PDA

View Full Version : Recent Changes to Gale Force

Energizeric
11-17-2013, 02:25 AM
I know I'm a bit late to this discussion, so I figured I'd start a new thread. This week for the first time I did a respec for flagging, and added Gale Force for the forward dash to help me flag faster. But as I've been playing with this skill, I've wondered how useful it would be in other ways in both pvp and pve, and I think there needs to be a few changes.

First of all, I'll mention that the skill does NOT need to become more powerful in any way to be more useful. However, the upgrades need to be grouped differently. Here is how I would change the upgrades:

1) Outward Squall - "converts your charged gale force to be an area-of-effect attack." -- this is good, however see #4 below for comments.

2) Protect Current - "charging up your gale force will grant you an armor bonus of +50% for 4 seconds" -- this is good as is. No changes necessary here.

3) Speed of Wind - "gale force will increase your movement speed by 25% for 5 seconds. Charging up gale force will also make you dash forward". -- here is where changes are needed. Separate this into 2 separate upgrades as follows:

"Speed of Wind" - "Gale force will increase your movement speed by 25% for 5 seconds."

"Dash of Wind" - "Charging up gale force will make you dash forward."

The reason for this suggested change is that many people would like the speed increase for both PvE and PvP without having to dash forward, which can be suicide in elites. Yet, you would want to charge the skill to receive the armor bonus and AoE. As is, you are either forced to have the Dash and the speed boost or neither. Give us a choice of which one we want.

The only other possibility I see regarding this issue is to make it so we can control the dash. For example, what if the dash only happens when you are running, and when you are standing still and not touching the directional pad, then you do not dash forward. Perhaps that would solve this issue for many of us, although I can still see the occasional "oops" and then you end up dead because you flew forward into an elite mob. But if this sort of adjustment is beyond the scope of what is possible in this game, then I stand by my previous suggestion.

4) Weighted Wind - "enemies knocked down by gale force have the potential to stay down for 2 additional seconds." -- This is not needed as a separate upgrade. Group this with "Outward Squall" above. Trust me, everyone who would want the area-of-effect attack would also want the enemies to have the potential to stay down for 2 additional seconds.

If you make these changes you would still have the same number of upgrades, and the skill would not add any new abilities, so balance in the game would be unchanged. But it would allow sorcerers to have more choice in how they want this skill to be used. Because right now it is only useful for flagging, otherwise there is really no other reason I could see to use it.

And if you are worried about the issue of how do you handle things if someone already has the upgrade being eliminated, well now they would have an extra skill point available since it was eliminated.

JaytB
11-17-2013, 02:46 AM
I suggested similar changes to gale in the past and hope STS will consider your suggestions.

I actually ditched Gale on my PvE sorc when they made those last changes.

Let's hope they'll bring back the AoE/armor/speed combo for PvE.