PDA

View Full Version : PvP tips against warrior

Nesox
11-06-2013, 05:59 PM
I can put up a decent fight against rogues but it is pretty rare that a heads up fight against a warrior doesn't end with me being jam. Any tactics to help our survivability?

will0
11-06-2013, 07:08 PM
For 1 single warrior, FB Stun, shield and move slightly away then shoot light / ice , pet stun if you have time it is the best then keep spamming auto attack, repeat again till he is dead and if you are lucky and have hp to continue :)

forget about heal it wont last you more to kill the warr

Instanthumor
11-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Ask woofcookie. He's OP when it comes these types of things.

Frekken
11-07-2013, 01:16 AM
I was thinking in a curse/clock/stun combo...but no plat to respect yet...anybody tried it?

moot
11-07-2013, 02:40 AM
For 1 single warrior, FB Stun, shield and move slightly away then shoot light / ice , pet stun if you have time it is the best then keep spamming auto attack, repeat again till he is dead and if you are lucky and have hp to continue :)

forget about heal it wont last you more to kill the warr
The warrior will pull you. Or skyward smash at you.

I tried firing fire, ice, light, auto attack combo on a stand still warrior that only cast heal. The warrior laugh so hard at me as it is impossible to kill him except if you disturb his heal cast. Just run or call another warrior.

This only applied on level 26 below. Idk much about endgame.

Linkincena
11-07-2013, 03:32 AM
The warrior will pull you. Or skyward smash at you.

I tried firing fire, ice, light, auto attack combo on a stand still warrior that only cast heal. The warrior laugh so hard at me as it is impossible to kill him except if you disturb his heal cast. Just run or call another warrior.

This only applied on level 26 below. Idk much about endgame.

Use Misty to get rid of stun xD

Frekken
11-07-2013, 04:50 AM
Kind of risky fight with a pet woth that particular arcane...im not a warrior tho

Robhawk
11-07-2013, 05:38 AM
Its easy: A good mage cant kill a good warrior in 1on1, period!

zwapper
11-07-2013, 09:08 AM
i disagree!!!
good mage can kill good warrior. it depends on your timing. with a right combo (skill and pet) you can make them cry. (part of their skill is with cry, i forgot the exact name but i believe it is named with cry)

LOL

Linkincena
11-07-2013, 09:16 AM
i disagree!!!
good mage can kill good warrior. it depends on your timing. with a right combo (skill and pet) you can make them cry. (part of their skill is with cry, i forgot the exact name but i believe it is named with cry)

LOL
War cry xD

matanofx
11-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Keep your distance make them use out their mana, when a warrior is low on mana hes extremely easy to kill

Then again, i suck at 1v1 lol

falmear
11-07-2013, 12:36 PM
In TDM, when I am facing a warrior I use a pet with speed like slag. If you have a speed advantage you can negate some attacks by running away and firing fireball & lightning. Unfortunately, it seems like they can stun me more often then I can stun them. And things like axe throw and skyward smash have some ridiculous range. Also even if I'm not close I can be taking damage. This is why you see some warriors just spamming their attacks because they know they can hit you without even being near them. I think you need shield and heal to prolong the fight as long as possible. So you can deplete their mana. If you're doing 1v1 in CTF, then probably using time shift with DOT damage will help. Energezic had a post about this.

drgrimmy
11-07-2013, 01:35 PM
A good mage can beat a bad warrior easily. If you meet a fully geared warrior who knows what they are doing (full mythic with glaive or maul), you are more likely than not to die. Our stuns don't work well against warriors and their range for being a melee class is ridiculous. Unlike a rogue, we don't have the power output to kill warriors fast enough before they can shield and heal, at which point just forgetaboutit. If you like a challenge, then go for it. If not, don't even engage top warriors in 1v1. It has always been this way, rogues are easy for us to kill, and a good warrior has always been much more difficult to kill.

Otawaazavie
11-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Our stuns don't work because most warriors doing pvp have juggernaut. That skill makes it impossible for mages to kill them unless they get lucky with a gun proc or a cancel of horn skill.

Nesox
11-07-2013, 04:22 PM
IMPOSSIBLE OP is my experience for sure, but since I can't indefinately avoid warriors (they seem to be breeeding like flies in pvp) I was hoping that I was just incompetent. I have used several builds but no luck. Clyde is almost usless these days. Fireball stun is far less effective than maul stun. I can't run and kite without getting smashed or dragged back. Cooldown on Heal and Shield makes prolonged battle not an option either.

WoofCookie
11-07-2013, 10:27 PM
It all depends on the warrior you're fighting. Some warriors are (in my opinion) almost impossible to kill with a mage, or at least I haven't fully discovered it yet. I'm probably going to make a warrior soon and test it out against mages and look for a weak spot somewhere. But full powered good warriors are motherF$·%·"!"·$.

I have beat certain mauls in 1v1. For Tanks I prefer using FB + Ice in 1v1 since the Double DOT can disrupt their heals. The ice slows them down giving you wiggle room, 5/5 FB decreases their hit chance by 25% and stuns.

Mage NEEDS stun pet. It's almost a must against a warrior. Slag is good and of course Sam is brilliant. Colton got some passive stuns. I'm doing a few test runs with Ethyl and am having some interesting results.

When 1v1ing against warrior (even one that is average) HEAL is a must. If you can time your stuns and know when to use your shield, count out the 2 secs of invul, time your heals. You can survive pretty long against a warrior (certain ones at least)

In the field it's a different approach entirely. FB + ICE combo works pretty well still but you can use FB light, or FB curse or what have you and still drop a tank.

Curse against tank is not so effective. But if you can drop the tanks HP enough for him to preemptively drop his heal, wait for heal to finish, and then release the curse. Spam damage and stack your crits like crazy. Yet, curse is most effective against mages and rogues. Personally curse eats the crap out of me because of my DPS.

In conclusion;

Mages CAN kill tanks. I'd say about 80% of the tanks out there are "beatable". You just need to learn your combos, know how to pull the warrior, how to use your environment and your pet. There is 20% of the tanks out there that are impossible to kill solo. Maybe once I get the arcane staff I'll try again...but until then for those 20% the best approach is to whack them in teams of mages.

It's a tough pvp arena for Mages nonetheless. Not impossible...but tough.

Instanthumor
11-07-2013, 10:32 PM
It all depends on the warrior you're fighting. Some warriors are (in my opinion) almost impossible to kill with a mage, or at least I haven't fully discovered it yet. I'm probably going to make a warrior soon and test it out against mages and look for a weak spot somewhere. But full powered good warriors are motherF$·%·"!"·$.

I have beat certain mauls in 1v1. For Tanks I prefer using FB + Ice in 1v1 since the Double DOT can disrupt their heals. The ice slows them down giving you wiggle room, 5/5 FB decreases their hit chance by 25% and stuns.

Mage NEEDS stun pet. It's almost a must against a warrior. Slag is good and of course Sam is brilliant. Colton got some passive stuns. I'm doing a few test runs with Ethyl and am having some interesting results.

When 1v1ing against warrior (even one that is average) HEAL is a must. If you can time your stuns and know when to use your shield, count out the 2 secs of invul, time your heals. You can survive pretty long against a warrior (certain ones at least)

In the field it's a different approach entirely. FB + ICE combo works pretty well still but you can use FB light, or FB curse or what have you and still drop a tank.

Curse against tank is not so effective. But if you can drop the tanks HP enough for him to preemptively drop his heal, wait for heal to finish, and then release the curse. Spam damage and stack your crits like crazy. Yet, curse is most effective against mages and rogues. Personally curse eats the crap out of me because of my DPS.

In conclusion;

Mages CAN kill tanks. I'd say about 80% of the tanks out there are "beatable". You just need to learn your combos, know how to pull the warrior, how to use your environment and your pet. There is 20% of the tanks out there that are impossible to kill solo. Maybe once I get the arcane staff I'll try again...but until then for those 20% the best approach is to whack them in teams of mages.

It's a tough pvp arena for Mages nonetheless. Not impossible...but tough.

Learn from the best...

Instanthumor
11-07-2013, 10:41 PM
In TDM, when I am facing a warrior I use a pet with speed like slag. If you have a speed advantage you can negate some attacks by running away and firing fireball & lightning. Unfortunately, it seems like they can stun me more often then I can stun them. And things like axe throw and skyward smash have some ridiculous range. Also even if I'm not close I can be taking damage. This is why you see some warriors just spamming their attacks because they know they can hit you without even being near them. I think you need shield and heal to prolong the fight as long as possible. So you can deplete their mana. If you're doing 1v1 in CTF, then probably using time shift with DOT damage will help. Energezic had a post about this.

Btw, there's only a small percentage of warriors that actually run out of mana especially fighting against mages. Since mages have such fast cooldown times for their skills, it means that warriors that much more mana with the use Vengeful Blood (98% of end-game warriors use). For me, as a warrior, I never run out of mana, and I don't even use any intel passives, and if you do plan out to wait, then you mages will probably run out of mana first. There is a solution to get around the VB, though. I'm not sure if it will work or not, for I am not a mage, but when you see warriors use VB, I would just stop attacking and keep running, and when you see that the warrior's VB effect is finished, I'd slam him with skills. Why don't you try 6 skills? Heal, shield, and timeshift for the first half minute or so, but remember not to do any upgrades on timeshift that'll inflict dmg on us. Keep doing that until you somehow realize that the warrior seems depleted of mana (don't use skills when VB is active), and switch to fire, light, and ice, and bombard the warrior with everything you have. I'm not sure, but why don't someone try... I'm curious.

Nesox
11-08-2013, 12:02 AM
Btw, there's only a small percentage of warriors that actually run out of mana especially fighting against mages. Since mages have such fast cooldown times for their skills, it means that warriors that much more mana with the use Vengeful Blood (98% of end-game warriors use). For me, as a warrior, I never run out of mana, and I don't even use any intel passives, and if you do plan out to wait, then you mages will probably run out of mana first. There is a solution to get around the VB, though. I'm not sure if it will work or not, for I am not a mage, but when you see warriors use VB, I would just stop attacking and keep running, and when you see that the warrior's VB effect is finished, I'd slam him with skills. Why don't you try 6 skills? Heal, shield, and timeshift for the first half minute or so, but remember not to do any upgrades on timeshift that'll inflict dmg on us. Keep doing that until you somehow realize that the warrior seems depleted of mana (don't use skills when VB is active), and switch to fire, light, and ice, and bombard the warrior with everything you have. I'm not sure, but why don't someone try... I'm curious.

Thanks for the warrior's perspective but I have a few issues.

1.) It is almost impossible to outrun a warrior. FB will stun for a moment but one SS and/or throwing axe will make up that distance in a hurry.
2.) Waiting out VB also means waiting out my own shield. Even a minor skirmish is instant death without shield. Holding off on the shield until after VB is depleated is also rarely an option.
3.) Switching skills mid fight takes longer than I can stay alive standing still. (at least on a tablet it does)

Instanthumor
11-08-2013, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the warrior's perspective but I have a few issues.

1.) It is almost impossible to outrun a warrior. FB will stun for a moment but one SS and/or throwing axe will make up that distance in a hurry.
2.) Waiting out VB also means waiting out my own shield. Even a minor skirmish is instant death without shield. Holding off on the shield until after VB is depleated is also rarely an option.
3.) Switching skills mid fight takes longer than I can stay alive standing still. (at least on a tablet it does)

Pertaining to #1, I'm sure there's some kind of formula and you could time your fireball so that it will stun the warrior right before he skyward smashes you or axe throws you, and time that lightning and hope for that 25% stun, but I'm not so sure.
As for #2 and #3, all I can say is GG... I play mostly on iPad (pretty similar to tablet), and when I switch skills (I have 5 skills), it doesn't take that long, maybe 2 seconds at the most. Just gotta work those finger ;)
After all, these are just suggestions from a warrior's PoV, so...go figure, dude. Lolz

Samdegreat
11-10-2013, 01:16 PM
In all my time in pvp only one mage has ever killed me 1v1 if you had to ask anyone ask ~~energizeric~~
AS MANY OF YOU KNOW IM IMMORTAL XD

Robhawk
11-11-2013, 10:43 AM
In all my time in pvp only one mage has ever killed me 1v1 if you had to ask anyone ask ~~energizeric~~
AS MANY OF YOU KNOW IM IMMORTAL XD

All the pro warriors like you or Ink, Brass, Wolfthebad will not die of a pro mage, cause warrior >>> mage in terms of 1on1! :D

I guess you were surprised by Eric and even with his strategy (Shield, Fire, Light, Clock + Ribbit + run/kite) it will just happen 1 out 10 times ! If at all... I killed Octobers with his arcane Maul with this strategy in 2 out of 2 fights but he did some respecs which were just bad! So normally we can just say: Dont try to deal 1on1 with a good warrior, even if you are a good mage! ;)

WoofCookie
11-11-2013, 03:02 PM
All the pro warriors like you or Ink, Brass, Wolfthebad will not die of a pro mage, cause warrior >>> mage in terms of 1on1! :D

I guess you were surprised by Eric and even with his strategy (Shield, Fire, Light, Clock + Ribbit + run/kite) it will just happen 1 out 10 times ! If at all... I killed Octobers with his arcane Maul with this strategy in 2 out of 2 fights but he did some respecs which were just bad! So normally we can just say: Dont try to deal 1on1 with a good warrior, even if you are a good mage! ;)

True dat! I still try...and die...but I try!

Zeus
11-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Don't use DoT vs. a jugger warrior, if that's possible, LOL!

I know if I charge AS once a warrior activates jugg, I can easily crit through his jugg. However, if I get my nox poison stacked up; gf me. Why? My Nox DoT, while it might be doing -100 poison per tick, is actually healing him +400 health per tick.

Sorcerers with fireball... watch out. :p

Venom
11-11-2013, 05:16 PM
I am in for some 1v1 with all you arcane/mythic mages.

**Looking for some free kills**

Rebownd
11-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Pic of the warrior and your mage. Ill tell you if you have a shot. For all I know you could be vsing a warrior that is well equiped

Crowsfoot
11-12-2013, 12:30 AM
I can put up a decent fight against rogues but it is pretty rare that a heads up fight against a warrior doesn't end with me being jam. Any tactics to help our survivability?

Options:

1) die quickly

2) stun/jam heal (assuming I don't have jugg mapped)

3) give up

Saribeau
11-12-2013, 08:02 AM
ive seen mages kick warrs butts, but it takes a VERY skilled mage or higher lvl. im not a very good mage i just think their fun, but a good war is pretty easy. and all my wars have high mana and high hp. i have like 2-5 dmg less than others but its worth it

Robhawk
11-12-2013, 08:23 AM
ive seen mages kick warrs butts, but it takes a VERY skilled mage or higher lvl. im not a very good mage i just think their fun, but a good war is pretty easy. and all my wars have high mana and high hp. i have like 2-5 dmg less than others but its worth it

One of the most skilled mages in this game is Energizeeric. In terms of strategies, tactics and stuff he is number 1!
So i call him "VERY skilled". ;)

Ask him about his 1 vs "1 skilled warrior" KDR... TY ;)

Cero
11-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Obvious advice would be getting the best gears and work on your pvp skills for experience. Using all top gears gives you better chances, you may not be able to become "beyond god-like" 1v1 with warriors but surely you are giving them Hell. As you keep trying there will be times that you can do better. Gears + PvP skills are the things you need.

Saribeau
11-12-2013, 09:36 AM
One of the most skilled mages in this game is Energizeeric. In terms of strategies, tactics and stuff he is number 1!

ok i will...he's in my guild

Leonard Tan
11-12-2013, 10:28 AM
That's not true. I've killed many warriors one on one easily. And I have soloed 3 average warriors alone in TMD with me coming out top with the score @ 20 (me) vs 12 (the 3 warriors).

It is possible. You need the right weapon and very quick fingers.

Leonut

Jenvy
11-12-2013, 10:31 AM
I generally try and wait out vengeful blood with stuns, shield, and panic. Kite just outside of vengeful blood range and when that debuff drops off, unleash some quick uncharged attacks. While vengeful is on cooldown, unleash hell. It'll take about 2 mins to get a warr's mana down to dangerously low levels.

Leonard Tan
11-12-2013, 10:37 AM
To add. Time your shield and heal accordingly. It is key asides to what was mentioned above. Also spec debuff on hit% or use whatever pet and weapon that does the same. You'll know what I mean when you try it.

Saribeau
11-12-2013, 12:51 PM
well lets just say I think its easier to be a good war compared to mage. on war u gotta heal venge and control mana. thats it

Haligali
11-13-2013, 07:12 AM
I can confirm, there is no chance 1-1 agains a decent warrior with glaive/maul. (maybe thats the effect of the last overall dmg nerf this season)
I tried in the past few days agains kuwaab the following builds: fireball,lightning,shield,heal; fireball,ice,shield,heal; ice,lightning,shield,heal; curse,lightning,shield,heal; curse,ice,shield,heal; fireball,ice,lightning,shield; fireball,curse,ice,shield; fireball,curse,lightning,shield. Stat attributes: full int; 50 point to str; 100 point to str. I got 0 kills. Maybe samael+mythic gun can help, or idk, have no other idea, so i give up.

inkredible
11-13-2013, 01:27 PM
coming from a warrior..

use curse after shield is down if u have curse which i found most mage have now

fireball / curse/ liightning which ever u guys use

think about jugg - when they use it, its 8s then wears off..

fighting any opponent really u gotta learn which skills they have, theyre cool down and u fight strategically based on their current weakness
ex. when 8s jugg wears off.. when 2s shields wears off.. heal cool down etc etc

when u see someone charging - try to fail it in terms of stunning them - could be heal.. and as warriors.. we dont necessarily heal
until our health like below 30%.. one heal fails - dead

have some sort of an idea how much health ur opponent have.. it wont be that hard to figure out.. watch ur damage
and watch how they move... when someone is dying.. u know they act a bit weird ;)

Robhawk
11-14-2013, 07:20 AM

I have to add: Cero and Eric , both are the Number 1 ! :adoration:

Robhawk
11-15-2013, 07:38 AM
when 8s jugg wears off.. when 2s shields wears off.. heal cool down

If you get stunned by Samael and/or arcane Maul-proc the fight is over before half of the 8s of jugger passed! This feels like getting smashed by a rogue in warriors vanitiy! :p

Nesox
11-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Well, having tried several builds and tactics my luck is still limited, especially since I am not pro by any means. I would just like to say thanks for everyone's informative input and comments thus far.

Samdegreat
11-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Ink- one heal fails dead

Not true lol, I heal twice all the time before I die... (Jug) FTW

ChillyPepper
11-22-2013, 02:12 AM
just dont attack while he's vengeful is on... your attack= mana for him.... when veng goes off attack... when he uses it again stop attack again... he spends mana and then nuke him :) but some of theme may take mana giving pets.... :/ but this kinda worked for me at 24lvl dnno how it works other lvls but i hope this helps :

Robhawk
11-22-2013, 05:39 AM
just dont attack while he's vengeful is on... your attack= mana for him.... when veng goes off attack...

If you dont shoot the warrior in 1on1 for 8s you are dead before veng has stopped... I guess without myth and arcane its somehow different at below lvlcap...

1. Warrior does Veng for 8s
2. Mage is allways kind of runnin away from warrior but he pulls you back or stuns and hits you with myth glaive/arcane maul wich has insane dmg output... so 3s of Veng gone, your hp allready dropped to 50% or below and you try to call your charged shield to have 2 seconds invu and then the warrior hits Samaels arcane and your shield just didnt happen or the shield bug applied then shield you also have no shield and the shield-skill needs cooldown... You dont have shield and he kills you in no time... or you you allready have to cast your lifegiver to not die in 1 second. If it is that way you can allready give up cause there is NO WAY to win this anymore...