PDA

View Full Version : Eventually get rid of world map; boots and exploration

Arterra
11-23-2010, 09:31 PM
as time goes on, we will get more towns, more areas, more stuff.

But when the time comes, we should consider letting go of the instant creation of maps, and movement thru half a world, and let it become more like an open world game. in each town there can be a town teleporter of course, and to enter/make a instance you exit off the edge of towne. But there should be like 2-3 maps between towns, so as to a) stop low level leeching (if they cant pass the couple of maps to the next town, they cant make the maps corresponding to that towne) and b) add a real sense of size and purpose to each new area.

The new goblin and rock instances have the right idea: travel thru a preliminary forest to get there, i have to say adds some size.

cons: walking everywhere takes time. the day you come out with winged boots (PL version of mounts) the better lol. in fact, the whole shoe system could go with a stamina system: higher quality boots use less stamina per second (st/s) and so a new battle tactic is introduced too, hit and run. (while we have yellow orbs to do that, being able to sprint in and out would be much better)

/stream of thought

Lesrider
11-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Yeah, this is a portable game, after all. You want to get where you're going before you have to log off again!

Arterra
11-23-2010, 10:07 PM
i seriously think the number of hardcore gamers with more than enough time for real mmo experience is growing.

I dont bother logging on if i have less than an hour (except for checking CS), just wont be done otherwise. we alre already getting to that stage! besides, its just a short teleport away to town visited before to play in a different area.

also, this would greatly improve on the fact that there doesnt seem to be any fanfare when you reach a new town... you just go right into the join game and straight into instance really. having the experience of walking into town is necessary.

the short time i played WoW i saw one thing; i was a orc, and somehow got into wandering aimlessly, luckily hitting some town with a zeppelin. I found myself flying towards a city near the capital (i think it was)... walking towards that city with huge walls was so much more rewarding than just teleporting there would have been. It gave me more incentive to explore the insides, while appearing from the inside would make me explore outwards.

juhnken773
11-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Sounds like the future. Not the near future at that.;

Lesrider
11-24-2010, 12:24 AM
I don't think they can do this without ostracizing less able phones. Didn't they say they went the game to be all-inclusive? So I doubt the graphics, etc will ever get much more advanced.

MoarPewPew
11-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Lol sounds like you want all open world and if we
Do teleport it cost gold.

superglut2
11-25-2010, 04:31 AM
yes mounts please, or boots of speed. with maybe a cooldown. and BIGGER worlds. I LOVE the new maps!

smoae
11-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Nah no boots however I like the idea. Once you unlocked that town, Would you then be able to transport between them without playing the levels in-between?

Veltis
11-25-2010, 12:37 PM
i seriously think the number of hardcore gamers with more than enough time for real mmo experience is growing.

I dont bother logging on if i have less than an hour (except for checking CS), just wont be done otherwise. we alre already getting to that stage! besides, its just a short teleport away to town visited before to play in a different area.

also, this would greatly improve on the fact that there doesnt seem to be any fanfare when you reach a new town... you just go right into the join game and straight into instance really. having the experience of walking into town is necessary.

the short time i played WoW i saw one thing; i was a orc, and somehow got into wandering aimlessly, luckily hitting some town with a zeppelin. I found myself flying towards a city near the capital (i think it was)... walking towards that city with huge walls was so much more rewarding than just teleporting there would have been. It gave me more incentive to explore the insides, while appearing from the inside would make me explore outwards.

I can tell you that I played WOW for 3yrs and to travel through the world at first was cool. But then I got sick of it even with the fastest mounts I could never get to where I was going fast enough. When going back and fourth to sell my junk and turning in quests and picking up new ones. That would eat up over half of my game playing time. I rather be farming of questing with my time then endless travelling.

TwinkTastical
11-25-2010, 02:31 PM
there servers prob cant handle it.. nor can our devices

Arterra
11-25-2010, 03:32 PM
I can tell you that I played WOW for 3yrs and to travel through the world at first was cool. But then I got sick of it even with the fastest mounts I could never get to where I was going fast enough. When going back and fourth to sell my junk and turning in quests and picking up new ones. That would eat up over half of my game playing time. I rather be farming of questing with my time then endless travelling.

Buy something called a keystone then. Using it will take you back to your chosen town. Easy enough.

As for your reason tastic, it's just lots of big maps tied together. Reach the edge, loading screen comes up and you are in new area. Sounds easy enough.