PDA

View Full Version : Skipped Algerbra 1?

Vigilante
03-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Had anyone Skipped algebra before if you did is it really complicated? Because i heard you had to do a exam for it in order to pass it.

Schnitzel
03-01-2014, 02:59 PM
eh..i didn't pass the exam to get into the class, but i still got in the class, then passed alg 1 with a 87.

If you are thinking about skipping alg1, i recommend you don't, because the stuff you learn in alg 1, will come back in geometry, alg2, pre-calculus, and other higher level maths

Killerheels
03-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Ruizhe is right, if you're taking higher maths, DONT skip algebra. I find it the most useful of all my math classes, especially in real life.

Sent from under the sheets.

XghostzX
03-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Ruizhe is right, if you're taking higher maths, DONT skip algebra. I find it the most useful of all my math classes, especially in real life.

I'm only a Sophomore in high school taking honors al2/trig, but what real purpose would you use algebra in your everyday life?

Laar
03-01-2014, 05:12 PM

I'm only a Sophomore in high school taking honors al2/trig, but what real purpose would you use algebra in your everyday life?
To find the real world's unknowns.

Bilaxman
03-01-2014, 05:21 PM
but what real purpose would you use algebra in your everyday life?

There are many examples of how one could use algebra in their daily life. Say you're at the store and something originally costs 24.95 but it is marked off 15%. What is the sale price?

programmed
03-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Well in my school you can't graduate without passing Algebra 2 which means you need pre-algebra and algebra 1 first. To me it is hard, I was supposed to pass Algebra 1 as a sophomore and instead I'm re-taking it as a junior now. I don't know about the exam to pass though. I never had an exam that you couldn't pass without, the passing just depended on how well you could do the math in the overall work for the year. It is something useful to know though. Some of the things in algebra can help with things in real life.

Schnitzel
03-01-2014, 08:20 PM

There are many examples of how one could use algebra in their daily life. Say you're at the store and something originally costs 24.95 but it is marked off 15%. What is the sale price?

^like Bilaxman said, you could use it to find the sale price, and no if a store is overcharging you or if you are getting a good deal.

In my "everyday life", Math at an alg2 is required if i want to program in Java for school assignments

Fyrce
03-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Algebra is useful in online games. For example, all those Story Tokens can be used to trade-in for various items. Which items gives you the greatest return on a sale?

Same question using the Hauntlet Coins.

How about purchasing an item using plat versus gold?

How about return on your real life money? or margin of return on your investment? Or cost of money versus time? Or how much of X can you eat before you break your diet or overeat or it becomes unhealthy? Or if you lose 5 calories jogging 10 minutes, how long to lose XX? how much time will that take?

If you get a $250 parking ticket and saved $0.25 in parking meter fees, was it worth the savings?

When you get to the checkout line at the grocery store, can you get within $1 of the final bill by estimating, before you get into the line?

Algebra is very useful. It is very important to understand it well.

As for taking an exam to skip a class, the exam is usually meant for you to show proficiency in the subject matter so you can advance to the next level. If you are retaking the class, you would probably fail the exam. Take the class and study it.

PL•ayer
03-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Just do the algebra it's good for college lol

If you did it outside of school in kumon or something, you could skip it if you want to take other courses later in school.

The most commonly skipped math course (at least in my school) is geometry.

Laar
03-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Just do the algebra it's good for college lol

If you did it outside of school in kumon or something, you could skip it if you want to take other courses later in school.

The most commonly skipped math course (at least in my school) is geometry.
Geometry is actually really useful. All around you there are proportional shapes everywhere

Vigilante
03-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Yea I've been learning algebra at home but im wondering if the exam is hard? is it paper or machine?

NotYoCookiez
03-01-2014, 10:16 PM
Algebra is everywhere lol especially in real life like described above. It's the basic necessity for the real world along with other stuff

Schnitzel
03-01-2014, 10:38 PM
Yea I've been learning algebra at home but im wondering if the exam is hard? is it paper or machine?

If you took an online course, then the exam is online.
if you learned from school, then its probably paper

gison
03-01-2014, 10:56 PM
Honestly, I don't think geometry is all that useful. Algebra on the other hand is.

XghostzX
03-01-2014, 11:00 PM

I probably (must be) using more algebra in my everyday life than I realize. I enjoyed Geometry a lot more than Algebra, I don't know why. I liked the visuals and the shapes, and applying problems to a 2/3 dimensional figure came relatively easy to me.

PL•ayer
03-01-2014, 11:09 PM
Geometry is actually really useful. All around you there are proportional shapes everywhere

All math is useful and I wouldn't recommend skipping it if that meant you wouldn't understand the material. Geometry is most commonly skipped (versus say, algebra) not because of it's usefulness, but it's difficulty. Many find it easy and have done it outside of school, at least where I live.

EDIT:
I probably (must be) using more algebra in my everyday life than I realize. I enjoyed Geometry a lot more than Algebra, I don't know why. I liked the visuals and the shapes, and applying problems to a 2/3 dimensional figure came relatively easy to me.
See ghost agrees it's easy lol

Bilaxman
03-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Honestly, I don't think geometry is all that useful.

Here's an example. :) You place a 13ft ladder 5ft away from a wall. (Just for the purpose of this problem, say the top of the ladder reaches the top of the wall.) What is the height of the wall?

http://www.basic-mathematics.com/images/pythagoreanladder1.gif

Caiahar
03-02-2014, 01:59 PM
I never found geometry that hard :/

Vigilante
03-02-2014, 04:01 PM
So im learning algebra this summer and when its the school year could i take the exam at my school , but would it be on a piece of paper?

Vigilante
03-02-2014, 04:03 PM
Here's an example. :) You place a 13ft ladder 5ft away from a wall. (Just for the purpose of this problem, say the top of the ladder reaches the top of the wall.) What is the height of the wall?

Using the pythagorean therom which would be.......
Square root of 194=14 feet.

Schnitzel
03-02-2014, 08:46 PM
So im learning algebra this summer and when its the school year could i take the exam at my school , but would it be on a piece of paper?
Thats up to the school to decide

Rolocolo
03-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Lel algebra 2 is easier then geometry

Vigilante
03-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Thats up to the school to decide
Thanks.

XghostzX
03-03-2014, 07:18 PM

Not that I disagree, but that is literally the most generic geometric problem. :D

Besides, I don't think someone would place a ladder flat up against the wall and not realize that it'll fall.

Bilaxman
03-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Using the pythagorean therom which would be.......
Square root of 194=14 feet.

It would actually be 12ft since the ladder is the hypotenuse of the triangle (or "c" in the Pythagorean theorem).

In terms of the equation, it would be: (5^2) + (b^2) = (13^2)
25 + (b^2) = 169
(b^2) = 169 - 25
b^2 = 144
b = 12 or -12.

Since it is a measurement, the negative answer would not be correct, making 12ft the final answer. :)

XghostzX
03-03-2014, 07:29 PM
It would actually be 12ft since the ladder is the hypotenuse of the triangle (or "c" in the Pythagorean theorem).

25 + (b^2) = 169
(b^2) = 169 - 25
b^2 = 144
b = 12 or -12.

Since it is a measurement, the negative answer would not be correct, making 12ft the final answer. :)

5, 12, and 13 (insert measurement unit) is a triangle pattern as well! :)

gison
03-03-2014, 11:58 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I would never place a ladder on a wall, and if I did, I would just correctly place it until it's safe and I know that I can reach the top.

Vigilante
03-04-2014, 07:06 PM

25 + (b^2) = 169
(b^2) = 169 - 25
b^2 = 144
b = 12 or -12.

Darn it, forgot the hypotenuse._.

Crys
03-10-2014, 10:49 PM
I took Algebra 1 in 7th grade. Had a test in the 6th grade to skip pre algebra.

Crys
03-10-2014, 10:50 PM
And i took Algebra2/Trig in 9th grade

Zylx
03-11-2014, 01:55 AM
I was too lazy in my days in school. I took algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2, and Trig/Stats in high school. In middle school, i never really turned any assignments in so i went to pre-alg in the 8th grade. My teacher told me that i shouldve been in her Algebra 1 class. Math comes really easy for me. I've maintained a steady A in math throughout high school. My worst class was actually Literature, because i hated reading. I carried a B in that class.

floats
03-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Understanding the basics of algebra is a must! Algebra is a foundation to other lessons such as geometry, gradien, and more.

I mastered the basics at the 9 grade which is pretty much late.

If you don't understand them, you would have a hard time understanding other math lessons.

Vigilante
03-11-2014, 03:54 PM
I took Algebra 1 in 7th grade. Had a test in the 6th grade to skip pre algebra.

I wish I took algebra in 7th... but in our city we take it differently..