PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3g lag

jazix
05-02-2010, 07:19 AM
When Pocket Legends first came out, my iPhone 3g played it decently. It gets shaky frame rates but that's to be expected on the older hardware. It was acceptable up until the mini dungeons were added. These dungeons are, for the most part, unplayable. The game will occasionally freeze up for 10-20 seconds or just play at such a slide-show fps that I can't really do anything. Most of the earlier levels play fine (laggier with more people obviously) but this seems to have gotten out of hand.

Is there any way you can tweak the memory usage for the older hardware? I have both anti aliasing and high quality turned off which helps some, but not enough to make the game playable. I have also disabled all the lag causing iPhone features such as notifications, location services, and mail fetching. I am apprehensive about purchasing the newest level pack because if it's as unplayable as these other new levels, it would be a waste of money to me.

Please advise.

asommers
05-02-2010, 09:09 AM
1.2 will certainly include code optimizations. We'll see what we can do data wise in the coming week.

-ALS

jazix
05-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Awesome. Thank you for the quick reply :)

Leave
05-02-2010, 11:43 AM
i had to test it on my neighbors 3gs, it lagged.
bad

Leave
05-02-2010, 11:58 AM
and i get around 60ping on my new belkin wireless n router 5ghz

jazix
05-02-2010, 12:11 PM
The main cause of my iPhone gaming lag is the notification services. Try turning those off along with location services and push email. Games like Warpgate and Space Miner run much smoother with these turned off for me. It definitely helps with Pocket Legends too, just not as much in the really densely populated dungeons.

Zharae
05-04-2010, 03:15 AM
Really looking forward to those code optimizations in 1.2. I've been playing Pocket Legends (on iPhone 3G over WiFi) for a week and even tho it lagged it was playable but the last couple of days has been a complete nightmare. Also played the game on my spouses 3GS which handles the game entirely differently. As it is right now the game is basically unplayable on iPhone 3G (even over WiFi).

The worst part isnt even the hardware lag but the fact that the spell menu lags, 4 times out of 5 I can't even open it. That's very problematic as we only have 4 "hot-keyed" spells. Right now I could just as well just have those 4 spells because the rest can only be used out of battle 70% of the time.

Please make this game work on iPhone 3G!

Zharae
05-05-2010, 09:15 AM
I reinstalled my iPhone and at least initially hardware lag seem to have gone down to a (still laggy but) possible level. Will keep you posted when I've played some more.

nathanyc
05-27-2010, 01:58 AM
1.2 didnt do anything to fix lag issues

Gunny
05-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Same here, 3gs all push out and nothing happend! after 1.2 the lags beginn.i tryed out all options but nothing. Its like a dia show i cant walk smooth or turn around....atm it makes no fun to play! And no i have no new Apps on my phone! I play with wifi! Heeeelp greets gunny