PDA

View Full Version : Help us noobs with terms? ;)

ImANoob
12-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Okay, so I was scanning through the forums searching for a nice, simple guide designed for people who are just starting the game, on the basics, maybe a little deeper. I came acrossed many things, such as a twink, bow bear, pally, etc. If anyone could break down a few of these for me, as well as any other terms you can think of that would be useful. I also would like to know about str/dex/int, what they do for what, what to pump into which account etc. It would be great, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate anyone who could simplify stuff.

Demonicdevyn
12-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Twink-alternate character meant for pvp

Bowbear-a bear with a bow

Pally(paladin)-a mage with str

ImANoob
12-09-2010, 08:58 PM
So, a twink is a lower level character that some pro lvl 50 person made for pvp?

giayuan
12-09-2010, 09:00 PM
bow bear: a bear where dex is put into to be able to wield dex stuff (a hybrid)
pally: an elf where str is put into to be able to wield str stuff (a hybrid)
twink: a character stopped at a certain lvl and is equipped with the best gear at that lvl for certain uses, usually, its for pvping. The most popular twinks are lvl 19
smartbear (intbear) a bear where int is put into to be able to wield int stuff (a hybrid)

ImANoob
12-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Why be a hybrid? I kinda want to know the affects of Dex/Str/Int on characters to better get why you wouldn't pump str into the warrior, or dex into a bird, or int into a mage.

Demonicdevyn
12-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Because
they dont know how

ImANoob
12-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Because
they dont know how

Please, only helpful posts.

Demonicdevyn
12-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Im pretty sure my first post helped XD

giayuan
12-09-2010, 09:16 PM
lol demonic^^^^^^^^ burned
anyway, lets see:

I use pally becuz mages are just TOO WEAK in ao3, the str in the mage gets the mage more hp and allows it to equip tanking gear. with this, mages not only have a better survival rate, they still have their skills which do a lot more damage than regular bears. disadvantage is loss of range, no actually tanking abilities, and not a true mage

The same concept is applied with bowbear, bear moves but ranged with dex stuff.

ImANoob
12-09-2010, 09:18 PM
So, str adds hp. that puts me 1/8th of the way there! ;P. So, so far I'm understanding it like this, you're taking the skills of the class, but you're taking the effects of the stats, and making a better character?

Edit: Just to clarify a few things, I'm partially looking for the effects of str/int/dex, but I'm also trying to make an elite character thats fun to use, but good in PvP.

ImANoob
12-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Can anyone just sum up what str does, what dex does and what int does, by terms of damage, m/s and h/s?

Ellyidol
12-09-2010, 10:07 PM
If I'm not mistaken:

Str gives highest in armor, health and h/s.

Dex gives highest in base damage, DPS, crit, and dodge.

Int gives highest in mana and m/s.

All 3 stats give more skill damage depending on which class you are.

Bears = str = more skill damage.
Birds = dex = more skill damage.
Mage = int = more skill damage.

Unless I'm mistaken with what the stats give, this is what i know.

ImANoob
12-09-2010, 10:24 PM
what about a mage using a bow? i want dex for more damage?

Ellyidol
12-09-2010, 10:27 PM
what about a mage using a bow? i want dex for more damage?

That's a dexchantress. It would be good too, but IMO the main damage source from mages are it's skills. Not really the weapon and normal attacking. So my main concern was to use str items to boost my survivability. Though if you think a gun or bow is more your playing style, there's nothing wrong with it at all.

Pre rebalance, dex mages used to have the highest damage output i believe. Iv seen some pretty good ones still, but you definitely need a tank in front of you before you can burst out your damage.

Zeus
12-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Elly, Str is now the new stat that gives the most dodge, I know, it sucks..

ImANoob
12-09-2010, 10:53 PM
there are guns? o_O

Zeus
12-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Yes, they are called alien blasters or blasters, but the biggest and most awesome/word I can't say here on forums but you know what it is is the MEGA BLASTER OF THE VOID

Ellyidol
12-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Elly, Str is now the new stat that gives the most dodge, I know, it sucks..

Whatttt.

Wow is Str definitely a tanking stat then. They should add more damage to Dex/int then since neither now add more survivability. Aside from int doing more heal or giving more mana pool for mana shield with mages.

And yes, there are guns. Blasters I believe.

ImANoob
12-09-2010, 11:02 PM
are there low level blasters like lvl 19-ish? ;p

Demonicdevyn
12-09-2010, 11:45 PM
41 and up or 43 and up

Pharcyde
12-10-2010, 12:06 AM
Why be a hybrid? I kinda want to know the affects of Dex/Str/Int on characters to better get why you wouldn't pump str into the warrior, or dex into a bird, or int into a mage.

Hybrids are basicly pures with x2 effectiveness. Why? Because stat points don't really matter, the stats will come mostly from elite gear.

Right now as it is int, dex, and str really does not effect much. Like str effects damage, armor, and health pool and h/s. Dex effects dodge, critical, and damage. Int effects mana pool, m/s, damage, and total damage. But the changes are super small. So really pures are basicly 1 half of a hybrid. Because hybrids get the effectiveness of two charecters in one with the gears.