PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Drain Life

Lodenk
11-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Hello all,
As I have been leveling I have noticed that Drain life has the capability to greatly increase my DPS, that being said I am unaware of the mechanics involved in the spell.

My questions boils down to this,
Do I have to be missing live for this spell to work, and if so is the amount of life I am missing correlate to the amount of life I drain? So if I am at 1% Health and I pop this off am I more likely to see the higher end of the spell vs casting it at 99% health and only seeing 1% of my life applicable to the spell (and being that I am an enchantress that 1% is not a lot.

The damage coefficient is actually similar to Frostbite but rather than having the freeze I get life refunded (which helps any time) but due to the fact that its three times the mana and has such a big cool down I want to know if I am at 100% life will I still drain the requisite life from my target and over healed that amount or will the spell drain 0% of my life and take 36 mana.

If the spell will drain the HP from the target as laid out in spell description do other enchantresses find keeping this on CD is useful?

Varking
11-28-2010, 05:59 PM
To answer some parts of your question:

1) No, you do not need to be missing life for this spell to work. Sometimes I use this to pull mobs one by one.

2) No, it is not percentage based.

I love this spell overall but I am a Paladin Build dual speccing to be able to help clear better at 50 when in groups.

Just tested it again for you. I had full health all three times, and I did 149, 161, and 168 damage each time. It does indeed do damage even when you have no health. Gaabob also tested this after we discussed it in the chat box and confirmed it.

Arterra
11-29-2010, 08:25 AM
I don't necessarily use this to recover health because of the time lagg between casting and healing, but I use it when I know I'm about to take massive damage, to give me time to spam all skills needed, wether Pvp or in the middle of mobs.

Ellyidol
11-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Its range is pretty good too. I usually cast it for those ranged mobs that just need a bit to kill but too far for any other spells.

Duke
11-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I primarily use it offensively. Getting health back is simply bonus, and a maxed Drain Life actually seems to restore more health than a maxed Heal. Of course, the latter is AoE for allies.

Lodenk
12-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Yeah I just wondering if it was worth having in the rotation and it appears that it is.

Arterra
12-01-2010, 08:51 PM
fav spell... just wanted to point out that it is the first spell used after self crit buff activated... getting it crit is like Hell in Heaven.

Pharcyde
12-04-2010, 07:08 PM
I do believe that it does greater damage if you are missing hp though.

Yeah, I primarily use it offensively. Getting health back is simply bonus, and a maxed Drain Life actually seems to restore more health than a maxed Heal. Of course, the latter is AoE for allies.

Plus you get 4 heals before drain life even cools down.

Heal - 6 second cool down
Drain Life - 24 second cool down

Lesrider
12-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Just want to add, drain life is my favorite skill when hunting vyxnaar. Since I often end up playing with low lvl leeches, I'm the only one doing damage and taking damage -- so nice to both heal and hurt with the same skill.

Pharcyde
12-04-2010, 07:49 PM
I'm actually not a fan of it at all. I have 2 drain life and 1 frost bite. (The extra 3 stat points)

Varking
12-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Do you play as a Pally or Pure, Pharcyde?

Pharcyde
12-04-2010, 08:06 PM
dual build. pally and nuke mage(pure)

Dual is so great because basicly I am still a pure. The 128 points put into str surprisingly doesnt really effect my pure effectiveness that much. Majority of the effectiveness comes from the gear.

Lesrider
12-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Shhh don't say that too loud. Don't want another nerf...

Pharcyde
12-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Shhh don't say that too loud. Don't want another nerf...

ewww don't remind me about the nerf :(

bearlyme86
12-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Not based on empirical evidence, but drain life seems to be the single most potent weapon in a mage's skill set in terms of damage dealt. HUGE fan.

Facehumper
12-11-2010, 06:21 PM
I love drain life for when I have a little more aggro than I probably should after dropping a major AoE bomb... heal may have a fast cool-down, but sometimes it's not fast enough.

Not based on empirical evidence, but drain life seems to be the single most potent weapon in a mage's skill set in terms of damage dealt. HUGE fan.

I dunno about that... even if you crit on a debuffed mob with drain life, that fatty cooldown isn't exactly making a case for drain life being a major DPS contributor. Every other damage dealing skill does more DPS because you're talking about getting off 2-3 casts of every other damage spell per each drain life. You can bust off 4 lightnings for every one drain life, and drain life does maybe 33% more damage (to only one mob, no less) with quadruple the cool-down. So, 4 lightnings will easily average you 400 damage to each mob near you while drain life will get you about 175 damage on one mob.

The most potent skill that mages have for DPS output is the self-buff component of blessing of might. +25 dmg and 50 crit for 2/3rds of the time (20 sec duration, 30 sec CD)? Yes please! I hardly think I need to explain that any further...

That being said, I have 5 points in drain life and I love it for what it is.

Also, drain life has same 12m range as frostbite.

jonboy
12-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Drain life, does damage and gives health it's bi love goodness.

omnipresence
12-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Great spell. It has a long range making it good to pull with, can give you health while doing damage, and still does good damage even if you're full health.

Arterra
12-13-2010, 04:31 PM

lol i see birds hit n run, i combo, they survive, drain DONE! :D

mrpredalien
12-15-2010, 09:31 AM
I just personally like this skill for attacking purposes. It does give you some hp, but that's honestly not going to be enough to kill mob or other 50.

Sarthius
12-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Can it be used in a combo?

Duke
12-16-2010, 08:13 AM
No combo that I know of. It still takes a pretty good chunk by itself, although with a long cooldown time. Your best best is to hit the target with the standard debuffs (Weakness + Nightmare), chuck a Blessing of Might to increase your crit chance, and then fire off Drain Life.

omnipresence
12-17-2010, 12:59 AM
In AO3 on bosses, I find myself healing more than anything but when my debuffs refresh I run through this cycle while heal is refreshing. Let's me attack the boss without drawing aggro... usually.

BOM & BOV (if they aren't already up), weakness, nightmare, lightning, icestorm (or frost bite), fire storm (kaboom combo), drain life, heal, heal, heal, heal... start again.

Pharcyde
12-22-2010, 01:57 AM
I just personally like this skill for attacking purposes. It does give you some hp, but that's honestly not going to be enough to kill mob or other 50.

Thats where your wrong. The rebalance boosted overal HP a TON. They also boosted drain lifes ability a TON. It is enough to completely refill your hp while heal can fill 1/4th of it.

Also in PvP Drain life is one of your most important spells. I like calling it the punisher or grim reaper spell. Its litterally a nice little KO packed neatly in a box.

No combo that I know of. It still takes a pretty good chunk by itself, although with a long cooldown time. Your best best is to hit the target with the standard debuffs (Weakness + Nightmare), chuck a Blessing of Might to increase your crit chance, and then fire off Drain Life.

I have actually found that it doesn't matter if your buffed or if they are debuffed. It still usually takes the same amount of hp from them.

In AO3 on bosses, I find myself healing more than anything but when my debuffs refresh I run through this cycle while heal is refreshing. Let's me attack the boss without drawing aggro... usually.

BOM & BOV (if they aren't already up), weakness, nightmare, lightning, icestorm (or frost bite), fire storm (kaboom combo), drain life, heal, heal, heal, heal... start again.

Thats also part of why Keeper doesn't die before first shield is because people safe to not take aggro.. Come on guys hes nerfed take some aggro! You guys shoulda tried taking aggro when he was mega beast and pure int mages were horrible.

mrpredalien
12-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Well, My opinion
Always never fail me to fail :P
I mean it always fail. Lol

Pharcyde
12-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Well, My opinion
Always never fail me to fail :P
I mean it always fail. Lol

wait what?

mrpredalien
12-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Lol Pharcyde. Let me translate.
"You are right, I am wrong"

Pharcyde
12-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Lol Pharcyde. Let me translate.
"You are right, I am wrong"

hahaha okay? Still confused :P.

mrpredalien
12-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Pharcyde you seem to know EVERYTHING about PL,, :P
Did you start playing as soon as PL came out??
Or are you like 20-30 years old and super smart?? lol

Pharcyde
12-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Pharcyde you seem to know EVERYTHING about PL,, :P
Did you start playing as soon as PL came out??
Or are you like 20-30 years old and super smart?? lol

16 years old.
Played since it came out. Never ever was productively active in the forums though and was technically a noobie for 5-6 months (Never bought new maps and was lvl 13. Pocket Legends sat kinda idly in the back of my ipod for months).