PDA

View Full Version : how to kill mages with more than 4 skills.

Solid
01-20-2014, 08:06 PM
If STS doesn't fix this, let this serve as a guide to kill mages who use more than 4 skills in a 1v1.

First off, if the mage uses curse (a little cloud will appear on ur toon) then DON'T use noxious bolt.

A typical 6 skill mage will use shield then apply it's curse then swap to its heal and attack skills. When the "go" is given use packs.

After he/she uses shield and curse you will notice him stop, (this is him/her swapping skills)- charge ur bow or daggers as soon as he/she comes back from switching, it is useless if u stun him/her while he/she is swapping.

Always charge aimedshot in a mage 1v1 and take packs wisely, you might even have time to pack twice, do it!
Simply tap dash, repeat this combo of charged aimed and dash, if you see the cloud go away and/or thing your opponent is low then use noxious bolt as well.

Constructive feedback is welcome.

Slywannas
01-25-2014, 02:49 PM
Some constructive feedback: Don't waste mana when he pops his shield up. When it goes up the smurf has 2sec of you not being able to touch him. This can also be a good time to consider your options and strategy along with everything Postu said, which pretty much covers it all up.

Bless
01-25-2014, 03:03 PM
For me curse mages are very easy but I won't give my tactics. For full myth rogues, 5 skill mages won't be an extreme problem, they are hard if you don't have good gear.

But whatever I guess, I can hold my own against mages.

One tip: Utilize heal to it's max.

Kalahesi
01-25-2014, 03:44 PM
Thank you for this post, really insightful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Instanthumor
01-25-2014, 04:54 PM
Correction, usually, mages will activate shield first, switch skills, and THEN apply curse. This is coming from experience lol.

Solid
02-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Bumping for those who have trouble.

Stay solid my friends.

Limsi
02-21-2014, 10:43 PM
Solid.

Madnex
02-22-2014, 08:03 AM
Curse is a pretty weak skill on 1v1 if you know how to counter it.
Veil negates it but there are other ways too.

I'm pretty sure me and bless are using that same tactic here. Charged bow stun helps a great deal.
Another tactic utilises the fact that curse has half the other skills' range.

The only reason curse is/used to be lethal is because most people think they can keep dealing damage like they used to and still win.

Bless
02-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Curse is a pretty weak skill on 1v1 if you know how to counter it.
Veil negates it but there are other ways too.

I'm pretty sure me and bless are using that same tactic here. Charged bow stun helps a great deal.

The only reason curse is/used to be lethal is because most people think they can keep dealing damage like they used to and still win. OR why not avoid curse completely? Just charge pierce and go out of their range when they charge curse.

Zeus
02-23-2014, 04:23 PM
OR why not avoid curse completely? Just charge pierce and go out of their range when they charge curse.

This tactic isn't as reliable though.

Solid
02-23-2014, 05:13 PM
This tactic isn't as reliable though.

Correct, I just play it safe by avoiding nox completely if curse hits.

falmear
02-23-2014, 07:09 PM
Just as a counter to the original post, if I was using a 5 skill build against a rogue I'd use fire,ice,light,curse,shield. During 2 secs of invulnerability swap out shield for another attack skill (preferably shield to curse), then go to town. This negates 1 rogue attack skill (nox) so now its a battle of 4 attack skills vs 2 attack skills. Use fire,ice,light in the beginning and draw out the rogue to use nox. Then drop curse on them after they hit you with nox. On rematch switch it up as to when you will drop curse. If they like to use charged pierce then drop curse at the beginning after you stun them with fireball. Ice is your weapon to keep rogues away from packs and ice can still hit them when using charged pierce as ice has the distance. Finish them with charged lightning.

As the rogue chances their strategy, changes yours to adapt. Bow stun? Use a stun pet to counter. Using veil? Learn the range of your skills, fireball & ice have the same distance as aimed shot. If they can hit you, you can hit them. Using veil brings them down to just aimed shot because they will probably want to hold off pierce. You can stand outside of charged veil and still hit them with fire, ice and probably lighting. I don't 1v1 much but these are the kinds of things I would be trying to use and thinking about. While observing my opponents strategy.

Madnex
02-24-2014, 06:11 AM
Unless the sorcerer uses shield first, charged bow stun followed by uncharged AS, SP and normal attack ends the fight right there. Even if you get stunned by fireball your AS will go through and do some devastating damage from the start of the fight.

If they do, stun with bow, throw packs, charge AS and position yourself close to packs to endure the upcoming fireball stun. I believe you can stun again when packs have reached half their cd. Adding a pet stun anywhere helps a lot too.

Stunlocks can be countered only with stuns. Time is on rogue's side (assuming we're talking about equally geared players).

Zeus
02-27-2014, 05:57 PM
Just as a counter to the original post, if I was using a 5 skill build against a rogue I'd use fire,ice,light,curse,shield. During 2 secs of invulnerability swap out shield for another attack skill (preferably shield to curse), then go to town. This negates 1 rogue attack skill (nox) so now its a battle of 4 attack skills vs 2 attack skills. Use fire,ice,light in the beginning and draw out the rogue to use nox. Then drop curse on them after they hit you with nox. On rematch switch it up as to when you will drop curse. If they like to use charged pierce then drop curse at the beginning after you stun them with fireball. Ice is your weapon to keep rogues away from packs and ice can still hit them when using charged pierce as ice has the distance. Finish them with charged lightning.

As the rogue chances their strategy, changes yours to adapt. Bow stun? Use a stun pet to counter. Using veil? Learn the range of your skills, fireball & ice have the same distance as aimed shot. If they can hit you, you can hit them. Using veil brings them down to just aimed shot because they will probably want to hold off pierce. You can stand outside of charged veil and still hit them with fire, ice and probably lighting. I don't 1v1 much but these are the kinds of things I would be trying to use and thinking about. While observing my opponents strategy.

Trust me on the just using aimed shot, it will KO you in two or three charged aimed shots max. Also, when all you have is ice and fire, tanking those skills in veil is easy peasy. If you'd like to test out some of these theories, I wouldn't mind.