PDA

View Full Version : Opinions and feedback on the damage nerf

mountains
11-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Hello everyone,

I twinked low levels a lot in late 2012 and early-mid 2013 and I really enjoyed it. I was away for 3 months and came back because I heard that forg bows were nerfed. I found out that I could do almost no damage on my 23 mage which used kite/nuke builds when I came back. I went on the forums and found out that there was a damage nerf in pvp that was supposed to make fights "interesting" and "strategic." Right away when I saw this piece of news, I got quite upset, because I loved how pvp was before forgotten came out. I tried a few more rounds, and after that I thought that the so called "more strategic" and "interesting" should be called "longer" and "dull." I came back just days after the nerf set in, and there were still people playing at low levels, but later I observed that the number of low level twinks started declining rapidly in the 22-27 range, especially birds, who heavily relied on dodging/and forg bows. Low levels(20-22) are dominated by rhinoes and foxes now, who use ridiculously overpowered rhino-3 piece plat pack. Bears have also become overpowered. Most bears I see are wearing the bear-4 piece plat pack, which is also very overpowered, and has become more overpowered because of the damage nerf. Everyone in low levels is using tank builds, because it's impossible to nuke. I'd say that the nerf probably helped endgame a lot, but has completely busted low levels, it's like a seesaw. I appreciate sts's efforts to balance out pvp, but I'd have to say that they unbalanced it even more. Birds: impossible to use in low levels. Bears: dominates low levels. Foxes: dominates low levels. Rhinoes: dominates low levels. Mages: Average in low levels. Like many people said, the solution is to not nerf damage as a whole, but to nerf overpowered sets, like 56 sm, savage etc. Finally, did we even ask for a damage nerf? From my understanding, NO. Endgamers probably wanted a nerf because they deal way too much dmg, but most low lvls liked pvp how it was before.

I'd also have to say that although sts put in some effort to make pvp better, they made it terrible for players who liked it as it was. I think sts should remove the damage nerf, and come up with solutions that would make everyone happier, such as nerfing overpowered sets. If sts doesn't want to nerf low level plat sets or other sets, removing the damage nerf would also give other non-plat users a chance against those overpowered sets. I feel like low level pvp is very, very, very dull right now, sometimes I get so bored that I consider quitting again. I know different people have different opinions, but I'm sure that many low level twinkers will agree with what I'm saying. If they could restore pvp to before the forgotten era, since no one uses them anymore, that would be best.

Heroelite
11-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Yeah the damage nerf hit hardest on twink levels, and I feel like they need to go. I disagree that bears are over powered that level, it's just the gear. The strength plat pack makes any class op, and it's pretty much what all bears, rhinos, and foxes use these days. Mage is still the strongest class that level, however there are not that many skilled mages remaining.

mountains
11-12-2013, 06:08 PM
I agree. Pvp is so messed up now because of these packs. If sts devs made twinks themselves they would feel what they've done to pvp.

WhoIsThis
11-12-2013, 10:24 PM
I oppose them. I feel that they should go back to their old levels, but that all buffs should be capped at 6 points.

That said, I feel a dodge cap is needed at 67% and that crit values of over 100% need to be useful. I've made a pretty long post about it.

Kingzila
11-13-2013, 01:59 AM
Oh boy this again...

Extreme
11-13-2013, 06:09 AM
I oppose them. I feel that they should go back to their old levels, but that all buffs should be capped at 6 points.

That said, I feel a dodge cap is needed at 67% and that crit values of over 100% need to be useful. I've made a pretty long post about it.

I agree, Skill points capped at 6 seem to be a way to rebalance abit, I've never thought of the dodge cap but that way seems to be a good one too.

Cheenivie
11-13-2013, 07:42 AM
I agree, Skill points capped at 6 seem to be a way to rebalance abit, I've never thought of the dodge cap but that way seems to be a good one too.

But if they bring skill points back to 6 they will have to make news skills because we would have extra points..

Caiahar
11-13-2013, 08:48 AM
But if they bring skill points back to 6 they will have to make news skills because we would have extra points..

Yeah, people would have to put points in stuff they don't need.
Ex: Birds meditations and restore
Bears restore
Mages...wel all of their skills are useful..so ice storm?
rhino, summon and brute force
Fox, bandage

The skills points don't need to be reverted back to 6, their stats needs to be nerfed.

Trenton
11-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Yeah, people would have to put points in stuff they don't need.
Ex: Birds meditations and restore
Bears restore
Mages...wel all of their skills are useful..so ice storm?
rhino, summon and brute force
Fox, bandage

The skills points don't need to be reverted back to 6, their stats needs to be nerfed. Their stats didn't even need to be nerfed, it ruined all round pvp for birds and changed the 10-50 fights meaning they got more boring. They just needed to leave the skills alone and fix the endgame sets, as no one was complaining at 61 and down, other than L20 rhinos, which could be fixed with a plat pack nerf (gear ofc.) The 9 skills give a sort of range of ways to make builds, and I think alot of people liked it alot better than 6 skills, which is why alot of people prefer 66+ for the so to say diversity of builds.

MightyMicah
11-13-2013, 11:33 AM
I agree. Pvp is so messed up now because of these packs. If sts devs made twinks themselves they would feel what they've done to pvp.

I found my new best friend ;)

Very excellent post! I feel like you just spoke my mind exactly. Even to the point where you said you felt like quitting again. Like seriously, I couldn't agree more. Hopefully STS will make a twink or two and listen to us.

Sheugokin
11-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Wow. STG has messed up big time. How can we bring it to STG's attention? Hopefully, they don't just totally overlook this thread.

WhoIsThis
11-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Wow. STG has messed up big time. How can we bring it to STG's attention? Hopefully, they don't just totally overlook this thread.

The answer is that they were looking for a quick fix. Balancing a game isn't that simple. That's why for a well balanced game, it would require changes on par with the thread that I wrote.

The majority of developers in the majority of games do not play their games at a high level. This is nothing unique to MMOs. it happens in RTS and FPS games as well. Hence, it's hard for them to understand why a mechanic or ability could be powerful in ways that they never dreamed of. In any game, whenever a new mechanic is introduced, it's often the players that figure out an exploit. This is why there are issues after a game has been released. (First because these days, a lot of game companies don't allocate the QA testing and Open Betas that they should - they're too focused on meeting poorly thought out and inflexible deadlines, which in turn are set by publishers who are too focused on making a fast sell rather than long term brand viability). But the other reason is that good players themselves are always looking for the ways to optimize, to min-max.

Take for example the use of fox and rhino high speed moving in CTF. I do not believe that the developers ever intended for it to be the way it was, but nowadays, it's not uncommon for a fox or a rhino to slip past people with their abilities, making interception very difficult and large "fights to reach the flag" less common. This has in many ways, unbalanced CTF.

Impact
11-15-2013, 10:37 AM
The 30s and 40s are boring now All mages and bears

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Roberto077
11-15-2013, 01:18 PM
I forget who made the actually suggestion, but someone said they should scale to damage reduc based on level.

I thought it was great, but it never got implemented or announced by the devs.

I also agree that long fights are boring and dull. That's why I'm strictly PvE in every Legends game except PL.

WhoIsThis
11-15-2013, 02:06 PM
I forget who made the actually suggestion, but someone said they should scale to damage reduc based on level.

I thought it was great, but it never got implemented or announced by the devs.

I also agree that long fights are boring and dull. That's why I'm strictly PvE in every Legends game except PL.

I made that suggestion in my long thread.
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?122775-Game-mechanics-and-equipment-a-thread-to-reform-PL-and-re-establish-class-balance

But yeah, it never got implemented.