PDA

View Full Version : Ethical Question - Price Fixing at the Consignment Store

Vasantanesa
01-15-2014, 11:09 PM
Is it allowed? I'm sure there's a player that locking out the market on a particualr item at the store right now.

Energizeric
01-15-2014, 11:13 PM
It's part of the economics of the game. As far as I know anyone is entitled to buy any item and then ask any price for it that they want. So if I want to buy all of a certain item and then try boosting the price, that is my right. However, often times such an attempt will backfire if others who are holding those items then decide to sell, and push the price back down.

Many months ago there was a player named "Love" who was the best merchant in the game. He had dozens of mythic and arcane items, back when mythics were worth 5m+ each. A few times he attempted to do that, and he told me it didn't work as other players would always end up trying to undercut him. Early on he made a fortune and from what he told me he had about 250m worth of gold & items, and that was early in season 4. But later on he lost a bundle when mythic items crashed. Cornering the market on any item is really tough unless it's an item that is discontinued but still in high demand.

Zheogev
01-15-2014, 11:24 PM
it is an open market.

dont like it dont buy

Vasantanesa
01-15-2014, 11:25 PM
Well, the reason I'm asking is he's doing the exact opposite... he's pushing prices down and buying up all the stock so he can then resell it at a much higher price. I mean you're right, if a player buys an item for 1g and then tries to sell it for 1m that's on them, but this guys undercutting even himself with every sell cycle, trying to drive prices down to rock bottom, and his wall of items is getting thicker by the hour.

Vasantanesa
01-15-2014, 11:28 PM
it is an open market.

dont like it dont buy

Very witty, now read the rest of the post so you understand the situation.

Xpell
01-15-2014, 11:36 PM
Well, the reason I'm asking is he's doing the exact opposite... he's pushing prices down and buying up all the stock so he can then resell it at a much higher price. I mean you're right, if a player buys an item for 1g and then tries to sell it for 1m that's on them, but this guys undercutting even himself with every sell cycle, trying to drive prices down to rock bottom, and his wall of items is getting thicker by the hour.

This depends on what item he is selling. He would lose money depending on how much he sells it for and the fee for the items he listed. There really isnt any rules for the CS as what the players asking price for the item is what they want for it. Its really his or her way of earning money. If u watch the CS, you would be able to see if what the person is selling is overpriced or not.

Vasantanesa
01-15-2014, 11:42 PM
This depends on what item he is selling. He would lose money depending on how much he sells it for and the fee for the items he listed. There really isnt any rules for the CS as what the players asking price for the item is what they want for it. Its really his or her way of earning money. If u watch the CS, you would be able to see if what the person is selling is overpriced or not.

Well, here's the scenario... It's a commonly sold item that goes for like 90k. You put one up for 85k, I buy it, and put it up for 80k, losing 5K + deposit. Suddenly, 2 people put theirs up for 75k and another for 70k. I buy all 3, put them up for 70k, lose 10k + deposits. I keep doing this till prices are at 40k, at which point I have 23 of this item on the store on a 3 day deposit. The people above me disappear (since they can't sell), and everyone is forced to sell at my price or lower. I keep buying all lower prices until my items are sold or they expire, at which point, I buy up all the remaining stock and reset to regular price. I'll lose a couple of 100k in the process, but reap millions in the later resells.

Gamerguyios
01-15-2014, 11:59 PM
So wait, there's only a certain number of any one item in the market? I'm new so I'm still learning stuff about this game. I'm kinda into market stuff so I think I might do some stuff with this once I get higher level and can afford stuff.

Frohnatur
01-16-2014, 12:00 AM
You will not reap in millions unless this item is discontinued. The point is: you cant fix a price like this, because items got always replaced by new farmed ones. As you said, the item in question is commonly traded, there seem to be replenishing resources. Therefore, not an discontinued item.

Vasantanesa
01-16-2014, 12:02 AM
You will not reap in millions unless this item is discontinued. The point is: you cant fix a price like this, because items got always replaced by new farmed ones. As you said, the item in question is commonly traded, there seem to be replenishing resources. Therefore, not an discontinued item.

I'm talking about boxes, which are replenished constantly in supply. If he can keep prices low for long enough, he can reap a lot on resales.

Frohnatur
01-16-2014, 12:03 AM
So wait, there's only a certain number of any one item in the market? I'm new so I'm still learning stuff about this game. I'm kinda into market stuff so I think I might do some stuff with this once I get higher level and can afford stuff.

No, usually items are continued and keep dropping at the appropriate levels. Its rather rare that items got discontinued. And if they do, its very often that they got replaced by similar stuff. Or even topped, as it now happend with the Tarlok items.

Frohnatur
01-16-2014, 12:05 AM
I'm talking about boxes, which are replenished constantly in supply. If he can keep prices low for long enough, he can reap a lot on resales.

What do you mean by 'long enough'? If they are constantly replenished, there is no end for 'long enough'. There are just too many players that can get new boxes (whatever boxes you mean, probably these music boxes).

Furthermore, everybody can do the same. Buy the boxes at low price and resell 'em later.

Gamerguyios
01-16-2014, 12:06 AM
So the store decides what the cost if stuff is and not the actual players?

Frohnatur
01-16-2014, 12:08 AM
So the store decides what the cost if stuff is and not the actual players?

No. The seller decides, what the price is.

Fyrce
01-16-2014, 12:11 AM
Mob rule.

Gamerguyios
01-16-2014, 12:18 AM
No. The seller decides, what the price is.

Ohhhhhhhhh ok I get it now thanks man!

Vasantanesa
01-16-2014, 12:35 AM
Well, an in all, thaks guys! This was educational.

Energizeric
01-16-2014, 01:38 AM
This doesn't work. If you put those items up for sale at low enough prices, people will buy them before others will list new ones, so the price will go back up. If people don't buy them quick enough, then the item is not in very big demand and the lower price is probably justified. Remember that just because items are being sold in the CS for a certain price, it does not mean anyone is actually buying them. Unlike eBay, we are not able to search for "completed sales" . We can only see current asking prices.

I've seen items where there were 30 listed in the shop for 100k+, then I list mine for 80k and it doesn't sell in 3 days. So how much is the item worth? Answer: less than 80k. All of them were overpriced, and none were actually sold.

Please don't confuse asking price with actual value.

Anarchist
01-16-2014, 03:57 AM
A week ago someone tried this on fangs and lost money cause after a day or so the price of fangs dropped lower than they were before he tried to higher their price.

MERCH TIP: What you can do and what i did is taken advantage of the situation(Don't try this on discontinued items though) if you have the item someone is trying to hoard sell it those couple of hours the price goes up and rebuy it when they come down, i got 300k from doing nothing.

Wutzgood
01-16-2014, 08:45 AM
Perfect example is the winterfest tree hats in auction now. In the last week I've watched the same people try to sell for 600-700k then slowly relist them for lower and lower till they were 400k and noone is still buying them. One went as low as 300k and was bought and relisted for 400k instantly. Its still sitting in auction.

Now this is a discontinued item but what they don't realize is that the body of that vanity is worth alot. The hat just isn't wanted as much so people aren't buying it.

Trying to lock the market down and buy up all of a certain item most likely means you will lose money in the long run. Its rare where you will actually make the fortune you are tying to. You can always ask for alot for an item but it comes down to whether people will buy it at that price or not.

bhutkeyur
01-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Ethically it isnt right. In real life you will get punishment by doing that - example: stock market. In AL its ok bcoz of small economy.

Fauksuras
01-16-2014, 04:26 PM
If I understood this correctly he is only making himself lose since people in Arlor refuse to pay a high price for an item once they see it low enough.

For example mythic weapons. Mythic bow for a while was 2.5M or so, then it went back up to near 4M and people felt ENTITLED to buy it at previous prices because it was once there. Since theres a finite number of bows they had to get used to it, so what your friend is doing can work.

But if what he is manipulating something formable like an egg type or item he won't be able to do because

1) it is farmable

2) if condition #1 is met people won't be willing to pay high price if they saw it for cheap and KNOW a new source of supply will arrive soon