PDA

View Full Version : Solo Elite Caves of Tarewa....Initial Thoughts

GoodSyntax
03-28-2014, 11:55 AM
OK, so like a dope, I copied the screenie to the clipboard and left the map. When I went to paste the image into the editor, I discovered that instead of Print Screen, I hit Scroll Lock.

So, without the screenie, you'll just have to take my word that the run took about 34 minutes to solo.

Basically, my thought is that this is a near-impossible map to solo. I was shocked at how difficult it was right off the bat. Immediately, you are faced with 3 snakes, shielded shaman and an annoying whelp that wants to join the parade. If you even dream of soloing this thing prepare for some deaths, because that's what it will take. I found the best strategy here is to plow straight ahead and into the corner where the spiders are, then allow yourself to die (make sure the snakes and shaman are following). While the mobs are resetting, you can do a free respawn and get a few seconds where you can attack the totem without fending off attacks.

With the shield down, all I can suggest is to run in circles, cycling between Aimed and Nox, potting viciously while moving (get used to this, you will be doing it a lot!). As you progress, it is really, really important to pick off one or two mobs at a time. Anytime you aggro a group, you must reset them - the limited space and hard hitting mobs are simply too much to overcome.

Continue working your way around, separating mobs as best you can. With the variation of mob types in this map, all you can really separate are the snakes from the spiders/whelps. Even so, handling just snakes without being pummeled by an army of melee mobs will ease the pressure just a little bit.

Keep working your way towards the boss chamber, being really, really careful with aggro and range.

Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed to learn that a strategy which I discovered in parties does not work when solo, but I'll give you the basics of it anyway, since I do feel it will help a lot in party.

Corner and Park Strategy:
This strategy only works with a party, and it requires a sacrifice. While it may mean one death for someone, ultimately, it will save many deaths. The last two corridors before you get into the boss chamber are packed full of mobs and shielded shamans. The strategy here is that a hero, Tank preferably, but anyone that can pot quickly and take a lot of hits will suffice, will pull everything in the corridor and run them back into the far corner. It is important to get as many mobs to cluster into this corner as you can. As long as a party member is alive, when you die, these mobs will not reset! Effectively, you can park 20-30 mobs into the corner, so the rest of your party can continue with a clean run to the next corridor. See screenie for example (and note all the mobs being parked into the corner in the mini-map).

Clear everything up to the last two corridors, and use this strategy, it actually makes the run with a party somewhat pedestrian.

When doing the second Corner and Park, go all the way into the boss chamber and, if the boss has already spawned, pull in all of the little spiders that appear. If the boss is already there, these additional spiders are a distraction, so park them.

For me, however, Corner and Park did not apply. So, I rushed in, aggroing everything, which forces all the spiders to spawn, then reset them all. This leaves all the spawned spiders positioned so I can pick them off one, by one. The last two, hiding behind the boss, were a bit of an annoyance. I was able to hug the wall and go into the space on the right of the boss without aggro, and from there I was able to snipe one of the two remaining mini-spiders. The final one, I just dealt with while fending off the boss.

The boss himself is relatively easy. I hugged the walls, avoiding his cocoon attack. The reason why I used the walls is so when his poison pools are shot, they clustered into the corners, so I had a clear space to work with. Fortunately, the poison pools don't hit that hard and do clear eventually, but they debuff your attacks, so try to avoid them if you can.

An interesting note, by the way, at the starting point, the spiders in the room straight ahead hit like elite spiders, but have the armor and HP of regular spiders. For this reason alone, I suggest you take the opportunity to clear them out. It will save you about 5-6 kills needed to spawn the boss.

I wish I wasn't such a dunce, and had the screenie, because I don't think I will solo this again for a while.

utpal
03-28-2014, 12:06 PM
ah atlast the 4th map strategy guide. well done

and the suicide technique to destroy totem is jst awesme.
didnt thought about tht.
thanks for the tip and screenies
Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

GoodSyntax
03-28-2014, 08:41 PM
I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been any feedback, positive or negative, regarding my Corner and Park strategy.

Has anyone (other than me) used this yet?

Azemen
03-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Well I'll try after I cap. which Tindirin map is the easiest to solo based on your first impressions?

GoodSyntax
03-29-2014, 12:35 AM
Well I'll try after I cap. which Tindirin map is the easiest to solo based on your first impressions?

Easiest would be Tribal Abomination...at least, if you use the separation tactics I keep talking about. I think it is definitely the easiest of the Tindirin maps to solo. The long walk is a pain in the neck, but that is the only real challenge there. The Wilds is another good map for soloing, but I just think Abomination is a bit easier because you don't have to clear as many mobs.

Don't do the spider...the entire map can be classified under borderline impossible for a Rogue. It was not fun....actually, I think it was more difficult to solo this, than it was to solo Skull Cove back in the day. Skull Cove used to take longer, but I felt constantly threatened and under pressure here. At least Skull Cove gave you plenty of space to maneuver and reposition, these maps really don't because if you take a step too far in any direction, you aggro another pack of mobs.

And, after a bunch of runs to square off against Rendtail....I'm not sure if it's even possible to beat him solo. Getting to him is one thing - I can probably make it, but once there, pretty much anything that he does one-hits me, so I just don't know if it is something that is achievable right now.

Madnex
03-30-2014, 08:57 PM
Nice work! I've mentally prepared my kd for soloing elites so I'll probably try these out soon. Thanks for tips. :)

Just one thing about the kamikaze strategy. If you're fast enough you can avoid the kill *and* keep the desirable aggro. Instead of walking in there and allowing yourself to die, try this:
1. Position yourself just a bit before the mobs you want to aggro.
2. Calculate the distance you'll need to cover and the path you will take in your mind (should be easy).
3. After visualising it in your head and testing it (still in your head), pop the map open!!
4. Tap the Tindirin campaign once and place your mouse over the map you're currently in.
5. Charge razor if you have or pot like you're trying to beat the speed of sound while making your way to the corner.
6. When you think the job is done, quickly right click and fwooop! The magic will get you back at spawn saving a death.

This is for chrome btw, on phone it's better to accept the fact you picked the short straw and get it done with (lol).

GoodSyntax
03-30-2014, 09:37 PM
o.O

I never thought to try to reload the map to get back to the beginning :-)

Glasveena
03-31-2014, 05:15 AM
Nice guide :)
My friend taught me about the corner and park strategy before.
We used it for elite Skull Cove, Oltgar, Valheim, Ashtral Tower.
This strategy is nice if we feel our gears are not good enough, I got no mythic at lvl 31 and 36.
We were not strong enough to fight too many mobs at once.
It can also be used if we want to kill just enough mobs before boss can spawn. :)
Love to use it anywhere when we feel the mobs are too hard.

I gotta be careful with piercer though.
Sometimes I accidentally used piercer right the moment all mobs were cleared.
The parking place was not very far, so i pierced to the direction of the parking place.
Got chased by mobs and die. XP

Glasveena
03-31-2014, 05:25 AM
What weapon do you use? bow or dagger?
Thank you :)

baddiva
03-31-2014, 05:34 AM
I've been trying to sacrifice my stats and boost speed and dodge to be able to park the mobs, using razor and whim/mccraw pet.. The results is approx. 60% fail - 40% succeed. :/.. it is very painful to go back and forth each time I want to kill 1 monster (assumed solo run)... It really need practices and lots of time spend for trial and error to find the safe 'aggro-point'.

Sometimes I use fishing techniques. I pull a group of mobs, and just before they reach their reset point, I use pierce to one of them, so they'll stay there and the rest are returning to their spawn location. Common tindirin mobs reset distance is approx 3x length of aimed shot.

GoodSyntax
03-31-2014, 06:10 AM
What weapon do you use? bow or dagger?
Thank you :)

I use bows most of the time for the added DMG. I only use daggers on lower level elites and normal map runs.