PDA

View Full Version : Android Device: Archos A28 Internet Tablet

setec
11-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Android Device: Archos A28 Internet Tablet

I bought one of these for $99 at Sears yesterday. It is running Android 2.1-update1. They are supposed to be coming out with 2.2 for it soon. On their website they say these have 2.2 already though. I've emailed their support to find out when the 2.2 update is coming out.

Anyway, the screen is 320x240 pixels (QVGA), 2.8'' TFT LCD, 262,000 colors .

THERE ARE NO BUILT IN SPEAKERS on the A28 nor the A32, although the A32 does have bluetooth which could be used for sound as well. The A32 is $149.

So, I just plug some speakers into it or use the included headphones.

It does run Pocket Legends although everything is a bit tiny. :)

The device itself sucks for keyboard entry. I've been using the bottom of a pen to enter things on the keyboard. I know I have a package of 3 new Dell Axim Pocket PC stylus around in the house that I think will work well.

It does not come with the official Google Android Market. I can install the AppsLib if I want to install apps.

So, I had to install it via the latest .APK file that someone posted on here.

I would recommend turning "Tap to move" off with this device.

It does have a small screen but the game runs smoothly.

I can't get the music to work however but I don't listen to the music when playing anyway.

Sound works with external speakers or headphones.

The orientation for the device does not change once in the game. The game orientation does not change at all and I do not have lock orientation checked. The orientation is one way and one way only - landscape mode where your device buttons (home, search, etc) are on your right. Not really a big issue I guess.

You get what you pay for with a $99 device. Down the road I may get the Archos 43 if I can work some overtime or something. :)

I'll post screenshots later.

EDIT: After playing Pocket Legends for 10 minutes on this device I got a headache. Obviously the resolution is too small. I'm going to be taking this back and wait for the 43 to start shipping again.

I just wanted to post this in case anyone was thinking of getting this device.

Cheers.

duhchi
11-14-2010, 04:12 PM
lol sorry on the bad buy setec. I have been thinking about getting an android tablet for about two months and saw the archos for dirt cheap; but then I read the reviews :( I think it'd be a good idea to wait for next years tablets because nVidia is actually doing graphic cards for them and they'll be running gingerbread. Either way, it is kind of silly that the small samsung wifi only ones are like 600-700 bones.

Futumsh
11-14-2010, 04:17 PM
The music is a known issue - no android devices play the music currently. I'd expect we'll fix that in the next week. I'll add orientation support to the list - most devices don't support both landscape orientations so I actually forgot about it. Oops.