PDA

View Full Version : Solution to a few scams

Hiosahaf
03-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Recently, we've witnessed a lot of our fellow gamers being scammed. Most of the times it is because they've given their account credentials to somebody else or some friend played some prank from their device.

Here are a few suggestions to reduce unrequited and repetitive hassle:

1) Mythic/Arcane gear cannot be gifted (silly, but some people can gift it.)

2) After trade window pop-up. By this I mean that after the trade has happened, a small pop-up appears: "XYZ just gave you ABC gear. Is this the gear you had asked for?". If a player clicks no, the items and gold are swapped back. This can drastically reduce the amount of scams happening right now.

3) 4-digit passkey. Whenever you log into AL, you have to set a passkey for the next time you will use it. Each passkey should be different than the previous one (forgetful ones can just alternate). This 4-digit passkey is required right in the main menu (just like those ads pop up, this pops up too). Effect? Massive reduction in scams done due to account credentials swapping.

Feel free to comment! I'm open for more suggestions. Please add any if you have below and I'll add them in here!

P.S.- People who flame this thread will be Aimed shot and then cursed and shall finally experience a Maul proc.

Commanderkeen
03-06-2014, 08:46 PM
Sorry no in my situation.

1. When I deleted keen I gifted all of my arcane/mythic items to a friend. Don't see why I can't do this?

2. There's already two confirmation windows. I don't need a third one.

3. I'll never login again. My login email and password should be fine.

Hiosahaf
03-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Sorry no in my situation.

1. When I deleted keen I gifted all of my arcane/mythic items to a friend. Don't see why I can't do this?

2. There's already two confirmation windows. I don't need a third one.

3. I'll never login again. My login email and password should be fine.

Hey thanks for not flaming this first all! Greatly appreciated. Here are my counters:
1) You can trade your items if you'd like. I've seen cases where someone accidentally gifts a lepre or something valuable to a wrong person. 5 extra seconds to trade can't harm much!

2) That's true that there are 2 windows but you do know of the scam where the scammer swaps out the item on the last moment and leaves happily? This will completely abolish that trick used by them. Remember, you are intelligent, but you can't say the same for remaining gullible people in game!

3) Erm..why? This suggestion is in response to the various scams due to account being compromised. Remember Smurfo's incident? And Valkyras. And someone else just posted a thread about It (that gave the idea actually). As for you, you can alternate it between your bday and your special one's bday.

Thanks for your feedback!

Anarchist
03-06-2014, 09:21 PM
Apart from the 4 digit password i will find annoying to remember and enter everytime i log in i see no flaws here. Specially the first suggestion, it's sweet and simple.

Ihateppl
03-06-2014, 09:31 PM
i would make it that if you dont enter your passkey 10 seconds after logging in, your entire acct gets wiped.

yeah... i can just imagine all those tears running down pink fleshy cheeks.... :o nvm....

Commanderkeen
03-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Hey thanks for not flaming this first all! Greatly appreciated. Here are my counters:
1) You can trade your items if you'd like. I've seen cases where someone accidentally gifts a lepre or something valuable to a wrong person. 5 extra seconds to trade can't harm much!

2) That's true that there are 2 windows but you do know of the scam where the scammer swaps out the item on the last moment and leaves happily? This will completely abolish that trick used by them. Remember, you are intelligent, but you can't say the same for remaining gullible people in game!

3) Erm..why? This suggestion is in response to the various scams due to account being compromised. Remember Smurfo's incident? And Valkyras. And someone else just posted a thread about It (that gave the idea actually). As for you, you can alternate it between your bday and your special one's bday.

Thanks for your feedback!

1. No five more seconds wouldn't hurt.

2. Yes some are more intelligent than others but I still see that two confirmation windows are enough. People just need to slow down and double check.

3. I usually only play once a week and remembering a one time password once a week is impossible for me. I play SL once a month and DL maybe a few times a year so I'll never be able to play them again.

Hiosahaf
03-06-2014, 09:42 PM
1. No five more seconds wouldn't hurt.

2. Yes some are more intelligent than others but I still see that two confirmation windows are enough. People just need to slow down and double check.

3. I usually only play once a week and remembering a one time password once a week is impossible for me. I play SL once a month and DL maybe a few times a year so I'll never be able to play them again.

1) ~

2) I agree, completely. Even if find this frustrating but there around 1m people playing AL. They're not that intelligent!

3) erm..birthday?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Commanderkeen
03-06-2014, 09:58 PM
3) erm..birthday?

One of my toons names is Cancer. There's only so many days on the Cancer zodiac. Flaw. Ok I'm being a hard-azz now. Sorry I just don't want this to be implemented.

Zylx
03-07-2014, 12:25 AM
My feedback:

1) Scams could still happen. Even if u trade (not gift) them your item(s) for nothing so they can "test it", you're still scammed. Once someone offers a player a really valuable item/high amount of gold, they'll turn gullable.

2) We already have a confirmation screen. A third one will be practically useless. Its like saying "are you sure?.......are you sure sure?". Vigilance is the only fix to that problem.

3) Everytime you log on, a message greets you in your chat box telling you not to give your email/password to anyone. Why would STS need to make an extra precaution to enforce account security when 1: A very clear warning is seen every time you log on, and 2: The other players will be really annoyed when they have to remember a pin number and take the time to enter it in every time they log in. Sharing your account info can result in a ban.

No offense intentionally given.

Hiosahaf
03-07-2014, 04:32 AM
My feedback:

1) Scams could still happen. Even if u trade (not gift) them your item(s) for nothing so they can "test it", you're still scammed. Once someone offers a player a really valuable item/high amount of gold, they'll turn gullable.

2) We already have a confirmation screen. A third one will be practically useless. Its like saying "are you sure?.......are you sure sure?". Vigilance is the only fix to that problem.

3) Everytime you log on, a message greets you in your chat box telling you not to give your email/password to anyone. Why would STS need to make an extra precaution to enforce account security when 1: A very clear warning is seen every time you log on, and 2: The other players will be really annoyed when they have to remember a pin number and take the time to enter it in every time they log in. Sharing your account info can result in a ban.

No offense intentionally given.

1) There have been cases where a player accidently gifts his lepre to someone whom he didn't mean to gift. I don't know how this is relevant. .

2) Like I said, you are intelligent. That's really good. What about others? Remember daddyblu's thread recently about a guy swapping items at the last moment? Scams like that will be reduced to 0. I don't think it should be an issue to close a pop-up.

3) like I said, there have been so numerous cases where someone accessed someone's account from their password and gave away things. STS would have been receiving so many such requests about that. About remembering it, honestly, I think you should remember your birthdate.

Edit- thanks for being constructive. Greatly appreciated!