PDA

View Full Version : PL Net Traffic

Locksley
05-05-2010, 05:15 AM
Greetings.

I've noticed a huge increase in the Net Traffic of my device (IPhone 3G) since using Pocket Legends.

Even with a fairy short gameplay session of 40 minutes, my iPhone shows about 40 Mb. of Net Traffic. I'm not sure if it is an unreasonable amount by itself, but for some of us playing over 3G network with limmited data plans and no WiFi hotspots near, this is a huge drawback.

As for me, I have a limit of 200Mb/month, (and no chance of increasing it unfortunately :( ) so it means only about 200 minutes of PL per month, assuming no other online activity, which seems not acceptable for a true MMO experience.

Is there any way of reducing this amount of traffic?

If it is not possible, maybe it can be improved for future PL releases.

Regards

L

Jovians
05-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Maybe it was just me but in U.S when u purchese and iPhone thro AT&T u hav to sign up for an unlimited data plan. I've never seen them offer a smaller one. Then agian I've nvr wanted to change it either.

Locksley
05-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Unfortunately, "Spain is different". Also for this. Truly unlimited data plans do exist, but they are expensive as hell.

Here we have a sort of ****ty 'unlimited' plans: The first 200 Mb (or whatever amount) are treated as 3G traffic. As soon as you reach your monthly quota, the carrier still allows you internet traffic without further charges, but only sends you data at GPRS speeds (64 kbps, orders of magnitude below 3G speeds, and insufficient for almost anything, not to mention Pocket Legends).

:(

L

Aerospacegod
05-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Play on your home wifi and if your out use the forums or work on your equip :)

Futumsh
05-05-2010, 12:24 PM
That's substantially higher usage than you should see from PL gameplay.

If that 40 minutes includes patching, or downloading the app, that's another story.

Aerospacegod
05-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Are you jailbroken? Perhaps you have left some apps on in the background?

Also try turning off push and gps

Splurd
05-05-2010, 01:16 PM
my data plan is 12 gig. whoopie

Used 2 gig up playing iPhone MMOs.

Jovians
05-05-2010, 02:17 PM
U.s and AT&T FTW. I love unlimited data with no strings. :)

Locksley
05-05-2010, 02:18 PM
That's substantially higher usage than you should see from PL gameplay.

If that 40 minutes includes patching, or downloading the app, that's another story.

It may include data patching indeed :/ . Base app was downloaded on a Lan PC and installed using USB cable (and 1.1 update also), but data updates happens mostly when playing on 3G.

Aswering another poster, iPhone is not Jailbroken. Push email is not enabled, neither is GPS. I have a couple of Apps with push notifications enabled, but not worth mentioning.

Unfortunately, I spent few time at home, so most of my gaming goes over 3G.

I've just run another game of 25 minutes or so, no patching nor any other downloads. Using iPhone own Usage counters, 8Mb used.

It is indeed far less alarming than before, but anyway I would appreciate any further inprovement in this matter. My carrier billing happens at day 15th of each month, and I'm already out of quota for this month :(. It only happened me once before, the same month I got the iPhone :) , more than a year ago.

Regards

L