PDA

View Full Version : THE problem in developing games, and maybe in general

Arterra
12-10-2010, 04:53 PM
So I officially managed to stay off forums and a little off PL due to taking time off to go infinity-blade crazy. Amazing game, what can I say?
But the point in this thread is to make a conclusion, that though stated before, has not gotten such a stark comparison.

We are easily bored of repetitive farming and quests that require it.

Where am I in infinity blade? currently have best gear, know all of the moves that they can throw at me, and am mastering other weapons while i slowly get the monies to actually buy the infinity blade.
Problem? it basically is grinding monster after monster. and at the end a frustrating boss that doesn't even drop for me anything extra special.

OMG PL-CONNECTION

is it just me or are we repetitively farming the same things just for the sake of gold?? where most of the time we dont even get what we are looking for? While this game does have solid community and communication, it is monotonous grinding tbh. While the combat mechanic of IB is awesome, you are basically sitting alone in a corner swearing softly to yourself.

I do not have a real suggestion, just would like to starkly connect weakpoints in two different awesome games. it is not just PL, it is the fact that they are not finished.

jonboy
12-10-2010, 04:59 PM
You need to read this
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0471752738.01._SX220_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Snakespeare
12-10-2010, 05:07 PM
I'm not a player of MMOs. This is my first and only. But I do play racing games, and it's the same in those; once you master each track, there's not a lot more to do. But isn't that typical of all games: bowling, skeeball, solitaire, etc. just like my job (the daily grind) every day same old same old. So what makes it fun is the fact that I want to do it, and what makes something else work is the fact that I don't. That's why I play other kinds of games.

Aren't we asking too much of a game that it should be different all the time, like life? Games that are different all the time, like baseball, still have repetitive elements. So, either I am seeking the repetition or I am seeking something else. And I think if I want something else, I should do something else, and I just spoil a good thing if I do it when I don't really want what it offers.

Somehow I keep finding things I haven't done and they keep making more things than I can do. So, I wonder if maybe those who get bored just don't want to do some of the other things there are to do?

Arterra
12-10-2010, 05:09 PM
You need to read this
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0471752738.01._SX220_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

im sorry but this isn't necessarily comparing a mmo with a single player game. i am comparing the fact that in ANY situation if you do not have good enough end game material it gets old fast.

cmon, i tried to put all the facts in that post, give me a break >:/

@snake well yes, there is always a difference in the way you do things. but the basic principle is the same. all our quests are grinding, all the maps never change, and we do it all a lot.

Lesrider
12-10-2010, 05:11 PM
I think the problem is that PL is a multiplayer game that you don't just pay for once and you're done. So you want reasons to keep playing and getting your money's worth. Other games are fine if you beat them and never go back (Altho I really hope IB has some good updates bc I'm getting tired of fighting the same baddies over and over, too -- btw Arterra, what's your gamecenter Id?).

jonboy
12-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Ohh ok, tbh I was more trying to agree with you, I was trying to find like the dummies guide for developers of mmo's ahh well....fail

Nice write up though.

Snakespeare
12-10-2010, 05:29 PM
yeah, and tbh I had this feeling this a.m. when no tokens dropped off 5 bosses in a row, that I really oughta read the new Star Trek novels...

jonboy
12-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Or watch stargate universe it's pretty good.

drewcapu
12-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Hi, I'm newish.
For me, what keeps me coming back to a game is the community.
This is the first game I've spent money on since SubSpace (now Continuum). Even the other most recent game I've been playing (Sacred Seasons 1 and 2), didn't get any real money from me (although I've done surveys etc for it).

What has surprised me in PL is that it has a very good community even though it has no Guild feature.

I'm sure the devs have plenty of stuff in the works. There's plenty of room for expansion.

The antennas are a nice thing for people to try to get. I think it would be good to have other random "events" to break the farming/grinding. But please keep in mind people in other timezones on the other side of the planet when doing such events :)

The Halloween stuff was nice, although I pretty much missed it since I started playing around when it was ending. I'm sure people would welcome a similar thing for Christmas.

But I think what could help break the grinding even more is to have events/quests? related to PvP and CTF. Does anybody even play CTF?

MoarPewPew
12-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Well what I am going to say is...

Some of the bigger mmo's are much more complex than Pocket Legends.
Pocket Legends right is designed for mobile. The mobile devices are no were even close to handleing large scale mmorpg games that contain astonishing game mechanics. If Pocket Legends was built for the PC only we could be seeing much more complex levels and game mechanics.

STS does have the capabilities to make crazy ground breaking game mechanics on the PC but they went with a different amazing feat. (first mobile mmorpg)

Now this being said, STS made this game for casual use. I think they anticipated that people would play is a few hours a week at most. But, lots of people play this game nonstop. This caused people getting bored easily because you can hit 50 in a few days.
What bugs me is when people say I'm bored of farming or it's too easy. :) This game is not supposed to be that complex. (or atleast right now) If you get bored of farming or you got everything you want in game, take a break. This will allow you to find another game for awhile and try it out and come back to Pocket Legends when newer content is released. (this will make the game feel less old)

Last, STS has an amazing Support team and dev team. Not many game developers stay in touch with the community. But STS does an amazing job with this. *cough* Cinco. (JustG you too, but you really need to pay Cinco more :) )
I could be spending my $$ on large scale mmorpgs but I choose PL because of the great community and dev team.

(but the PC version may change the complexity)

Cascade
12-10-2010, 06:34 PM
ONE WORD!: QUESTS! We need more in depth quests that are more than just repetitively killing bosses or mobs...I have pushed and pushed on this subject for forever but, the devs keep making repetitive quests...No offence devs you guys rock =)

MoarPewPew
12-10-2010, 06:38 PM
ONE WORD!: QUESTS! We need more in depth quests that are more than just repetitively killing bosses or mobs...I have pushed and pushed on this subject for forever but, the devs keep making repetitive quests...No offence devs you guys rock =)

Did you read what I posted before you???

Darkchylde
12-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Infinity blade i agree been goin crazy with that game ,,, i played dungeon hunter an dungeon hunter 2 came out so im playin that a little ..but i hav to say i really wanna see dungeon defenders with the unreal engine an its online too i think ....

noobmigo
12-10-2010, 07:31 PM
It's going to be EXTREMELY hard for the devs to change PL from a casual game to a real mmo. the way they started, like the other guy said, it was meant for casual few hours a week gameplay. but lotsa people play it nonsttop. The skiill tree is just not good enough. the plot of the quests is just not good enough. If they want to make it a real mmo, they would have to overturn the whole system, which would lead to a lot of people complaining that it is too hard to change. those same people will probably be the ones in the future complaining about the depth of thte game.

Djinn80
12-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Man - hit lvl 50 and then create a new character. It is mind numbing to play these "quests" over and over and running through the same maps over and over just to level isn't fun either. The game needs more connectivity with other players - something to make PVP or Capture the Flag more fun. Most people play these games to be powerful so they can fight others and test their skill. Then again, some just like the escape from reality.

I like PL b/c it isn't "too addictive" like WoW or some of the other big games.

Lesrider
12-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Just a quick post cuz I gotta run.

I noticed that I don't play much these days unless I'm ready to devote at least an hr or two to the game. It wasn't like this before ao3. I would always jump on for a bit here and there. But now that I have a group of friends I farm often with, I don't like to just go on, play a bit and leave (I did that just now, one round of keeper OL and hurt, and I felt like I was abandoning them lol). I personally am finding it harder to go on for a bit at a time. Or to multitasking while playing. So if I don't feel I can devote a lot of time, I just play other games or go on the forums -- bc they don't require all my attention for a long period of time.

I'm not sure how to solve this, as it's the multiplayer aspect which is so great and yet also causesthis problem for me.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to analyze.

MoarPewPew
12-10-2010, 09:18 PM
It's going to be EXTREMELY hard for the devs to change PL from a casual game to a real mmo. the way they started, like the MoarPewPew said, it was meant for casual few hours a week gameplay. but lotsa people play it nonsttop. The skiill tree is just not good enough. the plot of the quests is just not good enough. If they want to make it a real mmo, they would have to overturn the whole system, which would lead to a lot of people complaining that it is too hard to change. those same people will probably be the ones in the future complaining about the depth of thte game.

The other guy agrees :) Fixed