PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Ring is Bugged?

Zeus
04-27-2014, 11:00 PM
So, I was doing some testing and it has come to my attention that the arcane ring might be bugged?

Here's what I noticed:
• proc is about as rare as a weapon proc which is a bit lame for a proc that only returns 2% mana
• when it procs, your right hand turns into a baby blue fireball
• proc does not work for auto attack, only for skills
• proc will only activate after the skill has hit a target and causes some damage

Is there a bug in the way it works? The current way is a bit lame. :/

Spell
04-27-2014, 11:17 PM
So, I was doing some testing and it has come to my attention that the arcane ring might be bugged?

Here's what I noticed:
• proc is about as rare as a weapon proc which is a bit lame for a proc that only returns 2% mana
• proc will only activate after the skill has hit a target and causes some damage

For the longest time I never seen my ring proc
Till two days ago I notice my hand turn blue XD

Instead of just hand turning blue could the arcane circle turn blue also?

But as Zeus says u actually have to do some DMG for it to even have a chance to proc.(skills only)
I would like to see the rings also proc with normal attack.

Zeus
04-27-2014, 11:47 PM
For the longest time I never seen my ring proc
Till two days ago I notice my hand turn blue XD

Instead of just hand turning blue could the arcane circle turn blue also?

But as Zeus says u actually have to do some DMG for it to even have a chance to proc.(skills only)
I would like to see the rings also proc with normal attack.

Proc being pretty noticeable would be great, it's arcane but the proc is tinier than tinkerbell, lol...

Mucsi
04-28-2014, 02:16 AM
What this ring proc? I never heard it...

Instanthumor
04-28-2014, 03:09 AM
No, no one cares about arcane rings. PLEASE FIX KERSHAL SCEPTERS. Takes 5 seconds to charge, charged auto attack deals LESS damage than a non-charged auto attack, gives 10 mana regen on proc (seriously? 10 mana regen? Do you even know how much mana we have?), etc, etc. It's sad that the current best mage weapon lacks on so many different levels.

Zeus
04-28-2014, 09:32 AM
What this ring proc? I never heard it...

Chance to return 2% mana on attack

FluffNStuff
04-28-2014, 09:47 AM

Here's what I noticed:

Does the proc return 2% of total mana or 2% of the mana used on a skill? Could be why it only procs on a skill, as it needs something to return mana from? How much mana does it return?

notfaded1
04-28-2014, 09:48 AM
No, no one cares about arcane rings. PLEASE FIX KERSHAL SCEPTERS. Takes 5 seconds to charge, charged auto attack deals LESS damage than a non-charged auto attack, gives 10 mana regen on proc (seriously? 10 mana regen? Do you even know how much mana we have?), etc, etc. It's sad that the current best mage weapon lacks on so many different levels.

At least you can sell the staff for something... have you seen the HOOKS o.O! Rogue arcane is in need of serious fixing for lvl 41.

Also Parth is right... the proc is a joke. I never even noticed it.

Zeus
04-28-2014, 09:53 AM
Does the proc return 2% of total mana or 2% of the mana used on a skill? Could be why it only procs on a skill, as it needs something to return mana from? How much mana does it return?

The description says 2% mana return on attack. The last time I checked, auto attack was a form of an attack as well. Also, the proc is so rare, that it is nearly useless if it only returns mana on a skill.

I understand that developers do not what self mana generation, but the proc is rare as a kershal scepter's or arcane maul's proc, so how are we going to rely on it for mana? As of right now, you may as well just remove the proc, as it procs about 1 in every 20 skills (which by then, mana bar is empty anyways).

Carapace
04-28-2014, 11:29 AM
This is not currently a bug, as any form of damage will have a chance to proc the ability. Skills, normal attacks, charged attacks are all valid forms of attacking to proc this ability, and appears to be working as intended.

A note about the Ker'shal Scepter, there is more to the charged shadow ball effect than just raw damage which is why its damage is not super high. Combining the current effects that can go off with a successful shadow ball attack AND combining it with a mana-less large damage dealing component would make it a bit overpowered.

Samdegreat
04-28-2014, 11:58 AM
A note about the Ker'shal Scepter, there is more to the charged shadow ball effect than just raw damage which is why its damage is not super high. Combining the current effects that can go off with a successful shadow ball attack AND combining it with a mana-less large damage dealing component would make it a bit overpowered.

Lol mages overpowered? They can't kill a warrior with mythic even when maxed out with arcane I think they need to be overpowered hehe.

Sceazikua
04-28-2014, 12:24 PM

But it is ARCANE. It should be overpowered. By effects of it, you mean snare and slow? No they are not overpowered because Ive witnessed even snared people when hit by charged windmill can still kite around and run away, that 5 sec slow is not enough. If you could pls change it to something interesting, like pull all affected enemies or high chance to push proc, it would be much cooler.

Instanthumor
04-28-2014, 01:07 PM
At least you can sell the staff for something... have you seen the HOOKS o.O! Rogue arcane is in need of serious fixing for lvl 41.

Ah, but you see, hooks are outdated from last season.

With a successful attack? Tbh, it shouldn't even be considered a skill. Of all the Kershal mages I know, none of them actually take the time to charge the staff because it's absolutely useless. If you think a mana-less skill is so OP, you're wrong sir. Even if the shadow ball attack consumed mana, it really wouldn't make a difference. Please try to experiment this and you will realize how ineffective this is. It is supposed to be arcane for a reason, +10 mana regen is close to nothing.

Deadroth
04-28-2014, 01:24 PM
This is not currently a bug, as any form of damage will have a chance to proc the ability. Skills, normal attacks, charged attacks are all valid forms of attacking to proc this ability, and appears to be working as intended.

Sorry Cara, but i need to agree. Proc from Kershal, and from Ring seems to be L A M E, especially when those items are arcane. Apart,
There was discuss why maul still is better than claymore, CAUSE OF PROC. Right? So why You are making such lawlness again to Mages, and to users of the most precious item in this game?

Arcane ring to rule them all! Not they all to rule arcane ring...

Haligali
04-28-2014, 01:24 PM

If you are a rogue who looking for some arcane equipment, then you should buy a ring. You will be a op killer in pvp with a few k gold bow.

Zeus
04-28-2014, 03:18 PM

The thing is, Cara, I have yet to see a mage ever run out of mana. In fact, I think that they need more damage & the staff should be a way to provide it.

Secondly, are you sure normal attacks will proc the ability? I have yet to ever see it happen. In any case, the proc is so rare that it's a bit useless. It's like not even having a proc, honestly. Have y'all considered changing it to be slightly less rare. I'm not saying at the rate where you can refill mana bar with it, but I am suggesting a rate where you can consider dropping some int in a build because the ring procs just enough to allow for the lower mana levels.

Instanthumor
04-28-2014, 03:39 PM
The thing is, Cara, I have yet to see a mage ever run out of mana. In fact, I think that they need more damage & the staff should be a way to provide it.

Coming from a rogue's perspective...

eugene9707
04-28-2014, 05:09 PM

*cough* Maul proc *cough*

UndeadJudge
04-28-2014, 05:40 PM

Don't want hooks? I'll gladly take em :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

will0
04-28-2014, 08:07 PM
I have sold my kershal .. and using mythic staff instead cheaper and cheerful less lame charge skill and normal process on attack is not that great ..

Instanthumor
04-28-2014, 08:11 PM
I (I have many witnesses) can easily kill a relatively skilled, arcane staff mage in a 1v1 using an Expedition Gun. Seriously, that's just sad.

otb
04-29-2014, 01:01 AM
To Devs:

Shadowflare skill of Ker'Shal is USELESS. Period.

You always say about its usefulness slow, snare blah blah, guess what, how about you guys show it to the players how useful you say it is. How about you show it to us on video how to properly use it? Because maybe we don't get your point in all of these rubbish talk unless you show it to us.

How bout you do a top spec'ed (obtainable by normal players) kershal mage then duel some top spec'ed rogue and warriors in game and show them, and us, how this prized "SHADOWFLARE" of yours is useful. Or make it 5 on 5 team clash if you want to, outcome will be the same anyways.

JaytB
04-29-2014, 01:56 AM

From a PvE perspective, that shadow flare attack is completely and utterly useless. My advice would be to actually test it out yourself in game, instead of reading its specs off a spec sheet.

There's not a single sane sorcerer that is going to wait 2-3seconds for a weapon to charge in the middle of elite mobs pounding on them. Especially when the proc seems totally useless.

will0
04-29-2014, 01:58 AM
STS should just try to use it at PVP and PVE (new map) and let us know their findings

Rean
04-29-2014, 02:16 AM
To Devs:

You always say about its usefulness slow, snare blah blah, guess what, how about you guys show it to the players how useful you say it is. How about you show it to us on video how to properly use it? Because maybe we don't get your point in all of these rubbish talk unless you show it to us.

How bout you do a top spec'ed (obtainable by normal players) kershal mage then duel some top spec'ed rogue and warriors in game and show them, and us, how this prized "SHADOWFLARE" of yours is useful. Or make it 5 on 5 team clash if you want to, outcome will be the same anyways.

Devs can use a tank and test with me. I go run elite with you, and all I do is cast this "awesome" shadowflare while you tank. We shall see whether you think it's OP or will you just quit the map at the end of the day.

falmear
04-29-2014, 02:23 AM
Funny this thread was derailed. But all you need to do is go back to this thread:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?112748-Realm-of-Shadows-Expansion-First-Look-At-Sorcerer-Arcane-Weapon&p=1236437&viewfull=1#post1236437

Also, it should be noted that the Maul of Ollerus has a chance to proc +60 strength. The staff is on par for arcanes in this regard. The pushback associated with the normal attack is slight, and not going to push everything across the screen. The damage from it is also pretty nice.

In regards to health, there is also the typical Int, Str, Dex, and Crit component as the base stats for the item that are not yet disclosed while we tweak them.

The reasoning behind the Shadowflare not stunning is it would be too overpowered as a free cast. The charge time to case it however is lengthy while in combat, and probably works as an in between for normal damage rotation rather than a replacement for another spell.

It is however, fun to play with :)

I also recommend you read some of the comments by some well known forum people. Quite amusing seeing how wrong they were.

Instanthumor
04-29-2014, 02:33 AM
Funny this thread was derailed. But all you need to do is go back to this thread:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?112748-Realm-of-Shadows-Expansion-First-Look-At-Sorcerer-Arcane-Weapon&p=1236437&viewfull=1#post1236437

I also recommend you read some of the comments by some well known forum people. Quite amusing seeing how wrong they were.

Ehm, I'm sorry Parf.

Carapace did mention that the staff is 'on par' for arcanes. Both items receive the +60 base stat, but the Maul of Ollerus also reduces target armor and has an AoE stun. What does Kershal have other than it's base stat proc? A whopping +10 mana regen. Is the proc between these two items even comparable at all? Tbh, it really wouldn't matter to me if you guys took away this Shadowflare spell. I'd rather have a staff that I can actually use its charged attack, than not being able to use it at all. Besides, how is the proc fun to play with, when it only happens 10% of the time (experimentally, not theoretically)? If a sorcerer did not use any spells other than Shadowflare, it would take at least 20 seconds before Shadowflare's effect would activate. Guess what? Either my team would've won already, or I would've been dead 10 seconds ago. How fun is that? If you're not going to make any changes to Shadowflare, at least take it out. You'd be doing the whole mage community (the ones with the staff) a big favor.

Haligali
04-29-2014, 02:58 AM
To Devs:

We are riding a dead horse. There are basic difference versus in game experience of the players and developers fiction about the shadowflare. They think that reduce cast time will be overpowered, but in reality even if charging time is 1 sec, why would anyone want to charge something for less damage when can do faster and more damage with the regular attack? So this conversation is pointless, there is no solution for the shadowflare, just leave it as it is and never use.

Haligali
04-29-2014, 04:55 AM
I did some test for those who have no kershal and have no clue what this shadowflare is.

This is elite brackenridge forest the first mob, only used charged regular attack with arcane staff, i took the screenshot after the mob died:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/29/u5upahyd.jpg

Now remap and same mob, this time I used lvl1 promocode weapon and same, only charged regular attack:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/29/puhubavy.jpg

Check the timer, very interesting :0

Damage difference between the 2 weapon:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/29/hygate7y.jpg

"mana-less large damage dealing component" muhahaha

Foebegone
04-29-2014, 10:10 AM
I use shadow flare a lot and it is useful!

farming bracken ridge its just enough to kill the mobs and use no mana! that saves me literally 10s of g a run! now only 3,999,729 runs left till I break even ;)

Sorry off topic, Arcane ring 2% mana you say oooh I can see that saving me even more gold in mana pots!!!

still off topic, errr what Zeus said!

Zeus
04-29-2014, 12:13 PM

That post was many months ago. I believe you posted at one point that the kershal scepter was quite powerful at the time, did you not? However, in light of new weapons, crafting system, increase in damage and health it is now an inadequate weapon that does not really pose a threat against warriors.

falmear
04-29-2014, 01:25 PM
That post was many months ago. I believe you posted at one point that the kershal scepter was quite powerful at the time, did you not? However, in light of new weapons, crafting system, increase in damage and health it is now an inadequate weapon that does not really pose a threat against warriors.

I don't know what you are referring to but feel free to link to anything I said. But I always stated the charged attack was garbage. Where as based on your testing, you said it made a mage a tank.

Linkincena
04-29-2014, 10:26 PM
Well.. 1st of all applaud the devs for coming out with great Arcane items through their Hard Work...
What I have seen from so many posts overtime about the arcane items introduced and Mage community cries ( m a mage though) is that there is some class balance thingy the devs want to maintain.. Making any item too much OP will disturb the balance of classes..
Yep there are some contents in skills and stats that were good at lvl 16 season 1 .. however now at lvl 41 they were overlooked... and focus was made on items only as seasons passed... which maybe the reason for so many posts from Mage community. ..
I think devs should check and revamp some skill content for lvl 41 for all classes... cos only a few playing people are on forums and many things go un noticed as our tendency is to see who what content complaints are the most on forums...

Aneheazatek
04-30-2014, 02:27 AM
a perfect maul is stronger than a perfect kershal.

Yet a maul is so much cheaper than a kershal.

There is something wrong here.

Robhawk
04-30-2014, 03:26 AM
Its so easy:

Sell your kerhsal and make a warrior... You can trade kershal for full myth warrior + arcane maul! Then you go on the battlefield and destroy all those little smurfs. ;-]

My myth warrior with claymore kills nearly every mage regardless of gear. if you dont make a big mistake as warrior and your timing is good, the mage will be dead! When the mage`s shield is down and he heals himself you know the fight will be over in the next 3 seconds!
So if i use my HOR and the smurf uses his heal at the same time -> my warrior heals to full health 6,1k while the mage heals to 2,5k / 4k... well who gonna win and gonna lose? Its to obvious... Most 1vs mages is over while juggernaut is still activ, that means in less than 15 seconds!

Aneheazatek
04-30-2014, 03:43 AM
Yea , am thinking of doing exactly what you suggest :)

Its so easy:

Sell your kerhsal and make a warrior... You can trade kershal for full myth warrior + arcane maul! Then you go on the battlefield and destroy all those little smurfs. ;-]

My myth warrior with claymore kills nearly every mage regardless of gear. if you dont make a big mistake as warrior and your timing is good, the mage will be dead! When the mage`s shield is down and he heals himself you know the fight will be over in the next 3 seconds!
So if i use my HOR and the smurf uses his heal at the same time -> my warrior heals to full health 6,1k while the mage heals to 2,5k / 4k... well who gonna win and gonna lose? Its to obvious... Most 1vs mages is over while juggernaut is still activ, that means in less than 15 seconds!

Madnex
04-30-2014, 04:41 AM
The sole reason one would use the kershal in previous seasons was for sheer extra damage. Price-damage wise, the expedition guns are now a far far better choice.

Obviously whoever designed the shadowflare spell did not calculate the realistic PvP time factor where even half a second matters. Is anyone going to charge for 500 damage and 1/8 chance to proc a short crit-movement debuff when he can deal up to five-six times that damage in the same time? Hell no.

On topic, the mana return proc is just for flavor and the rest statistics of the ring justify its arcane status just fine already.

Linkincena
04-30-2014, 04:59 AM
I also thought of making a warrior today..

Haligali
04-30-2014, 05:15 AM
Every time i enter a pvp room, random warriors bully me, pvp should be fun for every class.

Robhawk
04-30-2014, 05:50 AM
Every time i enter a pvp room, random warriors bully me, pvp should be fun for every class.

For every class, except the mages. ;-]

Serancha
05-01-2014, 03:15 AM
I did some test for those who have no kershal and have no clue what this shadowflare is.

This is elite brackenridge forest the first mob, only used charged regular attack with arcane staff, i took the screenshot after the mob died:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/29/u5upahyd.jpg

Now remap and same mob, this time I used lvl1 promocode weapon and same, only charged regular attack:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/29/puhubavy.jpg

Check the timer, very interesting :0

Damage difference between the 2 weapon:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/29/hygate7y.jpg

"mana-less large damage dealing component" muhahaha

Aside from what you were looking to prove, this is additionally a good demonstration of how mobs scale according to gear quality. Interesting, isn't it.