PDA

View Full Version : What I need to keep playing

Gavry
11-29-2010, 03:56 AM
Let me start this by saying I think Pocket Legends is an incredible game. I have nothing but complete respect for Spacetime and the developers. I am blown away with what they have been able to achieve in the hand-held realm, it is inspiring!

This is in no means intended to be a whine/complaint post, more a simple observation.

I have been playing Pocket Legends from the first month of release, and have thoroughly enjoyed watching it develop and expand. I have now however, come to a point where I have some key changes/features I really think need to be changed/added to keep me interested. Currently the game is suited perfectly for the simple pick-up and play for 20 minutes style, which I'm sure a lot of people love. Me, on the other hand want more. More depth, more variety, more challenges. Without these I am finding the game becoming tedious and boring.

Without further ado I post my list:

1. Complete rehash of the skill/attribute system. Skill tress, more attributes, enhanced skills.

2. Different PVE game types. Ability to play a full set of maps through from the first to last with totally different drop and reward mechanics. Guaranteed drops from certain bosses. Increased restrictions on party changes. Group loot with splitting at the end.

3. Enhanced conversations. Addition of channels; friends, all, map.

4. Male and female version of the three current playable races.

5. Complete rehash of the quest system. Quests that give xp. Quests that can be redone (farmed). Quests that require the giving of certain items to receive others. I am in the process of finishing my Quest overhaul document so refer to that to see the whole idea.

6. Elite and general versions of each map set. Elite versions where there are disabled potions, increased enemy strength and increased drop rates.

7. Rehash the drop system. Allow users to select either random drop or Boss Kill Point (BKP) system. With points system enabled, if T'Paxx has a drop rate of 2% for Wraith Armour a player would be guaranteed the Armour after killing him 50 times. Add an NPC like the consignment shop people who you can trade BKP's for boss equipment.

8. Guilds.

For those who know me I am about to take a break from the game for 6 weeks or so. I'll check back in mid January to see where the game is at.

I hope you have a great Christmas and New Year and that the game is closer to where I'd like it to be on my return.

Peace Out

Gavry / Bavian

Ellyidol
11-29-2010, 04:02 AM
Gavry! Love your ideas. I too hope for changes like these to be made. Though I know not soon or at once, I do hope the game keeps evolving to keep players interested.

Sad to hear you have to take a break though! I'm assuming it's a holiday break? Either way, have fun, have a good Christmas, and see you soon! :)

skimmey
11-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Really good ideas but its actually a total clone of wow then right an voice chat like in palringo would be awesome too if there will come types of bosses which require more timing (:

MoarPewPew
11-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Gavry,
I love all your ideas and I aggree, I want all these ideas implemented. This game is great but it needs more depth like you said. I'm sure when the PC client is realeasd we will have a much more challenging game.

I hope to see you soon, and enjoy your 6 week break.

addiekai
11-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Have fun during the holidays Garvy, and we'll be seeing you real soon :)

pcm2a
11-29-2010, 02:01 PM
I love ideas #3 (Conversations) and #8 (Guilds).

I for one play the game specifically because it is something I can turn on, play for 10 minutes, and turn off. Having to play 2 hour dungeons is why I had to give up WoW/Warhammer.

Derajdefyre
11-29-2010, 02:57 PM
1. I agree that skills and attributes need an overhaul. I am level 32 and several of my skills will NEVER get better. Skills like stomp and beckon are pretty much useless at low levels but are amazing at max level. I do not think, however, that there should be MORE skills and attributes. Keep it simple. Skills don't need trees, but maybe make it so that you can only invest one point in a skill at first, then you need to gain several more levels to get more points.

2. I disagree with every single point you made here especially group loot with splitting. There are already long dungeons. The short dungeons are all connected together in a row. If you want a long game session, play them all in a row. Splitting loot is not a fun thing. Be happy that you get a drop every time. I hated it that in WoW I could run an instance 20 times and get one piece of loot. If you like that go play another game. If you are making an argument about limiting the influx of items into the economy then I agree that is a problem but it can be dealt with in other, better ways.

3. Enhanced conversations would be great, but please please no all chat. There is already map chat. Friends chat would be nice but people add friends all the time, I would not want to get a message whenever anyone on my friends list said something. What I want to see is voice chat. Cell phone keyboards just aren't so great. I wrote up a suggestion post with my voice chat ideas.

4. Would be neat, but certainly not necessary. They are limiting the amount of models on the screen by not allowing sex choices. I would much rather see the system resources loading models of three new classes than opposite sexes of the same classes we have.

5. I read this and thought it said "make the game world of warcraft." There are many things I would like to see go into the game before repeatable quests. Delivery quests could be interesting though. What if you could fill your whole inventory with grain, one unit of grain fills one inventory slot (incentive to buy more inventory!) then you need to fight through a road full of bandits to deliver it. Some bandits would try to steal and run away while others fight you. If you die you lose all your freight.

6. Elite and general versions of each map set. Yes. But don't make it so that you can't access the elite quests until you are already at the max level in the suggested level range. Frozen Nightmares is the greatest map I have played so far.

7. "Make drops easier to get." I would rather see the armor is only from the boss but if you kill him and collect enough "stuff" then you can earn an alternate item that is strong but different.

8. Guilds would be good.

My Addition: The economy needs a way to take items out of circulation other than liquidation. I suggest the ability to destroy items and take their essence to empower other items. Each augment on the other item would make it stronger and there would be NO LIMIT to how much a weapon could be increased BUT there would be an increasingly large chance of failure for each augment. At low levels of augmentation failure just means you have to try again, at medium levels the level of augmentation would be reduced to a lower amount, at high levels the item would be DESTROYED.

Gavry
11-29-2010, 04:38 PM
1. I agree that skills and attributes need an overhaul. I am level 32 and several of my skills will NEVER get better. Skills like stomp and beckon are pretty much useless at low levels but are amazing at max level. I do not think, however, that there should be MORE skills and attributes. Keep it simple. Skills don't need trees, but maybe make it so that you can only invest one point in a skill at first, then you need to gain several more levels to get more points.

2. I disagree with every single point you made here especially group loot with splitting. There are already long dungeons. The short dungeons are all connected together in a row. If you want a long game session, play them all in a row. Splitting loot is not a fun thing. Be happy that you get a drop every time. I hated it that in WoW I could run an instance 20 times and get one piece of loot. If you like that go play another game. If you are making an argument about limiting the influx of items into the economy then I agree that is a problem but it can be dealt with in other, better ways.

3. Enhanced conversations would be great, but please please no all chat. There is already map chat. Friends chat would be nice but people add friends all the time, I would not want to get a message whenever anyone on my friends list said something. What I want to see is voice chat. Cell phone keyboards just aren't so great. I wrote up a suggestion post with my voice chat ideas.

4. Would be neat, but certainly not necessary. They are limiting the amount of models on the screen by not allowing sex choices. I would much rather see the system resources loading models of three new classes than opposite sexes of the same classes we have.

5. I read this and thought it said "make the game world of warcraft." There are many things I would like to see go into the game before repeatable quests. Delivery quests could be interesting though. What if you could fill your whole inventory with grain, one unit of grain fills one inventory slot (incentive to buy more inventory!) then you need to fight through a road full of bandits to deliver it. Some bandits would try to steal and run away while others fight you. If you die you lose all your freight.

6. Elite and general versions of each map set. Yes. But don't make it so that you can't access the elite quests until you are already at the max level in the suggested level range. Frozen Nightmares is the greatest map I have played so far.

7. "Make drops easier to get." I would rather see the armor is only from the boss but if you kill him and collect enough "stuff" then you can earn an alternate item that is strong but different.

8. Guilds would be good.

My Addition: The economy needs a way to take items out of circulation other than liquidation. I suggest the ability to destroy items and take their essence to empower other items. Each augment on the other item would make it stronger and there would be NO LIMIT to how much a weapon could be increased BUT there would be an increasingly large chance of failure for each augment. At low levels of augmentation failure just means you have to try again, at medium levels the level of augmentation would be reduced to a lower amount, at high levels the item would be DESTROYED.

My advice. Level a couple of characters to 50. Kit them out with all the best gear. Play for another month then come back and read your points. My obversations are based on 8 months play and two maxed out characters. Most of what I'm looking for is aimed at end game play.

Sickofwork
11-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Great points, Gav. I really think my only complaint with this game is how everything, with the exception of platinum-bought items, is buyable/sellable. Doing constant dungeon runs, while tiresome at times, is what makes it fun. The fact that people can ding level 50, head to the CS and purchase any of the elite gear (provided they have the funding of course) is just silly. I want to see some rare/ex type items that can only be acquired by physically being present when a boss is killed. Even if they kept all of the trials zones the same, but added drops that were elite and untradeable, that would be awesome.

Pharcyde
11-29-2010, 07:02 PM
I really like the Boss Kill System. I know I know it will kill the prices on all elite gears. BUT I have first hand seen so many people on the virge of quitting the game simply because they cannot get a drop. Me personally I am fine farming all my gear but I am more of a extreme player. The system should be more casual player friendly. But even as a extreme player it gets tiresome. I have farmed bosses relentlessly ever since I hit level 50 (About a month ago). I usually do about 20-50 Alien Oasis Bosses a day and I have only gotten 4 elite items (about 700k total).

(More EXTREMELY rare items and more variety should keep the economy flowing smoothly even with a Boss Kill System.)

Wrap
11-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Great ideas! like it =)

giayuan
11-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Love these ideas!!!
just dont like the ones where you can trade boss equipment and the 2% tpaxx thingy
that idea would make all the "rare" items too easily acquired, it would not be rare anymore -____-
i agree to every idea except number 7, which i strongly disagree to

all the rift i have are each worth less than 50k, and one cosmos =)
and guess what? i want it HARDER to get these pieces, extremely enhances my play time and enjoyment of the game
and when the pieces are looted, it comes with more joy and satisfaction

Gavry
11-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Love these ideas!!!
just dont like the ones where you can trade boss equipment and the 2% tpaxx thingy
that idea would make all the "rare" items too easily acquired, it would not be rare anymore -____-
i agree to every idea except number 7, which i strongly disagree to

all the rift i have are each worth less than 50k, and one cosmos =)
and guess what? i want it HARDER to get these pieces, extremely enhances my play time and enjoyment of the game
and when the pieces are looted, it comes with more joy and satisfaction

Maybe I didn't explain that point well enough.

Here's the maths:

If T'Paxx has a drop rate of 2% for Wraith Armor, that means each time you kill him you have a 1 in 50 chance of the armor dropping for you. Extrapolated, farming him 50 times would mean statistically you should have 1 set or armor drop for you: 1/50 * 50 = 1

The key here however is that if the numbers roll well for you and badly for someone else you could get 2 sets drop for you in the 50 runs and another none. Currently its all down to sheer chance. Probability however states, that if 5 people farm him for 50 runs, and he has a 2% chance of dropping the armor, he should drop 5 sets for that group by the end of the runs. Who actually receives those drops is totally random though.

By swapping to Boss Kill Points (BKP) each player is guaranteed the item after 50 runs. The number of items entering the game will not change at all as the BKP's will be set to exactly the same as the current percentage chance of the items dropping. It just ends up being fairer.

If you want the gear to be rarer just simply drop the percentage chance of the items dropping and consequently the number of BKP's needed will achieve this.

maneut
11-29-2010, 10:43 PM
1. Complete rehash of the skill/attribute system. Skill tress, more attributes, enhanced skills.

2. Different PVE game types. Ability to play a full set of maps through from the first to last with totally different drop and reward mechanics. Guaranteed drops from certain bosses. Increased restrictions on party changes. Group loot with splitting at the end.

3. Enhanced conversations. Addition of channels; friends, all, map.

4. Male and female version of the three current playable races.

5. Complete rehash of the quest system. Quests that give xp. Quests that can be redone (farmed). Quests that require the giving of certain items to receive others. I am in the process of finishing my Quest overhaul document so refer to that to see the whole idea.

6. Elite and general versions of each map set. Elite versions where there are disabled potions, increased enemy strength and increased drop rates.

7. Rehash the drop system. Allow users to select either random drop or Boss Kill Point (BKP) system. With points system enabled, if T'Paxx has a drop rate of 2% for Wraith Armour a player would be guaranteed the Armour after killing him 50 times. Add an NPC like the consignment shop people who you can trade BKP's for boss equipment.

8. Guilds.

I agreed with all of your points as a player who also yawns for more.. except point no.7 (They are all very good ideas, no disrespect meant from my following words :) )

Once upon a time, long ago, I think it was Everquest, me and my friends literally camped almost 24/7 for a few weeks, timing when exactly the mob will pop (it only appear once every 4 hours or something, have to time server reset too, very tedious) and trying our best to get the kill (Kill was based on who dished out more damage) and hopefully the loot.

Point is, yes it's Crazy! but when we do get the desired loot (I remember it was an item that adds 3% to luck or something? We eventually did) There was a sense of achievement and not to mention bragging rights.. Rare items in that game is rarely rare.. hehe not something that everyone will eventually have. Only the most hardcore and CRAZY will actually get to have it. Yes, now I remember killing every placeholder over and over again just to make it pop at a certain hour.. Man I was CRAZY back then.. but it was fun! :)

So if killing Tpaxx 50 times would guarantee me a Wraith then it's no different from a Quest... :) I want something that only the best can have, not something that everyone would eventually have :)

Btw, have a good holiday/break and see you in January! :) Peace