PDA

View Full Version : does weapon damage effect skill damage?

Crazyripper
11-30-2010, 12:28 AM
it seems like when i change to keeper staff my aoe skill damage goes up too.... am i wrong? if its pure int effects then if even i equip level 1 weapon skill damage shouldn't be changed that much but it seems with keeper staff skill seems much powerful

juhnken773
11-30-2010, 12:50 AM
Yu can check unequipting the item, and going to yur skills. See the dmg range on all skills unequipped. And then re equip and check yur skill dmg range again.

If it doesnt go up significantly, then item does not effect. If it goes up slightly, then the 11 int from the keeper staff is the reason for that.

But I'm pretty sure it does affect the dmg of skills

KingFu
11-30-2010, 12:53 AM
Hmm, the damage of the weapon should affect it, but the stats outside of damage might slightly. I don't think it'd be noticeable. I don't think the damage of a weapon would change your skills damage considering a weapon has it's own speed and damage range, while spells have their own cool down and damage range.

Edit:

Here's proof it doesn't.

Here's my damage range of blast shot when I'm wearing mega blaster.

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/therealdavid/d10a6e4a.png

Here's my damage range of blast shot show when I'm wearing laser talon ALONE (wing will give me stats to make my blast shot slightly stronger)
http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/therealdavid/cb3db3dc.png

KingFu
11-30-2010, 12:55 AM
Yu can check unequipting the item, and going to yur skills. See the dmg range on all skills unequipped. And then re equip and check yur skill dmg range again.

If it doesnt go up significantly, then item does not effect. If it goes up slightly, then the 11 int from the keeper staff is the reason for that.

But I'm pretty sure it does affect the dmg of skills

He's referring to the damage alone on the weapon. Not the stats of the weapon outside of the damage. So if my weapons dps is 200 and damage is 50-75 he's wondering if my firestorm will have the same damage as when I am wearing my other weapon that had 50 dps and 200-250 damage.

FluffNStuff
11-30-2010, 12:56 AM
From the testing I have been doing I could right a thesis on this question and this information is incomplete and subject to change. Item damage does affect skill damage. You will not see a higher listed damage in the skills but the damage you do will be higher. As to exactly how much damage different weapons add, well that question is still on the table, but in 'general' higher damage weapons cause higher damage skills. Oh, for Mage with Mage weapon, keeper staff does currently cause the highest damage skills.

juhnken773
11-30-2010, 01:04 AM
From the testing I have been doing I could right a thesis on this question and this information is incomplete and subject to change. Item damage does affect skill damage. You will not see a higher listed damage in the skills but the damage you do will be higher. As to exactly how much damage different weapons add, well that question is still on the table, but in 'general' higher damage weapons cause higher damage skills. Oh, for Mage with Mage weapon, keeper staff does currently cause the highest damage skills.

See, there you have it. It does affect.

gothir
12-01-2010, 12:10 PM
If you are doing a dual str/int build would a gurgox axe add damage to your skills too? Since it has 69 more base damage than a keeper staff I am wondering if it would add more damage to your skills than the staff does.

FluffNStuff
12-01-2010, 12:20 PM
If you are doing a dual str/int build would a gurgox axe add damage to your skills too? Since it has 69 more base damage than a keeper staff I am wondering if it would add more damage to your skills than the staff does.

This is where it gets murky. It should, but it does not. With the keepers, i can get non crit firestorm up to 305, but I can't break 280 with the hammer.

Pharcyde
12-04-2010, 07:52 PM
The stats are the same for the skill regardless of weapon. Stat point bonus's and weapon damage are added after the fact.

Varking
12-04-2010, 08:05 PM
When I get my Droid Mage up to level 50 in a week or two I will run a test in PvP against a non-armored opponent and hit them with an ability 50 times with a low damage weapon, and then again with a higher damage weapon with the same stats and see if the average is even noticeable.

Pharcyde
12-04-2010, 08:12 PM
When I get my Droid Mage up to level 50 in a week or two I will run a test in PvP against a non-armored opponent and hit them with an ability 50 times with a low damage weapon, and then again with a higher damage weapon with the same stats and see if the average is even noticeable.

Its noticeable. I know this just from the amount of spells it usually takes to clear a set of mobs when farming plasma (which I do a lot). With a keeper staff all I have to do is cast the spell set once in order to kill off the mob but with wand and eye i have to cast the spell set 2 times and maybe 3 or so lightnings (since its the fastest cool down for AoE spells)

Zeus
12-04-2010, 08:17 PM
ok to clear everybody's confusion, this is how it works. The reason your skill damage goes up is because of the stat based skilled conversion, The void wing you wear gives you an extra 11 dex compared to the talon or mega blaster, which is the explanation of why your skill damage goes up, although it should be a miniscule amount. Keeper's staff also works the same way if you are using an enchantress, because its 11 int will boost skill damage slightly, you have to look at the stat boost on the weapons to figure it out :). Once again, this is all due to the stat based skill conversion which happened quite a while back, and I can't remember the exact date as of this moment. Hope I answered the question.

Pharcyde
12-04-2010, 08:20 PM
sorry but no it does not range. With keeper staff and megablaster you do more damage and you have less int/dex because your missing the sheild. I just have decided that a certain amount of the skill of the weapon gets transferred into your spells. Thats the only way to explain why I can crush a mob with 1 spellset with keepers but I need to do 2 spellsets to crush a mob with wand/eye.