PDA

View Full Version : Best defensive pet for a mage? non-mythic

otb
12-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Im wondering whats the best defensive pet for a mage? Im so squishy, that i occasionally die even in low level elite dungeons. Even in Kraken Mines 3, Harley can 1 hit K.O. me. I want to avoid this as much as possible.

I have Malison and Prance. Are there any other better defensive pets than them? Their arcane abilities are defensive in nature too (dodge and miss)

I've always wanted to get Valkin for a long while now, but I never had the capable party to beat elite Inanhesh, so that would have to wait I guess.

I was thinking of getting Orion, but my friend told me that Malison is still better than Orion as a defensive pet because Malison gives more life.

Again, whats the best defensive pet for minimizing my deaths in PvE?

ps: If anyone (capable ofc) would want to help me getting Valkin, just message me in game. My IGN is otb. It would be a great Christmas gift :D

Frekken
12-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Since you already try Orion and Mali. Try ethyl and run away or haze and speed buff? If you're asking for defensive build means you have shield? Or you're running with heal skill?
Feedback me

otb
12-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Since you already try Orion and Mali. Try ethyl and run away or haze and speed buff? If you're asking for defensive build means you have shield? Or you're running with heal skill?
Feedback me

I have shield only. I have tried Mali and Prance, not Orion. I also have Ethyl, but it doesn't give me that much life and/or armor compared to Mali and Prance, so I really don't consider it as a defensive pet.

Frekken
12-29-2013, 01:07 AM
Of course t isn't I was talking about the arcanes lower speed on enemy. Pots are ally too

Nesox
12-29-2013, 01:48 AM
As with most things to do with a mage, the best defence is a good offence. One of my favorite pets vs bosses is Kelvin. Not much for stats but his stun I have found to be the most reliable for blocking attack windups. The best bet against any boss that can one hit you through a shield is to either a.) not be in the red zone or b.) cancel the windup. Both require timing to be effective.

Orion and Clyde both give decent health bonuses and stun chances. Orions 10% damage for party also helps to reduce incoming damage by just killing bosses faster. Mali gives a few more hp but the dodge chance really doesn't help much. I usually use him for grinding only and switch out at the bosses.

branniac7
12-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Malison gives just 40 more hp than orion. Personally, i dont like malison. Arcane sucks a looooot. I rely on orion whenever i feel squishy or for boss fights that can 1 hit. Prance and kokos added armor arent that helpful too based on experience.

I like ethyl a lot. True, the hp arent that big but the arcane ability helps a lot. For me, ethyl is the best non-myth, non-arc, non-plat user a mage can have as a pet for pve. Ethyl is the reason why i have low deaths on pve.

Like what nesox said, stay away from the bosses' range and ull be good. Like the knight and an enraged tarlok.

Im also wondering how much hp u have. Its very rare that i get 1 hitted.

@frekken - lol. Ur funny dude. I nearly got choked coz of what u said.

branniac7
12-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Mali only gives 40 more hp than orion. I just checked. Personally, i dont like malison. Useless arcane and passive. I personally use orion for bosses snd ethyl for non boss. My favorite is ethyl hands down for pve. I also use him to solo elites.

Im wondering how much hp u hav coz its very rare that i get 1 hitted...???

falmear
12-31-2013, 04:03 AM
Most likely you need to reconsider your gear choices. Take a look at the Tarlok versatility gear. I think at level 35 or 36 its relatively cheap. Also look at Tarlok heart of brutality. What weapon are you using? Consider picking up Darkened Rifle of Brutality or Architect Pylon of Brutality. Lastly for your ring, go for Ruby Band of Brutality. Orion is a better defensive pet because it also gives you 2% damage reduction and his arcane will stun. Also use the skills fire,ice,time,shield. To avoid dieing you need to effectively use your skills to stun,freeze and root mobs. With this gear it should give you a strong enough shield that timed right should help reduce your chances of dieing.

bhutkeyur
12-31-2013, 06:12 AM
Few tips after you upgrade gear:

Stay at max range of mobs/boss - so its easy to avoid red zone (golden rule)
Use line of sight to avoid attacks - hide behind something while charging fireball
When you learn how to time your skills feel free to run into mobs and practice to use fire, ice and time effectively
Use gun instead of staff for good range
Let tank lure enemy and then start knocking down enemy
Never use heal in elite unless u wanna gangbang by mobs or want to annoy tank
Start to soloing elite and normal bosses as mage - you will learn a lot
Use pet arcane ability when required
If you just spam pots and dont attack - you will probably die, keep root, freeze and stun enemies
If you dont have good ping - you will die a lot and there is nothing you can do abt.

Hope this might helps in gameplay

Desperoto
12-31-2013, 10:33 AM
Orion is the best, gives good hp and his AA stuns/terrifies

Xstealthxx
12-31-2013, 06:00 PM
Orion, next clyde

Morholt
01-04-2014, 12:59 AM
Orion is way better than Malison. Nearly the same hp gain & has damage reduction. Next, his arcane ability is insane: weakens enemies, increases party damage, and has a good stun chance with a large radius.

Also, I personally hate pets that fly/stay behind you.

With the current event, LOTS of crates are being opened, and thus many Orion eggs are available for trade--his price is less than half what it was before.
Same with Ethyl, who is a solid mage pet--think I've seen for as little as 7k recently. Ethyl isn't the best pet, but is a very good one and should be in your line up--especially when he can be purchased with about what you can sell a blood gem for.

Note: Orion's chance to stun high lvl mobs increases when he is a higher lvl. Level him up before running elites.

Striderevil
01-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Try Koko, its been there for a while, gives good Intel and has 80 armor which is helpful. If you are lvl 36 and have less than 2700 hp and less than 850 armor it would be time to redo your stats and get some good armor. If your low on creds try devourer armor as it will boost your armor to 900+ and with tarlok armor out is relatively cheap.

branniac7
01-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Try Koko, its been there for a while, gives good Intel and has 80 armor which is helpful. If you are lvl 36 and have less than 2700 hp and less than 850 armor it would be time to redo your stats and get some good armor. If your low on creds try devourer armor as it will boost your armor to 900+ and with tarlok armor out is relatively cheap.

koko's 80 armor is useless so as dex for a mage. A mage's equips should be high int low str. Str is needed for heal and shield. The more str, the better the reduction and higher the heal. Koko and prance are for twinks. Their added armor are unreliable and more on the useless side. If u keep getting one-hitted by bosses, then u should maybe switch out your armor to the will type. A good and cheap example is the noble effigy and bloodhammers-security fornormal mobs and will for bosses. The will type however, will sacrifice a lot on damage but at least u do not get 1 hitted.