PDA

View Full Version : Room Master?

Metztli
02-04-2014, 08:25 PM
I would like to discuss expanding player control of a map by allowing the first player who enters the map to be room master. Currently, players have the option of entering a map individually (for pick-up games) or as a party. I like pick-up games because it offers the chance to meet and interact with players I may not have met before, but sometimes I want more control over who I play alongside in those random games.

For example, when I am in the Tunnels of Valheim or Camp Boulder, I often encounter players who purposely just stand there or lie around as corpses. Their presence makes the mob scale up (so more work and potion use for me) while they get credit for the kills despite doing nothing. I would like the option to kick out such players. Also I think some players want to get a pick-up game with other players who are willing to fight the boss, but many players will kill the mob and exit before killing the boss. I think players might appreciate the ability to screen other players for a pick-up game to defeat the map boss.

Madnex
02-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Yeah it's been discussed to add a kick system based on democratic vote but as nice of a suggestion as it is, it's going to sit somewhere in the "things we might add later" list that devs have.

Zylx
02-05-2014, 02:48 PM
I disagree with anything that involves kicking a player out of a game. They have the same right as everyone else to play that map, and if that right can be taken away by another equal player, people would abuse that power, ultimately pissing people off. It would be a foolish action on account of STS to incorporate this into the game. With guilds, it's different because a player can purchase a guild and do whatever he desires with it. If you dont want to deal with those kinds of people, then just do it solo (by simply typing "/partyinvite 000" before entering the zone), or with a pre-organized party.

Artae
02-05-2014, 03:00 PM
I disagree with anything that involves kicking a player out of a game. They have the same right as everyone else to play that map, and if that right can be taken away by another equal player, people would abuse that power, ultimately pissing people off. It would be a foolish action on account of STS to incorporate this into the game. With guilds, it's different because a player can purchase a guild and do whatever he desires with it. If you dont want to deal with those kinds of people, then just do it solo (by simply typing "/partyinvite 000" before entering the zone), or with a pre-organized party.

I 100% agree with this. It wont be fair if someone can kick someone else just because they can.

Rare
02-05-2014, 08:05 PM

Actually, it was one of the best features of pocket legends that I wish they'd bring back. Hosted games.

Don't think it will ever happen though.

Zylx
02-05-2014, 09:15 PM
Actually, it was one of the best features of pocket legends that I wish they'd bring back. Hosted games.

Don't think it will ever happen though.

And how successful is Pocket Legends now? And btw, Pocket Legends had no organized party system, so hosting a game was like AL's parties.

Energizeric
02-06-2014, 12:16 AM
I agree that hosting games was a nice feature. But you cannot have timed runs with a hosted game feature as it would not mesh well together. Hosted games would only be usable in games where a player can join after the run has already started. So that's why the party system exists instead.

Rare
02-06-2014, 08:44 AM
And how successful is Pocket Legends now? And btw, Pocket Legends had no organized party system, so hosting a game was like AL's parties.

Well we'll see which has a longer life span. Pocket legends has been around for four years. Even though it's not been updated by developers in over a year (New campaigns).

Hosting a game is NOTHING like the party system. This party system is a very poor substitute for what we had in pl.

Rare
02-06-2014, 08:47 AM
I agree that hosting games was a nice feature. But you cannot have timed runs with a hosted game feature as it would not mesh well together. Hosted games would only be usable in games where a player can join after the run has already started. So that's why the party system exists instead.

There are very simple solutions to that problem. And therefore I have to disagree. That's can't be the only reason.

Seeing an open game from a join game screen would be no different than having the join button on your friend list

Zylx
02-06-2014, 12:34 PM
Well we'll see which has a longer life span. Pocket legends has been around for four years. Even though it's not been updated by developers in over a year (New campaigns).

Hosting a game is NOTHING like the party system. This party system is a very poor substitute for what we had in pl.

"Poor"? Our party system allows us to choose a group of people to play with, and you say that it's poor? In pocket legends, you have to host a game and tell people to join. Sure a password was the thing keeping unwanted people to join, but imo, our new party system beats PL's host-game system. We can invite people we want into an organized party, keep track of them, and do maps without anyone else joining.

Rare
02-06-2014, 12:53 PM
"Poor"? Our party system allows us to choose a group of people to play with, and you say that it's poor? In pocket legends, you have to host a game and tell people to join. Sure a password was the thing keeping unwanted people to join, but imo, our new party system beats PL's host-game system. We can invite people we want into an organized party, keep track of them, and do maps without anyone else joining.

Well, aside from the fact that there isn't much difference, it isn't necessary to get rid of parties. Just upgrade it.

How about the fact that it's nearly impossible to run pugs without waiting for ages? In pl, you could look at a a join game screen and find an open game, easily. In al, unless people are pugging the specific map you're on, good luck.

There are good features of al, but in terms of interacting with/ meeting new people, it's poor.

I'll qualify this by saying, the party system is fantastic if you have people to pay with all the time.

DocDoBig
02-06-2014, 12:57 PM

Umm, you did not really need a password to host a game in PL as well ...

Edit: Ninja'd

Rare
02-06-2014, 01:05 PM
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?p=998947

Zylx
02-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Umm, you did not really need a password to host a game in PL as well ...

Edit: Ninja'd

True, but you could make a password so no unwanted people can join.

And the party system isnt what the OP is referring to. They're talking about the ability to kick people out of a map. If you dont like the people in that map, then you should be the one to leave.

Metztli
02-06-2014, 01:45 PM

First, the ability to kick out players does not affect anyone's right to play a map. That player can simply start their own map. Map control would discourage leechers and corpses (you guys know what I mean).

My desire for a room master set-up is to avoid freeloaders while still maintaining the ability to meet other players who PUG. Its not about doing something solo (I'm aware of the partyinvite option) or going in with a pre-set party.

DocDoBig
02-06-2014, 03:02 PM
First, the ability to kick out players does not affect anyone's right to play a map. That player can simply start their own map. Map control would discourage leechers and corpses (you guys know what I mean).

My desire for a room master set-up is to avoid freeloaders while still maintaining the ability to meet other players who PUG. Its not about doing something solo (I'm aware of the partyinvite option) or going in with a pre-set party.

This^

As Sam once said:

We recommend that you host your own games so you can boot users that you don't want in your game.