PDA

View Full Version : Differences in Weapons

Lubinski
12-02-2010, 03:54 PM
To achieve the most damage possible would I only have to look at the DPS (damage per second) statistic? To me this makes the Damage: field irrelevant because it seems to boil down to DPS.

Am I mistaken?

FluffNStuff
12-02-2010, 04:02 PM
To achieve the most damage possible would I only have to look at the DPS (damage per second) statistic? To me this makes the Damage: field irrelevant because it seems to boil down to DPS.

Am I mistaken?

You do want to consider damage also, because the mobs have armor. Could explain more, but kinda lazy at the moment, and I am sure Royce or someone else will jump in with an essay.

addiekai
12-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Nope.

There is a different between Min/Max damage and DPS.

DPS = Damage per second.

When dealing with DPS, you have to take note of the defense of the Monster or Player you are up against.

Example, we are locked in PvP, 1v1. I have 80 armor, and you have 1 DPS of 79. So basically, I'll be laughing at your ticklish attack, because you have a damage rating of -1.

But for Min/Max damage, same example. I have 80 armor, and you deal a Min/Max damage of 90. I'll be hurting then, since each attack deals me 10 damage.

So faster doesn't always mean better :)

Arterra
12-02-2010, 04:40 PM
wrong way round. dps does not take in armor, so go for high damage items for higher level mobs. or armor debuff items.

addiekai
12-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Oops. LoL.

I'm working while writing all that crap. Just a mix up :p

Lubinski
12-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Not sure im following the differences here. This is how it currently sounds

DPS + (Damage - Enemies Armor) = resulting damage output to enemy?

Gaabob
12-02-2010, 08:14 PM
No it is:

Speed * (damage minus enemy armor) = dps against enemy

Dps on stats is:

Speed * (damage)

Lubinski
12-02-2010, 08:17 PM
the previous post makes sense but brings me back to the initial question. All dps is a mathematical calculation of speed and damage per swing. so even though I do huge amounts of damage but slower it still equals the same dps. In terms of raw damage output, the higher the dps the better it would seem.

I also understand that the higher the damage output the greater the effect on higher armored opponents... But does that equal more damage in the end game if you overcome their armor by a higher number/

Arterra
12-02-2010, 09:32 PM
i have seen talons and similar weapons do exactly 1 of damage to enemies. no matter how fast it goes, i would think you would switch to an item that actually deals damage.

Lubinski
12-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Interesting topic if someone can formulate the answer better, I'm still a bit confused. I'm a numbers guy, and to me the damage only has an impact on the dps equation... ugh.

Varking
12-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Interesting topic if someone can formulate the answer better, I'm still a bit confused. I'm a numbers guy, and to me the damage only has an impact on the dps equation... ugh.

The DPS stat in the character sheet does not calculate the defense of the enemy you are fighting. If all things are equal, and you are fighting a mob with 0 armor, you would do more DPS with a high DPS, low total damage weapon. When fighting enemies of higher level, who have high armor values, you want the weapons that do the most damage, because a slow weapon with high damage will hit harder against a high armored opponent than a high dps, low damage weapon. After all the armor values are taken into account, a fast dagger with high dps could hit over and over against for just 1 damage.

Again, the DPS stat on the weapons does not take into account how much armor an enemy has. Go for the higher damage weapons.

Royce
12-05-2010, 11:26 AM
DPS is very misleading, and damage is an important stat. For a simplified example, consider this. Weapon A does 50 damage 2 times per second. Weapon B does 90 damage 1 time per second. DPS of A is 100, DPS of B is 90. Your target has 30 armor. You hit him with weapon A, it does 20 damage twice in a second. You hit him with weapon B, it does 60 damage once. Effective DPS of A is 40, effective DPS of B is 60. Also note that weapon damage affects skill damage, so your skills also hit harder when you have a higher damage (not DPS) weapon.