PDA

View Full Version : Question about the gold in the game.

Fauksuras
02-21-2014, 02:37 AM
Hi

Today I had a question I'm hoping somebody can answer to me or at least give me a better idea. I'm relatively new to MMORPGs although I played MUDs in the old days and have played plenty of RPGs.

The way other games have worked in the past for me is you make some of your money or most from selling items in game (a la sell option we have) or farming.

In Arcane Legends we farm for items because the gold drops are very...negligible and liquidating items doesn't exactly turn you into Scrooge McDuck.

Locked crates either give you items or different quantities of gold. The max being 300k (I think) assuming you get 3 rolls for 100k each.

I see people selling (and more surprising buying) items for ridiculous quantities of gold such as arcane pets,weapons and recently the Jester Vanities.

So here is my question, where is that gold coming from? Only feasible answer I can find is plat to gold conversion but at 1 plat = 1000 gold I can't imagine a lot of people doing this, so seriously where is it coming from? Or is it simply sheer quantity of people playing that are turning these low gold drops/liquidated gold/crate gold prize into the dozens of millions we see traded?

I mean, thinking back into the beginnings of a game, say player A farms map X and player B farms map Y. Let's say both get an item and both want the item the other found, how does gold enter the equation? I can see them trading the items but not much gold being traded.

Is it simply the sheer number of people playing getting those small amounts turning into large sums? Is it plat to gold conversion? Just how much gold is there currently in Arcane Legends?

Thanks

j3peaz
02-21-2014, 06:09 AM
In the beggining a lot of people did plat to gold. I'm sure it continues but not as much. Then came along the gold APS and I'm sure many players did plat to gold for the aps. I would have to say that is where the bulk of the gold came from. I don't see any other explanation for the large quantity of gold that items go for. It is just inflation.

Hectororius
02-21-2014, 08:48 AM
As you progress, the quests give more gold and items that you loot become more valuable to sell. the most expensive farmed items drop from the elite maps in the game, which you'll only be able to enter once you hit lvl 35 (currently). These maps are probably 5-10x more difficult hence making the loot worth getting.

Otherwise, you'll soon discover the world of merchanting. Some do it well.

Ebezaanec
02-21-2014, 09:31 AM
As you progress, the quests give more gold and items that you loot become more valuable to sell. the most expensive farmed items drop from the elite maps in the game, which you'll only be able to enter once you hit lvl 35 (currently). These maps are probably 5-10x more difficult hence making the loot worth getting.

Otherwise, you'll soon discover the world of merchanting. Some do it well.

Yes, loot becomes valuable.. But loot is only valuable if there is a person who has the money to buy it. Where does the money come from? If the loot is too expensive for people, the price will drop until people are willing to purchase it

When you sell loot, you expect payment. Where does the buyer get the payment? Not many people plat-to gold convert.