PDA

View Full Version : Droid X Experience

FluffNStuff
11-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Hoping people playing specifically on the Verizon Droid X can post their experience, including bugs and possible work around. Thanks!

duhchi
11-10-2010, 06:03 PM
My brother just had the install freeze on his droid x but after a reboot and uninstall it worked nicely. I guess the problem was that he went to the market and grabbed it first but then the second try (the time it worked) he did it from pocketlegends.com and clicked on the android link. Looks great on my Vibrant too :O

Futumsh
11-10-2010, 06:23 PM
A couple people have had a problem on their first time installing it - not sure what's up with that.

shadywack
11-10-2010, 06:27 PM
I had no problems on the install. I think from the post above that this could be a rom issue specific to Motorola. People running a couple other games I track run into this. Specifically Reckless Racing.

[Lt] Shiny
11-10-2010, 06:28 PM
you people have Droid X's?!?!? Damn... My phone is really out of date... =P

shadywack
11-10-2010, 06:48 PM
While on the topic of the Droid X, I added to the known issues thread.

JamesT
11-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Game installed without any issues on my Droid X. I was very impressed with the smooth performance and had no issues at all even with a weak 3G signal.

FluffNStuff
11-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks JamesT and everyone else who has responded so far. Figured I would share the reason for starting this thread, as I am sure many thought it was me sharing my Droid X experience. My friend has a Droid X and I am dieing to get him in the game. He is not as techie (ie, geeky) as me, so I am trying to gauge when the Droid X PL is 'ready for prime time'. I worry if he has to much issues or runs into problems, he will just give up. Might wait till Thxgiving when I will be up there, but I am really excited about this. Thanks, and keep the feedback coming!

Zeus
11-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Well mysticaldream just got the droid 2 which was the same graphics card as the droid x and basically the same specs besides the screen size although the pixels are the same. He said it was very smooth and played well, the only thing Id be worried about is the battery life as androids are not meant to handle serious pixel pushing so they are not equipped with adequate power management thus leading to shorter battery life then say an Iphone 4.

Demonicdevyn
11-11-2010, 01:01 PM
yea mysitcs been running around towne saying im cooler then all of u cus i play with a droid

Zeus
11-11-2010, 01:02 PM
The samsung galaxy s series should play pocket legends the best though as its hummingbird processor and gpu pushes 45 million polygons per second compared to the iphone 4s 25 million polygons per second. However once again this may come at the cost of battery life. I have an htc evo 4g that I will test out but snapdragons graphics cards are relatively weak and the Htc Evo 4g has a screen frames per second limit of 30 fps. So that may be a problem. For all you HTC EVO owners, I wouldn't expect smooth gameplay.
The android phones and tablets I would recommend to play pocketlegends are:
The Samsung Galaxy S tablet
Any of the samsung galaxy s phones (captivate, vibrant, epic 4g, etc)
The original moto droid, droid 2, or droid x
and these are the only android phones with dedicated gpu's I can remember atm.

BTW Snapdragon phones are a no no, They probably wont run pocket legends well. By well I mean higher then 30 fps.

MurdocX
11-11-2010, 01:17 PM
I have the Droid X and the gameplay is smooth, I was expecting chopiness since it is beta, but to my suprise it runs smoother than my I-touch 3G. The upside is that the screen is nearly 2 times as big as my I-Touch and the gameplay is smoother.

However, the downside is that the Droid X (default battery) has a very small battery life expectancy. If I have brightness at it's lowest, killed every process (uneeded ones), and let it sit idle, I can probably manage 8-10 hours of battery life. But for PL I find myself wanting some brightness on and after a good hour of playing my battery is drained half way already. But the battery life is an issue on my I-Touch as well after long periods of gameplay.

Droid X is great. Especially if you upgrade your battery.

reddragon72
11-11-2010, 01:37 PM
The samsung galaxy s series should play pocket legends the best though as its hummingbird processor and gpu pushes 45 million polygons per second compared to the iphone 4s 25 million polygons per second. However once again this may come at the cost of battery life. I have an htc evo 4g that I will test out but snapdragons graphics cards are relatively weak and the Htc Evo 4g has a screen frames per second limit of 30 fps. So that may be a problem. For all you HTC EVO owners, I wouldn't expect smooth gameplay.
The android phones and tablets I would recommend to play pocketlegends are:
The Samsung Galaxy S tablet
Any of the samsung galaxy s phones (captivate, vibrant, epic 4g, etc)
The original moto droid, droid 2, or droid x
and these are the only android phones with dedicated gpu's I can remember atm.

BTW Snapdragon phones are a no no, They probably wont run pocket legends well. By well I mean higher then 30 fps.

I have the Vibrant, T-Mobile's Galaxy S phone, and let me tell you that it is very smooth playing. My only complaint is my fat thumb ;) I can get about 2.5 hours out of the battery using 3G and 3 hours in airplane mode with wifi. But I am also running a leaked Froyo 2.2 on it and not the shipping 2.1 so there could be a difference there as well. Like I said before, our phones are mini computers, and just like a laptop, can't last more then a few hours playing games.

I still have three other devices I'm going to try the game on, a cricket ascend, Optimus T and Nexus One. We shall see how those go for loading and for performance.

shadywack
11-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Technically speaking, the Droid 2 and Droid X have the most cpu/gpu horsepower overall. They have a higher fillrate but not as much geometry horsepower. Pocket Legends has lots of particle effects/overlays which burn through fillrate.

The Hummingbird is great, but Samsung definitely overhyped it and it is, contrary to popular belief, NOT the best thing since sliced bread.

That said, I cannot tell the difference in smoothness between a Fascinate and a Droid X, other than that they are both far better than an iPhone4 to play games with. :)

Macloc
01-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Hi everybody! I have been playing PL on my droid X for about 3 months now and absolutly love it! Besides some freeze issues and lag which everybody has I have had very few problems. The graphics are astounding and the game is very addictive! I have reached lvl 50 and now hunt for better wepons and armor. I do like helping lower lvls but don't like bossy people, especially if they are noobs! Lol! I also voted for best app! Cause it is!

Phaded
01-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Well mysticaldream just got the droid 2 which was the same graphics card as the droid x and basically the same specs besides the screen size although the pixels are the same. He said it was very smooth and played well, the only thing Id be worried about is the battery life as androids are not meant to handle serious pixel pushing so they are not equipped with adequate power management thus leading to shorter battery life then say an Iphone 4.

That is false. Android can handle the pixels just fine, all depends on screen and processor, not to mention what kind of battery you use. I can run PL for hours with no problem.

Phaded
01-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Technically speaking, the Droid 2 and Droid X have the most cpu/gpu horsepower overall. They have a higher fillrate but not as much geometry horsepower. Pocket Legends has lots of particle effects/overlays which burn through fillrate.

The Hummingbird is great, but Samsung definitely overhyped it and it is, contrary to popular belief, NOT the best thing since sliced bread.

That said, I cannot tell the difference in smoothness between a Fascinate and a Droid X, other than that they are both far better than an iPhone4 to play games with. :)

Technically speaking the hummingbird does in fact own the moto droids. Quadrant/linpack and other benchmark testing apps don't lie.

Otukura
01-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Works fine on my droid x, and nexus one oc'd to 1.3 ghz :P

Took me quite a while to get the ocing done....

About issues though... I don't have enough platty to get farther than the castle after dark forest... so I cant tell you anything after that, nothing before for me though

KingFu
01-06-2011, 10:36 PM
yea mysitcs been running around towne saying im cooler then all of u cus i play with a droid

Don't recall ever saying that....not once...I said that about iPad though;)

Droid X runs great! I had the Droid 2, and personally, it felt laggy. Then I got the X, and I swear it runs 2 times smoother. Great speed, and the screen size makes it great! The form factor of the phone makes it nice in the hand, it's a nice size screen which is what draws me to it. Pretty nice graphics on it, not like iPhone 4 of course but still nice! I don't have a complaint for it really, since I got used to the keyboard (btw, if you can buy it, buy better keyboard, it is about 2 bucks, but makes the keyboard much much better, and I really prefer it over the default one) Other than that, I still use my iPad mostly, since it has such a large screen and I am used to it, but even though I am used to the large iPad screen, the X screen looks fine, and is still function able with me!

Fun Fact: The X's screen is a scaled size of a wide screen TV:o

EDIT:

Range, the X runs smoother than the 2 it seems. Very noticeable for me. Is it because the 2 runs on Snapdragon with a Snapdragon graphics card and the X doesn't?