy putting in so much work for what is essentially a fraction of a cent per hour, especially as they will have to undercut spacetime's prices, making it even less worth their while.

You always just sell the items in your inventory. The 270(over the limit :p) items I have should be able to bring me enough gold to get 5p.

Jovians
05-03-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure if selling play that cheep in terms of gold is right but I do agree with the fact we need a bunch of good gold dumps. ATM all we hav is potions and it's not serving it's job as a sold gold dump. Maybe trading 1 plat for 50k gold is a good idea until they make a sold gold dump. We need some good vanity items and ATM the game is still in it's development stages. I'm deff not for taking money away from the dev team. I think they need more money to help increase this games growth. But we do need to see tat also for this game to be a successful mmo it's needs a very stable ever growing economy. It is a must. :)

Dilarus
05-03-2010, 11:32 AM
You always just sell the items in your inventory. The 270(over the limit :p) items I have should be able to bring me enough gold to get 5p.

yes ur proving my point, a gold farmer would want constant income, if you sold everything you own youd have enough gld for 99c worth of platinum, and i daresay it took you many hours to get all of that, a gold farmer would want millions of gold a day inorder to make it worth his while at all and its just not going to happen, he'd make about 100x more money at minimum wage.

FeralDruid
05-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Is it possible to get Power Cells in Ngmoco's Eliminate besides:

1) Paying for them
2) Installing Ngmoco's dumb Dog game for the 5th time

In short, Spacetime Studios have to pay the light bill at the end of the day just like everyone else.

You enjoy their product?

Pony up the cash like everyone else.

Galazy
05-03-2010, 12:49 PM
what about making gold and plat tradable, akin to what eve does. Plat cant enter the market unless some1 buys it, but it then allows people with ample gold to trade for the plat with no loss to spacetime. The on flaw with this currently that i can see is that no1 is goin to want to trade their plat for gold, even though many would want to do the opposite trade because of the lack of uses for gold. With ample uses for gold, the system could work.

FeralDruid
05-03-2010, 01:22 PM
what about making gold and plat tradable, akin to what eve does. Plat cant enter the market unless some1 buys it, but it then allows people with ample gold to trade for the plat with no loss to spacetime. The on flaw with this currently that i can see is that no1 is goin to want to trade their plat for gold, even though many would want to do the opposite trade because of the lack of uses for gold. With ample uses for gold, the system could work.

Definitely a better alternative.

ddarko18
05-03-2010, 03:14 PM
its not happening, they gain nothing out of letting people do this so quit dreaming

pyro
05-03-2010, 03:48 PM

This might be a viable option but I don't think it could work with 'no loss to Spacetime'. What you seem to be forgetting here is the profit Spacetime will undoubtedly make off of what I'll call 'gift card inefficiencies' in the current market, aka, I think most players probably won't end up using all of the platinum they buy, but they still paid for it. In your scenario, these unused platinum would be traded to other players, who then do not have to buy platinum, so that would take out a chunk of profit.

However... on the other hand my general feeling is that whatever profit hit some of these proposed solutions might bring, the added depth to the in-game economy and thus depth to the end-game for hardcore players, etc. would be improved, and overall drive more sales / word of mouth and such and help retain players hooked onto the game longer than without, thus offsetting short-term profit loss. But that's just my personal theory spun out of thin air.

Ogediah
05-03-2010, 05:33 PM
@Banned, like was already brought up, we aren't setting a limit. There does need to be a gold dump of some sort though. As Dilarus mentioned, gametime vs minimum wage can be easily worked out. 100k to 1platinum... w/e. Yes servers need to stay up and running, but if you are never going to pay... its going to take a long time at lvl 13 to acquire 100k. If you are level 30, like i said, you probably squatting doing nothing more but basically testing for the community and providing feedback. This may not be true for everyone... but generally if you are waiting around long enough you are going to show up the site to atleast look for news of the new updates.

I like galazy's alternative... but as he mentioned, it has problems as well.

I think we can all agree that we need Gold dumps. This would be an alternative. Its not a free service, i think that as contributing members we are doing something for the game and community. We advertise to our friends to get the game, we basically test and provide feedback. This gives incentive to keep playing the game after you have reached your level cap, in a productive manner.

I don't think this is the only solution, and obviously i know it is up to the developers. We are trying to have a civil conversation about the hows, whys, and why nots. I'd love to hear your defense to why it may not work or other alternatives, but dont be a jack-*** and just say "no it wont work". We know it isn't currently working, its not in the game.

Orange_Revenge
05-03-2010, 08:12 PM
yeah the idea isnt completely bad but I for sure dont want to see the game go under and maybe trading plats for rare weapons would work cuz either way ppl paid for it and the gave the plats to someone else.
Since the person who gave the plats for the rare weapon still paid for the plats or got them from someone else who did buy them the devs dont lose money. Cuz plats are still bought either way its just a system of trade.

Noname
05-03-2010, 08:26 PM
From a players perspective it looks good, and nice. But from the developers perspective they are just going to lose money, this game is "free". Maybe if they made the intro price 2.99 or something, they'd do this.. But, I don't know.

Splurd
05-03-2010, 09:21 PM
yes ur proving my point, a gold farmer would want constant income, if you sold everything you own youd have enough gld for 99c worth of platinum, and i daresay it took you many hours to get all of that, a gold farmer would want millions of gold a day inorder to make it worth his while at all and its just not going to happen, he'd make about 100x more money at minimum wage.

Not even talking about gold farmers.

Banned point is that he easily managed to get the amount of items/gold needed for plat, and he is not even AIMing for it.

And even if the gold requirement got raised to a ridiculous amount, people will still grind for it.

Splurd
05-03-2010, 09:24 PM
@Banned, like was already brought up, we aren't setting a limit. There does need to be a gold dump of some sort though. As Dilarus mentioned, gametime vs minimum wage can be easily worked out. 100k to 1platinum... w/e. Yes servers need to stay up and running, but if you are never going to pay... its going to take a long time at lvl 13 to acquire 100k. If you are level 30, like i said, you probably squatting doing nothing more but basically testing for the community and providing feedback. This may not be true for everyone... but generally if you are waiting around long enough you are going to show up the site to atleast look for news of the new updates.

I like galazy's alternative... but as he mentioned, it has problems as well.

I think we can all agree that we need Gold dumps. This would be an alternative. Its not a free service, i think that as contributing members we are doing something for the game and community. We advertise to our friends to get the game, we basically test and provide feedback. This gives incentive to keep playing the game after you have reached your level cap, in a productive manner.

I don't think this is the only solution, and obviously i know it is up to the developers. We are trying to have a civil conversation about the hows, whys, and why nots. I'd love to hear your defense to why it may not work or other alternatives, but dont be a jack-*** and just say "no it wont work". We know it isn't currently working, its not in the game.

Yes. We need a gold dump. But platinum is not the way to do it. And it will never be, because it is just taking away from the Dev's money source. Which is why it wont work.

Ogediah
05-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Yes. We need a gold dump. But platinum is not the way to do it. And it will never be, because it is just taking away from the Dev's money source. Which is why it wont work.

It can also be seen as an investment in the money source by giving players a reason to stick around and bring their friends. I dont know how many games have "offers" for free in game money.... but how many times do you actually use all of them? I know I dont. There gets to be a point at which the offers usually get ridiculous. If you are really determined you might do them, but most of the time they require to much time and effort. i think this is the same concept. Set a limit that is achievable, but to a ridiculous extent. You are actually more likely this way to end up with people to get half way there (getting people to play the game and make the investment of their own time, etc... get themselves addicted to the game) and then become impatient and buy the levels anyways.

Kingslaya
05-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Ya well I talked with the dev, and he basicly said they just want to keep the two economies seperate. Don't blame them a bit. They need the money, but I do think it would be a good idea to trade platnium/gold ingame.