PDA

View Full Version : The infamous "Lag Spike", server disconnects, etc.

asommers
11-12-2010, 02:52 PM
We are finally able to reproduce the intermittent lag spike problems in-house. What it required was a more social developer (Facebook, email push, push notifications, etc.) whose device would encounter these problems over 3G or Wifi for us to be able to track it down.

We compared devices, ran a few tests, and determined that any one of the following could interrupt your network connection to Pocket Legends thereby affecting game play:

1) Email push enabled
2) Push notifications enabled
3) Other applications that require network access (eg. internet music streaming)
4) Other applications running simultaneously
5) Poor network connection
6) Incorrectly configured router if playing over Wifi

With 1-4 disabled, there were no lag spikes when playing on the devices that had them previously, 3G or Wifi.

Pocket Legends requires a constant, stable internet connection. If your device is doing anything other than playing Pocket Legends (and it may be doing other things based on how you have configured other applications), you may encounter what appears to be slow performance, or high ping.

-ALS

KingFu
11-12-2010, 02:55 PM
I have iPad, so no multitasking. No, don't have oust enabled, and wi fi works fine, just in PL vie been having 700-1.9K ping.

jonboy
11-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Nice detective work.

Spiritualist
11-12-2010, 06:35 PM
But MD, you could still have other pushes and notifications set on iPad even with no multitasking. No?

smoae
11-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Well there wasn't much lag to begin with for me, but now that I turned push notifications off there is no lag, even with bad connection!
Thanks devs.

regie831
11-12-2010, 07:11 PM
well I've turn off my notifications, multitasking, and turned off push on my mail...and until now no lag so far, so thanks devs

jonboy
11-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Yes no lag spikes so far that went the routers fault ie kids swamping re wifi.

Rusalio
11-12-2010, 08:59 PM
yeah, got too IPADS and disabled the facebook model and has worked pretty flawlessly. Also disable un-needed option in the router like VPN and voip/multimedia streams ports that are enabled by default... most folks don't do that. Also make sure you have the latest firmware and that you are not responding to pings on the outside nic of your router.... heheeheh all this from a Network Tech......

Splurd
11-12-2010, 10:30 PM
What it required was a more social developer Implying your developers were not very social people? :p

Lesrider
11-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks, illntry this out next time im playing. Hope it works!

Futumsh
11-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Cave trolls aren't very social ;)

skimmey
11-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Well there wasn't much lag to begin with for me, but now that I turned push notifications off there is no lag, even with bad connection!
Thanks devs.

is something like a push notification on a htc desire as well or does these clues only apply for apple products?

addiekai
11-15-2010, 05:38 PM
is something like a push notification on a htc desire as well or does these clues only apply for apple products?

Only Apple for that :)

Ogediah
11-20-2010, 03:54 AM
Is it possible to integrate an option for "game mode" in pocketlegends that would shut down push notifications, etc while in game, then allow them to resume when we exit?
I know apple is a bit of an *** about accessing things outside of your own package, so i completely understand if this impossible. I just think it would be a convenient game option to have.

noobmigo
11-20-2010, 10:14 AM
This really works.

Antiturmoil
11-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Strangly I have excellent connection on my Iphone3 but crap connection on my Iphone4. Everything is the same, I have them synced with the same push setting and still the Iphone4 have approx 1400 in ping and the Iphone3GS have approx 200 in ping. I always play over WIFI but on the 4 its not doable at all. Bad enough I bought the Iphone4 just to play PL more or less...

HELP!

Kurlz
11-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Cave trolls aren't very social ;)

so, ur a troll?!?

Antiturmoil
11-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Am I the only one that experience bad ping on my Iphone4 and not on my Iphone3GS, Im playing the game at the same time but still different ping...

addiekai
11-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Im getting consistent 900+ pings on my iPhone 4, but 200-300+ on my iPad....

Weird ain't it o.o

supremo502
11-23-2010, 07:50 AM
this works on Android as well.. turn off Background Data. on HTC devices go to Settings>Sync>Uncheck Background Data.

edit
I cant believe I played to level 49 with constant FPS drops in dungeons cuz several apps were synching/running in the background on my HTC Evo lol

Bboi
12-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Hi guys!

I been experiencing lag issues for quite sometime now. In the beginning I didnt have any lag at all (well less than 300). but since I think 2 patches ago I've been getting painful lag spikes.

I normally don't post these things on forums but what happened to me couple of days ago takes the cake. I didn't believe it at first but i make a SS of it just in case...so here it is:

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/3372/001uy.png

If the image doesn't open well it was a ping of 95.776!!

I read this thread I did what it said and now I have a constant ping 700 - 2k+

I'm on a iPhone 4. I also read that others have problems on iphone 4 while playing but not on other devices.

Does anyone (or dev team) know more and have an idea on how to fix this? No point for me to spend money on packs and stuff if i have this kinda of lag.

bladesword
12-03-2010, 09:15 AM
1. there isn't a decimal place in lag.
2. Lag is very common.
4. How is this a technical issue?

Kinson
12-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi guys new to here.

Vie been playing around with this a bit as I have issues with lag spikes pretty bad.

I've got an iPhone 3GS running latest firmware and an iPad also running latest firmware. With the 3GS I'm getting a constant and stable 200 average ping which runs the game fine. This is on my home network (wifi) and have tried on another network too with no issues. On it's own 3G connection I get about 400 ping which still runs the game fine.

On the iPad however, on my home network, I get massive lag spikes with the ping racing around between 200 and 2500 which is making the game almost unplayable. What is interesting to note is that if I tether the 3G connection from my iPhone to my iPad, I get a stable ping of 400 on the iPad. I've played around with settings on both the iPhone and iPad which have made no difference. I've even tried messing about with the router at home and even setting the iPad in the DMZ. Still no joy.

So, question is... Why does the iPad get a fairly ok ping using a 3G connection sent from my iPhone, yet is awful on any wifi?

omnipresence
12-13-2010, 06:24 PM

They're obviously from Europe. They use their commas and periods completely backwards from us.

95.776,00 in EU = 95,776.00 in the US.

Wysee
12-14-2010, 04:20 AM
2nd generation iTouch here, get lagspikes a LOT. Will try setting my push notifications to of and update this :)

Add: Well, i turned it of and played a game or so. No lagspikes except a few small ones (just up to 3k ping then down again).

SilentKingdom
12-23-2010, 01:31 AM
When I first started playing, everything was fine. Then about a few days in, I'd maybe experience one lag spike a gaming session. Now I'm constantly running in to lag spikes of 30-60K ping average. This is resulting in alot of deaths, and alot of wasted times and potions. I just purchased the holiday pack, and I've tried 3 times to play through it. Died twice from lag and left last time out of pure frustration. What a waste of potion and time :(

chrisasnara
02-09-2011, 07:15 AM
why i cant play PL untill now. im using ipod touch 8 gb. and use wifi connection, and my last update not like this. can someone give me solution? already try reinstall about 3 times, already turn off push option. and my wifi connection is good. thanks for your understanding because im level 50 now and need level to 55

DorSpiner
02-18-2011, 07:40 AM
Anyone have an idea how i turn off this push
1) Email push enabled
3) Other applications that require network access

ghosty222
03-22-2011, 11:52 PM
my ipod 4g running latest fireware 16gb with everything disabled in settings besides wifi i still get 7-70k ping lag :( and my internet works like a charms i dont get why i still lagg :(

Corpser
03-23-2011, 02:27 AM
We are finally able to reproduce the intermittent lag spike problems in-house. What it required was a more social developer (Facebook, email push, push notifications, etc.) whose device would encounter these problems over 3G or Wifi for us to be able to track it down.

We compared devices, ran a few tests, and determined that any one of the following could interrupt your network connection to Pocket Legends thereby affecting game play:

1) Email push enabled
3) Other applications that require network access (eg. internet music streaming)
4) Other applications running simultaneously
5) Poor network connection
6) Incorrectly configured router if playing over Wifi

With 1-4 disabled, there were no lag spikes when playing on the devices that had them previously, 3G or Wifi.

Pocket Legends requires a constant, stable internet connection. If your device is doing anything other than playing Pocket Legends (and it may be doing other things based on how you have configured other applications), you may encounter what appears to be slow performance, or high ping.

-ALS

you forgot one if you lock an i device while playing pl you unlock and you can get disconnected or lag extremly badly

bwarri
04-05-2011, 06:23 PM
I have an Iphone4 and have been getting very long lags and been unable to access at all this pm. Useless!

Madworlds
04-13-2011, 12:27 PM
I get those crazy lag spikes on my TMobile MyTouch 4G (Android 2.2.1); whether or not I use my WIFI.

I have all Push/Sync/Location Services turned off and I can not seem to figure it out.

I connect to the same WIFI on my Ipod Touch and do not have any issues.

Is anyone out there who is having the same problem and has solved it?

please, please let me know - thanks.

LADYHADASSA
04-13-2011, 12:44 PM
yeah, got too IPADS and disabled the facebook model and has worked pretty flawlessly. Also disable un-needed option in the router like VPN and voip/multimedia streams ports that are enabled by default... most folks don't do that. Also make sure you have the latest firmware and that you are not responding to pings on the outside nic of your router.... heheeheh all this from a Network Tech......

i am on impad most of the time some lag has occured recentley.. Nice work devs on informing... Great idea Ruselio just asked my boy wonder he face plamed and said of course! Lol he said thak that dude it was so simple i knew that!!! Lol lol lol

Register
05-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Every now and again at least 5 times a week, i would say something and my little chat bubble wouldnt come up and my ping would rise to around 2000 which at that point i decided to just sit back and watch expecting me to die if/when the ping lowered..
The ping would rise to insanely high numbers so i might end the appilication or if im feeling in a good mood, just watch how high it goes.
Anyways, it usually rises to around 60k but a few days ago, the game decided to go kamekazi on me and shoot to 120k!
Then the ping froze and i was thinking good it finally stopped and then a thing came up saying that i was disconnected to the server..After that i just laughed and thought of how high the ping can actually go..
I wonder if i broke some kind of record of slow gaming..
Anyways, i had all of the other internet stuff turned off and i was wondering if there is anything i could do to prevent that from happening because all like 15 of my deaths were caused from that :mad:

Tengotengo
05-11-2011, 01:08 AM
a 120k lag spike probably means you had no way of coming back from it, as that's as high as it goes. You lost internet somehow, and it was bad enough to not be regained. I think most services try to reconnect after a minute of failed sends, which explains the 60k.

I ping at 2500 when I get texts and go up to 10k when my phone syncs...

davidis57
06-01-2011, 12:13 AM
High pings are back these last two days. Ping jumps around and excessive lag are making it difficult to play. Ping will finally jump over 100k and disconnect me. Once I get back on I only have partial sound sometimes very little sound at all. I am wondering if the sound and the lag have something to do with the other. This morning I played with no lag at all. After lunch it was unplayable.

Drzak
06-06-2011, 10:09 AM
I've only been playing for a few days and i'm lucky if I can get ten minutes without being lagged to death or kicked. It won't put me off because the game is just too much fun but it's a bit of a shame. Maybe it's for the best sometimes as the hours can fly by :p but I do hope it gets sorted soon.(GS ll)

JaytB
06-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Makes sense... I'm going to try it today :D

Drzak
06-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Well I still keep getting kicked. I'm wondering if it's coz i'm using a Galaxy S 2 and perhaps the next patch may address it. I'm not moaning as a freeloader as I buy platinum but please try and fix this devs. You've put so much hard work in to an amazing game....

GRIAZEHOS

Drzak
06-11-2011, 08:16 AM
2. Lag is very common.
4. How is this a technical issue?

It's not just about lag, some of us keep getting kicked constantly and have fast phones. I tried to play yesterday for about 4 hours and out of that got about 20 mins. I buy platinum so i'm not a whinging freeloader I just want to play this great game.

TaQ
06-12-2011, 02:50 AM
Don't wanna make new topic so I'll ask on this.

I've just downloaded PL from app store. Wanna start Play but every time when I connect to server I'm disconnecting after 10 sec. I turned off everything what admin mention in this post, I'm trying play over my 3G, ping between 100-300 but still I'm disconnecting even with ping 100. On wi-fi everything is ok, just 3G doesn't work. And mostly I have time to play over my 3G than wi-fi, any ideas what can fix that?

iPhone 4 not jailbroken,

BlackLight
06-14-2011, 09:45 AM
I have been getting terrible lag spikes these past few days as well. I have been playing this game for about two weeks, and the first week or so was perfectly fine until recently. The problem gets bad for me in dungeons or while viewing CS - every time i enter a room I might lag and the ping shoots up to several thousand or sometimes even 5 digit (roughly 20sec or so of "freeze"), then everything fast forwards and I resume normal ping, only to find the room has been cleared now. The same repeats for virtually every room. I ask around in the game and I get some similar responses from other players as well, but not everyone. Also the lag seems to be during a fixed time of the day.

Just posting this in the hope that the devs would take note of this issue and hopefully be able to resolve it. It is very frustrating. :(

Thanks!

Drzak
07-16-2011, 07:28 AM
I keep getting kicked/force closed at any time, anywhere for what ever reason. Game is now unplayable. SG SII

elianel
07-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Yeah sometime lag them I turn my iPhone off and on and work good

Drzak
07-21-2011, 10:14 AM
sometimes i suffer a huge lag spike and kicks, sometimes it doesn't - but usually does. Sometimes it just kicks without lag spike. Normally when in a group doing a mission.
SG S2. The temp of it's cpu used to get very hot (50c) and i thought it was cpu but it doesn't even last long enough for cpu to hit 40c.
Should I delete it/ uninstall then re-install? It worked fine on my ipad but i had to sell it. Dont understand why it wont work properly on a better device. Must not be as good a device as reviews said.

Does anyone else have a SGS2 and what software do you have that might cause or prevent this?
Great game, need my fix!!

Drzak
07-21-2011, 10:42 AM
kicked in dungeon for no reason, no ping spike

Drzak
07-21-2011, 11:19 AM
uninstalled then re-installed, latest patch. Kicked in dungeon.

rockmayhem
07-23-2011, 12:41 AM
I shut every thing down and still get the ping going up, then the screen freezes, slows down, doesn't show npc's ect.. next thing I know I'm dead. I can deal with the stalls just not the deaths. How can I prevent this, and what exactly is ping?

Drzak
08-02-2011, 01:19 PM
just tried again, worked like a dream for 1/2 an hour but then force closed, real shame

Econodeath
08-10-2011, 10:47 AM
I am so happy I joined the forums!!!!
I have just recently found some people that are great to play with and I feel horrible because I get a huge lag and see ping going nuts and when it goes back to normal everyone is way ahead or dead. Then I apologize and quit the game. This is a huge help and so far so good. I can enjoy this
amazing game again!!!!! I knew it had to be some kind of settings on my phone. I rarely get it on ipad which has no push settings enabled as it is a family toy for my wife and son as well as myself.
For everyone that put time into this many many thanks!!!!!
I am going to go kill something.
lol :love-struck::love-struck::love-struck:

SuRfY
11-15-2011, 08:43 AM
This is what i experienced in Star Legends.

bglir
12-29-2011, 05:05 AM
I have serious lagg issue, it started during nuris it was not that bad but mt fang comes out it started to get bad, my ping always jumps and i froze a lot, in pve or pvp even tough ping is low i will see it get stuck for a few sec if the fight is intense, and teleport is common thing, for instant in PVP or CTF the player was far and i was about to buff and attack and than boom i was dead and sometimes chasing other players to make a kill even tough i was really close and release everything i have its have no affect or it disappears seeing it already far away, even the auto is not on during attack, tried everything to disable anything that could cause ping spike in my ipad 2 and samsung galaxy note, but still that didn't work, i use 3G with up to 7.2Mbps speed data access plan, signal is good and i use it only for playing Pocket Legends, hope to find a solution for this problem, im in asia in a small country call Brunei, is it the distance of the signal travel causing the problem or just my internet sucks, but still i exploring out other option to solve the problem.

Pocket legends Rocks and i can't have enough of it.

yushiuan1127
03-17-2012, 10:17 AM
why I pay this game is so so so~~ LAG, the ping is not high, ping is 4XX~8XX, but when I playing the game, anything is lag.
not only I play this is LAG, but also my girlfriend, too.
i cant understand why the server is very BAD!
but I have to say, its a good game, few weeks ago, I dont meet the "LAG", its happened in last week till today!

ScarletDagger
04-22-2012, 09:34 AM
I am having a horrible disconnection problem. I have been trying to get on my pl. Account with my original E-mail but it'll load up to my character only. If I do anything at all, it immediately says disconnected or it'll go straight back to the log in button. It let me play sometime yesterday, but it started disconnecting again. So I decided to investigate the situation. I created. A new E-mail account and it's been working perfect. No disconnection. But I go back to my main E-mail and still get disconnections. I think I'm being hacked but I'm not sure. I'm waiting for another playable time so I can accept on all 3 characters on that E-mail as a friend to see if someone is hacking me.

Silentarrow
04-22-2012, 09:55 AM
I am having a horrible disconnection problem. I have been trying to get on my pl. Account with my original E-mail but it'll load up to my character only. If I do anything at all, it immediately says disconnected or it'll go straight back to the log in button. It let me play sometime yesterday, but it started disconnecting again. So I decided to investigate the situation. I created. A new E-mail account and it's been working perfect. No disconnection. But I go back to my main E-mail and still get disconnections. I think I'm being hacked but I'm not sure. I'm waiting for another playable time so I can accept on all 3 characters on that E-mail as a friend to see if someone is hacking me.

You should change your email and your password on the original account

ScarletDagger
04-22-2012, 04:16 PM
You should change your email and your password on the original account
I'm trying but no matter where I go or what I do it keeps disconnecting

Boey
08-19-2012, 08:52 AM
It is evident the server is suffering lag issues.

It is time you spend some money upgrading your servers. How can my ping cannot be consistent when I play other games, the ping is also at that range MINUS the spikes (which happen very often on PL). SL I get it on and off but PL was the worst. I can say very surely it is the server issue.

razerfingers
08-19-2012, 09:20 AM
It is evident the server is suffering lag issues.

It is time you spend some money upgrading your servers. How can my ping cannot be consistent when I play other games, the ping is also at that range MINUS the spikes (which happen very often on PL). SL I get it on and off but PL was the worst. I can say very surely it is the server issue.

I agree because with me having stable 135-284 ping i shouldnt feel like im lagging and it only jump to the 300s not even red ping and it freezes and crashes sometimes in pve and pvp its getting rediculous im not gonna pay money for plat to level to 71 if i get some weird lag spike and freeze and it crashes no id rather buy a hat or shoes for $50

Sent using spray paint from a "can"