View Full Version : The Locked Crate Experiment

Mavs
01-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Hi all,

After reading numerous threads about disappointed crate openings I decided to take the plunge and perform an experiment of sorts to find out how lucky or unlucky I am.

To set the scene, I am a fairly new player to Al and indeed STS games in general, my character is a level 18 warrior and I bought the first time buyers platinum package which gave me additional plats to the sum of 2550. Being a new player my gold supply was extremely low, therefore I exchanged 1,500 platinum for 1.5m gold - this was the base for me to buy the crates from CS - in addition to this I purchased extra inventory slots totalling 100 so I wouldn't need to waste time on selling crap.

I decided that I would open and buy as many crates as possible (even with the gold from the crates).

As of now my remaining balance is 10 platinum and 55k gold from 0 gold and 2550 platinum

I got lots of trash, but notable mentions were;

Slag egg
Warrior mythic armor
Mccraw egg
Devourer bow of potency
Devourer maul of potency x 2

Rest of it was dimensional stuff.

So all in all I think I have gotten the good end of the stick so to speak but wouldn't say I was super lucky in any shape or form.

Jimtoad
01-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Hi all,

After reading numerous threads about disappointed crate openings I decided to take the plunge and perform an experiment of sorts to find out how lucky or unlucky I am.

To set the scene, I am a fairly new player to Al and indeed STS games in general, my character is a level 18 warrior and I bought the first time buyers platinum package which gave me additional plats to the sum of 2550. Being a new player my gold supply was extremely low, therefore I exchanged 1,500 platinum for 1.5m gold - this was the base for me to buy the crates from CS - in addition to this I purchased extra inventory slots totalling 100 so I wouldn't need to waste time on selling crap.

I decided that I would open and buy as many crates as possible (even with the gold from the crates).

As of now my remaining balance is 10 platinum and 55k gold from 0 gold and 2550 platinum

I got lots of trash, but notable mentions were;

Slag egg
Warrior mythic armor
Mccraw egg
Devourer bow of potency
Devourer maul of potency x 2

Rest of it was dimensional stuff.

So all in all I think I have gotten the good end of the stick so to speak but wouldn't say I was super lucky in any shape or form.

i think ur lucky enough sir, some are worst than u..... got nothing...

Mavs
01-04-2014, 09:49 AM
I can agree to a certain extent but do people normally spend over 2.5k platinum on crates?

Jimtoad
01-04-2014, 09:55 AM
even much than what sir did, some open even 1000 locked :tongue: and just get 2 samael :smile:

Hoardseeker
01-04-2014, 10:44 AM
I can agree to a certain extent but do people normally spend over 2.5k platinum on crates?
Yeah 2500plats 0.0 I would brought much items for profit :D

keikali
01-04-2014, 12:18 PM
True did a really good write up and tutorial on locked crates a while back: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?118677-TrueOrigins-Crate-that-Midas-Touch-%28-video-tut%29

Hercules
01-04-2014, 12:37 PM
that's normal, I think you were very lucky I just opened and received heavenly Change 3 lockeds common 2k 6 times haha, I think that the more I open lockeds is more chance to get something better

Bless
01-04-2014, 01:19 PM
My opened about 100 (1500 plat) and got ripmaw, hammerjaw and vilis garb.

Anarchist
01-04-2014, 01:20 PM
This why i will spend all my money on my twink henceforth and have fun instead of farming like a dog all day.

What am i farming for?

I mean a random player can start yesterday see the double event, buy plats, buy money with the plats ,buy crates with the money, open them, gets lucky and he is already all myths and richer than me.

Desperoto
01-04-2014, 02:00 PM
It was very dumb to transfer plat into gold, very dumb.
Edit: If you want to transfer gold, then do it by buying vanities or lep. As example the night assasin suit, a set sells for 100-120k and is only 50 plat.

Energizeric
01-04-2014, 04:16 PM
I've opened 233 crates since they were released last year, and never got any mythic or arcane items. 233 x 15 plat each = 3495 plat, and that does NOT include the crates themselves which would be worth another 3-4m in gold if I had sold them. I think the total plat spent was around 3200 and the other 300 plat came from the crates themselves. I did loot a few legendary eggs (McCraw and Ethyl), some bows and other items that I was able to sell, but overall a complete failure for me, so I don't open locked crates anymore. Others get lucky and loot an arcane item in 30 crates, so it's like playing the lottery.

Goodfella
01-04-2014, 05:05 PM
ive never looted any arcane or mythic and ive opened about 600 crates that are 9000plats

Kakashis
01-04-2014, 05:47 PM
It's all about luck, just open to what you know is within your spending limit! I highly recommend people open the elite golden chests because they don't come with any financial burden. If you can afford to pop crates here and there using real money go for it!

phillyr
01-04-2014, 08:21 PM
It's not about going broke for most of us, most who buy plat can definitely afford it...it's the constant let down after opening...and opening....and opening. Hoping that maybe opening 400+ locked will get at least a couple mythic, or an arcane pet.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk