PDA

View Full Version : Any trick to Galactic overlord?

Facehumper
12-08-2010, 03:48 PM
So, Gurgox has a "trick" (you gotta grab a shield when he growls), but does the GO?

Most people say "buy pots" or "use the glitch" and both of these are ridiculous answers IMO. If these are the only ways to fight the guy, then the devs have failed at making a fun game. They have only succeeded in tricking us into burning thru our gold, or relying on bugs.

I know that the barrels will drop his shield, as will one of the bird skills. Unfortunately, the shield pops right back up almost immediately after using a barrel to drop his shield, so that little gameplay mechanic is a fail at this point as far as I'm concerned, but I like the idea of requiring some kind of intelligent teamwork to use the barrels to kill him.

Also, what is the deal with the electric attack? How does that work? Does it just hit everyone, or is there some kind of logic to it? I'm looking for something like: "If you do X, then you will not get hit by the lightning." I've heard someone say they would test if line of sight is the key, i.e. stand behind the tank and you won't get hit. That would be cool because at least now you have a chance to avoid an attack that can one-shot most pure int enchantresses.

Anyway, I love the Gurgox battle. It is something different and fun, challenging yet not impossible without pots. Well executed game design, so Kudos to whoever designed it. Whoever designed the GO battle needs to step up their game and make it fun... unless there is some real trick to this fight that nobody has seemed to figure out yet.

Lesrider
12-08-2010, 03:58 PM
I agree. Gurgox is still my fave boss, even if his loot isn't worth much anymore. I like fighting him bc it's fun.

I haven't tried beating the OL without a pot since the nerf, so not sure if he's gotten easy enough to do so. Anyone else?

(Besides Pharcyde, who solos him ;) )

Superzarop
12-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Ol is doable without pots. The the easiest way to do so is to have 3 or 4 paladins and 2 or 1 birds.
The paladins will always stay close to ol while contantly spamming heal. The birds will stay back, but gets close every 13 seconds or so to use all their attack abilities in an instant, starting with blast shot, while constantly spamming hpots. If there are 2 birds, they should take turn with their attack, and a mega blaster is preferred for this since it has longer range than OLs attack.
If anyone dies, the paladins should try move OL away from the corpse, while one of the paladins run as far away from OL as possible and revs the teammates.

Lesrider
12-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Hmm thanks Super, I may have to try that.

Superzarop
12-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Call me Tek :) i didnt know that my display name will be the same as account name :(

j46g629h
12-08-2010, 05:27 PM
I agree. Gurgox is still my fave boss, even if his loot isn't worth much anymore. I like fighting him bc it's fun.

I haven't tried beating the OL without a pot since the nerf, so not sure if he's gotten easy enough to do so. Anyone else?

he still has to take armor pot to do that

Ol is doable without pots. The the easiest way to do so is to have 3 or 4 paladins and 2 or 1 birds.
The paladins will always stay close to ol while contantly spamming heal. The birds will stay back, but gets close every 13 seconds or so to use all their attack abilities in an instant, starting with blast shot, while constantly spamming hpots. If there are 2 birds, they should take turn with their attack, and a mega blaster is preferred for this since it has longer range than OLs attack.
If anyone dies, the paladins should try move OL away from the corpse, while one of the paladins run as far away from OL as possible and revs the teammates.

what about other mage?

I paid 20p for this and have to be int/str or full str mage just for killing him???

Gaga
12-08-2010, 06:33 PM

I'm pretty sure anyone with good gear can solo him...

dirtball
12-08-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm pretty sure anyone with good gear can solo him...
...and probably use about 300 health pots in the meantime, or 2 or 3 damage pots, or a trash can pot...dumb thing to do. Wastes money and time and drop doesn't differ from having 5 people there anyway.

Arterra
12-08-2010, 09:56 PM
guess what? first go around, in the good old days of when we where all 45 and had no rift or void or cosmos to aid us, we beat OL fair and square!! if we can do it, so can you.

dirtball
12-08-2010, 09:56 PM
One big piece of advice, do not try it without 1 or 2 good birds. The glitch of overlord is just silly, he's fairly easy with 5 level 50's just going at him.

TheLaw
12-08-2010, 10:44 PM
well, i always do a team with 2 DS birds, 2 DS mages and a tanker :P StrBirds can solo OL easy, just be ready to spam your hp pots.

Rusalio
12-08-2010, 10:53 PM
LOL totally agree with the statement that a good bird can solo just fine. Like others, routinely get pings to help lowers dps folks that have been pounding on the OL for 30 minutes or more with no success. Don't mind the solo, but uggggg takes a bit of time and chugging down health pots.

To my knowlege there is no "Do x, to accomplish y". After a few runs with teams and a solo or two, you will learn a trick to avoid the ZZZZZAP from the OL everytime he points electricity.

Riccits
12-09-2010, 03:47 AM
yesterday 2 of five guys didtn pot, they used normal heal pots.. and we hadnt any problem... it works when u have NO LAG!!
and its cheaper then pot...

Mrudo92
05-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Just figured out ol trick. Attempted to 4 man. 2 lv 55 enchantress 2 45 warriors. No luck. Called in 55bird and he was able to solo with ease. So have bird go in dropping his armor and using barrels. Everyone else stays out of room. Only solution I found.

Tamino
05-04-2011, 10:00 AM
I did it solo with my 53 bird with health pot only, to help lower ppl to terminate the quest. My (47) bear did it also with a good L48 bird. Anyone with > 60 armor can survive spamming health pots.

But anyway, it was my impression, or "glitch" doesn't work anymore?

Coltona
05-04-2011, 10:56 AM

Lol well i'm not Pharcyde but I love to solo the OL, first time I soloed him I was level 48 ha (thanks to physio's archer guide)! Anyways the trick is, whoever has aggro on him gets hit the hardest while everyone else is hit with normal damage. There is a range of how far his attack can hit you, example if he's in the middle of the room, and you don't have aggro you can run to a wall and not get hit, however birds don't seem to be able to really get a good attack in from this point either (without mega) so probably best for mage to stand there and run in to rev/heal when needed. Never really tried the behind him thing so i'll test it next time i'm in and get back to you with what I find out.

Greyhorse
05-04-2011, 11:10 AM
I remember the first time I was at the Overlord, the PUG host explained the glitch and instructed the rest of us not to use any AOE skills whatsoever, just auto.

It took a reeeeeally long time to gently tap the Overlord to death, lol.

JemNI
05-05-2011, 11:55 AM
I was told never to use magic on him, so I just stood outside and tried to heal. If a couple archers stand by the doorway in range of rev and heal and the mage stands outside the room, I think it works. Now I know better and would try to hit him with debuffs and drain life, but I guess you can also blast the bejeesus out of him AFTER the barrels blow up.

I've seen him go down quite suddenly somehow and I always wondered how. If an archer takes down his armor and THEN blasts a barrel, does that do major damage to him?

Duped
05-07-2011, 08:07 PM
I will try to solo him with my bird in next day or two and get back to you. I did it all the time with tank pot prior to plat for pots.

And the trick is to have a good bird. This same trick is used again in Sewers unfortunately :)

Edit:

Just tested it out, and my 52 bird solo'd him without any problems. I only used 50 health pots too, so it wasn't even a major strain.

Whirlzap
05-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Guys I think the answers clear...
The overlord hacked pocket legends..T.T

JaytB
05-07-2011, 09:29 PM
guess what? first go around, in the good old days of when we where all 45 and had no rift or void or cosmos to aid us, we beat OL fair and square!! if we can do it, so can you.

I remember beating him with my lv 40'ish friends. I was a lv45 wannabe tank at that time. I used 100's of health pots to stay alive, but... We killed him.

On a side note, did the same thing today with my lvl 55 tank. Used 0 health pots :banana:

Tamino
05-09-2011, 08:46 AM
I did it solo with my 53 bird with health pot only, to help lower ppl to terminate the quest. My (47) bear did it also with a good L48 bird. Anyone with > 60 armor can survive spamming health pots.

But anyway, it was my impression, or "glitch" doesn't work anymore?

I tried again yesterday, and I died many times until I resolved to go with Shield/Talon that took a lot of time but worked fine. It seems like the crit level of OL attacks is increased so if I got two crit in a row I was done (due to my ping of 250-350 I can restore health from a crit just before being hit again). Nobody checked this yesterday?

Duped
05-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Did you not read my post? I solod with 52 bird and no elixirs, just need to watch your health.

Coltona
05-09-2011, 06:46 PM
I was told never to use magic on him, so I just stood outside and tried to heal. If a couple archers stand by the doorway in range of rev and heal and the mage stands outside the room, I think it works. Now I know better and would try to hit him with debuffs and drain life, but I guess you can also blast the bejeesus out of him AFTER the barrels blow up.

I've seen him go down quite suddenly somehow and I always wondered how. If an archer takes down his armor and THEN blasts a barrel, does that do major damage to him?
Yes it does damage to him, not sure how major the damage is, but it works like this. Archer or barrel takes down his shield it will say *ABSORBED* above his head, which knocks down his shield. So in other words it knocks out his shield, but causes him no damage until shield is down and gets hit by an attack or explosion.

Coltona
05-09-2011, 06:58 PM
I tried again yesterday, and I died many times until I resolved to go with Shield/Talon that took a lot of time but worked fine. It seems like the crit level of OL attacks is increased so if I got two crit in a row I was done (due to my ping of 250-350 I can restore health from a crit just before being hit again). Nobody checked this yesterday?

Nice sig but wouldn't it be better to have the actual picture?

GrandmaBear
05-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Echoing others about the bird, although I've seen it done with bears. Yeah, as a mage, I've tended to stay outside the room, then mage and buff up if someone needs rev, go in, and rush out again. Not much else you're expected to do as everyone knows that OL one hits mages. The other day, though, I felt more useful because the bear was really good at keeping aggro so I could stand just inside, by the doorway and cast heals, buffs, debuffs and drain life (mind you, I'm a 55 mage with mm set and I think he did do the electric thing once or twice). Obviously, don't put on auto attack :D

I have no doubt the others could easily solo him, but at least there was SOME role to play ;)

Leiver
05-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Any of you amazing people fancy taking my bear along next time you head out to kill OL? Failing miserably at this quest lol

Add my bear if you are willing to help :-) name in sig :-)

OverkillED
05-11-2011, 09:23 PM
u guys realize the date of thread is December 2010, right? ;)

Leiver
05-11-2011, 09:36 PM
u guys realize the date of thread is December 2010, right? ;)

Why would that matter? OL hasn't changed has he?

Anyway, cancel my help request. Quest is done :-)

csb
06-25-2011, 05:27 AM
Yey! I soloed OL with my 46 bird on the first try.

I needed to do the "This Ends Now!" level to unlock "The Victory Lap". I was hoping to join a group, but nobody was doing that level, so i hosted my own. People would come in for a few seconds and leave. Finally, a mage came and killed 3 aliens with me, and then left. Hmm... do i smell bad?

Finally, only the OL remained, after soloing the entire map. I was reading these forums on how to kill OL, when a 56 bird comes in with a pink sewer bow and says, "I will help you, stand back and don't come in the room, i solo this guy all the time." So, i'm thinking, great... because I don't think i can do it.

The 56 bird died 4 times. He left, came back, died two more times, left, came back, died one more time, and left never to return. So, I went back to reading the forums. I was hoping a group would form while I read the forums, but since it's 2am, nobody joined. (or possibly nobody joined because i smell bad)

Some people said on the forums that there is a "glitch" to exploit, but never really explained it. Some say run him past barrels and make them explode. Um, that's not happening, i can barely run without getting stuck on something. Finally, i decide my only options were to either quit or to run in and die trying. I bought one 1.5X armor elixir for 2000 gold, and just hacked him to death with my Limbchopper (yeah, i'm a str tank bird with 105 armor). I also used about 120 healing pots. It took about 7 minutes, the last two without the elixir. I think if I used the 7000 gold dumpster punch it would have been easier and twice as fast due to bigger hits.

Anyway, I'm actually disappointed it was so easy.

Is the rumor true that OL gets more difficult if there are more people in the room?

Tamino
06-27-2011, 04:42 AM
Yey! I soloed OL with my 46 bird on the first try.
Congratz !

Some people said on the forums that there is a "glitch" to exploit, but never really explained it.
Once a time, if a player took aggro and exited room hiding in the left corner immediately outside, OL tried to reach him uselessly from inside, giving to other players the opportunity enter the room and to attack him without being hit. This "glitch" worked only while the "bait player" held the aggro. A few months ago the devs fixed the glitch, now if bait exit room it immediately looses aggro.

Anyway, I'm actually disappointed it was so easy.
I'm going to try myself again, I'm curious about the destiny of the more changed boss of all times...

Ebeflatey
09-26-2011, 09:50 AM
I solo'd the GOL on my first go with a 48 Bird, I pulled him out and backed him into a corner in the short corridoor, I received no damage but all my companions died in the first few seconds. Wierd!

First time posting.

RedRyder
09-26-2011, 09:56 AM
In the future, please don't necro post (posting on pretty old threads, bring them back to the first page) as it is pretty frowned upon.

Welcome to the forums! :)