View Full Version : The problem with hammers

Doomreaper
01-14-2014, 11:51 PM
I recently capped, and got myself a nice dev maul for pve. For the elites I had already run, i had been using my targe (for the great armor bonus). Now that I am sometimes running with another tank, I seem to feel that they don't understand elites at all. a tank is not supposed to be going for the most dmg, its most armor and hp. Unless you have an maul, you should not be bothering with dev mauls. The tank is supposed to take aggro and defend the other players on his team. If he doesn't want to do that then he shouldn't have chosen war.

Just my personal opinion, if you don't agree please tell me and why.

-Doom

p.s. I'm sick of being called a targe-using noob -_-

p.p.s. this is not about easy maps where a tank isn't really needed

otb
01-15-2014, 03:12 AM
I recently capped, and got myself a nice dev maul for pve. For the elites I had already run, i had been using my targe (for the great armor bonus). Now that I am sometimes running with another tank, I seem to feel that they don't understand elites at all. a tank is not supposed to be going for the most dmg, its most armor and hp. Unless you have an maul, you should not be bothering with dev mauls. The tank is supposed to take aggro and defend the other players on his team. If he doesn't want to do that then he shouldn't have chosen war.

Just my personal opinion, if you don't agree please tell me and why.

-Doom

p.s. I'm sick of being called a targe-using noob -_-

p.p.s. this is not about easy maps where a tank isn't really needed

I myself, a L36 mage, gets bashed every now and then for not having life giver in my skills. Especially those rogues who always need mana, they call me a noob mage when they learn that i dont have life giver LOL. My skills are fireball, ice, time shift, shield. Like you, I'm just doing what my class' job is, and that's crowd control.

So many players don't know how to properly play a team game. Just ignore them, or if you have the time, educate them on how to properly play cap/elite PvE

Just continue what you are doing. Leave the damage to the rogues and mages. The pros would like it more when you could hold the aggro as long as possible, rather than you dealing massive damage.

bhutkeyur
01-15-2014, 05:05 AM
Doom you are absolutely right.
OTB - I agree with u. Never use lifegiver in elite unless u wanna do suicide or annoy ur tank.

Sceazikua
01-15-2014, 07:35 AM
I myself, a L36 mage, gets bashed every now and then for not having life giver in my skills. Especially those rogues who always need mana, they call me a noob mage when they learn that i dont have life giver LOL. My skills are fireball, ice, time shift, shield. Like you, I'm just doing what my class' job is, and that's crowd control.

So many players don't know how to properly play a team game. Just ignore them, or if you have the time, educate them on how to properly play cap/elite PvE

Just continue what you are doing. Leave the damage to the rogues and mages. The pros would like it more when you could hold the aggro as long as possible, rather than you dealing massive damage.

What I learnt for a PvE mage (not PvP) from my guild is "using pots is easy". Really! Whenever a rogue or warrior yells at me "mana" I just smiled and put my usual messege: "sometimes people dont have 900 gold for pots :)". Why would people want to be given mana? Is that 900/100 gold (most expensive pack, it can be cheaper with guild and tavern) for a pot that gives 30% mana so unaffordable? Why would someone ever wait for 30 seconds for a single heal while they can heal themselves in 3 seconds? :p

Zuzeq
01-15-2014, 11:10 AM
I have an alt Tank that I use in elites just to take a break from the other two classes. I quickly realized that even though a sword and board makes things go slightly more smooth it's far from a "requirement" to properly play your roll in a elite party. If you have a proper build, good skills and half way decent gear you can agro grab and protect just as easy w/ any weapon. I personally dig the Arc Blade to give me that extra taught.

inkredible
01-17-2014, 12:10 AM
+1 i care more about others than i care for my toon.. pve or pvp
as for many people i know theyve noticed how selfish warriors have become this season.. as for the pvp aspect
which i understand theyre goin for more damage and kills.. but what they also need to understand

- your team surviving = your own survival = more possible kills
- rather than - surviving on ur own ( no team work) = more deaths = possibly less kills..

it pisses me off so much (pvp) bec most warrior now days - only heals when they need it for themselves without watchin their team
and then even EXPECT a mage or another warrior to heal them WHEN they need health..

some warriors are just die hard wanna be rogues

utpal
01-18-2014, 11:40 AM
yah. elites r different ball game compared to normal. war should have high HP nd armour.
in pugs I m noob coz I have pathetic dmg (203) lol. bt they dnt! see my HP(5.6k) nd armour(1856) lol

to be frank, I hate mages that use lifegiver coz they got aggro nd dies. so I request them to switch out. so that I get less pressure. vengeful blood skill does a great mana return in elites

Zorin
01-19-2014, 06:55 PM
Warriors are first in, last out.

Navy Seals of Arlor!

I too, care about my team more than my own toon sometimes but I have to remind myself that I'm the key to success.

I have dedicated everything to staying alive; I stay alive, my team stays alive, we finish a map. Simple as that.

Warriors doing damage? You can try but you will never out damage a rogue/mage.

Xpell
01-20-2014, 02:56 AM
The warrior class is the hardest class for me to play out of all three, but is an essential part in elites and pvp. The hard thing about playing a tank is that you have to look at evrything. With a rogue and a mage its much easier. All you really have to do is spam your skills (while watching your health from time to time) and you could get the job done. With a warrior, you have the responsibility of keeping your team alive which means holding aggro, spamming pots and using heal when your teammates need it.

I get really mad when someone in an elite Pug asks you for mana while they have the money and pots to spend while wanting to save a few hundred gold.

I haven't played a tank in pvp twink nor endgame in a long time so I don't know about it right now. When I did play my heals went to my teammates although I would try to save myself from time to time, but I had always tried to move within healing range of my teammates when I did use it for myself. If those dmge tanks are out there now, I wouldn't have considered them being a great tank depending on how I compared their health and armor to their damage.

inkredible
01-20-2014, 10:03 AM
The warrior class is the hardest class for me to play out of all three, but is an essential part in elites and pvp. The hard thing about playing a tank is that you have to look at evrything. With a rogue and a mage its much easier. All you really have to do is spam your skills (while watching your health from time to time) and you could get the job done. With a warrior, you have the responsibility of keeping your team alive which means holding aggro, spamming pots and using heal when your teammates need it.

I get really mad when someone in an elite Pug asks you for mana while they have the money and pots to spend while wanting to save a few hundred gold.

I haven't played a tank in pvp twink nor endgame in a long time so I don't know about it right now. When I did play my heals went to my teammates although I would try to save myself from time to time, but I had always tried to move within healing range of my teammates when I did use it for myself. If those dmge tanks are out there now, I wouldn't have considered them being a great tank depending on how I compared their health and armor to their damage.

Lol deff can't agree with you more . Plus mages shouldn't have health/mana skill in pve. Let everyone spam their pots. In pvp ts understandable bec that's what mages for.. Team work wise help with mana and heal. As for tank you're right about that, a lot of people do say that being a warrior is harder than any other classes when I teach warriors now in my guild I constantly tell them that they have to watch EVERYTHING.

Meaning.
1. Where all your teams are at
2. Their health
3. Where your enemies are at
4. The classes of who you're fighting against with

And then evaluate your use of skills..
I use 5 skills in pvp now because I switch around depending on my tanking style.. Meaning who I'm playin against and the best skills to use to keep everyone alive. every use of skill is so critical for warriors more than anyone think , specially the use of JUGG.. A warrior needs to evaluate when is the best to use it
And Check the damn floor for packs to buy yourself a few second for your cool down and heal everyone
I don't care if ur rogue team is half way their health but if ur almost dying grab that Sht first and then heal right away . I'm not saying it doesn't go for any other teams. Team work is deff critical it's not only base on warrior
Mages also watch everyone's health to help warrior buy some time for their heal cool down... But rogues also gotta understand ur packs isn't only for u to use.. If u see the warriors health going down lay them packs in front of them , take one for urself then back the hell off stay behind the warr until he heals

Newcomx
01-20-2014, 10:06 PM
Yeah.. warrior is harder if play alone, especially in shuyal :D

becky_xil
01-21-2014, 12:49 AM
Yeah im lv21 warrior twink.. when pvp the main concern is
Watch team mate hp bar
Stun and feeble the killer (rogue and sorce)
Working well for me tho.. since im not kdr lovers.. and its not an easy job ;) .. become last man standing in pvo doesn't not make warrior easy to play unless you are selfish hahha

Send using my cellphone.. yes my cellphone

Zorin
01-22-2014, 08:12 AM
Warriors are the hardest/challenging out of the three classes. That being said, I find them a lot more fun to use than the other classes.

To play one needs timing, vigilance and knowledge of the area.

You also don't need to spam pots if you have a great team where everyone helps each other out.

Striderevil
01-24-2014, 03:47 PM
I have both a mage and war. War is far easier because unlike the other two classes it can handle crits from bosses and other goons in game. Its ability to heal and that too not just one heal ability really makes it a tank. Now if you have aggro. on more than one skill then you don't have to worry so much about team mates as most times they are safe as you absorb most hits. I usually use heal just before a boss crits to make sure my team mates who are squishy can survive the crit attacks. I never depend on mana from mages cause of their low survivability. Expecting a mage to run into a boss crit zone to replenish mana is ridiculous. All I expect from the is to keep hitting the boss for high damage. For mana I use Haze and have never run out of it lol. Its fine to use mana pots when using pets that don't have mana regen but its a pain.

Newcomx
01-26-2014, 08:48 PM
I have both a mage and war. War is far easier because unlike the other two classes it can handle crits from bosses and other goons in game. Its ability to heal and that too not just one heal ability really makes it a tank. Now if you have aggro. on more than one skill then you don't have to worry so much about team mates as most times they are safe as you absorb most hits. I usually use heal just before a boss crits to make sure my team mates who are squishy can survive the crit attacks. I never depend on mana from mages cause of their low survivability. Expecting a mage to run into a boss crit zone to replenish mana is ridiculous. All I expect from the is to keep hitting the boss for high damage. For mana I use Haze and have never run out of it lol. Its fine to use mana pots when using pets that don't have mana regen but its a pain.

Based on my experience, using Sorc/Rogue is easier to get party, using Warr... sometimes is hard to get party if we don't use mythic gears :D ... is hard to run solo using warr, except if we pass the boss.

Crowsfoot
01-26-2014, 09:55 PM
My experience is that many players admit they picked warrior as their class because "it looked cool" even though they want to deal massive damage. The desire to be an "off-tank" leads many to use a devourer maul which is only superior to a dimensional targe in PvP. My opinion is that unless your packing upgraded myth use a targe. Even with myth, a large is a good choice.

inkredible
01-29-2014, 11:28 AM
My experience is that many players admit they picked warrior as their class because "it looked cool" even though they want to deal massive damage. The desire to be an "off-tank" leads many to use a devourer maul which is only superior to a dimensional targe in PvP. My opinion is that unless your packing upgraded myth use a targe. Even with myth, a large is a good choice.

yup when i had visage i usually use that for pve over entombed or dev maul, that additional armour really do help a lot and u can feel the diff

Solid
01-29-2014, 08:42 PM
I wish rogues had hammers.

Newcomx
01-29-2014, 10:46 PM
I wish rogues had hammers.

I want to see this also :D

gumball3000
02-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Runs are always slower when using that targe, at least thats how i feel about it. I used Targe, mythic pavise, entombed, architect but i always came back to my 200 gold dev maul.
The only advantage to the targe is that it adds a little bit of surviability but it is only slighty noticeable. The dev also has a nice proc and good mana so i can continously spam my skills.
It all comes down to your style of play, if you are more passive and only use your heal while saving on those mana and hp potions then go with the targe or any other shield. If you like to engage and actually make the run faster and smoother then go with a damage weapon.
If you find yourself in a case where the mage is really useless and the party has to rely on your taunts for crowd control and you really can't deal with the incoming damage then you could switch to the targe.
If the party has.more than one tank then the targe is completely useless.

For all the km3 runners out there: please stop using pavise or targe, it really isn't helping the party in any way.

Crowsfoot
02-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Runs are always slower when using that targe, at least thats how i feel about it. I used Targe, mythic pavise, entombed, architect but i always came back to my 200 gold dev maul.
The only advantage to the targe is that it adds a little bit of surviability but it is only slighty noticeable. The dev also has a nice proc and good mana so i can continously spam my skills.
It all comes down to your style of play, if you are more passive and only use your heal while saving on those mana and hp potions then go with the targe or any other shield. If you like to engage and actually make the run faster and smoother then go with a damage weapon.
If you find yourself in a case where the mage is really useless and the party has to rely on your taunts for crowd control and you really can't deal with the incoming damage then you could switch to the targe.

For all the km3 runners out there: please stop using pavise or targe, it really isn't helping the party in any way.

I don't believe at all that a devourer maul is better than an entombed warfare or architect blade of assault.

Also, we were talking about running elite, not km3. Regular maps are so easy you can use all crate gear and a lep there.

Arachnophobik
03-24-2014, 08:21 AM

couldnt agree more.