PDA

View Full Version : Boosting Colton!

Ghaith
04-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Hello !
So, I was thinking about Colton and I had an idea :
1st : Colton's bonus is " You receive +30 int , 10% damage and +5 mana regen "
But like that Colton is lowing the owner ( especially mages ) health points and lowing health points means mages are not going to solo Tombs , elites and normal maps ...... My suggestion is : What about making the following " You receive +30 int , 10% damage and 8 mana/health regen " or " You receive +30 int , 10% damage and 100 health , +5 mana regen "
My point is to make Colton as good as Clyde .... Colton gives +30 int means +90 health points ( 10 int = 30 health points ) whereas Clyde gives +30 int , 10 str means 190 health points ( 10 str = 100 health points )
Thank you and Constructive thoughts please :) !

Ebezaanec
04-11-2014, 07:38 PM
Hello !
So, I was thinking about Colton and I had an idea :
1st : Colton's bonus is " You receive +30 int , 10% damage and +5 mana regen "
But like that Colton is lowing the owner ( especially mages ) health points and lowing health points means mages are not going to solo Tombs , elites and normal maps ...... My suggestion is : What about making the following " You receive +30 int , 10% damage and 8 mana/health regen " or " You receive +30 int , 10% damage and 100 health , +5 mana regen "
My point is to make Colton as good as Clyde .... Colton gives +30 int means +90 health points ( 10 int = 30 health points ) whereas Clyde gives +30 int , 10 str means 190 health points ( 10 str = 100 health points )
Thank you and Constructive thoughts please :) !

Mages soloing Elite? That type of suicide is left to the top geared players

And to add: Colton has been around for many, many expansions. It's bound that Colton will be outdated by other pets..

Nesox
04-11-2014, 10:48 PM
A couple hundred health is not the difference between success and failure in the new elites as most deaths seem to be one-hits anyway. Crit, %damage, and stun pets are all still better then a few more Int.

Xpolosion
04-11-2014, 11:38 PM
Just make his arcane ability range a lil larger

Froxanthar
04-11-2014, 11:47 PM

This.

-no
04-12-2014, 12:36 AM
Colton is great as is, only range sucks

Morholt
04-12-2014, 01:47 AM
Just make his arcane ability range a lil largerThis!
I honestly hate Colton for the very reason of his virtually non-existent AA. I'm not going to stand next to death to get it. Only way to safely get it is to be running up to a new set of mobs, stopping, and tapping it as he passes you to get to mobs.

Only thing I really use him for are easier maps where his damage constant damage increase is enough of a difference for my attacks to be an assured 1 hit.

For that, I love Ribbit way more. I can safely enjoy the benefits of the crit boosts to end up doing much more damage than I would with Colton's int/damage. Plus, Ribbit provides a massive +250 life.

Ishtmeet
04-12-2014, 03:52 AM
Use Clyde instead, colton is awesome as it is.

Ghaith
04-12-2014, 06:15 AM
Use Clyde instead, colton is awesome as it is.

That's a plats buyer option :p

Ghaith
04-12-2014, 06:23 AM
This!
I honestly hate Colton for the very reason of his virtually non-existent AA. I'm not going to stand next to death to get it. Only way to safely get it is to be running up to a new set of mobs, stopping, and tapping it as he passes you to get to mobs.

Only thing I really use him for are easier maps where his damage constant damage increase is enough of a difference for my attacks to be an assured 1 hit.

For that, I love Ribbit way more. I can safely enjoy the benefits of the crit boosts to end up doing much more damage than I would with Colton's int/damage. Plus, Ribbit provides a massive +250 life.

Well ! I honestly don't really like your ideas
And what ?! Ribbit is better than Colton !! though ribbit gives +7% crit as bonus and +40% crit as arcane but that 40% will last only for 3 seconds ( and during my presence in AL I've learned that ribbit can be used only for bosses ) if you're talking about health bonus than switch to malison ( 20 str,int,dex = +360 hp ) so malison is way much better than ribbit ..... And comparing ribbit to Colton is lame .... Colton stills on the top best pets for mages .... Even for warriors earlier I noticed that they're using Prance more than ribbit .... Orion stills better than ribbit ( you can hit +290 hp ) and damage reduced by 2% is nice for mages to keep taking some more hits .....
And .. Colton's arcane ability's range is the most important issue ...

Ghaith
04-12-2014, 06:25 AM
A couple hundred health is not the difference between success and failure in the new elites as most deaths seem to be one-hits anyway. Crit, %damage, and stun pets are all still better then a few more Int.

If health points don't matter than why I see Clyde is more preferred than Colton , huh ? Crit , damage .. Colton gives the both ......

Ghaith
04-12-2014, 06:28 AM
Crit, %damage, and stun pets are all still better then a few more Int.

Are you sure ? Than I would say Aspen is way better than Colton ( +10% crit , +15% damage and +10 int )

Ghaith
04-12-2014, 06:29 AM
in the new elites .

Did I say New Elites ?!

Ghaith
04-12-2014, 06:33 AM
Mages soloing Elite? That type of suicide is left to the top geared players

And to add: Colton has been around for many, many expansions. It's bound that Colton will be outdated by other pets..

Sorry I meant to say easy Elites ..... Well according to my personal experience pink Mage can solo ( forest , ydra [ elites ] ) and mythic Mage can even solo dead city .... By the way running alone in maps is much easier than going with a party ( mobs health points bar and damage will be less than going in more than 1 player ) so having a little health boost with Colton will make it more more useful ... Soloing the mentioned maps is only available with Malison , Orion or even Ethyl ... Otherwise you better don't enter
And thank you ( it was a misspelling lol )

Bigboyblue
04-12-2014, 07:54 AM

Double this!!

Colton is a solid pet but us mages need his AA range to be improved. This isn't going to happen though. Make a recommendation in the suggestions. If STS doesn't respond to the post it won't happen lol. This suggestion has been made before and no response :grey:

Wutzgood
04-12-2014, 09:08 AM
If health points don't matter than why I see Clyde is more preferred than Colton , huh ? Crit , damage .. Colton gives the both ......

Clyde has a panic AA which is why i prefer him to Colton. Colton still is one of the best pets for Mage. His only problem is the AA range which I just ignore. His happiness stats and his passive stun are sick. No pet is gonna have all 3 (happiness, AA and passive) that are perfect except maybe an arcane one.

Nesox
04-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Well ! I honestly don't really like your ideas
And what ?! Ribbit is better than Colton !! though ribbit gives +7% crit as bonus and +40% crit as arcane but that 40% will last only for 3 seconds ( and during my presence in AL I've learned that ribbit can be used only for bosses ) if you're talking about health bonus than switch to malison ( 20 str,int,dex = +360 hp ) so malison is way much better than ribbit ..... And comparing ribbit to Colton is lame .... Colton stills on the top best pets for mages .... Even for warriors earlier I noticed that they're using Prance more than ribbit .... Orion stills better than ribbit ( you can hit +290 hp ) and damage reduced by 2% is nice for mages to keep taking some more hits .....
And .. Colton's arcane ability's range is the most important issue ...

You should respect these opinions more as they are correct. Yes Ribbit is more effective that Colton most of the time, especially in Tombs or maps with larger mobs. That 3 secs of crit will do far more damage to a mob under TS then Coltons damage boost. Bosses are also the one area that I rarely use ribbit as I prefer a stun pet most of the time. Bosses require you to stay alive longer rather than deal damage faster. Kelvin is my go to boss pet as he has a perfect stun rate. Your comment on Orions 2% dmg reduction is incorrect as 2% of a 3000hp hit is only 60 hp. Not enough to avoid death usually. He is however an overall better bet than Colton, yes.

I am a mediocre skill level and I have soled many elites up to the end of Kracken. Colton is not even in the top eight pets in my rotation.

All other debate aside the only change Colton requires is the AA radius as previosly mentioned. This does not seem to be a priority for STS as we have been complaining for many seasons.

Ghaith
04-12-2014, 01:34 PM
You should respect these opinions more as they are correct. Yes Ribbit is more effective that Colton most of the time, especially in Tombs or maps with larger mobs. That 3 secs of crit will do far more damage to a mob under TS then Coltons damage boost. Bosses are also the one area that I rarely use ribbit as I prefer a stun pet most of the time. Bosses require you to stay alive longer rather than deal damage faster. Kelvin is my go to boss pet as he has a perfect stun rate. Your comment on Orions 2% dmg reduction is incorrect as 2% of a 3000hp hit is only 60 hp. Not enough to avoid death usually. He is however an overall better bet than Colton, yes.

I am a mediocre skill level and I have soled many elites up to the end of Kracken. Colton is not even in the top eight pets in my rotation.

All other debate aside the only change Colton requires is the AA radius as previosly mentioned. This does not seem to be a priority for STS as we have been complaining for many seasons.
Did you read the Thread ? I bet you didn't even look at it lol
My thread is about improving Colton so that it can take a small spot among the best mages pets because it's disappearing now .... I was not talking about Colton vs Ribbit my thread is " Boosting Colton " and thank you

Ghaith
04-12-2014, 01:37 PM

Are you telling me that 47% crit ( with 40% crit for only 3 sec ) beats 15% crit ( 6 sec ) + 10% damage ?!?!

Ghaith
04-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Lame ! The game is being a mathematic class ... No fun now

Ghaith
04-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Colton ... His happiness stats and his passive stun are sick..

Are you sick 0.0 ? Colton's stun ain't good ?!?! And either the bonus ain't nice 0.0 ?!?! I don't understand you people ?!?!

Nesox
04-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Are you sick 0.0 ? Colton's stun ain't good ?!?! And either the bonus ain't nice 0.0 ?!?! I don't understand you people ?!?!

In this case 'sick' means good.

Ghaith
04-12-2014, 05:18 PM
In this case 'sick' means good.

Really :p

Nesox
04-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Are you telling me that 47% crit ( with 40% crit for only 3 sec ) beats 15% crit ( 6 sec ) + 10% damage ?!?!

My quick and dirty math puts Ribbit doing about 50 dmg more than Colton for the duration of the AA. Now obviosly this is short lived at 3 sec but using TS on a tight group you can deal a great deal more overall damage than using colton. If you move slow and only engage a couple enimies at a time, rather than pulling, then Colton will be more efficient overall. Which is better depends on your skill level and playing style. Remember that it is difficult to actually hit the AA on Colton due to the very small range. He is usually well behind you when you need him.

In tombs Ribbit or Shadowlurk decimate all. A good AOE attack w/ stun like Slag works well too. Conversely, using Ethyl's AA on the same mob will give you more time to deal with them conventionally but results in a slower run.

Ghaith
04-12-2014, 05:45 PM
My quick and dirty math puts Ribbit doing about 50 dmg more than Colton for the duration of the AA. Now obviosly this is short lived at 3 sec but using TS on a tight group you can deal a great deal more overall damage than using colton. If you move slow and only engage a couple enimies at a time, rather than pulling, then Colton will be more efficient overall. Which is better depends on your skill level and playing style. Remember that it is difficult to actually hit the AA on Colton due to the very small range. He is usually well behind you when you need him.

In tombs Ribbit or Shadowlurk decimate all. A good AOE attack w/ stun like Slag works well too. Conversely, using Ethyl's AA on the same mob will give you more time to deal with them conventionally but results in a slower run.

Can I know how did you calculate the damage :) and thank you for explanation ^_^

Nesox
04-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Ribbit AA= [base damage * 1.5 (assumed crit damage multiplier) * 0.47 (crit rate)] + [base damage * 0.53 (% of hits not crit)]
Colton= (base damage * 1.1 (10% dmg) * 1.5 (assumed crit damage multiplier) * .06 (crit rate)] + [base damage * 1.1 * 0.94(% of hits not crit)]

The 1.5 damage from a crit is just a value I have seen used before as an assumption. Of course these formulas do not include your base crit rate and is an over simplification of all the variables involved overall. Like I said, quick and dirty. Because Coltons AA are is so small that I assume only about a 10% chance it will actually affect me, as such I do not use it in the calculation. If you feel it is viable then you can add that 15% crit into the crit % in the formula.

As Wutzgood mentioned Colton has a passive stun which is noticable when attacking small groups. When pulling large mobs stunning a couple of them has little effect so that isn't as noticable, Obviously using Ribbit results in lower damage when not under AA then using Colton not under AA, but since I use that cooldown time to pull together the next mob, rather then attack piecemeal, that has little effect for me. Like I said prefered pets vary largely based on individual playing styles.

Ghaith
04-13-2014, 01:41 PM
Ribbit AA= [base damage * 1.5 (assumed crit damage multiplier) * 0.47 (crit rate)] + [base damage * 0.53 (% of hits not crit)]
Colton= (base damage * 1.1 (10% dmg) * 1.5 (assumed crit damage multiplier) * .06 (crit rate)] + [base damage * 1.1 * 0.94(% of hits not crit)]

The 1.5 damage from a crit is just a value I have seen used before as an assumption. Of course these formulas do not include your base crit rate and is an over simplification of all the variables involved overall. Like I said, quick and dirty. Because Coltons AA are is so small that I assume only about a 10% chance it will actually affect me, as such I do not use it in the calculation. If you feel it is viable then you can add that 15% crit into the crit % in the formula.

As Wutzgood mentioned Colton has a passive stun which is noticable when attacking small groups. When pulling large mobs stunning a couple of them has little effect so that isn't as noticable, Obviously using Ribbit results in lower damage when not under AA then using Colton not under AA, but since I use that cooldown time to pull together the next mob, rather then attack piecemeal, that has little effect for me. Like I said prefered pets vary largely based on individual playing styles.

Thanks for that huge explanation and your huge knowledge :) ... Now I do understand a lot of points ... However, others were just disagreeing without saying the cause ( lame ) ... But I still need you to re-read the thread

Nesox
04-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Yes, base damage is dmg as it shows on your avatar with no pet equiped. Dmg, not dps.

Others opinions are based on what is more effective to their playing style. Pretty much every pet is more dynamic then the stats alone suggest. Success with each will depend as much on how you use a pet as much as the stats boost.

To calculate the effect of your proposed changes to Coltons abilities add the additional damage that extra 20 Int gives you. You will find that it would result in near mythic/arcane damage levels. While I would love to see your suggested changes implemented we are never going to see a buff to Colton. STS will simply introduce new pets with slightly better stats to force us to purchase more, more, more.

Ghaith
04-13-2014, 06:17 PM
I see then STS better make some more useful legendary pets scorn is Big lame int boost is nothing compared to its AA it's not acceptable specially for us ( mages )