PDA

View Full Version : Honesty

Shlump
03-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Hello,

I have heard quite a few times, players getting the ''luck'' to buy expensive items (mythic and/or arcane) from low level players, or even new players.

Example: ''OMG! A newbie looted an arcane egg, he was in Windmoore asking for the price of it, I bought it for 500k instead of 8 million! Now that's being a merchant!''.

I'm sorry, but i've seen people ''stalking'' new players opening Locked Crates in Windmoore, trying to get their expensive looted items extremely cheap. Do you know what i'm trying to say?

Anyways, my suggestion is, that STS creates an automated message that pops up EVERY TIME an arcane or mythic item is looted from a Crate.

Like, ''Lucky you! You've just looted an arcane egg! Make sure to check the auction house to know the real price of your looted item before selling it to anyone or opening it (if it's an egg)!''

Something that could warn new players about the actual price of their looted item. Just an honest thought.

allplay
03-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Great idea, this game is full of predators. Whether its a scammer or a mercher.

Zylx
03-01-2014, 04:15 PM
This happened to me a while ago. Someone looted an arcane Glacian egg, and asked me how much its worth. Due to my morality and code of ethics, i congratulated them and told them that glacian is worth millions. I just cant bear a guilty conscience, so i told them the truth instead of scamming them :). I'd be devastated if i knew that i've been skimmed of my gold.

Killerheels
03-01-2014, 04:43 PM
I think more people are thinking of how to make a quick buck, not caring if the person selling is actually more in need than they are. If a lowbie is selling locked crates below 10k, I give at least 10 or 11k. That's already worth their potions. For a merch or crate popper, those are just pennies.

Sent from under the sheets.

Hiosahaf
03-01-2014, 04:50 PM
I really support this. Don't get me wrong, but if someone whose intentions are not good sees this, more new players will be in trouble. Do consider in taking it down. (Not against your idea though)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Vixenne
03-02-2014, 01:05 AM
My low level smurf was wearing a Lepre and there was a time someone msged me he wanted to buy my Lepre, and I laughed at him SO MUCH at his price. He was buying it from me for 18k. Sucks for him he thought I was a new player lol.

Nagin
03-02-2014, 01:10 AM
Ive seen people buy maul and samael for like 3m, its very sad but happens in every mmo... But it usually happens with arcane weapons... 90% noobs who get arcane egg open it...
#Lowballsucks

Shlump
03-02-2014, 08:29 AM
I honestly hope STS takes a look at this and thinks about it. It's just to improve new player's experience, and let them get what they're supposed to get!

seanymph
03-02-2014, 09:13 AM
lets start with you being honest shlump

you are mysticaleagle who got banned for being one of the biggest scammers on game

you borrowed mythic bow ring from a guildie and scammed recently then deleted character again

seanymph
03-02-2014, 09:13 AM

you are mysticaleagle who got banned for being one of the biggest scammers on game

you borrowed mythic bow ring from a guildie and scammed recently then deleted character again

MoloToha
03-02-2014, 09:56 AM
What a good idea! It would help new players to know what they loot. I think, there should be in-game manual for new players which explains all they need to know including thing, discussed above.

Serancha
03-02-2014, 10:12 PM
There's also scammers who play off this. They ask you how much a mythic item is worth, by showing it to you in the trade window. When you tell them, they say they just want some armour or other for it, and don't care the value, they just want to trade. Usually the item they "want to trade it for" is one their alt has listed at a highly over-inflated price. I know a lot of people who have gone and bought that item to "trade" for a mythic, only to find the noob was really an underhanded merch just conning them to make a sale.

Lesson of the day: if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Being greedy will just get you burned.

Oedid
03-03-2014, 12:36 AM
I like the idea..

The root problem lies with over inflated prices on items because they cant be farmed. This forces people into doing one of three things. 1) getting access to a CC , which is unfortunately not possible for many underage players, or people in countries with income limits. 2) farming heavily with the hopes of staying at a safe middle class (relatively) which absorbs immense amount of time and dedication (which unfortunately not everyone can do - luck not included -. 3) resorting to shady tactics to get ahead, whether that be "merching" or scamming (which to some extent can be the same thing) .

I say resolve over inflation by making it possible to farm all items, and still allow the option to purchase as well. Yes it will mess with the economy for a "mercher" but I contest that anyone who doesn't agree is likely a merchant who really only benefits at a more desperate players expense. If this were to happen, well, relatively speaking, everything will drop in price. A merchant can still benefit from the economy as everything will balance out due to a higher overall supply. Trust me when I say, in a game like this, demand will always exist. Lowering the economy will give the vast majority of those non-CC, non-merching players a fighting chance at playing the game to its fullest. A chance I feel is a right everyone should have. (And STS - tsk tsk on making the midas touch Title and AP. This only encourages hoarding, greed and is an enabler to desperate people who cant afford the game on your terms into taking shady methods to get it. I reckon it would be more constructive and less volatile to player relations by encouraging players to get more PvE kills AP, with a realistic possibility of farming whatever they want. At least this way people will be more motivated to actually farm and play your game. Instead I get the luxury of watching hundreds of people spending time in towns desperately looking for a break whilst among a cesspool of greedy merchers trying to turn a buck. Someones priorities are a bit twisted methinks)

This is just my view. I likely wont reply to anyone should u try to debate me. I've seen how low people go because they know they can never get the best stuff due to life limitations. Desperate people take desperate measures. Am I defending scamming? No. But I understand that if items were more reasonably attainable, and less costly that people would feel less desperation to stoop so low. In the end, what I'm trying to say is this is just a band-aid fix to a much larger problem...

Milan Lame Man
03-03-2014, 01:13 AM
Well Oedid, you can't really complain about prices in a free economy.
Anyway, it might help if there was a newbie quest to sell some white item in the CS. It took me several days to even discover the very existence of a CS terminal. I made it to Kraag before that.

Fyrce
03-03-2014, 02:00 AM
I play a few low levels with vanities and interesting items. I use other people's lowball offers to pad my ignore list… after I call them scammers.

Honest merchants CAN purchase items for a discount and still be honest. You can tell someone how much an item is worth - its real price or its price range. In AL, I would probably also tell them that it's not hard to get to the Outpost auction house, where they can sell the item. Or they can keep it to use later. If they still want immediate gold, then they can sell to me at a discount. I say I am a merchant and can offer cash, but at a merchant price and I make my offer. Sometimes we negotiate a bit. Sometimes they walk away. Many times, they come back and take the offer.

There are people who will still sell, and at the discount price, to get their gold immediately. This is true in any MMO. There is always value in a ready buyer. I just make sure they understand they can get a higher price at a later time, either in the auction house (which has a listing fee) or by standing around yelling about their item (and being careful to check the gold or trade amount) like they can see other people doing.

It's a typical MMO thing, so they'll have to learn it sooner or later.

Shlump
03-03-2014, 04:48 AM
There's also scammers who play off this. They ask you how much a mythic item is worth, by showing it to you in the trade window. When you tell them, they say they just want some armour or other for it, and don't care the value, they just want to trade. Usually the item they "want to trade it for" is one their alt has listed at a highly over-inflated price. I know a lot of people who have gone and bought that item to "trade" for a mythic, only to find the noob was really an underhanded merch just conning them to make a sale.

Lesson of the day: if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Being greedy will just get you burned.

Yes! A rogue with red santa hat was standing in Traveler's Outpost, I asked him if he was selling his hat and replied with ''trading my santa hat for Mystic ring level 19''. Me, confused, went to check at the auction house for that ring, and it was listed for 650k (santa hat is worth 2 mil) so i'd honestly be like ''yes, profit! I'm buying that ring!'' but no, it's a 2k worth ring. So, I replied ''well i'll give you the 650k and you can buy it yourself!'' and of course, he replied ''no I trade only sorry I don't need gold''. How obvious.

Shlump
03-21-2014, 01:36 PM

Bravo! :applause: