PDA

View Full Version : Why do we have a gold limit?

Kingzila
03-09-2014, 12:03 AM
Anyone care to share with me why this limit even exist?

Like I understand the cs/trade gold limit, but stash gold limit? WTH is that? Why would you limit the amount of gold I can have?

Shonex
03-09-2014, 03:30 AM
Nobody knows, except the Devs maybe.

demonsty
03-09-2014, 04:31 AM
what is the limit?

Ks_Leon
03-09-2014, 07:09 AM
If in a toons,maybe for less scam.On stash idk lol.

Shonex
03-09-2014, 07:36 AM
The limit is 9.99mil.

Fusionstrike
03-09-2014, 10:44 AM
The gold limit on players, stash, trade, etc. is there because it simplifies the game implementation. With a limit in place, the database has a cap on how much storage is reserved for each character's gold count. Also, the UI design is easier when the maximum number of digits it must display is fixed. And it's also easier if every place that displays gold has the same limit so that weird corner cases don't have to be handled.

So that's why there IS a limit, but doesn't explain why the limit is 10 million. I think they picked 10mil at the start of PL because it seemed like a huge number that would be far larger than players need. And this was true for a long while, but today's game has enough gold sloshing around that 10mil is no longer enough. I think they could up the max to 100mil or even 1 billion pretty easily to better handle the current state of the game. All screens I can think of can display an extra digit or two of gold, and even up to 1bil can still fit into a 4 byte database field, which is likely what is being used for gold storage today. Going up two more digits to 1 billion would be plenty to handle the rest of PL's lifetime.

programmed
03-09-2014, 11:11 AM
With inflation and things costing more (for example EWT, EMS, Black dragon, etc) I think it should be raised a little.

Aveea
03-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Plat character creation to stash gold makes more moolah for STG. :smile:

Kingzila
03-09-2014, 06:01 PM
The gold limit on players, stash, trade, etc. is there because it simplifies the game implementation. With a limit in place, the database has a cap on how much storage is reserved for each character's gold count. Also, the UI design is easier when the maximum number of digits it must display is fixed. And it's also easier if every place that displays gold has the same limit so that weird corner cases don't have to be handled.

So that's why there IS a limit, but doesn't explain why the limit is 10 million. I think they picked 10mil at the start of PL because it seemed like a huge number that would be far larger than players need. And this was true for a long while, but today's game has enough gold sloshing around that 10mil is no longer enough. I think they could up the max to 100mil or even 1 billion pretty easily to better handle the current state of the game. All screens I can think of can display an extra digit or two of gold, and even up to 1bil can still fit into a 4 byte database field, which is likely what is being used for gold storage today. Going up two more digits to 1 billion would be plenty to handle the rest of PL's lifetime.

I don't think it was storage as much as you said it was a huge number when pl started and now it's not, and in that case it should be raised