PDA

View Full Version : Intelligence Mage Slayer guide!

Stevenmc
12-08-2013, 02:21 PM
I have been doing a lot of farming at slayer, and I have found some tips and tricks to use as an int mage! Especially when you don't have an elixir! Please remember you are a support class before a damage class!

Survivability: Everyone knows a mage without a mana shield is a mage no more, and during slayer you can't use it! So, some tips to surviving, and keeping that good KDR!
1) When a new wave of enemies is incoming, take a step back, and do not attack. Let somebody of Str take the agro, either by having them attack first, or by having them be closer to the enemies. You can heal during this still. After a good 3-5 seconds run all the way in and ice, light, and fire.
2) Only attack the dragon itself, all other attacks directed towards the mobs will draw their attention to you. By attacking only the dragon this is avoidable.

Another thing I see mages do is spam heal, this to me is a waste. Only heal during the big waves of mobs when you actually see someone's health go down, otherwise you could be healing when they have full health. And then when they do get hurt you have to wait for heals. *This is for a team without elixirs, when you have a team on E, spamming will be sufficient rather than strategically healing.*

Another point to talk about is reviving. Of the many games I've played in the ones that usually fail are when the mages mess up reviving. Usually when I run its with 2 mages, 2 birds, and one bear. Well when say your tank goes down, both mages will hit revive, and that to me is the cause of most failures. Because most people have rev at one, when both mages revive this tank at once, they both don't have rev again for a bit. This is a problem because after the tank goes down, all the agro will hit everyone else, and most likely a mage will go down. When this mage goes down, since you both revived at once, you still don't have your revive. Then you die and there are no heals, and the team falls apart. So in my advice have one mage know they are designated to revive when a non mage goes down, and one to be designated to revive the other mages. This will avoid a situation where there are no heals on the team.

Also, make sure your mages know what is going on. Many times you will have a new mage that just hit 76, and they will mana shield ect. By having everyone on the same page knowing their jobs, the outcome is faster more efficient farming.

*These are some tips for an Int mage on Elixir (2X or Higher)*

USE STAFF! I know many people don't, but on elixir you have enough armor to use the staff, and let me tell you, it will go so much faster

Don't worry as much about death as you normally would, 3X armor gives you more armor than the average tank, so don't be scared!

All in all, by farming for hours upon hours, these are the things I noticed that a mage should know. With a full team on thrasher, all of this isn't needed, just go destroy. When farming be persistent, as I have seen pinks not drop for 12 runs, then the next run 2 people will get them. If you have trouble staying in games to farm because you aren't getting anything, do the pink +5 rule. Where if you see a pink drop stay for five more runs, this is what I do and I have made a good amount of money from this.

Good luck, and have fun!! I hope all the int mages who don't have elixirs will benefit from this! If you ever need a mage add me, I am always happy to help, especially with the 76 times quest!

-Stevenmc

** I got asked what build I was using, I am now using the one I was given in my previous post about the best build.

Somemager
12-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Great guide i've stuck to most of these tips and yes the "Spam Heal" is so true since thats how most slayer games end up failing.

Skillless
12-10-2013, 04:20 AM
Nice guide, thank you for posting!

I'd like to add a few things I find helpful:
- Work out a good timing to cast heal and drain so you don't waste your spells
- Don't forget to keep your BoV up
- Watch the other mages to see their spell rotation and the amount of heal they cast so you can time your spells
- Only use magic shield when you see all other mages/rhinos down to prevent a group wipe
- Tell mages who use shield why not to. If they rank "I don't want deaths" higher than "I want to help the group", boot them
- If mages and birds keep dying while there is a bear check if the tank is using taunt. Found lots of bears not taunting at all
- Don't rev people who ran onto the platform. It's easier and faster if they just walk back

Suentous PO
12-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Another thing I think of there is that when you have two mage both shouldn't do party buffs right away. Stagger them so that they don't both end at the same time.

Stevenmc
12-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Nice guide, thank you for posting!

I'd like to add a few things I find helpful:
- Work out a good timing to cast heal and drain so you don't waste your spells
- Don't forget to keep your BoV up
- Watch the other mages to see their spell rotation and the amount of heal they cast so you can time your spells
- Only use magic shield when you see all other mages/rhinos down to prevent a group wipe
- Tell mages who use shield why not to. If they rank "I don't want deaths" higher than "I want to help the group", boot them
- If mages and birds keep dying while there is a bear check if the tank is using taunt. Found lots of bears not taunting at all
- Don't rev people who ran onto the platform. It's easier and faster if they just walk back

Another thing I think of there is that when you have two mage both shouldn't do party buffs right away. Stagger them so that they don't both end at the same time.

Thanks guys, I will add these in as soon as I get to a computer, I am on my phone!

Amilae
12-11-2013, 03:54 AM
Great post!
While it's certainly possible to farm slayer without elixir or combo, it's better to have either or both. Many teams will boot you if you don't have something... and it's frowned upon to play without a boost. You are weakening the team and leaning on the plat use of others. Play with combo or buy elixir. Go farm steel if you are plat poor and don't have combo on a capped toon.

angeldawn
12-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Good job Steven!

I would add

~ Hit heal immediately after someone revives to fill their their health.

~ If you die immediately hit drain after reviving to refill your health. Saving drain for the team.

I also agree with previous poster about taunt. If I start taken on damage I remind the bear to taunt more. This is also a joke with some of my friends I blame the bears for not taunting regardless of how or where I take on damage or die ;p

I also like to use 71 Elite Twister. Even though the damage is lower than 76 staff, I think the health proc is much more beneficial.

Chopper
12-11-2013, 11:02 AM
One tip from me:

Right before the last (killer) wave hits (Red Dragon at 50%) health, if my mana is low, i stop spamming spells. At this time, the party is usually in good shape and is just doing damage to the Dragon, with the previous wave of mobs killed off. Those 3-4 seconds where you stop using attacking spells can regenerate enough extra mana to help withstand the wave of evil mages that pop up for the third wave. A few extra damage points to the Dragon before he jumps off for the last time is not going to do anything, but an extra reserve of mana for when the party really needs it a few seconds later is invaluable.