PDA

View Full Version : PL Guild Management System

Zandog
12-03-2010, 11:04 PM
You love this game, I know you do. You love playing with reliable, consistent, smart and friendly players. You want to build a group of friends with these types of characteristics and for a hand held game of this ability with no in game guild management system, it makes it hard to keep that going strong. Unless your a lvl 50, usually with a few characters, its down right impossible. But there is hope and these features may not be accurate but are promising.

Understanding and implementing how a guild is ran successfully is a full time job in any major MMORPG. Knowing player skill levels, personalities and priorities means that most great guild leaders rarely have as much play time, as they do guild management time. With a game like Pocket Legends, it may not take as much required management but it certainly takes a lot of skill. A system like this keeps track of vital member and character stats, game activity and healthy administration features. This is what is required to keep groups organized and committed in a handheld environment. Players are going to come and go more frequently as player numbers for PL grow and filtering in the information is vital to market strength, clan chemistry, guild class balancing and character proficiency. Lets take a look at some very basic ideas of how this could work.

Like all the guild administration features in Pocket Legends, what you see is what you get. All guild profile panels are editable on the fly. A guild admin can just bring up the profile page they want edit and hit Edit. We’ll explain how these work as we go along.

http://zandog.com/images/pl_profile.jpg

The Profile page allows for basic information about the guild Guild leader, member count and their general purpose, as well as a message about themselves allows players to get an idea of how the guild is ran and what direction their headed as a team. Players who have been apart of the guild and left can give a rating, good or bad about the guild.

http://zandog.com/images/pl_news.jpg

A good way for not only members, but others to gauge a guilds activity is to view the teams news and happenings. If admins can convey news and information to it’s members about events, promotions and vital operations, it makes for a more coherent roster and chemistry.

http://zandog.com/images/pl_members.jpg

Probably the most vital part of running any guild is it’s roster. Admins need the ability to accept and decline new member enlistments, invite players to the guild and kick, promote or demote current members. Even though this screenshot doesn’t display those abilities, this current roster list can be administrated on the fly. For non-admins, you can just click on the players name to view their personal profile. Once a member is accepted into a guild, they have the options to display that guilds tags in front of their name via the profile options screen. All player join requests are handled through this area as well. Enlistees will be only be seen by admins on the roster indicated by a “Recruit” title. Admins can choose to either accept or decline join request and then place them accordingly.

http://zandog.com/images/pl_enlist.jpg

Joining the guild is as simple as reading over the message, objectives and requirements. Players also have the option to “bookmark” a guild profile so they don’t lose contact with a prospective team.

These are just a few of the Guild Management System ideas that could be taken advantage of and I hope whatever system falls into place, it’s comprehensive enough to keep members coming back to play this awesome game in an organized way. Please give constructive and intellectual feedback. I'd love to hear your ideas and what you think.

Thanks to Notalady for getting me into this game.

Uctiger62
12-04-2010, 05:10 AM
That's good stuff. I like the layout you've proposed. In my mind, the biggest obstacle would be the guild chat. Being in a guild without a dedicated guild chat is pointless, imo. You lose out on your biggest resource for help/items/pvp/pve/bull****ting...your guild. What do you think would be the best way to go about implementing a chat? It'd be pretty crazy to have it run in the same window as world chat, but if you make it to where you can join/leave, then people might not ever join and then you're stuck with an essentially dead guild chat. I think the most logical is to have another, expandable chat box that pops out from the bottom/side...same as the top. Hmm...

Anyways, thanks for this post. When PL eventually add guild content, I hope they follow something along the lines of what you have in your images.

icantgetkills
12-04-2010, 06:11 AM
WOW very very very good love how its set out! But agree with the chat thing

MoarPewPew
12-04-2010, 06:39 AM
So, when are you gonna apply for a job at Space time studios?

I have to say that the guild management pictures have with my mouth wide open. It is amazing what you designed.

Partyy
12-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Very very nice. I dont personally see any prob with the guild chat.
I bet the guy who has been designin the guild managment thing in STS is pissed now :D

LoonnooL
12-04-2010, 08:54 AM
its easy to design user interface, the hard part is coding the functions and making it work. =(

doubt STS consider revamp-ing the current guild system now

Jespo
12-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Looks realy good to me :D im liking how this looks right now

Cascade
12-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Devs should use this...Excellent work! Also...I'm from Seattle, Washington as well!

Wyvern
12-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Decent idea! *Kudos*

Lesrider
12-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Wow, nice. I thought for a second there I missed some PL beta test with guilds!

Necrobane
12-04-2010, 09:45 PM
I think G chat should be done the same way it is in WoW. You simply type /g before typing your message, and it shows a different colour in the chat screen, similar to pming. I like the set up but I wonder how you propose to allow other players to view your guild profile? Perhaps by tapping on your player or player portrait in game? And also, do you think having the guild name under or above the player name is a good idea? Oh and one last thing, I think there should be a way to make events, then send them to selected guildies via a check box. These eents would have description followed by a yes/no tick box. What do you reckon?

Varking
12-04-2010, 10:07 PM
I love what you have done here, but all I want TO START for guilds would be your guild name above your head, and working guild chat.

Necrobane
12-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Same. Oh...and Ranks....needs ranks. Maybe 3 of them to start off: Member, Officer and Guild Master.

Dran
12-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Looks nice!

KillaKeeps
12-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Presentation is amazing, very nice job! That's incredible that you put that together. Even more of a reason I see it should be implemented, not to mention that it would make things alot easier for getting a group together of solid reliable people. Very nice stuff.

HelpBot
12-05-2010, 01:27 AM
Good idea I love you guys!
http://www.lolgifs.com/pictures/a95393f82566cbd.gif (http://www.lolgifs.com/image-966)

Zandog
12-05-2010, 01:34 PM
That's good stuff. I like the layout you've proposed. In my mind, the biggest obstacle would be the guild chat. I think the most logical is to have another, expandable chat box that pops out from the bottom/side...same as the top.

Placing guild chat in the main chat window might be a busy place to put it, but for now I think it's better than not having it at all.

So, when are you gonna apply for a job at Space time studios? I have to say that the guild management pictures have with my mouth wide open. It is amazing what you designed.
Thank you my friend! Who knows. They have a pretty good UI concept designer right now, but I would love to help them out.

Very very nice. I dont personally see any prob with the guild chat. I bet the guy who has been designing the guild management thing in STS is pissed now :D
Hopefully not pissed as much as motivated to create an interface that will work, thanks again.

Devs should use this...Excellent work! Also...I'm from Seattle, Washington as well!
Thank you sir. Seattle is a decent place to live!

I think G chat should be done the same way it is in WoW. You simply type /g before typing your message, and it shows a different colour in the chat screen, similar to PMing. I like the set up but I wonder how you propose to allow other players to view your guild profile? Perhaps by tapping on your player or player portrait in game? And also, do you think having the guild name under or above the player name is a good idea? Oh and one last thing, I think there should be a way to make events, then send them to selected guildies via a check box. These events would have description followed by a yes/no tick box. What do you reckon?
Agree with the guild chat and I'm sure that's the way its going to end up being, at least at first. Guild tags would infact be placed with the name, over the players head if they choose to wear them. Making actual events is a different story. That would require an actual planner of sorts and it's not something the news section can't be used for at the moment. Good idea though.

I love what you have done here, but all I want TO START for guilds would be your guild name above your head, and working guild chat.
Done and done.

Presentation is amazing, very nice job! That's incredible that you put that together. Even more of a reason I see it should be implemented, not to mention that it would make things alot easier for getting a group together of solid reliable people. Very nice stuff.
Much appreciated for the comments. This is just a quick rough draft of ideas that could be implemented and hopefully this is something they can work on. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll ask me if I'd like to consult. ;)

Arterra
12-05-2010, 01:54 PM
if the issue is the chatbox getting really full, in options have all the different chat options: show normal, items, pm, guild

ciss
12-05-2010, 01:56 PM
brilliant!!!! Im looking forward to seeing the guild thing implemented... it s a must have!

Paralyzer
12-05-2010, 03:49 PM
I would enjoy guild chat though since that is a part of being in a guild is talking but very nice layout

Thelonearcher
12-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Great idea but you've missed a guild house/hall like a guild hang outZ.

Vyvin
12-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Chat can be implemented using / syntax
E.g /g hello!
/Vyvin

Estraz
12-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Very well written... Good Luck.