PDA

View Full Version : Why are there flags in Capture the Flag?

Nesox
11-06-2013, 01:14 AM
Now it has been a while since I played this game as a kid but I remember the basic principle to be to capture the opposing flag while preventing them from taking yours. Those caught trying are tagged out. However; in game it has become "bad manners" to attack the flag carrier. Killing a flagger gets you burnt as a witch. Just asking why makes you public enemy number one. Ganging and spawn killing seem to be the norm in pvp but heaven forbid you play the game.

Now last I checked, flags were a recorded stat, presumably assuming that it takes skill to avoid the other team and score a point. Since they are now a expected to be a freebe, that stat is meaningless. We might as well base guild rankings on how many Dailies we run or how many Drearys Klass gave me. So If they have no value as a measure of skill, why are they there? As a mere timer of gameplay a simple timer would be more efficient.

All sarcasm aside, how did this culture of narcassistic entitlement develop and why does it persevere? No, seriously, I am terribly confused.

Instanthumor
11-06-2013, 03:25 AM
A.K.A. "Modern CTF"

ChillyPepper
11-06-2013, 07:15 AM
i think ppl just respect some of those who are flagging for real not like... im bored so i flag....
meh i dnno as im new flagger i like it :3

Robhawk
11-06-2013, 07:23 AM
Thats AL-CTF ! When thinkin bout CTF, Quake2 CTF comes to my mind where it was a haard fight to get some flag done!

I joined some CTF-games last days and what happened? Right, flaggin and dooonnttt shooooooott me i juust flaaggg! *lol*

All these games get destroyed from the beginning because of one stupid and sorry i have to call it stupid because it is stupid 10k-flag-achievement !!!

suggestion: Take trulle from tdm (he just annoys all players there, he balances nothing! hits out of nowhere!) to CTF and let him chase all those flaggers! TY ! So we can have som good tdm-fights. Ahhh and please raise the fraglimit to 50 or so... the few good games just end to fast.

@mods: So if you want to give me a warning because i called this stupid achievement stupid, feel free to do it!

Sibayjing
11-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Don't matter, It is a pvp room, you can kill flagger if you want. You can just say, don't touch my flag

Personnally, I kill everyone and flaggers too when I can. It is not my problem his achievement :P, because I also need my kill achievevment ^^
But, be carefull, some players are resentful and call some friends for chainkill/ gang you and sometimes injure you... For don't repeat your act. It is so LOL

So play as you want and have some good friends

PS: Pm me in game If you are confronted with 2 haters, I will help you for a fair 2v2 ;)

NoobishPRO
11-06-2013, 11:23 AM
I agree with the guy, I don't get it when we kill people and they say " Why did u kill me" ? When we flag " Hey don't end yet " This really irritates me because the mere fact that its CAPTURE the flag it turns like a dm, If people want kills why don't the devs make a ctf based dm the room is like the ones in ctf, tombs but with no flags so its pure killing, wouldn't this solve our problems?

Theillist1
11-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Now it has been a while since I played this game as a kid but I remember the basic principle to be to capture the opposing flag while preventing them from taking yours. Those caught trying are tagged out. However; in game it has become "bad manners" to attack the flag carrier. Killing a flagger gets you burnt as a witch. Just asking why makes you public enemy number one. Ganging and spawn killing seem to be the norm in pvp but heaven forbid you play the game.

Now last I checked, flags were a recorded stat, presumably assuming that it takes skill to avoid the other team and score a point. Since they are now a expected to be a freebe, that stat is meaningless. We might as well base guild rankings on how many Dailies we run or how many Drearys Klass gave me. So If they have no value as a measure of skill, why are they there? As a mere timer of gameplay a simple timer would be more efficient.

All sarcasm aside, how did this culture of narcassistic entitlement develop and why does it persevere? No, seriously, I am terribly confused.

Ganku here, I agree with u totally... they should implement some rules on ctf.... add a timer or simply make it so if one team has the flag the other team cant cap until they have both flags in their possesion... another idea is... add PvP factions. Like u can only be blue if.u.choose.blue forever

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2

Higuani
11-07-2013, 09:50 AM
I played alot of games where CTF is been played. And AL is the only one where you dont need to have 2 flags to make a point. Thats some weird stuff... It would be more fun to go kill the other flagcarrier to get a capture. This is in my eyes CTF.

And in a guild war it can be intresting because you got a bunch new tactics also. Let say; you have the flag so you need 1 cover you up and the others need to hunt the flagcarrior who got your flag.
Another side if you play a normal pvp room you will get ganged like hell when you have the flag..

Or make an option on the ctf button
The ctf how it actualy is & CTF with return flag.. capture

Saribeau
11-07-2013, 11:49 AM
hey maybe there should be NO TRULLE (i hate trulle) and no kills recorded for ctf. maybe just a flag stat and this would cause more teamwork for protecting to flag. and if you assist the flagger in scoring there should be an assist stat. hey thats an idea how about assists for tdm as well? maybe less crying about ksing

Nesox
11-07-2013, 01:11 PM
I totally agree with the idea of two flags and both required for a point. This would force teamwork and help prevent non team oriented flaggers.

Nesox
11-07-2013, 01:13 PM
hey maybe there should be NO TRULLE (i hate trulle) and no kills recorded for ctf. maybe just a flag stat and this would cause more teamwork for protecting to flag. and if you assist the flagger in scoring there should be an assist stat. hey thats an idea how about assists for tdm as well? maybe less crying about ksing

Trulle is a huge pain in the a** and should vanish as well... but that is another matter.

baddiva
11-07-2013, 01:24 PM

amazing idea.... I cannot be more agree!

Sent from my LG-P970 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

wvhills
11-07-2013, 02:04 PM
the problem is the ctf room is set up to make flagging easy. In DL it was really difficult to get flags. I wish sts would import the DL map. It would also be cool to put some zombies or whatever in the middle to prevent people from just standing there all day.

Nesox
11-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Maybe all we need to do is add a +/- stat for goals scored for/against. That should turn that stagnant DM party in the center into a flagger execution squad in a hurry.

Robhawk
11-08-2013, 04:18 AM
The solution is easy:

Make a 1 person CTF map where everybody can waste thousands of hours of his/her lifetime to just walk around 30s for every flag... just 10000 times. *lol*

Nesox
11-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Well for the value that flagging has now they should just be removed from the guild ranking calclations entirely. From there STS might as well save everyone the time and sell flagging stats for plat for the now meaningless AP.

Zeus
11-10-2013, 11:25 AM
I thought the same thing, which is why I created the classic CTF tourney. :p

Primeblades
11-20-2013, 01:20 AM
I think adding new game modes to pvp would solve a lot of these problems, like one of the forum dudes posted that creating tdm except with ctf map without ctf would solve some issues, also id like new game modes like oddball, slayer, king of the hill, and anything els that comes to mind i dont care how weird as long as it isnt taking anything away from the game :D

Instanthumor
11-20-2013, 04:22 AM
OR maybe, at the beginning of the CTF brawl, each team gets to chose where to place their flag on the CTF map?

Sky_is_epicgearz
11-20-2013, 06:12 AM
ctf is no longer ctf. people flag to earn achievements, not for sake of evading the opposing team to score a point. most times a ctf ends with the following score (5-5) as result of trying to earn as much point to add onto a players flag stats.

Daddyblu
11-20-2013, 06:36 AM

I like old fashion CTF!

now a days they call you ganger or what ever.. witch is very noobish... all i can say when you enter the room kill the flagger!

thats CTF after all dont mind them trashtalking your doing the right thing.

why CTF has been change? because a lot of kids trying to make there own rules for CTF and also because of this everything is so boring now.. only free flags. very childish saying im Flagging blabla bla bla bla and when you killed them they called all there friends witch i like the most :P killing time..

Sage south
11-25-2013, 07:17 PM
Haha at 26 there's hardly any flagging. Everyone will get mad if you flag and gang you.. Totally different story down here :)