View Full Version : A question for C++ and C# programmers

Schnitzel
03-03-2014, 11:23 PM
Just wondering...which is the better language to learn?

Main reason: long story short, I am learning how to code a robot in java from another programmer in my school's robotics team.
We have these small debates at meetings about Java vs. C++. We ruled to program our FRC robots in C++...means i gotta learn the C++ library of programming robots..
As i was googling today, some websites suggested i should learn C# instead of C++

So to the C++ and C# pros (Devs, mods, programmers), which language is better?

Side reason: I figured if i learn C++ or C# now, so i could get a job as a game developer later :D

Thanks

side note: any sites that would teach C++ or C# for free? (like something related to codeAcademy, but would teach C++/C#)

programmed
03-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Well I am learning C++ for game design. I hear C++ is a good thing to know and is supposed to be able to be used in a lot of things now. I honestly don't know much about those two. I mostly know java and HTML and recently started C++.

PL•ayer
03-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Another person in FIRST!! The FLL team in my FIRST club recently made it to World.

As for C++ or C#, why does it say # is better? Isn't the only diff C++ has more? I've only done C++, not C# so I can't say 1st hand, but if you want a career in game development, definetely C++ (but Java is probably even better).

Schnitzel
03-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Another person in FIRST!! The FLL team in my FIRST club recently made it to World.

As for C++ or C#, why does it say # is better? Isn't the only diff C++ has more? I've only done C++, not C# so I can't say 1st hand, but if you want a career in game development, definetely C++ (but Java is probably even better).

Same with ours!
You guys going to California too?

btw, would you happen to know where i can learn that one library of C++ for FRC?

PL•ayer
03-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Same with ours!
You guys going to California too?

btw, would you happen to know where i can learn that one library of C++ for FRC?

Gratz! :D For FLL it's St Louis, won't see u haha

I'm too young for FRC, just FTC sorry...

I learned C++ from an instructor, not sure where to find a way to learn it for free. Probably the only two members of FIRST on the forums an we can't help each other :/