PDA

View Full Version : What is so wrong with Scorch I wonder

Sceazikua
02-28-2014, 08:40 AM
So, recently a new mythic pet has been available, and I keep hearing stuff like "I have scorch and his shield is down when a mob hits me. Btw my Scorch is lvl 10" or "scorch shield doesnt make me invicible, hes so useless". Really? It is stated clearly on the shield that its' absorb is SCALED TO LEVEL. And, Remiem confirmed that lvl 36 only absorbs 1550 damage. Why are people expecting lvl 10 scorch to absorb 5000 damage? And, it is never confirmed that the shield absorbs 100% damage and make you invicible while shield is up. If yes, please link to me. If no, please do not rage. K thanks.

And, people who are doing elites obviously know how much damage mobs do. Even in elite Brackenridge maps, my 3k5 smurf still has to use potions (1 or 2 each pack) if I solo, and potions heals 1/3 hp you know. We all know how much damage mobs in Elite Shuyal deal, so dont expect it to absorb so much. Even my arcane shield cant absorb all those damage and cant lasts more than 2 seconds if I get hit constantly when the 2 sec invulnerable is gone. How many potions you use in Elite? How much each heals? 1550 =/= 15500 isnt it?

In PvP it may be a different story. Skills might not reach 1k damage except aimed shot or crit lightning. So, it adds 1550 hp and 45% damage reduction (I think) to your hp, and may buy you 2 skills.

GoodSyntax
02-28-2014, 09:55 AM
Initially, I was very disappointed that the shielding had no invulnerability period. I had hoped that we would get 2 seconds just like HoR and Shield, but that is simply not the case.

At this point, I use Scorch for the speed boost and the Crit. The rest of the stats are underwhelming - 8 Mana Regen doesn't help me even a little bit, 160 Mana is OK, but would rather have +16 INT. I certainly don't use him for the Passive ability, because the damage isn't that impressive, and hit & debuff procs don't make any difference in PvE.

Basically, I have come to learn that I can use Scorch's Arcane Ability as a half second buffer when my party is getting hammered, so they have a chance to pot, or a tank can heal. The shielding is of limited value and, at best, provides just a fraction of a second of respite.

This silly dragon has lead to a few deaths for me early on, when I had expected a couple of seconds of invulnerability. Being one-hit by an enraged Frostir when I thought I should have been shielded let to several plat revivies before I learned that shielding isn't shielding. I purchased this pet on the screen shot that was posted, which stated "Grants all allies in range a shield which protects against incoming damage." Protection against incoming damage implies invulnerability.

I am probably not as disgusted as other are with this pet, but I would certainly like to see the mana regen replaced by a Secondary Stat boost, a 2 second invulnerability on his Arcane Ability, and an armor debuff proc on his Passive Ability instead of hit and movement debuffs. Some would argue that the AA could be twisted in a party, but I have already learned that there is a party shield immunity with this. Unfortunately, this kind of restricts the party to a single Scorch.

It's very unfortunate that this was the first Mythic pet I have purchased and more often than not, my preference is to run with a different pet in my stable.

Sorcerie
02-28-2014, 10:22 AM
Yes, it's been noted repeatedly by many that the 8 mana regen is utterly useless and the 160 mana just isn't worth it - it doesn't even cover the mana needed for a Sorc to use a single charged Fireball or Time Shift, the bread and butter of any mage set. Now don't get me wrong, I think the speed, crit, and AA is fantastic, but the last two happiness bonuses are complete throwaways no matter how you look at it across the classes.

Warriors and Rouges could argue that they're somewhat valuable, but again the extra 160 mana is barely an extra skill and the 8 mana regen is only for real benefit to the smallest of mana pools and requires idle time to truly appreciate it. Honestly, if they got rid of those two things in place of an extra +5 on primary and bonus on another stat or something else more useful people would be itching to buy this pet, but as of right now it's just falling short of expectations.

Please Sts team fix those last two bonuses! They're terribad.

baddiva
02-28-2014, 10:34 AM
It's argueably nothing wrong if you focuses on scorch... The question is "is it really appropriate to give the 'mythic' title? Specifically when you're compare it with another pet"

Well, for me it seems developers only sells his 'dragon look' which was pretty much the most viable option for someone who wants cheap 'singe'... If there is another dragon launched as a legendary pet, IMO scorch would be trash. Except they specifically designed scorch for PVP use only...

Sceazikua
02-28-2014, 10:38 AM
Im sorry for your mythic purchased pet not to be very good for PvE. As I said, the damage dished out in PvE and PvP are different, so 1550 damage may buy you 2 or 3 skills in PvP but may not 2 seconds in PvE. And in PvE we could use mana potions so the mana and mana regen isnt very good, but it does help PvP! Glacian still has mana and mana regen for a year now and its unchanged, and people still use it not for the mana; even Samael has +mana. Its more of a PvP pet than PvE. 2s invulnerability maybe a good sollution to satisfy the PvE users of this pet, but on PvP it would be more OP, its so hard to balance ...

Only thing that needs changing is the passive ability which is very bad.

Kakashis
02-28-2014, 04:24 PM
He's officially my fast running pet along with haze. One of the worst mythic pets but he does look nice.
Devs stated in the chat box that he 100% absorbs up to 1550, but we can all see that he doesn't. Someone probably used the mythic dagger shield coding when really it should have been HOR warrior coding until 1550 was reached.

Hectororius
02-28-2014, 10:00 PM
If scorch had been a 90 plat pet like haze or Clyde, I think people would love him more and be OK with his abilities as they are. But at 250 plat he definitely leaves a lot to be desired. Lots of us bought him in hopes that's the shield would be something resembling the mages or warriors with some similar stats to a lesser singe. But its not what we got.

I like the direction of scorch but he still needed some refinement. He's a great pet but only for specific toons and situations. At mythic level the pets should ideally work for all toons and levels.

Still have hope for this little whelp!

VanRah
03-01-2014, 04:56 AM
Except all that has been already stated about Scorch's stats I think also his animations need to be improved.
I know the most of the players cares only about pet's stats but nevertheless I'll give my opinion about his animations too, don't think it's a folishness please :P

The roar could be the common animation he does instead of scratching his head (as it's impossible for his physique permorming the scratching of his head, furthermore didn't u see the claws on his feet? lol) (Ixyris's suggestion as I suggested he could rub his nose against a tree, or maybe even drag his nose across the ground...)

[u can listen to some roar sounds here: http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Tyrannosaurus_Rex_sound]

Trick: the one he already does, that is jumping from left to rt or the animation he now does as play (if u have better ideas regarding his trick animation feel free to share them)

Play: he takes a leap and try to fly then badly falls on the ground and stands up again like nothing happened (EliteFamily's suggestion)