PDA

View Full Version : Magic Shield of VERY limited use in PVP?

Hraefn
05-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Hey, all:

I don't know about you but I rely on Magic Shield to keep my enchantress alive. However, without access to potions in PVP, this skill might become nothing but a last resort. If you manage to survive the incoming damage, you may wind up effectively crippled, even with decent m/s regen. I suppose it remains to be seen how long these fights will last.

I'm not advocating that potion use be allowed in PVP. I'm just concerned that one of our best skills might become one of our worst.

Discuss.

Xanthia
05-02-2010, 12:00 PM
All Depends on how strong your team is, if your guild uses Ventrilo and everyone is online talking while playing, then it would be a great skill (especially if your M/S is 8 :) ), if its a PUG then I probably would not use the skill. The point is to stay alive, and if the battlegrounds are going to be primarily small, then your teammates should be able to come over and help out, while you regenerate mana, and during that time you could keep them alive with heals. Like I said, all depends on your group. In my situation I will use it alot, I trust the group I will be playing with and I know they will help out. But I like where your thinking!!

Hraefn
05-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I might have to go back to a pure INT-based build -- unless of course, the devs decided to add m/s to Blessing of Vitality. Hint, hint!

Violentsaint
05-03-2010, 01:04 AM
no potions in pvp!

without potions my paladin build wont count for ****!

my mana regen is zero!

Hraefn
05-03-2010, 09:06 AM
I built a defensive healer/debuffer with 70 armor (82 w/Magic Shield) and 4 m/s regen. However, I'm not sure that kind of armor warrants the kind of sacrifices made. After all, it seems likely that under PvP focus fire, 82 armor might prove as useless as 42. Bosses were still hitting me pretty hard even after I'd dropped both Nightmare and Weakness on them.

I wish we knew a bit more about the game mechanics.

Azrael
05-03-2010, 10:16 AM
I think it is to early to tell how effective skills will be in a pvp system that we have yet to play. We have no idea what armor ratings the mobs we are killing in pve have, and therefor have no way to judge how much of the damage we are doing to mobs is mitigated by their armor rating. We also don't know how much damage they do is mitigated, though i supsect you might get an idea if you took an unequipped level one into lost expedition for a good beating.

The point i'm trying to make is that without anything to base our ideas of how the pvp system will work, there is no way to judge what skills will be useful and which ones will not. Between stats, mitigation, speeds and of course in game lag, its to early to tell. The devs are playing their new pvp system, and i'm sure they will test the skills in combat.

We have to remember that this game is a work in progress. Our input has been valued by the devs and the community is strong on the spacetime forums. At the moment however, the player are very much in the dark until we actually have a chance to experience pvp.

Hraefn
05-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Agreed. All I know at this point is that if my mana supply gets wiped out, it takes forever to regen. However, the defensive build I mentioned earlier may prove to have enough damage mitigation to hang onto some of its mana -- as well as some of its life. Who knows?

It'll be fun finding out, though.