PDA

View Full Version : Scorns AA: useful or harmful for allies?

Wutzgood
03-19-2014, 07:23 AM
Been using scorn a lot and I love his arcane ability. Gaining 20% damage for 5 seconds in exchange for a 20% armor loss is great for my Mage.

But what about unsuspecting allies who have no control when they get this boost? Will the unexpected armor loss kill my allies more than help them?

Sorcerie
03-19-2014, 07:41 AM
I can tell you that I do not care for Scorn's ability without a team who knows when and how to use it - timing and pet synching is crucial to make the most out of his AA or else it spells doom for the entire party for 5 seconds.

To be honest you're better off getting Shadowlurk.

It's happiness bonus is +20 prim, 10% dam, 100 mana, and 2% dam reduction and the arcane ability Killer Instinct grants +20% crit and +10% dam for 5 seconds.

That means he keeps you alive longer with dam reduction and if you spec'd passive dam that's a whopping +25% dam for 5 seconds with an extra +20% to crit, and to top it all off it's a party buff if you're within range of his AA - aaaand! his passive skill can ignite up to 3 targets for 3x dam. So if you cap it and he procs, that's 534 dam from a just a pet!

So I can tell you from experience that this spider is a much safer and deadly option for a party buff.

Ishtmeet
03-19-2014, 07:41 AM
Lol, A mage in my party was using scorns ability On the 3rd boss of the tindrin maps. And Wariors dont need damage buff instead of armour. That boss was one hitting me. 6k hp. Thats bad pet for bosses i guess

utpal
03-19-2014, 07:42 AM
it kills warrior. i hate when i.pull mobs and then one use this AA.

Wutzgood
03-19-2014, 07:46 AM
I have shadow lurk also sirulian. He's a great pet. But I like the 35 int I get from scorn and his arcane ability works well for me. I'm just worried about killing my allies lol. It's tough to keep track of all my allies, while dodging red zones, and make sure I use his AA to help everyone.

I've just been using it right before I unleash 4 attack skills in a row lol. Works great for clearing mobs.

Sorcerie
03-19-2014, 07:53 AM
I have shadow lurk also sirulian. He's a great pet. But I like the 35 int I get from scorn and his arcane ability works well for me. I'm just worried about killing my allies lol. It's tough to keep track of all my allies, while dodging red zones, and make sure I use his AA to help everyone.

I've just been using it right before I unleash 4 attack skills in a row lol. Works great for clearing mobs.Lol, you're just looking at the personal int buff, which great and all - but it's not if you're killing party members seeing as how you take the aggro for their deaths and end up dead yourself if you're spamming it with no forethought. Just be careful of when you activate and be mindful of party position and aggro and you'll be alright. I have to agree that its not ideal for bosses though, the risk is just too great.

Wutzgood
03-19-2014, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll only use him for mobs and remove him for bosses.

Wutzgood
03-19-2014, 08:23 AM
Although the more I think about it this pet seems like perfect revenge for mana begging warriors and rogues. Beg mana from me and I'll get you killed lol.

Sorcerie
03-19-2014, 08:26 AM
Although the more I think about it this pet seems like perfect revenge for mana begging warriors and rogues. Beg mana from me and I'll get you killed lol.That's ice cold, Wutz, lol. I prefer to tell the mana peasants to hush. xDDD

Wutzgood
03-19-2014, 08:27 AM
That's ice cold, Wutz, lol. I prefer to tell the mana peasants to hush. xDDD

Lol I've tried that along with telling them I carry 4 attack skills or to use potions. This seems like a great alternative lol.

Sorcerie
03-19-2014, 08:28 AM
Lol I've tried that along with telling them I carry 4 attack skills or to use potions. This seems like a great alternative lol.Lol, go ahead and keep begging and watch what happens. Haha! Feel my Scorn!

Wutzgood
03-19-2014, 08:56 AM
Lol, go ahead and keep begging and watch what happens. Haha! Feel my Scorn!

Exactly lol. Would have been a much more useful pet if it was just 20% damage increase for 5 seconds. It wouldn't be much different from something like ribbit who adds 40% crit. Although I can still find uses for this armor reduction on mana beggars who drive me crazy.

This pet could be a tragedy for pvp tho. My twinks wouldn't want that armor loss especially when they have no control over when it happens.

Zeus
03-19-2014, 09:23 AM
Exactly lol. Would have been a much more useful pet if it was just 20% damage increase for 5 seconds. It wouldn't be much different from something like ribbit who adds 40% crit. Although I can still find uses for this armor reduction on mana beggars who drive me crazy.

This pet could be a tragedy for pvp tho. My twinks wouldn't want that armor loss especially when they have no control over when it happens.

This is a spot blocking pet...

Cero
03-19-2014, 09:31 AM

This is a spot blocking pet...

Lol dont give the twinks some idea:P

uunknownn
03-19-2014, 09:33 AM
another mages dont know team works mean in elite haha:-P

Derezzzed
03-19-2014, 09:36 AM
Get a rouge to pop shadow veil then use the AA shadow veil gives +20% dmg and armor so combine with scorn & that's plus 40% dmg ;)

Sceazikua
03-19-2014, 11:18 AM
I would say I prefer orion than scorn. His AA is increase 10% damage too, and also reduce armor and chance to panic enemies in his range. The passive is great too which further reduces armor :) Scorn sounds harmful more than useful comparing to orion, only int no hp like colton, no natural stun/panic either :) I really wouldnt want my armor to be reduced when fighting with warriors because the fireball never seems to last full 5s to warriors, so they will smash us LOL.

Zeus
03-19-2014, 12:14 PM
Personally, I do not think that the AL community is mature enough to handle a pet like scorn. So, the ability should either be nerfed or changed so that it only affects yourself...not the members in the party. Perhaps, change it to something like:

Exchanges 50% of your own armor for a 20% damage boost to you and your teammates.

Kakashis
03-19-2014, 12:24 PM
I've been messing around with scorn on my twink tank and the results are good. The problem is with duplicate pets, abilities don't stack so its nice to have an extra 20% damage on top of someone else's crit and damage buff. Whats the difference between 350 armor and 280 armor xD I need the other team DEAD!

Zeus
03-19-2014, 12:59 PM
I've been messing around with scorn on my twink tank and the results are good. The problem is with duplicate pets, abilities don't stack so its nice to have an extra 20% damage on top of someone else's crit and damage buff. Whats the difference between 350 armor and 280 armor xD I need the other team DEAD!

It's when at end game, that -20% armor really makes a difference. Mages start hitting like rogues and tanks start hitting like mages. Rogues? They don't hit... they one shot kill. O_O

Wutzgood
03-19-2014, 01:39 PM
Personally, I do not think that the AL community is mature enough to handle a pet like scorn. So, the ability should either be nerfed or changed so that it only affects yourself...not the members in the party. Perhaps, change it to something like:

Exchanges 50% of your own armor for a 20% damage boost to you and your teammates.

I think 50% is way too high. I wouldn't mind exchanging 20% armor for only myself but 50% won't make it worth using at all.

I've been using his ability randomly while leveling and no one has been dying as a result. Not sure how this would work on elites tho. He worked really well for cracking the dragon egg before it hatches.

CrazyTank
03-20-2014, 12:04 AM
I really don't like this arcane ability. It is really crazy. I have to loose 400 armor for 45 damage -.-

Kakashis
03-20-2014, 02:51 AM
I really don't like this arcane ability. It is really crazy. I have to loose 400 armor for 45 damage -.-

yeah, I wouldn't recommend using him at end game. Losing 400 armor would mean a certain death for sure~

Renorico
03-20-2014, 04:05 AM
Well that explains the crazy hits I've suffered on particular runs. I was a little confused as to why I could own a mob one run and the next it owned me.

So Scorn is like a gun, if you're careless with it you could kill your friends. If you're adept, you could be a hero. There's HUGE potential here! With Scorn in the wrong hands you'll just have to protect yourself. Don't go hunting with someone who misuses firearms - don't run with someone who misuses Scorn. If there's a problem, communicate or run with someone else. With a group who is all on the same page Scorn could be used to great advantage. Tanks should love him! When running solo, monkey ball for instance, there's no need bug your friends or wait on anyone, get stuck with pug leeches or spend 3 times as long killing mobs. If anyone can handle the armor loss and use the damage boost its tanks in normal maps.

So now that there's a pet that kills mana beggars... I want a pet that robs XP and drops from leeches. Or one that pushes scaredy-tanks to the front of the group.

Silverpegasus
03-20-2014, 09:31 AM
how we wish to kill those leechers warriors in pug map. they gains no aggro, and they will cock block the map till you finish it for them. It's not even mana beggars issue anymore.
But using scorn (feeling the pun here), won't kill those you scorned, as the fact is scared pussĄ is hiding by a safe spot and will never draw any aggro. Did they transport from PL?
Save the scorn for solo map and organized party.

MoloToha
03-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Better use Orion. He provides +10% damage for 6 seconds, but with no armor reduction. Also applies debuffs on enemies and costs only 50k...

Carapace
03-20-2014, 10:28 AM
We're keeping an eye on this one. He is certainly designed to be a circumstantial pet, wherein the correct usage can make you the hero like Renorico says, or can make you the fool. There is a substantial potential for trolling however, so we're keeping an eye on it. If it gets out of hand we may need to make some changes, but they will be discussed before being made.

Kakashis
03-20-2014, 01:31 PM
when I was taking some aggro on the normal dragon's map, someone used scorn on me from afar and took down my armor and I died. This is indeed a dangerous pet and should only be used by a tank since they should be the one in control of when to take down the armor!

Tendirin
04-06-2014, 09:10 PM
lol Seems good for trolling

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk,Ign Tendirin

Serancha
04-07-2014, 05:48 AM
We're keeping an eye on this one. He is certainly designed to be a circumstantial pet, wherein the correct usage can make you the hero like Renorico says, or can make you the fool. There is a substantial potential for trolling however, so we're keeping an eye on it. If it gets out of hand we may need to make some changes, but they will be discussed before being made.

I think it's great to have a pet that you need to actually think to use, rather than just spam every time the button lights up. This pet has great potential.

Pethaps people should need a responsible user's license to own one. "Must be a beast whisperer to own scorn" might filter a lot of the misusers, although likely not the pvp trolls. But then they're going to troll/block/whatever with or without it, so really not a big difference either way.

Thrindal
04-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Just wanna say I agree that anything that brings an additional element of thought to the game is a good thing. Spamming as an end all be all strategy is not good or fun...

As for one use for scorn, try Elite Cracked Egg. With a little bit of strategy mixed in.

wvhills
04-16-2014, 09:07 AM
since we now know that % damage doesnt stack i fell like scorn is useless. What happens when ur standing in a rogues smoke? we now know u don't get 40% damage, you stay at 20%. But what happens to the armor? I'd say no one, not even the devs, know.

Imo, skip this pet. It's not worth the trouble leveling. You would be better off with deary and it's +15 str, dex and int party buff.