PDA

View Full Version : Old Player Egos - Tired of hearing about it

sabermage
12-16-2010, 04:39 PM
<rant>

Is it just me, or is anyone else who is new to Pocket Legends getting tired of being told our equipment is crap? It's daily someone complains that my wand and eye (which are level 50 pinks) are crap items. With these latest quests going on, the only thing people want to do is keeper runs. And all the old players, they run around in all their super rare items, having all the items they could ever want, and don't understand that it's extremely difficult for the new group to get these items when no one even stays in the game on victory lap if it isn't keeper.

I would love to have a laser wand and gurgox eye. I try and solo Plothoz all the time, and hope someone will join that will actually stick around to help kill it, but it's rare. I would love to even have a change to get these items, but it's so hard to find a group willing to go outside of these darn keeper runs.

So for all your old pocket legend players with your fishbowl helmets and tye dye armor, give us new crowd a break. Step off your high horse. Put your ego to the side. Spend a little time extra killing something that might help someone other than yourself. For those that have, thank you.

</rant>

TwinkTastical
12-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Theres plenty of newer players, i have a friend who got full rift in his first 2 weeks of playing, maybe its cause he farms instead of ranting on forums, stop crying and go farm.

FluffNStuff
12-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Theres plenty of newer players, i have a friend who got full rift in his first 2 weeks of playing, maybe its cause he farms instead of ranting on forums, stop crying and go farm.

Are you 21, because you really deserve to be bought a beer for that!

Ptoast
12-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Here's some burn cream. You'll need it by the time his thread dies.

Arterra
12-16-2010, 05:00 PM

what if farm luck = 0? not a pretty sight.

Darkchylde
12-16-2010, 05:04 PM
thats funny cause i been here since april when it started im ol school i hav never said nothin bad to no one unless they said it to me first.. i see new levels an new players i give em anything i dont want that i hav usually and then some.....

Lesrider
12-16-2010, 05:05 PM

Lol nice.
People seem to forget that those of us with the best gear did not always have the best gear. But we managed to get it by working at it. Find friends to do it with and stop crying on the forums. God.

The rest of us did it when it meant a lot more teamwork and a lot more dying, too! You'd never hear of anyone soloing plothozz before 1.5!!

Cascade
12-16-2010, 05:10 PM
HO, HO, HO! Check out the hunt for santa contest! Santa gave away a keeper staff earlier

Snakespeare
12-16-2010, 05:19 PM
LOL! It's not "old players", it's noobs who are telling you that nonsense. The old players have seen changes come and go and we did our whining about changes months ago. It did no good. The devs are like umpires. You can argue all you want, but they generally make the call that seems right to them.

FWIW, I have 3 level 50s and have been here 7 months but I only bought the Wraith armor (tye-dye) yesterday.

kavanah
12-16-2010, 05:27 PM
I like to play with slinkies! They are just so much fun!

KingFu
12-16-2010, 05:29 PM
It's not the oldies being annoying, its the newbies calling oldies noobs. The droid gens thinking they're pro, and think everyone else is bsing, just my input on the case. I don't know how many times ive been called a noob from some OP class new gen, I usually just ignore it. Kinda amusing how some people act.

Darkchylde
12-16-2010, 05:38 PM
yep me too called a noob cause im a level 46 and not a lev 50 they dont understand i cant play 24/7 i hav another life that requires me to work for a living an put the supper on the table ..whats up myst my old friend.. i vouch for ya we both ol school not noobs i rem way bak the good ol days rollin with the oldies an the old levls etc etc oh the glitched swamp those were the days / im a little older than you he he by one month :)

Conradin
12-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Rotfl when pl came out we were just running around in fathom crypts in the worst gear ever. Between that time and now we have farmed items, and used teamwork to kick bosses butts. Does any1 remember how frustrating the swamps were when they came out??? And now new myna gens and stinking droid gens just boost themselves up and post threads about how were stupid and greedy becuase you don't have the amor and gear we've spent months gettin cash for.

+1 to TT

Darkchylde
12-16-2010, 05:42 PM
well they call you noobs but a few mins later when a pinks go to droppin they be askin ya can i have it ,can i hav it ,you wanna trade ,or how much you want for it i gotta hav it please

Darkchylde
12-16-2010, 05:47 PM
i was ther for fathom crypts and oh the swamps those were the dayssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ,,,the glitched swamp man that was awsome for a few days until the devs caught on we kept it a secret as long as we could or they jus didnt care i always wondered bout that glitched swamp god i farmed that sucker for everything i could get and i loved bein the one that would stomp the map to get in ther and drag them bosses out of ther and watch the pinks jus drop like crazy they can talk all they want but they can never take the swamp out of me, not too many players can relate to the glitched swamp /// except the old schools :)

Fyrce
12-16-2010, 05:51 PM
If there are so many like-minded new players, then you should be able to find a new players group to go through Ao3. I don't think the old players go around calling people anything because of gear. Maybe if I saw someone never use a skill and lacking in figuring out group dynamics. That's very different than just looking at them.

I suggest you do what I do most of the time: Run with friends. You got to level 50. After all that playing, you should have pages of friends you can join or invite. Even playing with friends, in one active session, as people pop in and out, I probably add another page or 1/2 page of people who seem skillful to my friends list. And I am in Crush the Keeper very little; I like full run groups better.

Superzarop
12-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Well you can create a des-keeper run and tell them that if you clear des you can rush keeper so thingS are easier.
Ooh wait i forgot that you had the tooth brush and ball painted as a face. In that case i suggest you to farm plasma pyramid and liquida.... Ooh wait i forgot you have the white peasants cloth and helm. They arent even metallic! But anyways in that case you can farm balefort at least... Never mind you should start from forest haven again. Yes life is tough for noobs.

ProSophist
12-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Here's the thing:

"Old" players, as we would say, who basically were the first population of the game would normally have huge egos because of the pioneer factor. They would always feel like they own the game, or basically classify themselves as the best players simply because they were the first ones to play. It's a trend for small time MMORPGs like PL. Much more common when you play on private servers.

It's true a lot of people just boost their way to 50, which really all depends on you. Tekei boosted me for 1 level but I found it very boring and unappealing so I went back leveling on my own. But don't kid yourselves, this game ain't rocket science. It takes about a day to learn majority about this game, and playing 1 year earlier than anybody else doesn't give you a huge edge.

Short version: Just because there are a lot of people who boosted to 50 doesn't mean nobody levels the old-school way anymore. Pioneers have to put their egos aside and realize that they all started at level 1 as well.

Pharcyde
12-16-2010, 06:44 PM
stop crying and go farm.

Sooo quotable in a signature! :D. Not doin it though if anyone else wants to grab.

Lesrider
12-16-2010, 06:57 PM
You know what the problem here is? You're separating yourself from others based on when they started playing. I only started playing a few mos ago, but I do regular runs with people who have been here since April, as well as those who have been here only a few weeks.

If those of you complaining about what all the "pro" players are doing to you like booting you or not giving you stuff, etc, would just play instead, you'd get a lot further.

Ugh a little while ago, some random person I never met pmed me to ask for money bc I wrote something about gold now being worthless. WTF if I don't know you, don't ask me for handouts. Ugh I just don't understand what's with all these people these days who think that those of us who worked our way to getting all our gear, etc, owe them something because they're poor.

Take a lesson from Seratonin. I don't think she's been here long (correct me if I'm wrong), but I've been doing a lot of cyber quest runs with her. My group always clears middle and at least keeper, Ol, Gurg. If we feel like it we do plothozz and mynas. Sera has been running with us and has never slowed us down, even when she's dying all over the place ;). She also mentioned she needed a laser wand, but only ever asked if we were selling or knew anyone who was selling. And asked if we could add plothozz to the mix so she might loot one. She never begged for one. Yesterday we did a plothozz run together and I looted a wand. I laughed, she didn't ask for it or anything, and I gave it to her.

Show your worth instead of complaining to everyone and maybe, just maybe, they'll be more willing to invite you to their games and/or help out with equipment.

End of rant. For now.

And hope I didn't embarass you Sera ;). I do think other players could learn a thing or two from you.

Pharcyde
12-16-2010, 07:00 PM
You know what the problem here is? You're separating yourself from others based on when they started playing. I only started playing a few mos ago, but I do regular runs with people who have been here since April, as well as those who have been here only a few weeks.

If those of you complaining about what all the "pro" players are doing to you like booting you or not giving you stuff, etc, would just play instead, you'd get a lot further.

Ugh a little while ago, some random person I never met pmed me to ask for money bc I wrote something about gold now being worthless. WTF if I don't know you, don't ask me for handouts. Ugh I just don't understand what's with all these people these days who think that those of us who worked our way to getting all our gear, etc, owe them something because they're poor.

Take a lesson from Seratonin. I don't think she's been here long (correct me if I'm wrong), but I've been doing a lot of cyber quest runs with her. My group always clears middle and at least keeper, Ol, Gurg. If we feel like it we do plothozz and mynas. Sera has been running with us and has never slowed us down, even when she's dying all over the place ;). She also mentioned she needed a laser wand, but only ever asked if we were selling or knew anyone who was selling. And asked if we could add plothozz to the mix so she might loot one. She never begged for one. Yesterday we did a plothozz run together and I looted a wand. I laughed, she didn't ask for it or anything, and I gave it to her.

Show your worth instead of complaining to everyone and maybe, just maybe, they'll be more willing to invite you to their games and/or help out with equipment.

End of rant. For now.

And hope I didn't embarass you Sera ;). I do think other loaded could learn a thing or two from you.

I have played longer then sera and have more forum posts then her but yet she plays with easily 50 times more forum people and pros then I do. Its nothing to do with skill, its based on the players personality and playability.

Lesrider
12-16-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm just pointing out that she's made a point of finding people to play with, rather than complaining about the lvl 50 "oldies." Complaining about and insulting the very people you want to welcome you, is not the best way to get the job done.

Pharcyde
12-16-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm just pointing out that she's made a point of finding people to play with, rather than complaining about the lvl 50 "oldies." Complaining about and insulting the very people you want to welcome you, is not the best way to get the job done.

great point. IF you get a good friend basis then you wont even have a reason to complain. Because thats who you will be playing with and good friends don't insult or boot you for no reason. I guess thats my problem :P, I spend like zero time on getting PL friends.

Lesrider
12-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Yep, once you're friends, you forgive little mistakes (I wrote a little while back about my team of close friends stealing the Gurg orbs while I was the only Mage. I got momentarily annoyed, but then we went back to playing as usual.)

The game was not as fun for me before I built up a good group of friends to call on. And if no one on my friends list is online, I'll usually log right out.

But you're not gonna make friends by creating posts like this. How 'bout creating a useful post instead, like "Looking for lvl so and so players to farm plothozz." that's what I did when I noticed everyone was only farming keeper, and I found many people willing to join me. Try it. You might be surprised.

TwinkTastical
12-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Are you 21, because you really deserve to be bought a beer for that!

Nope, but i still drink.

screamer
12-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Honestly.. Why do you care? Some immature kid telling you crap???

Guess what? In the end, it doesn't matter. When those people die, are they going to put Pocket Legends Level 50 on their gravestone??? I hope so. Cause THAT is laughable!

Repeat after me... Pocket Legends is JUST A GAME.

Pharcyde
12-16-2010, 07:33 PM
^^^ Obviously me and you are not on the same level.

FluffNStuff
12-16-2010, 07:40 PM
I was playing with some fifties all decked out in tie dye who were 'rushing' the keeper. Were these guys oldies? Gawd I hope not ... Was watching their mana, and it was rarely moving. Shield goes down, and some of their mana bar's barely move. I don't care what you are wearing or how long you think you have been playing, but if the keepers shield is down and your mana bar is not being depleted, you are a NOOB.

ps. To those who say 'm/s' or 'mana pots', if you are using your skills right, your mana bar will look like a music beat

screamer
12-16-2010, 07:48 PM
^^^ Obviously me and you are not on the same level.

Obviously... and I believe the proper way to state that is "You and I".

Pharcyde
12-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Obviously... and I believe the proper way to state that is "You and I".

Well obviously I put me first because YOU are not important.

ps. To those who say 'm/s' or 'mana pots', if you are using your skills right, your mana bar will look like a music beat

Mine only does when I take aggro. I spam all spells so fast that times wait idly for a second or two while all my spells cool down.

Ladylove
12-16-2010, 07:54 PM
I like to play with slinkies! They are just so much fun!

cheers kavanah

screamer
12-16-2010, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=Pharcyde;146346]Well obviously I put me first because YOU are not important.

Wow... Good for you! :D

Pharcyde
12-16-2010, 08:01 PM
^^^ Yup yup. Mmk you can stop talking to me now.

Seratonin
12-16-2010, 09:55 PM

End of rant. For now.

And hope I didn't embarass you Sera ;). I do think other players could learn a thing or two from you.

No, not at all, I enjoy giving things away, because it makes the community better, and helps people. Plus, they like you for your generosity, not your items =p Balonia needed a gurgox eye, I gave her my extra ;) And thanks a bunch for that wand! farming is SO much easier now that I don't have to pot all the time for mana! Mana regen is highly recommended for farming. btw, birds are squishy, =p and LOLbarrels are funny.

On topic: I only started playing at the end of Nov. I have two lvl 50's, I have completed all except the elite snowball/yeti quests on my main, and a few of the new swamp quests(still working on those), I have done cyber quests for both of my 50's, I have met, and gained a lot of new and good friends, and when we run things, we help each other out. You have to find the kind of people you like to hang out with. Just give it time, and you will find like minded people, and you can hang out with them. I REALLY wish they had a guilds system, it's hard to keep track of people, and I try to help out with as much as I can, but I can only do one thing at a time too. I may be a droid gen player, but I did not power level my main (I did on Species), because I wanted to get the full experience before taking shortcuts. It helps you learn the game. I do help power level from 47-50 though because that is a really long grind, and it is so demotivating to run and run and run, and wait for a level up.

Playing an MMO is 99% about the community and who you play with. If you have good friends, then everything else just falls into place ;) Be a good friend, help others when they need help, just do your best to be a good(as in positive attitude, fun to play with, generous, helpful) player.

I have played longer then sera and have more forum posts then her but yet she plays with easily 50 times more forum people and pros then I do. Its nothing to do with skill, its based on the players personality and playability.

That's what friends arefor, you fall into playing with people you are comfortable with, and you will have a good MMO experience.

Yep, once you're friends, you forgive little mistakes (I wrote a little while back about my team of close friends stealing the Gurg orbs while I was the only Mage. I got momentarily annoyed, but then we went back to playing as usual.)

The game was not as fun for me before I built up a good group of friends to call on. And if no one on my friends list is online, I'll usually log right out.

But you're not gonna make friends by creating posts like this. How 'bout creating a useful post instead, like "Looking for lvl so and so players to farm plothozz." that's what I did when I noticed everyone was only farming keeper, and I found many people willing to join me. Try it. You might be surprised.

I read that post, and I thought 'oops, I was doing that too' so now if a mage is near, I let the mage grab the orb, and just rev me. No point in killing the one with the defibrilator. =p

SuicideKings
12-16-2010, 09:58 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1375.snc4/164718_182754225075520_100000228315630_721330_7824 673_n.jpg

TwinkTastical
12-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Heres what im gonna say, then everyone is gonna stfu and let this ****ty thread die.

Dont blame oldies, for your lazyness.

People who are oldies, remember the times when we couldnt buy full pink, we had to farm forever to get it.
Get on a level 25. farm full pink of that characters class in fathom, then tell me that you have it hard.

So shut the **** up, and go farm.

Pharcyde
12-16-2010, 10:40 PM
^^^ That is why the oldies are Kings.

Not because they "think" themselves kings they ARE kings.

Gaabob
12-17-2010, 12:23 AM
I have played long enough to be called a middle-aged player, edging on oldie, although I did join PL after 1 month of ao2 had gone by(it's been 4 months since then I think?). Throughout my time here I have found that sometimes it is very hard to get what you want, and others that playing is a breeze ( with getting good games, friends, and nerfed maps). Recently I created a new Mage, and played it up to 46. Along the way I encountered many players few of whome were oldies. While playing him it has never been difficult to find a game to play in. If I wish to play a certain game then I host it, wait maybe a minute and then start soloing. By some weird pattern people will join up after I kill the first hallway. Generally these people know what they are doing, we play, and all are happy. On that character I have 2 friends (Royce and a new dude), Royce who I talk to, and the other I occasionally play with. Even without a large friend base, it is not difficult for me to find games. If gear is an issue, and it is difficult to find games where they will let in a new gen player (because of crap gear), then give your personality a smack and make some friends- who if you are smart, will understand your situation and play with you until such time as you have accumulated enough money/gear so that you may join anyone. At that point start creating your own games (and have enough physical reputation to pull egotistical oldies in), at which point you will make farming buddies and then you are set. Of course it is wise to A) only make one character, and B) actually be able to play PL well(which should NOT be that hard to accomplish) if you actually hope to accomplish anything as a starting player.

On the ego part.... I have read all you oldies posts and... *coughegocough*

Noobs are noobs are noobs, get over it and yourselves, don't waste electricity typing stupid flamatory comments- try for some constructive criticism. By writing such bashful, hateful comments you not only harm the target, you also are injuring the devs.. Unuseful comments only work to undermine the reputation and public integrity of the PL community, and discourages players from downloading, playing, paying, and overall enjoying the PL experience.

Btw: I'm tired sorry for rambling

Darkchylde
12-17-2010, 12:29 AM
i roll on some missions with anyone that invites me cause i need to level up from a 46 to a 50 i need to catch with all you new folks ...everybody hav some fun and rem lets roll together an kiK A$$ and take names

kateku
12-17-2010, 06:58 AM
The best way to get the items is to buy it. Earning money is easy as you can find some threads that teaches you where to go and earn fast money.
That way your chances of getting the weapons and armors is easier and faster. All you need is hard work although it might be bored earning and farming money.

Vaelma
12-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Well, I don't know about any oldy egos. I know that there are just a couple of people on my friends list (Seratonin and Silvanesti) that have been on it since our 20's or 30's. /waving to those guys! And I can guarantee there are no ego's involved with them. I joined them the other night and we had a heck of a fail group doing Close Encounters I think (wherever the shadows are). With all of our uber gear experience and know how we died and died and died. And it was great fun! There's no doubt we could have done it better, but I don't think anyone cared that much or were upset. No egos there. I was more upset I had to log off for a cpl of hours.

Anyway, to the original op. As someone else pointed out you have to keep making friends. Every night I add new people to my list. I watch how they play (see if they keep an eye on my squishy mage butt) and watch their chat and if they lol and tease I'm going to add them. I also a few times a night venture into the lower Balefort quests and help those guys who are amazingly grateful I help them complete the quest line and I add them to my list. A week from now they will be 50's!

Another thing too to the original op....the game developers did a great thing with this game in that when you check out "join game" you can see how far along the quest has been done already. If you don't want to be in a Keeper farming group it's best not to join if there is only a sliver of green completion. I look for about 1/4 done. That usually means they are at least doing Gurg and Ol. Hope that helps.

jonboy
12-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Have a nice day
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae281/boganslaw/tumblr_kzb0v1YP7i1qa4iwro1_500.jpg