PDA

View Full Version : People's builds may be ruined?

Vigilant
05-02-2010, 03:49 PM
I have been looking at tons of posts on here about different builds. Ive seen a number of different cool fun to play builds.

BUT there's a catch.

With the new PvP coming out there may be a problem if all the "fun to play, ownage builds" want to participate in PvP.

In this THREAD (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?1168-Upcoming-System-PvP-%28Player-vs.-Player%29/page4) (scroll down to see post), asommers says there will be NO POTION USAGE IN PvP!

This mean's all the "cool" builds which spam mana pots to use there skills (which is 3/4 of the "ownage" builds) will be screwed.

This is why I am making a bowchress with a good amount of Int so I don't need to spam pots 24/7 and I will be able to enjoy PvP when it comes out.

Discuss it here!

Azrael
05-02-2010, 03:55 PM
first off the bow chantress with int wont have that great of an m/s score. Probably 1-2 points of magic regen. Its not impressive compared to the 8-9 a cloth wearing chantress can have.

Second off while i think a 30 second cooldown on pots would be better than none at all, there is no reason poting should be allowed to go on in pvp. It will ruin it. It is common practice for MMORPGs to have different builds required for optimal pvp vs pve. Thats as it should be. And really having to change one or two skills isn't going to break most builds... and most builds, most notably that of enchantresses, will be almost completely unchanged.

I suggest you wait until it is released before assuming a specific class build will be optimal.

Vigilant
05-02-2010, 04:06 PM
first off the bow chantress with int wont have that great of an m/s score. Probably 1-2 points of magic regen. Its not impressive compared to the 8-9 a cloth wearing chantress can have.

Second off while i think a 30 second cooldown on pots would be better than none at all, there is no reason poting should be allowed to go on in pvp. It will ruin it. It is common practice for MMORPGs to have different builds required for optimal pvp vs pve. Thats as it should be. And really having to change one or two skills isn't going to break most builds... and most builds, most notably that of enchantresses, will be almost completely unchanged.

I suggest you wait until it is released before assuming a specific class build will be optimal.

Wait till it's released? It's common sense, a build that needs pot spamming to be a half decent build will be crushed.

Yea, there should be PvE and PvP builds. But I'm saying the people with these kinds of builds won't really enjoy PvP as they will get crushed.

Demarrer
05-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Wait till it's released? It's common sense, a build that needs pot spamming to be a half decent build will be crushed.

Yea, there should be PvE and PvP builds. But I'm saying the people with these kinds of builds won't really enjoy PvP as they will get crushed.

Make a new one? You are saying this like this is a surprise to any game. The devs announced a long time ago PvP was on their to-do list. If you really thought they would allow pots in PvP like they are now, well all I can say is think next time.

Biggest
05-02-2010, 04:23 PM
My concern with PvP is basically this: http://www.wow.com/2009/11/13/blizzard-arenas-were-a-mistake/

A.I. doesnt QQ when they get owned by unfair balance issues, so in PvE players can get all these wild crazy moves to use against them without consequence.

When PvP comes out, players will demand all kinds of nerfs and with good reason. If the devs respond, there goes much of the PvE fun.

Still I'm excited about it. Mostly because the challenge level will skyrocket, people are so much better than AI... But if it's done right it will take over the game

Dungeons will still be needed for leveling and loot, but everyone will be pvp spec and using gimped pvp skills....kind of boring

I dunno we'll see!
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

Vigilant
05-02-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm not acting like it's a suprise, I'm just saying it will suck.

Yeah they announced PvP a while ago but never said potions would be disabled?

Demarrer
05-02-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm not acting like it's a suprise, I'm just saying it will suck.

Yeah they announced PvP a while ago but never said potions would be disabled?

Umm, I'm just saying a person is idiotic if they thought the unlimited potion spam like we have now would be possible in PvP.

Hurs
05-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Forum tension rising...

Vigilant
05-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Umm, I'm just saying a person is idiotic if they thought the unlimited potion spam like we have now would be possible in PvP.

Who said that they thought they would have unlimited potion spam?

Hurs
05-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Either way, it was pretty obvious that there were going to be some severe potion restrictions involved with PvP, and making a cooldown system JUST for PvP wouldn't have made much sense.

Demarrer
05-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Who said that they thought they would have unlimited potion spam? It's idiotic if they think that there might be potions but with a cool down? I think you are idiotic for thinking people are retarded. I for one thought there was going to be at least pots and a cool down. So how are they idiotic for that?

First off I never once said that eliminating potions from PvP was the only way to go, so calm your jets. However, potions shouldn't be in PvP anyways because it takes away from a persons true skill by relying completely on an item. Secondly, why can't those same templates work with a potion cool down? Sure they might need a few tweaks but it is still possible. You really need to relax and stop putting words in my mouth.

Vigilant
05-02-2010, 05:14 PM
First off I never once said that eliminating potions from PvP was the only way to go, so calm your jets. However, potions shouldn't be in PvP anyways because it takes away from a persons true skill by relying completely on an item. Secondly, why can't those same templates work with a potion cool down? Sure they might need a few tweaks but it is still possible. You really need to relax and stop putting words in my mouth.

I am relaxed bro, I am actually enjoying this argument. All though it's getting intense, lets go ahead and cool it down.

I am not putting words in your mouth, you stated it, I just restated what you stated

Vigilant
05-02-2010, 05:24 PM
The only thing I stated is people would be idiotic to think the potion system as it works now would be the one that existed in PvP.

Yes but, what if they thought there would be cool down?

I thought there would be.

Overall sucks though if you have those "special" builds and like PvP and PvE.

Demarrer
05-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Yes but, what if they thought there would be cool down?

I thought there would be.

Overall sucks though if you have those "special" builds and like PvP and PvE.

To be honest I thought they were going to have a cool down as well, but remember that this is the first stage of PvP. This company has proven they tweak things instantly, so we can always see tweaks to these things. It isn't even out yet, so we don't know how the damage to each player will be. If it takes a long time to kill someone potions would just make things boring.

haroldiv
05-02-2010, 05:36 PM
I for one have two hybrid chars and Love that there will be no pots at all, I hope it stays that way.

These epic builds you are worried about are anything but epic. if they require you to spam pots to get anything done that is super lame anyway. If a normal build Mage uses mana shield and spams potions they can do the same amount damage.

The best hybrids can manage without pots. the only reason pots exist is to provide an option to speed up pve. They are not meant to be a crutch for 1 dimensional flashy chars.

A great example would be the popular bird tank.... Know that if u got this route u need to know you will never replace a bear. It's ok you can be insanely useful, just not in that way. U can secondary tank mobs in big pulls but your focus should be damage output and crowd control. Just enough int for 1 mana regen and a decent mana pool for full unload, just enough str to use bear gear and the rest into dex for killer dps.

This build can always tank if there is no one else, just need to keep buffs up and watch big pulls. But it really shines in long crawls. Best puller by far, can easily grab full groups without getting kills and accurate enough to solo pull bosses. Great dps and cun run right into the fray and start slashing without fear of agro.

Anyway long rant and I'm on an iPad so I'll cut it short. If you NEED to spam pots u aren't doin it right.

Demarrer
05-02-2010, 05:38 PM
I for one have two hybrid chars and Love that there will be no pots at all, I hope it stays that way.

These epic builds you are worried about are anything but epic. if they require you to spam pots to get anything done that is super lame anyway. If a normal build Mage uses mana shield and spams potions they can do the same amount damage.

The best hybrids can manage without pots. the only reason pots exist is to provide an option to speed up pve. They are not meant to be a crutch for 1 dimensional flashy chars.

A great example would be the popular bird tank.... Know that if u got this route u need to know you will never replace a bear. It's ok you can be insanely useful, just not in that way. U can secondary tank mobs in big pulls but your focus should be damage output and crowd control. Just enough int for 1 mana regen and a decent mana pool for full unload, just enough str to use bear gear and the rest into dex for killer dps.

This build can always tank if there is no one else, just need to keep buffs up and watch big pulls. But it really shines in long crawls. Best puller by far, can easily grab full groups without getting kills and accurate enough to solo pull bosses. Great dps and cun run right into the fray and start slashing without fear of agro.

Anyway long rant and I'm on an iPad so I'll cut it short. If you NEED to spam pots u aren't doin it right.

I agree, pots should not be in PvP at all in any game. People become to reliant on them.

Justg
05-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Read the forum rules here:http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?27-Message-Forum-Rules

And discuss things in a civil fashion.

PvP is going to evolve as we go. No pots is a good way to get started, but I could see tons of alternate rule sets evolving.

Vigilant
05-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Read the forum rules here:http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?27-Message-Forum-Rules

And discuss things in a civil fashion.

PvP is going to evolve as we go. No pots is a good way to get started, but I could see tons of alternate rule sets evolving.

We are discussing in a civil fashion, just had a intense spike there.

And yes this is a GREAT WAY to start PvP. Just down the road make it where you can have pots and set tons of game rules etc.

Demarrer
05-02-2010, 06:24 PM
We are discussing in a civil fashion, just had a intense spike there.

And yes this is a GREAT WAY to start PvP. Just down the road make it where you can have pots and set tons of game rules etc.

Yep like Vig said were cool, the intense spike somewhat helped the conversation. I don't think we really can give our opinions on pots yet because we haven't even seen it yet. The real question is, when can we see 1.2, or at least the "Rough list of new/fixed features?"

Vigilant
05-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Yea, I think the Swamps come out in like 3 days according to one post that said they come out next week and that was like on the 27th or something.

Btw, Demarrer you on PL? If so what's your name so I can add you.

Demarrer
05-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Yea, I think the Swamps come out in like 3 days according to one post that said they come out next week and that was like on the 27th or something.

Btw, Demarrer you on PL? If so what's your name so I can add you.

Names Demarrer in game.

Vigilant
05-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Names Demarrer in game.

Added, you on now?

Demarrer
05-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Added, you on now?

Doing class stuff, probably be on in an hour or two.

123seeyah
05-02-2010, 07:11 PM
hmmmmm a PvP arena where pots is not an option? well i guess there'll be no word as "ownage" here