PDA

View Full Version : scams and how to avoid them

xroxinex
04-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Hi xroxinex here this thread is about what scams there are and how to avoid them I will list detailed descriptions

Drop the digits: It is the one where the buyer drops a digit in the trade window....so 1111111 becomes 111111 This is an old scam, but it is still a problem....and will continue to be a problem until commas are added to the trade window. Tips r just to count the numbers carefully

Selling plat:see here's the truth..PLAT CANNOT BE SOLD..I suggest u ignore them.and say plat can't be sold. That's what the buy platinum and free platinum buttons are for
Example: Person1: says selling plat pm me
Person2: might say oh I want plat
Random person: plat can't be sold its a scam
Person 2: oh thank you!
Hopefully the victim listens. To the advice given or you will get scammed

Selling gold: GOLD CAN'T BE SOLD idk who would fall for this. you won't even get your gold you'l. Just be giving them. Some what's the point if your trading gold for gold
Example : person 1:selling GOLD!
Person 2:I want some gold!
Random person:it's a scam
Listen to the random person

Selling account: see here's the thing you can instantly banned for this. Some people might just give it to you some might not. Here's an example
Person 1 says selling account pm me
Person 2 says how much you want
Person 1 says 100k
Person 2 trades and confirms trade
Person 2 says what's the info
Person 1 will either run away or give you the wrong info
Just lvl. Yourself it's better than being scammed also it says DO NOT SHARE YOUR ACCOUNT INFO!! I advise you to listen to that

CAN I BORROW THIS?: ok so someone asks u to borrow a really expensive item such as black druid. Set.you gig it to he/she and say give it back.in 10 min..they run off and deleted u as friend.. I advise u not to give anyone ur. stuff even people u trust can scam u

Mass boot from guild: ok suppose you promote an officer of some sort and then go offline. You go online later and all ur guild members are not In guild..
advice:careful who you promote quiz them interview them befor. U promote

Royal Switch: Sanguine Royal names do not contain "top", "legs", or "hat" in the name. Scammer offers to trade one royal piece and adds a less expensive piece in the trade window.
Example : person 1: Trade my Royal Crown for your Gamer
Person 2: Okay
In Trade Window, Person 1 adds Royal skirt instead of crown.
Advice is stick to Auction House when buying Royals or only trade with people you trust.
Drop

Moderator or developer impersonator: this scam is when someone tries to impersonate a mod or dev.They do that so they can try to take ur items. always remember a mod has a GREEN name and a dev has a RED name while we bave light blue name.

ill ban you/or report you: say a lower lvl wants some cool rare items and you say no.They might use this technique as a bluff or they might rlly report.My advice to this scam is to just take a screenshot of the chat and report it to sts.

Money cheat: Suppose a person an item in pubic chat they will say “give me rare items and ill show you the money cheat!”. well guess what this cheat ISNT REAL so dont give ur item for a persons lie.
------------------------------------------
Things like this aren't scams
------------------------------
Begging: some people just want stuf. So badly that they beg but trust me it's not.a scam. U can resolve this by ressing. The magic button(mute)

Spamming : suppose someones bored and they want to spam the time away. spamming is wen someone says same thing over and over repeatedly. like begging just press the mute button

Hope this helps,xroxinex

Fyrce
04-01-2014, 06:26 PM
See this:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?137292-Guide-Scams-Avoiding-Scams-and-What-to-do-if-You-are-Scammed

xroxinex
04-01-2014, 06:28 PM
0_0 I didn't see that
I spent my time writing this for nothing then :(

DivineMyth
04-02-2014, 10:04 AM
0_0 I didn't see that

Nuuu its a good refresher ^^

doomdoomdoom
04-02-2014, 11:51 AM
0_0 I didn't see that

The link Fyrce posted was under AL...so I would have never seen it. So thank you.

xroxinex
04-02-2014, 12:02 PM
Hai. Doom!

Fyrce
04-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Yeah, it's fine. I think there're several of those guides. Refresher is good.

doomdoomdoom
04-02-2014, 12:06 PM
There is another scam I don't see on your list or the list Fyrce posted (because it is DL specific). Maybe you want to add it to your list.

Royal Switch: Sanguine Royal names do not contain "top", "legs", or "hat" in the name. Scammer offers to trade one royal piece and adds a less expensive piece in the trade window.
Example : person 1: Trade my Royal Crown for your Gamer
Person 2: Okay
In Trade Window, Person 1 adds Royal skirt instead of crown.
Advice is stick to Auction House when buying Royals or only trade with people you trust.

Note this one could be avoided if STS corrected the names of these items. I submitted a Request for them to do so a while back here:
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?137821-Incorrect-icon-and-ambiguous-naming-of-Royal-Sanguine-set-is-being-exploited

xroxinex
04-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Thanks doom it has Been added

doomdoomdoom
04-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Thanks doom it has Been added

Thanks and Hi! ^_^

xroxinex
04-02-2014, 01:24 PM
I'll be on dl. Tmrw. Ok ^_^

xroxinex
04-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Can someone move this to dl guides please

VladHaund
04-26-2014, 08:57 AM
One does not simply buy Platinum coins from players.
There is no such thing is cloning an item, tell them to buzz off.
If they ask you for your credit card, tell them you're an FBI agent.

Be wise, fight the scammers and never get fooled.
Once you get fooled, you can't ask for your things back.

Gradualism
05-05-2014, 10:25 AM
I havent been scammed, but I noticed a new scamming method used on me today:

IGN Ipwnyouz contacted me in Paradise Pier, said he wanted to buy my Magma Totem og Potency for 500k. My magma was in auc, so I guess he saw my IGN there. I said ok and went to cancel my magma totem in auction to get it out and ready for trade. When I returned, he was gone, and he had logged off - and cancelled our friendship in social. When I returned to auc, I saw the same user had just put up another magma of potency same as mine.

So his "scam" was to make me pull out my item in auction, so he could list his own (more expensive) item at 500k. Mine was listed at 425k.

Not a real scam, but still, its irritating for me having spent +20k on a 425k listing that he made me cancel thinking we should trade.

Its now my mission to find and report him. IGN Ipwnyouz, beware!

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

xroxinex
05-05-2014, 11:57 AM
If i may say why bother reporting i mean it isn't a scam you still have your item he didn't steal it

Gradualism
05-05-2014, 03:31 PM
True. I would like to let him know what a sucky move that is though.

Edit: no cursing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xroxinex
05-05-2014, 04:09 PM
You should edit that sentence lol (u cant curse on forums)but i get what u mean but i got hacked twice -.-

Warlord0520
05-06-2014, 02:57 PM
this isent a scam, stop making it such a big deal

DivineMyth
05-07-2014, 10:14 AM
I havent been scammed, but I noticed a new scamming method used on me today:

IGN Ipwnyouz contacted me in Paradise Pier, said he wanted to buy my Magma Totem og Potency for 500k. My magma was in auc, so I guess he saw my IGN there. I said ok and went to cancel my magma totem in auction to get it out and ready for trade. When I returned, he was gone, and he had logged off - and cancelled our friendship in social. When I returned to auc, I saw the same user had just put up another magma of potency same as mine.

So his "scam" was to make me pull out my item in auction, so he could list his own (more expensive) item at 500k. Mine was listed at 425k.

Not a real scam, but still, its irritating for me having spent +20k on a 425k listing that he made me cancel thinking we should trade.

Its now my mission to find and report him. IGN Ipwnyouz, beware!

i dont think that is necessarily a scam

Gradualism
05-07-2014, 10:32 AM
i dont think that is necessarily a scam

Yes its not a real scam, simply bad behavior. I just had not experienced this "move" before, and would like to make other players aware. Its not something worth reporting over, and its not something to rule against (since its impossible to uphold such a rule).

So the only way is to inform others that some players will cheat and lie to you like this to further their own cause.

doomdoomdoom
06-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Just realized this scam is not on your list yet:
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?78338-Scammer-Alert-Look-Fors

It is the one where the buyer drops a digit in the trade window....so 1111111 becomes 111111

This is an old scam, but it is still a problem....and will continue to be a problem until commas are added to the trade window.

Jblazer
07-03-2014, 03:05 AM
Just count 3 and put the commas in your head :P

Kornsen
07-03-2014, 08:30 AM
Just count 3 and put the commas in your head :P

It would never have occurred to me. Thank you very much. Count to three... just awesome.

Rosybuds
07-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Yea comma's would help I got the tablet 3cms away from my face trying too count out whats their lol..

doomdoomdoom
07-03-2014, 12:20 PM
lol....And some people are playing on phones with tiny screens. What often happens is people are really careful to count all the 1s, but then the seller backs up a screen to add an cheap item to the trade (excuse is to make room in their inventory for the new item) and when they do they also dropped a 1. The buyer might not realize the trade amount changed.

Rosybuds
07-04-2014, 10:09 AM
lol....And some people are playing on phones with tiny screens. What often happens is people are really careful to count all the 1s, but then the seller backs up a screen to add an cheap item to the trade (excuse is to make room in their inventory for the new item) and when they do they also dropped a 1. The buyer might not realize the trade amount changed.

Ohh never thought about anyone doing that !!! Thanks for that one Doom :) keep counting then lol ..

xroxinex
07-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Kk thx doom ill add

xroxinex
07-10-2014, 04:09 PM
UPDATE: added 4 new scams to my list

drop the digit
moderator or developer impersonator
ill ban/report you
money cheat

if u see that im missing some feel free to post it and ill add

-xroxinex

Eiser
07-15-2014, 05:38 AM

Was a victim if this. Grr..

Eiser
07-15-2014, 05:40 AM
I thought it was my mistake even if i counted carefully the 1s, but never knew this was really their technique! Thanks for the info Doom and also rovine for the tips.

doomdoomdoom
07-15-2014, 01:01 PM
I thought it was my mistake even if i counted carefully the 1s, but never knew this was really their technique! Thanks for the info Doom and also rovine for the tips.

Sorry to hear you got scammed this way. I know a lot of people that have been cheated like that.