PDA

View Full Version : Mana sheild?

GoofyYno
11-24-2010, 11:39 AM
first thanks for helping me out. this site has really helped me out. I hope I'm not asking too many stupid questions. I do search for an answer before I post.

anyway, I have 7 m/s mana regen and can do most spells without mana loss, but when I use mana shield it goes way down. I thought It's suppose to increase my mana like drain life increases my health?

Royce
11-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Nope mana shield redirects incoming damage to your mana pool instead of health (as long as you have mana left). It's best used as an emergency precaution, and is even less useful in many situations since the regen nerf (which went a bit too far for mage M/s IMO). Anyway, still a required skill for emergency situations, but don't use it willy nilly ;)

addiekai
11-24-2010, 12:01 PM
30 dmg means -30 mana and so forth....

GoofyYno
11-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Oh, boy not nearly as cool as I though. Doubt I'll be using that much. Luckly I've only allocated 1 to it.

Ominae
11-25-2010, 03:57 AM
And mana shield gives u additional amount of armor.

GoofyYno
11-25-2010, 11:50 AM
I just figured out how to use it. when my health is almost out, it gives my heal spell a chance to reset.

addiekai
11-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Yeap.

Mana Shield is just used for emergency, as it's too costly if you constantly have it on.

2 instances I can think of to have it on are

1) You getting mobbed, and Heal and pots are still on cooldown.

2) Extra boost of Def when taking on bosses (solo or in team, when the boss goes aggro on you)

It's a nifty skill, and could prove valuable if used correctly.

KingFu
11-25-2010, 12:32 PM
They forgot one thing, lol, mana shield also gives an armor buff:)

Thelonearcher
11-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Shields shields shields I hate how keepers shield is timed and unromovable >_<

TheLaw
11-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Shields shields shields I hate how keepers shield is timed and unromovable >_<

But look at the bright side, If you're in a good team, you wont even need to wait. (I suggest using Sunblessed Bow to kill him)

@GoofyYno- Mana shield is pretty good at high levels. Most Mages prefer it rather than other skills. It helps to being a dual-spec Paladin and mage for it Brings up skill effectiveness.

dennis930913
11-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Mana shield is good >.< i lvl 5 and i use often. so you just need a lot of mana pots and little health pot :) = Less die XD

dennis930913
11-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Mana shield is good >.< i lvl 5 and i use often. so you just need a lot of mana pots and little health pot = Less die XD

Winternight
11-26-2010, 12:19 PM
If you're tanking, Mana Shield can be an effective tool. Otherwise it probably won't prove to be too useful.

mcyto
12-29-2010, 09:24 PM
I love this skill. Its quite effective for rushing imo.

Ayrilana
12-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah I usually use it when I'm rushing and/or know I'm going to take aggro. Easier to spam mana potions than health potions and run the risk of dying. My mana pool is also much greater than HP which helps a lot.

Guolin
12-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Mana Shield is indeed a lifesaver in AO3...as long as you retreat before you get blasted out. I usually turn it on when I'm rushing into a mob to Lightning/Hot Flash them, then I retreat for the birds to come in. It's even more valuable in boss battles, especially the Keeper. (not as useful against Gurgox of course) Also, I hit Heal and Mana Shield as soon as I revive in dangerous situations.

Granted, the only reasons I need Mana Potions at all are Mana Shield and Death (the second being obvious) - I'm a Pure Int Mage, so my other spells barely even chip my Mana bar in the long run.

Pharcyde
12-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Oh man this is a old thread :p. Mana shield should only be used if you have means of refilling your mana. If not, bye bye spells.

Guolin
12-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Well yeahhhh, in PvP, even Pure Int Mages cannot recover Mana fast enough. Even in PvE, it's a good idea to retreat after you Mana Shield + Dump Spells - otherwise, when you run out of mana and start losing health, you'll have to spam health pots or you'll be in deep trouble.