PDA

View Full Version : game slowdown on long-lasting maps

Fusionstrike
01-16-2014, 04:26 PM
I've noticed a consistent pattern of the game slowing down when playing on the same map for a long enough time. I've never seen it on maps with a finite number of enemies, but maps with infinite respawns like Lost Valley in BSM do seem to have the problem. Here's what happens.

Everything goes fine for about 10 to 15 minutes on the map. Then I'll start to see the frame rate (i.e. rate of screen refresh) steadily start to drop. Over the next 3-5 minutes, the frame rate gets down so low that it's like seeing only a few still shots, making it very choppy and hard to move around. If I die though (which is easy to do with everything so bogged down) the problem will be gone when I revive.

This is a very repeatable problem and not due to internet connection or other traditional lag sources. Most times the game will be reporting a good ping (sub 200) even at its most choppy, and there are none of the symptoms of "normal" lag like mobs not moving, other players teleporting around, etc. It's pretty clear that there's no problem contacting the server, just something local going on in the client itself.

My best guess is that there's some kind of resource leak happening with each mob or skill use or something. On most maps it's not a problem anyone sees because the place runs out of targets before the leak slows anything down. Also, it's definitely a local problem because dying clears it right up. I think the map goes through some kind of local reinitialization upon dying and reviving, since you'll see any notifications like a friend request pop back up again after revive (as if you just entered the map for the first time). So I think whatever is happening when a player "joins" the map again after reviving clears up the issue.

I see this problem consistently on my Galaxy S4. It is running Android 4.2. I'm not sure if it happens on other platforms like ipad, but if I get a chance I'll give it a try. If anyone else sees this issue, could you chime in with the device you're using?

Fusionstrike
01-20-2014, 03:02 PM
I got to try a bunch of runs on ipad and I definitely did not see this problem. I was in several 30+ minute maps without any degradation of performance. So it looks like this problem is confined to android version of PL. I'd love to hear from other android users if they see this as well on other devices or not to help figure out if it's device-specific.

DocDoBig
01-26-2014, 08:31 PM
I just played LV for 10 minutes now and it seems OK to me actually, I am using my Google Nexus 4 with Android 4.3 at an internet connection of an Internet Flatrate (not WiFi).

Not sure how fast it is - maybe 40 kb/s at the max which isn't really high I know but I rarely experience long lag spikes with it except when I'm on a toon with many friends in the FL.

On my main, Guild has 370 members, 250 Friends @ Average Ping of 400.

Fusionstrike
01-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Ok, good to know. If it happened to you it would be very obvious. It goes downhill and leaves you barely able to do anything because the screen refreshes so slowly. You're still "there", but it's like watching in extreme slow motion. Then if you die it clears up immediately.

I believe there's some memory leak or something that just takes a while to build up and slow down the app's processing to the point that it starts missing screen updates. If you don't see it on Android 4.3 then it means it's device-specific somehow. Although I can't remember exactly the time, 10 minutes might be right on the border. If you ever do 20+ mins and don't see the problem, then that's pretty strong proof.

DocDoBig
01-27-2014, 02:08 PM
When I do a grind in LV again I will let ya know!