PDA

View Full Version : The elephant in the room - Those mythic armor AP points

Jexetta
01-14-2014, 01:42 PM
STG and our lil' gamer community,

So some friends and I were discussing the ramifications of a new expansion, batting around the likelihood of mythic armor being up-gradable (again), and I thought that it was more than likely that the old 36 armor would not be upgrade-able come the next expansion. The people who struggled to get mythic gear this expansion right up till now of course want it to be continually to be up-gradable and others don't wish this at all, I'm neutral on the issue and see both sides of the argument.

The main point of this thread is not whether old gear will be up-gradable, though it may tie into it depending on the solution, it's what are people going to do at 41 when they had forgone buying mythic armor that was 'tops' at 36 but now at 41 is 'average' / comparable to 41 legendary items and lags behind (possible) new mythic armor? Should people simply buy old an 26 mythic helm & 31 armor, upgrade them to 36, and stash them indefinitely just for the AP points since they are non-tradeable? Will the old mythic gear be suddenly trad-able resulting in being able to buy the mythic armor quest AP? It's a bit of a conundrum how it should be addressed.

This is an open discussion - I may have missed a mention of this issue in the forums somewhere (forgive me if I have), but it's bound to come up and wanted to start a dialogue on this. I have ideas / solutions on this, but lets see where the discussion takes us foremost.

Cheers!
-Jexy

Pandamoni
01-14-2014, 01:44 PM
I was talking about this with a guildie this morning. We were wondering how this will be addressed. Thank you for bringing this up.

Energizeric
01-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Once the old mythic items are no longer the best end game gear, the prices of them should drop dramatically. Just look at how low the mythic amulets have gone already, and those are still very competitive with the best items. I would guess the level 26 mythic helms and level 31 mythic armors will drop below 500k each once they are no longer the best end game gear, and possibly even much lower. Remember that unlike many older elite twink items, these have NOT been discontinued.

At that point, yes players will still need to craft them into the non-tradable level 36 set if they want the achievement points. But that is far from the only achievement points that are expensive to get. How about beastmaster? All of those pets can cost quite a bit to buy, including some that are plat exclusive. I easily spent a few million back in season 2 to get the beastmaster achievement, and even now it probably cost at least 1m to get unless you farm for each pet. But you could just as easily farm for elite golden pirate chests and hope to loot a mythic helm. In fact, once we are at level 41, the level 30 elite kraken dungeons should be very possible to solo without a party. So that is just one more reason why mythic helms will drop in value. The same thing happened with malison eggs over the past few months as level 36 end game players can now solo level 25 elite bael.

So overall I do not see any issue here. Also, the reality of the situation is that only 75 players out of many thousands will make the "Top Players" leaderboards. For those who do not, how many achievement points they have is irrelevant -- it does not even show on your stat screen. So unless you care about competing for that one single leaderboard, this is a non-issue and one that most players won't care about.

Kuragasi
01-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Both Jex and Energy make great points.

But let's look at history, since the first mythics introduced in Kraken the have been an integral part of the game and story. Only to be fortified by each expansion, and then fully realized in Shuyal. However after upgraded it is said that they are at their full power or complete form. This could easily be circumvented allowing them to be further explored and upgraded in the coming expansion.

IMO it almost seems natural that this may be the course of action they take, STS is usually very predictable in most things they do but you never know.

Instanthumor
01-14-2014, 02:25 PM
Both Jex and Energy make great points.

But let's look at history, since the first mythics introduced in Kraken the have been an integral part of the game and story. Only to be fortified by each expansion, and then fully realized in Shuyal. However after upgraded it is said that they are at their full power or complete form. This could easily be circumvented allowing them to be further explored and upgraded in the coming expansion.

IMO it almost seems natural that this may be the course of action they take, STS is usually very predictable in most things they do but you never know.

IMO, these mythics (including the Lv. 31 mythic weapons) should be able to be upgraded to Lv. 41. Getting my current mythics were hard enough, think about having to obtain new ones... And with the new 'itemization system' coming, there will be more gear released which will make it harder for us middle class people to keep updating our gear every so often. First world problems.

GoodSyntax
01-14-2014, 02:28 PM
Based on the announcement thread, I suspect that the current Mythic armors will not be upgradeable initially. Then, to progress the storyline further, a second wave of enhancements could lead to additional Mythic upgrades.

It seems that STS wants a continuous surge of introductions into the game, so this approach would make the most sense. As you level and attain the best end-game gear, another update would come in, which would introduce additional items and an new upgrade quest for current Mythics.

I believe that this is intentional, so as to avoid the surge and lull of gaming activity and market valuations of end game gear. It is easier to control gaming activity via new introductions than it is to develop special events with short shelf-lives like the Halloween and Winter events. Plus, at the pace of development, I suspect that a bunch of coders somewhere in Texas could use a breather after the intensity of the past few months. I can only imagine how demanding the development schedule has been for them.

Energizeric
01-14-2014, 04:50 PM
IMO, these mythics (including the Lv. 31 mythic weapons) should be able to be upgraded to Lv. 41. Getting my current mythics were hard enough, think about having to obtain new ones... And with the new 'itemization system' coming, there will be more gear released which will make it harder for us middle class people to keep updating our gear every so often. First world problems.

What you fail to realize is that if mythic gear was always upgradable, the prices would be much higher. Prices have dropped over the past few months because people know the gear is NOT upgradable. If the gear was upgradable, those "middle class" folks would never be able to afford it. They only can afford it now because prices dropped on gear that everyone knows will soon be outdated.

Mythic items that people know will still be good for another season go for 8m+

Your solution would just mean that those middle class folks would never get mythics.

The people complaining that they want this gear to be upgradable are the folks who bought the gear at prices at non-upgradable prices and of course now they want them to become upgradable. Yes, I hope the items I own go up in price too. But that is not what is the best for the long term health of the game.

Instanthumor
01-14-2014, 05:14 PM
But, just because we can upgrade it one more time, doesn't mean that it will always be upgradable.

Oedid
01-14-2014, 06:14 PM
I think it would be great if we allow current mythics to be upgraded again AND simply introduce new gear as well with comparable stats (minor tweaks to perhaps foster different builds). Therefore the price can remain approx the same with a new option and variety available to us all! This can eliminate old gear from just becoming obsolete. Furthermore, by following this forumla you can continue upgrading the older gear and even introduce upgrading to the new mythics in any future expansions. Frankly, I wouldnt mind a bit of spice in terms of how end-game gear looks.

Just trying to be fair to everyone.

Energizeric
01-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Is that being fair to the person who looted a mythic helm last week and sold it for a cheap price assuming that it would NOT be upgradable? How is that person going to feel when it then goes up in price to 4m because it can now be upgradable?

For every person who bought the helm recently and is hoping to upgrade it to level 41, there is another person who sold the helm much cheaper than they would have if they had known it would be upgradable. Sounds like you only have compassion for the first group and not the second.

Oedid
01-14-2014, 06:38 PM
Thats the price you pay for assuming before any final announcement is made. I'm sorry you made a projection about somethin, without a guarantee. It's a gamble you opted to make.

We all know STS has made last minute decisions in the past. Why should this be any different.

-Just saying

Morholt
01-14-2014, 07:05 PM
IMO, these mythics (including the Lv. 31 mythic weapons) should be able to be upgraded to Lv. 41. Getting my current mythics were hard enough, think about having to obtain new ones... This is one of the worst things I have ever read on this forum...

Turn lvl 31 mythic weapons into 41? What happens to the lvl 36 glaive, staff, and daggers?! You want to make older items better than the current best?

If you think getting expiring mythics is hard, why do you think the game will be flooded with people having the new lvl 41 mythic gear. The new stuff will likely cost around 7-10 times as much. Virtually nobody will be able to afford a set of mythics (or does everyone get the Midas Touch AP without help?).

It's official. This forum has gone mad.

dantus
01-14-2014, 07:44 PM
Based on the announcement thread, I suspect that the current Mythic armors will not be upgradeable initially. Then, to progress the storyline further, a second wave of enhancements could lead to additional Mythic upgrades.

It seems that STS wants a continuous surge of introductions into the game, so this approach would make the most sense. As you level and attain the best end-game gear, another update would come in, which would introduce additional items and an new upgrade quest for current Mythics.

I believe that this is intentional, so as to avoid the surge and lull of gaming activity and market valuations of end game gear. It is easier to control gaming activity via new introductions than it is to develop special events with short shelf-lives like the Halloween and Winter events. Plus, at the pace of development, I suspect that a bunch of coders somewhere in Texas could use a breather after the intensity of the past few months. I can only imagine how demanding the development schedule has been for them.
Wow I like this idea...at release lv. 41 elite legendary set being more powerful than the 36 mythic set...then later in the expansion there is a mythic upgrade quest.

Instanthumor
01-14-2014, 08:19 PM
Is that being fair to the person who looted a mythic helm last week and sold it for a cheap price assuming that it would NOT be upgradable? How is that person going to feel when it then goes up in price to 4m because it can now be upgradable?

For every person who bought the helm recently and is hoping to upgrade it to level 41, there is another person who sold the helm much cheaper than they would have if they had known it would be upgradable. Sounds like you only have compassion for the first group and not the second.

Since when does being fair have anything to do with AL?

This is one of the worst things I have ever read on this forum...

Turn lvl 31 mythic weapons into 41? What happens to the lvl 36 glaive, staff, and daggers?! You want to make older items better than the current best?

If you think getting expiring mythics is hard, why do you think the game will be flooded with people having the new lvl 41 mythic gear. The new stuff will likely cost around 7-10 times as much. Virtually nobody will be able to afford a set of mythics (or does everyone get the Midas Touch AP without help?).

It's official. This forum has gone mad.

It's a mere suggestion. I believe you have gone mad from other people's suggestions. Congratulations.

Morholt
01-14-2014, 09:08 PM
As for the Hero of Legends AP:
Energizeric already pointed out how people have spent a fair amount of gold for other APs before, plus the price of the old mythic gear will be even lower as time goes on.

A solution, though, could be re-writing the Hero of Legends quest. When Shuyal came out, they re-wrote the Glephnir quest to make it easier for people to access Shuyal. Then they made it a completely un-needed quest and allowed you to enter by simply being lvl 26. So, tweaking some quest isn't some crazy/new here.
There should be two ways to complete the quest: the first way is the same way as it is now--upgrading the lvl 26 helm & 31 armor. The second way would be speak to the hermit while wearing a lvl 41 mythic armor and helm and he will say, "*gasp* with such fine armor...could you be the fabled Hero of Legend?! If you truly are, I need your help. Please, find me..." And then you go about your hours of breaking barrels to find him his things. Bring them back to him and you get the achievement.

It's that simple. By keeping it so the original way is still available, those who can't afford a set of the newest mythic armors (aka just about everyone) can get the achievement.

Morholt
01-14-2014, 09:14 PM
It's a mere suggestion. I believe you have gone mad from other people's suggestions. Congratulations.Sanity has been long lost before this, friend. ;)

Instanthumor
01-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Sanity has been long lost before this, friend. ;)

Ok. So there is nothing wrong with the insanity in the suggestion.. If that's what you're saying.

Sexun Buzz
01-16-2014, 11:31 AM
sharing my thoughts..

i think there will be NO new mythic helm and armor.. why? because every helm and armor has names.. hemingleva,uller,vili.. and thier tombs scattered in maps...

the point is..

mythic helm and armor must be re-upgrade to lv41(feels sad to those spend lots of plat for grand gem) or no upgrade needed..BUT.. best gear even compare to legendary lv41...

Energizeric
01-17-2014, 03:55 AM
BTW, did anyone who has mythic or arcane achievements look at the name of your banner? Don't you think it's quite obvious that there is going to be a second wave of mythic and arcane items coming at some point?

nelson131
01-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Oh.....season one of mythic banner.......... Thx, energize