PDA

View Full Version : Low space and install issues

Annduhroo
12-17-2010, 06:59 PM
How is it that I have no space issues at the release of this game, but now I can never install it except through an Apk? I've went through my Droid Incredible and removed a lot of beloved apps, almost all of the apps I could in fact. I have way more then enough of the needed memory, which is over 6gb on internal memory and 600mb of phone storage. If the application can be moved to SD, I've done it. If it's too big, it's been removed.
After doing everything I can, I still can't install from Market, let alone update it if its already installed. When it IS installed, I have that irritating "low space" notification stuck in my notification bar, even after clearing all cache and moving Pocket Legends to SD. I've put time and real money into this game. I need and deserve a fix for this. At least make updates available through the game or by just patches. I shouldn't have to reinstall every day or week, depending on how often an update is available... Has anyone found any workarounds that actually work for these issues? My only option shouldn't be to have to root a perfectly good phone, just to fix or make a game work correctly, when I already pay to play it.

Tree Dude
12-20-2010, 09:41 AM
It sounds more like the problem is with your phone and not the game. An app cannot force a low space notification, that is a function of the OS. It sounds like your phone is not seeing all of the availible memory. Have you tried pulling your battery to reset the phone?

supremo502
12-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Is your Android phone rooted and running a Custom ROM? its probably a problem with your custom ROM.. i had this prob with Cyanogen b4.

Rushd
12-20-2010, 11:02 AM
have you tried syncing your phone to your computer and then deleting your system32 folder?

BuckFifty
12-20-2010, 11:06 AM
I had this "problem" everytime I updated Pocket Legends, but not anymore. I just uninstall it first and reinstall the app from the market which is the updated version. I don't really consider it a problem as I'm on an HTC Aria which has very limited space. I never get the low space notification anymore since I started doing it that way. I also still have all my other apps that I love including BackBreaker Football which is a HUGE file!!

Phaded
12-20-2010, 11:14 AM
It's not your ROM, it is your phone. The Incredible has a /data/data folder which stores app data. That folder is full. That is where you are getting the errors from. It is more than likely not this game or any apps you installed, but in fact an app on your phone STORING a HUGE amount of DATA. The culprit is usually Mail. Go into settings->apps->manage apps->all . Look for an app that has many MB used. That is probably your culprit. Clear data.

Also, I have the issue time to time with updating due to the /data/data limitation. Just uninstall, then install newest version. Moving some apps to the SD will alleviate the /data/data storage issue as well. Also there are custom ROMs out there if you are rooted that will allow you to make the /data/data partition much bigger. By default I think it is 100MB.

Any other Droid questions shoot me a PM. I know these phones inside and out since I cook ROMs and make apps... :D

Annduhroo
12-20-2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I'm running Stock. And what does deleting the System 32 folder do? I am going to clear data on my mail app and post my results here.

supremo502
12-20-2010, 02:23 PM
@phaded - is that the case for HTC Evo too?

Phaded
12-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Yea, mostly an htc thing. If your rooted you can use root explorer or android mate to view what's in there. Don't delete through that though, use the app manager to clear data.

icantgetkills
12-20-2010, 05:44 PM
I don't own and android :D no problems for me XD

BuckFifty
12-20-2010, 05:53 PM
I don't own and android :D no problems for me XD

Follow icantgetkills advice, it worked for me.....:rolleyes:

icantgetkills
12-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Haha :P whats ur ign? Myn are in my sig add me :)

Edit:: wait no there not

Icantgetkillz
Icangetkillz
Stophamertime
Skittleparty

BuckFifty
12-21-2010, 02:07 PM
BuckFifty and BuckTwenty, I'll add ya bro!

Haha :P whats ur ign? Myn are in my sig add me :)

Edit:: wait no there not

Icantgetkillz
Icangetkillz
Stophamertime
Skittleparty

Annduhroo
12-22-2010, 05:09 AM
Okay, so here is my top space hoggers:
Contacts Storage 25mb
Com.htc.socialnetwork 11mb
Adobe Flash Player 11mb
Maps 10mb
Facebook 9mb
Movies 7mb

Everything else is under or around 4mb. Emails actually low in space, under 4mb... I really don't know what else to do?

Phaded
12-22-2010, 07:53 AM
hmm, contact storage seems high, back up to google, delete data, then resync. The bottom four are normal. Social network... What's that friend stream?

Annduhroo
12-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Okay, I have backup assistant, so I backed up there. I wasn't sure how to backup to Google so I exported them to SD. I cleared data and imported back, now it's 2.5mb.

Annduhroo
12-22-2010, 10:25 AM
And finally able to install, but I don't know how long this will last... I think it might be Facebook making the contacts so large.

Phaded
12-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Facebook shouldn't effect it in that way. Thats more or less for pictures. My storage for contacts is always set low.

FYI to back up to google, just run sync on your google account. All contacts set as google (which is default) back-up to your google account.

ONANEBEZ
12-23-2010, 03:55 PM
I've had trouble installing only certain releases through the market. Are you getting a low application space warning from your phone or the "sorry not enough space to install" message when you try updating through the market?

Futumsh
12-23-2010, 04:06 PM
If you have a device with particularly low internal storage space, it often helps to uninstall, then reboot the phone before installing, as that tends to clean a lot of temporary space.

Phaded
12-23-2010, 09:27 PM
His phone had plenty of internal storage, its the /data/data folder.

Annduhroo
12-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Yes, I get the "not enough space" error when trying to install from Market. And the data/data folder?

Phaded
12-31-2010, 10:20 AM
Probably full... Go to page one, read how to check it

TheHoovie
01-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Yes, I get the "not enough space" error when trying to install from Market.
I also had this problem with my Droid Incredible. Even as I have space in the 150 MB /data/data location. I don't know why but downloading and installing the apk from the website worked fine. I don't know why this is and I can't seem to make sense of it bit it worked for me.

Annduhroo
01-08-2011, 05:39 PM
I also had this problem with my Droid Incredible. Even as I have space in the 150 MB /data/data location. I don't know why but downloading and installing the apk from the website worked fine. I don't know why this is and I can't seem to make sense of it bit it worked for me.

I haven't found the solution to this issue anywhere, and I know it's DInc related mainly. With DInc being one of the biggest sellers for Verizon, you would think that someone would have found a solution or the key problem by now...