PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Names

TheAnonymous
12-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Currently what is being done with people with offensive names? Can these names be reported?

I have seen names along the lines of

DaddyTouchedMe
MyWhoore
Variations of genital parts done so they aren't simply just spelled out

I understand people choosing their own name as they wish but I am sure they could have picked a much less offensive name.

Is Spacetime Studios doing anything to curve this recent issue? Are you going to force renames on their characters?

icantgetkills
12-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Send this to support@spacetimestudios.com

To report any offensive name or language

Seratonin
12-13-2010, 05:18 PM
I would sift through the list of thousands of names personally to get rid of these people. I had "daddytouchedme" pop into my game, and all I said was... "Awkward." Then boot. Yes I would spend hours of my life for free to have the vulgar/nasty named players removed, so if you want to take advantage of this offer devs, I am serious about this. No charge, willing to read through the thousands, just to make the community a better place. <3

lce
12-13-2010, 05:20 PM
The offensive name should have been filtered in the first place but people always find a way around it

Sigkill
12-13-2010, 05:21 PM
get a life kid, we aren't 10 years old to report names anymore thats just lame.......... and Why would you want to report people anyways thats the dumbest thing ever.

-look at my sig-

StompArtist
12-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Well that is what I was thinking about earlier... before I saw your post. For example your "bowjobs" is just plain funny to me and anyone who thinks further than throwing arrows already knows what this is about anyways. On the other hand, "TouchingKids" for example is clearly offensive! What I am trying to say is that it is really hard in some cases to draw the line vs other cases where it's just plain obvious... I dunno must be difficult for the PL people to keep up with all the complaints.

Justg
12-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Actually, we DO want the names reported. This remains a game that a lot of kids play. We go to great lengths to keep our little corner of the world as safe as possible for them.

So please behave in game, and let us know who is not.

KingFu
12-13-2010, 05:28 PM
get a life kid, we aren't 10 years old to report names anymore thats just lame.......... and Why would you want to report people anyways thats the dumbest thing ever.

-look at my sig-

Dude, chill, seriously. The devs want us to report them. Kids play this game, and people think they're all cool naming their characters horrible names, and some times, VERY offensive, and racial. So he's doing everyone a favor. It's not childish to report people with inappropriate names, it's childish to name your characters inappropriate and horrible names.

icantgetkills
12-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Well offensive names which there are many just ignore so many like s***t f******k all those.... They're usually like lvl 1-18 and don't go any further into the game except for some my friend has a lvl 1 acc called c*** :/

edit: dude - if it's not okay in the game, its not okay here

icantgetkills
12-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Dude, chill, seriously. The devs want us to report them. Kids play this game, and people think they're all cool naming their characters horrible names, and some times, VERY offensive, and racial. So he's doing everyone a favor. It's not childish to report people with inappropriate names, it's childish to name your characters inappropriate and horrible names.

+1. Lol u always nail it mystic :p

KingFu
12-13-2010, 05:32 PM
+1. Lol u always nail it mystic :p

Mother would be proud;)

StompArtist
12-13-2010, 05:34 PM
So... what happens to offensive names accounts? Do they get to be renamed or banned?

KingFu
12-13-2010, 05:41 PM
So... what happens to offensive names accounts? Do they get to be renamed or banned?

Both I believe. I'm pretty sure if it's very offensive. It's ban for good. If it's just inappropriate. Temp ban, and they rename it I think to something that is similar to there name, but not inappropriate. They might even lock the ability for the person to rename their character. Thats just a guess though.

JonDaDon
12-13-2010, 05:54 PM
meh... bowjobz is funny as hell

TheAnonymous
12-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Once again I brought this topic up not because they offend me but it could offend others and last I checked kids under the age of 18 do and can play this game. I don't know of any game that would want their society to be known as full of racist/vulgar/offensive names as it will just make people believe the dev team just don't care about the game as they allow anyone to create whatever they want and also behave however they want.

You can tell by most of these people they picked it just to be offensive or because they are immature as they have taken the time to go around the system and create the name that isn't blocked.

TwinkTastical
12-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Actually, we DO want the names reported. This remains a game that a lot of kids play. We go to great lengths to keep our little corner of the world as safe as possible for them.

So please behave in game, and let us know who is not.

What are "kids" give us an age.

StompArtist
12-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Once again I brought this topic up not because they offend me but it could offend others and last I checked kids under the age of 18 do and can play this game. I don't know of any game that would want their society to be known as full of racist/vulgar/offensive names as it will just make people believe the dev team just don't care about the game as they allow anyone to create whatever they want and also behave however they want.

You can tell by most of these people they picked it just to be offensive or because they are immature as they have taken the time to go around the system and create the name that isn't blocked.

I don't know what to think... I have seen names that def need reporting and others that I am not too sure about. I am quite certain that clearly offensive names get taken care of but some of them can be offensive to a group and not to another... I guess it's PL peeps call when it comes down to it. Dunno. Must be a nightmare to deal with!

TheAnonymous
12-13-2010, 06:05 PM
I don't know what to think... I have seen names that def need reporting and others that I am not too sure about. I am quite certain that clearly offensive names get taken care of but some of them can be offensive to a group and not to another... I guess it's PL peeps call when it comes down to it. Dunno. Must be a nightmare to deal with!

Well I think anything that would be offensive would be any derogatory,racist,foul language,or anything related to illegal activities, or could bring a bad name on the game / company itself but again thats just my thought.

TheAnonymous
12-13-2010, 06:06 PM
This is a game and really what need do you have anyways to pick an offensive name? Is it for attention ? Maybe thinking it will get you friends and items in the game? I just don't see the logic in doing it in the first place and I hope the ones doing it are under the age of 18.

StompArtist
12-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Well I think anything that would be offensive would be any derogatory,racist,foul language,or anything related to illegal activities, or could bring a bad name on the game / company itself but again thats just my thought.

Would "DrugDealer" be offensive? (not trying to antagonize you here just trying to play Devil's advocate a bit... Don't get me wrong I completely agree with you that some names need to be reported I am just thinking about how difficult it must be for PL to deal with the reporting as well as the random reporting of non offensive names).

TheAnonymous
12-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Would "DrugDealer" be offensive? (not trying to antagonize you here just trying to play Devil's advocate a bit... Don't get me wrong I completely agree with you that some names need to be reported I am just thinking about how difficult it must be for PL to deal with the reporting as well as the random reporting of non offensive names).

I would not say this would be offensive to me but if "DrugDealer" was blocked by the name creation tool and you named your character DrugDealler or something you would be going around the ruleset on the character creation and I would think would be against the rules. Once again the devs might have another opinion on someone using the name DrugDealer.

I completely agree where you are coming from StompArtist but I would rather see someone named DrugDealer than names of humans privates or ones that are clearly there to test the limits of people and the devs.

I mean I would also love to see some naming structure on top of removing the offensive names so we could get rid of the aaaaaaaaaaaaa oooowowowowowow type of names where they just mashed their keyboard ( I think those ones should be just renamed not actually banned ) but that is just my view on things.

Seratonin
12-13-2010, 06:26 PM
I would love to report, but I dont know how to take screenshots on my phone... Samsung Captivate 2.1

KingFu
12-13-2010, 06:27 PM
I would love to report, but I dont know how to take screenshots on my phone... Samsung Captivate 2.1

Hit the report button? I think when the devs see the name, they'll notice. I think. Since report is mainly for inappropriate behavior. Whether a machine scans though the messages or a dev idk. Lol

TheAnonymous
12-13-2010, 06:39 PM

If your using Android you can download for free from Market an application called ShootMe once running and installed you just shake your phone to have it save the current screenshot to your sdcard.

Zeus
12-13-2010, 06:58 PM
I believe there was a forum member and game member on here with the name of Icumblood. This was when the community was small and everybody knew him and was disgusted by the name. Eventually dev's found out and renamed him Ibleedblood, I don't think he got banned. I assume this is what will happen if it is your first offense.

KingFu
12-13-2010, 07:08 PM
I believe there was a forum member and game member on here with the name of Icumblood. This was when the community was small and everybody knew him and was disgusted by the name. Eventually dev's found out and renamed him Ibleedblood, I don't think he got banned. I assume this is what will happen if it is your first offense.

I remember him. He got banned for 24 hours. I've seen facebook posts saying how people got banned for 24 hours due to a dirty name, I think offensive names. I've seen some horrible ones referring to jewish people, they get pretty horrible, those people get banned for good I believe. And they should.

thugimmortal
12-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Well that is what I was thinking about earlier... before I saw your post. For example your "bowjobs" is just plain funny to me and anyone who thinks further than throwing arrows already knows what this is about anyways. On the other hand, "TouchingKids" for example is clearly offensive! What I am trying to say is that it is really hard in some cases to draw the line vs other cases where it's just plain obvious... I dunno must be difficult for the PL people to keep up with all the complaints.

Sounds like a peado to me and theres nothing i hate more

im on about that touchingkids its sick if i see him i will give him a piece of my mind

Seratonin
12-13-2010, 07:23 PM
If your using Android you can download for free from Market an application called ShootMe once running and installed you just shake your phone to have it save the current screenshot to your sdcard.

I'm going to go check this out now! thanks!

Alterra
12-13-2010, 07:24 PM
The obvious offensive names are banned. I never seen a really bad ign on twice. On one day and gone the next. = banned imo and should be.

Im sure my ign is offensive to some but idt i should be banned for it. My friend has a toon called ihateualldie and one called iloveuall. Many people have names they like but might offend the next person.

Points is the truely offensive ign's are banned and they will continued to be banned.

Seratonin
12-13-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm going to go check this out now! thanks!

Fail! I don't have root access. How can I achieve root access? Google will surely find out for me!

Update: It seems like a whole lot of work to do that, and I don't want to screw it up.

TOASTYTorpedo
12-13-2010, 08:08 PM
wait you guys can't seriously be caring this much about names? this is ridiculous. how offensive can these names actually be if they aren't targeting a specific group of people?? honestly quit brown-nosing. this isn't runescape... STS isn't going to make anyone a forum mod!

Seratonin
12-13-2010, 08:09 PM
It's not about forum moderation, more than it's about improving the environment for suitable players....

Zeus
12-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Toasty, its because kids play this game and when they see names like these their young minds get corrupted. I wouldn't want my child to be running around saying words he doesn't completely understand. Well, now that I think about it.... any child of mine would probably be an abomination. Jokes...

KingFu
12-13-2010, 08:11 PM
wait you guys can't seriously be caring this much about names? this is ridiculous. how offensive can these names actually be if they aren't targeting a specific group of people?? honestly quit brown-nosing. this isn't runescape... STS isn't going to make anyone a forum mod!

Are you serious? You don't see how if kids are playing this it could be a problem? I am sure the devs are professional enough to not want some of that stuff in their games. I don't see how you can possible call this ridiculous. What is ridiculous is that someone would name their characters those names....

TOASTYTorpedo
12-13-2010, 08:14 PM
No hard feelings here, but i'm just having a hard time believing that this many people actually truly dislike "offensive" names. In my opinion, the names listed in the initial post did not target any single group of people. But if people are actually against this, then so be it.

KingFu
12-13-2010, 08:16 PM
No hard feelings here, but i'm just having a hard time believing that this many people actually truly dislike "offensive" names. In my opinion, the names listed in the initial post did not target any single group of people. But if people are actually against this, then so be it.

Someone can easily get offended by sexual names such as that. Think about the possibilities. None the less, kids play, why should STS be held responsible for kids knowing that kind of stuff?

TheAnonymous
12-13-2010, 08:20 PM

Look at it from a company point of view not just our point of view. This game allows kids of all ages to be part of the world and granted most of the people using these names are either immature, young themselves, or just coming to harrass people and don't plan on paying for the game / development or whatever reason it maybe. I for one contribute to the development of the game with buying plat and I also have kids which if I knew the game allowed this kind of stuff I would probably leave and also not let them play it.

This isn't runescape your correct and I hope it never reaches to that level and with controls like not allowing people to spam random offensive stuff or use offensive names it shouldn't get to that level.

If your going to stand up for the offensive names and offensive language/actions in the game give a reason why you are doing so. What does having a offensive name or using offensive language/actions in game actually get you that you couldn't get not having a normal / non offensive name?

TOASTYTorpedo
12-13-2010, 08:21 PM
fine, fine; I have seen the light, I take it back...
I guess what my point is that players shouldn't be held responsible for creating these "offensive" names. If the name makes it past the initial naming filter, then it is valid. I understand that it could be a good idea for devs to update the filter but as for people who already have names that violate it, they shouldn't be banned (just a simple rename).
Also, I can see why using double letters to spell otherwise invalid words is a little snide... but honestly "dadtouchedme" is not really a big deal.

*Hope I didn't hurt your feelings* ^^

Balonia
12-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Umm I have seen some very offensive ones and this is balonia speaking....

Varking
12-13-2010, 08:37 PM
I saw somebody just last night running around using the "n word" just spelled slightly different. I reported them but I was shocked the guy had already made it past level 20. Call me a brown noser but I just dislike that sort of thing. Most names don't offend me but when we start targeting races or groups of people it needs to be reported.

TOASTYTorpedo
12-13-2010, 08:38 PM
^ See now I completely agree with this. Names that target a specific group are unacceptable and no i will not call you a brown noser.

TheAnonymous
12-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Right now theres a game being ran in CTK called Fu****'s Game and yes the ****'* are in the game title.

Seratonin
12-13-2010, 08:45 PM
fine, fine; I have seen the light, I take it back...
I guess what my point is that players shouldn't be held responsible for creating these "offensive" names. If the name makes it past the initial naming filter, then it is valid. I understand that it could be a good idea for devs to update the filter but as for people who already have names that violate it, they shouldn't be banned (just a simple rename).
Also, I can see why using double letters to spell otherwise invalid words is a little snide... but honestly "dadtouchedme" is not really a big deal.

*Hope I didn't hurt your feelings* ^^

And what do you think would happen if a kid playing saw that guy come into his game, and something horrible had happened to him, even though he is out of that situation(hopefully) How then do you think that would make that one person feel? It's not about kissing up or brown-nosing, it's about ethics and hostile environment. Honestly, if some young kid saw a guy playing a char named something vulgar, they would ask questions, or use the term. It's an imprint... It's just like sexual harrassment in the workplace... It's not about how you think your name should be taken, it's all about how others take it. If you get reported for having a vulgar name because you can't think of something so easy as a name for a fantasy character, or you just thought it would be cute or funny, then you deserve it. There is no excuse to be putting ignorant vulgar crap in front of everyone. None whatsoever. That's why there is a random name generator. If you can't think of something that's not vulgar or rude for a name, then use it.

It's not about how you feel about it, it's how others feel about it. Plain and simple. If you don't like it, then you should also understand that every character, and every name in the game, and all of the items and gold, ALL OF IT, is the personal property of Spacetime Studios. That's how it is in ANY MMORPG. You don't "own" any of it, they are letting you play the game. It is a joy to have a game that can be played on almost any platform now, and to have 10 or 20 people making rude, offensive names to ruin the experience for the rest of the players should never be allowed. Driving customers off is not a good way to stay in business. Keeping the masses happy is more important than what some immature idiot's point of view on how their name should be taken.

Balonia
12-13-2010, 08:49 PM
During day, there are a group of German players with pro- Nazi names. They creep me out.

Inching
12-13-2010, 08:55 PM
As we were all mostly here from the beginning and we are what made this game today … It’s a social responsible thing to do in reporting offensive names, language, etc. You don’t have to do it, but its just the socially responsible to do it.

I have reported a guy who got banned because he was yelling in town racial slurs and I thought it was disgusting.

Its like if you see a person hanging off a cliff and you are walking by, you don’t need to help him but you should.

TheAnonymous
12-13-2010, 09:01 PM
After reading the responses so far this is exactly why I love this game. What an amazing community with none of the immature drama.

Seratonin
12-13-2010, 09:03 PM
After reading the responses so far this is exactly why I love this game. What an amazing community with none of the immature drama.

/Sarcasm? ANY online community that has ever existed has had some sort of immature drama somewhere, at sometime. But we aren't going to let that kill the community. =p

TOASTYTorpedo
12-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Ok Seratonin, I understand that you are trying to keep me from single handedly destroying PL and completely ruining STS's franchise and that is very honorable of you...

But, have you ever considered that your name sounds awfully close to "serotonin"? Let me explain: serotonin is a hormone primarily found in the central nervous system and the gut. It is often associated with bringing good feelings to the body and is nicknamed the "happiness hormone". Now, many drugs such as LSD and prescribed narcotics are used to alter one's serotonin's levels; thus creating a psychedelic feeling or used to combat depression (this can be abused).
Is your name perhaps suggesting the use and abuse of certain narcotics to create a temporary feeling of happiness?
I sure wouldn't want my kids to be influenced by your "offensive" name. And maybe you don't think it is meant in this way. But keep in mind, "It's not about how you feel about it, it's how others feel about it. Plain and simple." I wonder who said that.

My point is, MMORPGs such as Pocket Legends require a certain level of maturity to play. A player should be able to determine that funny phrases or simple nouns or compound nouns are not necessarily meant to be offensive. Unless of course they involve intentional misspellings of clearly offensive words or racial slurs.

Think about it.

thugimmortal
12-13-2010, 09:10 PM

Exept this

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k628/thugimmortal/1292292273002.gif

who wants there to be a boss in the swamps
you can name him whatever

TheAnonymous
12-13-2010, 09:11 PM
/Sarcasm? ANY online community that has ever existed has had some sort of immature drama somewhere, at sometime. But we aren't going to let that kill the community. =p

Well there was a little sarcasm in there :) What I should have said there through was with a community and development team that makes it so we don't have the immature stuff killing the community. Pretty responsive development team which is always a good sign :)

Zeus
12-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Ok TOASTY, what you said about seratonin is completely different as that is a vocabulary word that only adults/mature, intelligent people will know. To the average kid that word will not come to them as being depreciating or vulgar in any way, unless he or she was to in some way to derive that word from that name, but if he was then he most definitely is not a kid, and is very mature for his age, THEN the issue would be invalid because of his mental capacity.

Sigkill
12-13-2010, 09:20 PM
lol i still say Bowjobzs is pretty damn funny, and definetly not innapropriate :D

Buddyf97
12-13-2010, 09:56 PM
I would sift through the list of thousands of names personally to get rid of these people. I had "daddytouchedme" pop into my game, and all I said was... "Awkward." Then boot. Yes I would spend hours of my life for free to have the vulgar/nasty named players removed, so if you want to take advantage of this offer devs, I am serious about this. No charge, willing to read through the thousands, just to make the community a better place. <3

I'll join you! We should be like the police! Haha... We should have police caps! XD

Seratonin
12-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Ok Seratonin, I understand that you are trying to keep me from single handedly destroying PL and completely ruining STS's franchise and that is very honorable of you...

But, have you ever considered that your name sounds awfully close to "serotonin"? Let me explain: serotonin is a hormone primarily found in the central nervous system and the gut. It is often associated with bringing good feelings to the body and is nicknamed the "happiness hormone". Now, many drugs such as LSD and prescribed narcotics are used to alter one's serotonin's levels; thus creating a psychedelic feeling or used to combat depression (this can be abused).
Is your name perhaps suggesting the use and abuse of certain narcotics to create a temporary feeling of happiness?
I sure wouldn't want my kids to be influenced by your "offensive" name. And maybe you don't think it is meant in this way. But keep in mind, "It's not about how you feel about it, it's how others feel about it. Plain and simple." I wonder who said that.

My point is, MMORPGs such as Pocket Legends require a certain level of maturity to play. A player should be able to determine that funny phrases or simple nouns or compound nouns are not necessarily meant to be offensive. Unless of course they involve intentional misspellings of clearly offensive words or racial slurs.

Think about it.
Now you're just fishing for a fight... I'm not going to fight.
I DID say that, and if my name offends you, then I WILL change my name. Plain and Simple. Why fight over something SO SO simple?! I don't have a problem changing it if someone does find it offensive. I have had no complaints yet though.

Seratonin
12-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Well there was a little sarcasm in there :) What I should have said there through was with a community and development team that makes it so we don't have the immature stuff killing the community. Pretty responsive development team which is always a good sign :)

My apologies =p I didn't know ;)

Seratonin
12-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Ok TOASTY, what you said about seratonin is completely different as that is a vocabulary word that only adults/mature, intelligent people will know. To the average kid that word will not come to them as being depreciating or vulgar in any way, unless he or she was to in some way to derive that word from that name, but if he was then he most definitely is not a kid, and is very mature for his age, THEN the issue would be invalid because of his mental capacity.

Exactly... Most people call me Sera for short...

Such a hot thread, and a very simple topic.

Offensive name? Report it! TOO easy.

TOASTYTorpedo
12-13-2010, 10:18 PM
No I don't think it is offensive, and I have no problem with it. It's just some people potentially could, that's all.
And I don't want to fight I just want to have my point clear.

Seratonin
12-13-2010, 10:28 PM
No I don't think it is offensive, and I have no problem with it. It's just some people potentially could, that's all.
And I don't want to fight I just want to have my point clear.

Just as someone could also find your name offensive. But the point is, until someone does, then you don't have to change it... When it becomes noticed, that's when it gets changed. I understand your point.

TwinkTastical
12-14-2010, 12:17 AM

Exactly, couldnt have said it better myself....

Edit: and kids already have pervy minds, due to the ****ed up school program D.A.R.E anything you say,will be turned into a drug reference.

bladesword
12-14-2010, 06:52 AM
I saw a guy named after a religion.
Also a guy named something*bible

*Something states that i forgot it, not the exact name "Somethingbible"

fostina1
12-14-2010, 09:19 AM
the droid changed my totally innocent fishing themed name "MastrBaitr" to "Lovmeeself". i was very dissapointed as the new name has nothing to do with fishing and makes me seem conceited. and now they want to charge me to change it to another name.

thugimmortal
12-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Fishing lol

what are you master of the bait

get real we know what u meant

Retributionzx
12-14-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm 15 and I simply I don't care about Ruid names. If your wondering I'm a teenage guy that's gets in trouble and says the f word a lot your wrong. Only when went in high I started saying those types of words ( tried to stop but it gets hard when your friends do it) Once you go to high you get use to it as all of you may no. I go to a good school and everyone doesn't care of you go crazy with the f's.

fostina1
12-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Fishing lol

what are you master of the bait

get real we know what u meant

i am the master of choosing the correct bait. it is a science.

FluffNStuff
12-14-2010, 10:46 AM
During day, there are a group of German players with pro- Nazi names. They creep me out.

If you are serious (So hard to tell with you ;) ) then let me know where and I will report them. I have reported racist or hate filled names before and have no problems doing it again. As for funny names, well I am usually to busy laughing to report em ...
Speaking of which, met AuntFlo in game and had to high five em!

Balonia
12-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Lol. Believe or not they really do. It is hard to creep me out! I usually don't care. Idk maybe it is because they always play together and I always happen to be the only other one in there. Believe me, their names match what they talk about....

Seratonin
12-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Lol. Believe or not they really do. It is hard to creep me out! I usually don't care. Idk maybe it is because they always play together and I always happen to be the only other one in there. Believe me, their names match what they talk about....

Interesting Serachronia, I think we should find them and report them. JK jk... but if I do run across them, I will. Not going to play the game just to find idiots to report... Takes the fun out of the game.

Refriedchicken
12-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Can someone point out this in the ToS?

I like how I was never given a warning. I just received a 7 day ban for my name.

first of all, its a name on a video game that contained no profanity. If you're honestly are offended by something like that you may need a life.

I love how my name wasn't okay, but a sexual reference such as "bowjob" is acceptable?

Total slap in the face to a player whom spent 60$+ on platinum, and recruited several new players.

I think this is INCREDIBLY harsh. I think a name change would have been in order rather than an immediate 7 day ban.

Smh, same on you admins.

StompArtist
12-14-2010, 05:19 PM

I like how I was never given a warning. I just received a 7 day ban for my name.

first of all, its a name on a video game that contained no profanity. If you're honestly are offended by something like that you may need a life.

I love how my name wasn't okay, but a sexual reference such as "bowjob" is acceptable?

Total slap in the face to a player whom spent 60$+ on platinum, and recruited several new players.

OK I'll bite. What was your name?

Justg
12-14-2010, 05:30 PM
We can ban anyone, at anytime, for anything.

Names that refer to pedophilia and racial hatred are usually perma-banned without warning.

This is, at heart, a kid's game and we will do anything we can to strongly protect our little corner of the world.

StompArtist
12-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Names that refer to pedophilia and racial hatred are usually perma-banned without warning..

Perhaps it is the fact that I have 2 kids talking but I think the ban should be followed up by a serious "behind" kicking!!!

Sigkill
12-14-2010, 06:27 PM

I think this is INCREDIBLY harsh. I think a name change would have been in order rather than an immediate 7 day ban.

Smh, same on you admins.

First of all, what was your name. If the devs think its that bad than they would give you a 7 day ban. Although, i would appreciate a warning, but if someone does happen to have a problem with my twinks name (which i hardly ever play on) then ill just make a new one. the only people who would know about my name would be people who know about the actual reference. and bowjobzs is hiding it in a pretty good way, i doubt 10 year old kids would have a problem with my name, i dont think anyone does because i have never been reported, and when i do log on i get random people telling me "funny name". But i totally agree about racist names, thats just stupid and people who do have racist names should be permabanned. but people who have names that are just funny, i dont they should get in trouble unless its overboard

Seratonin
12-14-2010, 07:11 PM

Names that refer to pedophilia and racial hatred are usually perma-banned without warning.

This is, at heart, a kid's game and we will do anything we can to strongly protect our little corner of the world.

I tried to explain to you earlier that everything you have access to is not yours, it is STS's property. Basically, they are the Gods of Alterra... They control the destiny of Pocket Legends...

thundergrb77
12-14-2010, 08:10 PM
people say simple phrases and other people report them because it is starred out. but they are just saying a phrase.

TheAnonymous
12-14-2010, 08:32 PM

G thanks for taking such action on not only the language but character names in game.

TOASTYTorpedo
12-14-2010, 08:44 PM
^ Future forum mod right there children ^^

KingFu
12-14-2010, 08:46 PM
^ Future forum mod right there children ^^

Forum mods aren't coming for a long time if ever. Not to mention, no offense anonymous, but if someone was to be a mod, it'd be an educated oldie, with 1.5K+ posts or so IMO. Like Royce for example.

TheAnonymous
12-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Forum mods aren't coming for a long time if ever. Not to mention, no offense anonymous, but if someone was to be a mod, it'd be an educated oldie, with 1.5K+ posts or so IMO. Like Royce for example.

Lets just say I am totally not interested in trying nor am I trying for any "role". I wouldn't even take it if it came with pay. I have a full time Unix System Administrator job that takes enough of my day as it is and I enjoy having my free time to play and do what I want. I enjoy the game which is another reason I am not trying nor looking for any "role" once you get into any game as "staff" you tend to either lose your play time or get put under "rules". So just to be clear I am not trying or looking in case it came across that way :)

TOASTYTorpedo
12-14-2010, 09:22 PM
haha i understand :-) i was kind of joking but i just couldn't pass the opportunity up

TheAnonymous
12-14-2010, 09:49 PM
haha i understand :-) i was kind of joking but i just couldn't pass the opportunity up

Well I have seen the people on many games that you are talking about so understand where you were coming from.

Typhee
12-15-2010, 03:43 AM
I got used to report dirty IGN now. With Report button it's even easier, but I send a mail to devs to explain why this IGN is bad because I mainly report french dirty IGN as it's my mother tongue... I will continue to work on this, it is inacceptable...

So choose your IGN wisely...

CowboyJim
12-15-2010, 08:31 AM
I boot people from my games that have names I don't like. I will start reporting really offensive names as well. I think it's really immature for people to make up these kinds of names.

Ibmk
12-15-2010, 02:46 PM
www.mudkipz.ws do not visit this site

JustDenny
12-21-2010, 05:41 AM
So my question is; Where does the censorship end? In no way am I at all against keeping the game clean for the oh so wonderful children(whom are responsible for 90% of offensive names), but where is the line? Am I missing something in the fine print? 'no names pertaining to or containing symbols, numbers, four letter words starting with F, God, gender, afros, repulsive canadian singers, greasy jersey shore stars, spoons. In other words, names that CAN be found offensive by a certain party.' HYPOTHETICALLY speaking, if I were to create a character named "xYOURF4Tx" or "GodHatsKids7" is this considered offensive to the wonderful children/+ and - sized community and permaban material?

PL is rated for 9+ not "children of all ages" as I have seen in prior posts. This game demonstrates violence in a animated fashion, thus allowing children to relate to the VIOLENCE. It appears that some seem to think children live in boxes and have pure minds these days. oh jeez public school must be a parent's worst nightmare.

IGN's should not be renamed, if given a second chance IMO. Changing someone's name literally defeats the entire purpose for playing mmo's and rpg's, might as well take their thumbs while you are at it. Accounts containing characters with offensive names should have an alloted time limit to resubmit a new name that is to be screened and cleared by the devs first. If the problem persists than a permaban should be exercised. Aka, give the snotnosed goofballs a second chance to grow up or gtho. Some may say "omgzzz that would take forever." yeah, so does lvling a char to 50 only to be banned.

I love the hades out of this game, and ultimately I support any and all decisions made by STS, but there is a difference between trying to keep the game clean, and silly people going out of their way to report everything that they find "offensive."

natetk
12-21-2010, 11:25 AM
In this thread we cry about names. I mean really it's just words. I believe children now a days hear worse in their everyday life, and if they understand what those words mean then it's nothing new to them. Yea if it's trully offensive then it probably shouldn't be allowed, but to make a big deal over it? My in game character is named Tulsgib, and if that's too offensive then people need to get off the internet because they are way over sensitive.

Snub
12-21-2010, 02:01 PM
I know one good reason to leave the vulgar names…
I can place the idiot 12yr olds on ignore before they have a chance to change their name….It singles them out for me :)

I don’t want anything to do with some fool who would even consider naming his toon “itouchkids”!

mrpredalien
12-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Why name it so inappropriately,, when u can find some better ones? I mean you can even generate the random names rather than have to think about it for an hour

Estraz
12-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Good luck catching them, I'll work on reporting them too.

cuard
12-21-2010, 08:42 PM
one questoin who names ther toon cun*/Users/andrewvetter/Desktop/images-10.jpeg

cuard
12-21-2010, 08:44 PM
One time this guy walked in my game name cuardsucks It might have been a friend or eneymy im not shurehttp:///Users/andrewvetter/Desktop/images-10.jpeg

SilentKingdom
12-21-2010, 09:54 PM
I blocked someone on my first day whose name was nothing but the F word with several u's added. It's like, do they really think they're going to get away with that? I didn't know how to report at the time, but hopefully someone else did

Luu52
12-21-2010, 11:57 PM
oh god I found a nasty one which if I say
will probably get me banned

crazycrc
12-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Just going to point this out, from my experience with previous games, I tend to see that most of the people defending the use of offensive names are the ones using them (who would have guessed it). Not to say that if you are defending them that you are using them, but there's a good possibility.

On another note, what I think STS is trying to do is keep this game a Family Friendly game. They want everybody to be able to enjoy themselves in a responsible manner. The whole "Well the kids here worse at school what's the big deal?" argument is completely without support. So because a child is possibly being negatively influenced elsewhere means they are ruined from that point on? Why should they be further influenced?

And maybe it's the lack of sleep but I thought I also saw an argument over how if it made it through the filter it must have been okay (If I'm imagining things well it tends to pop up eventually so lets go ahead and put that flame out now). Creating a variation of a filtered word (such as adding extra letters or simply changing one letter to another, flipping letters, etc.) is no different than entering the word itself. You are still representing a word that STS has shown that they do not want used.

vulgarstrike
12-24-2010, 06:16 PM
And what do you think would happen if a kid playing saw that guy come into his game, and something horrible had happened to him, even though he is out of that situation(hopefully) How then do you think that would make that one person feel? It's not about kissing up or brown-nosing, it's about ethics and hostile environment. Honestly, if some young kid saw a guy playing a char named something vulgar, they would ask questions, or use the term. It's an imprint... It's just like sexual harrassment in the workplace... It's not about how you think your name should be taken, it's all about how others take it. If you get reported for having a vulgar name because you can't think of something so easy as a name for a fantasy character, or you just thought it would be cute or funny, then you deserve it. There is no excuse to be putting ignorant vulgar crap in front of everyone. None whatsoever. That's why there is a random name generator. If you can't think of something that's not vulgar or rude for a name, then use it.

It's not about how you feel about it, it's how others feel about it. Plain and simple. If you don't like it, then you should also understand that every character, and every name in the game, and all of the items and gold, ALL OF IT, is the personal property of Spacetime Studios. That's how it is in ANY MMORPG. You don't "own" any of it, they are letting you play the game. It is a joy to have a game that can be played on almost any platform now, and to have 10 or 20 people making rude, offensive names to ruin the experience for the rest of the players should never be allowed. Driving customers off is not a good way to stay in business. Keeping the masses happy is more important than what some immature idiot's point of view on how their name should be taken.

you used my name :D