PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Townes?

flaimdude
05-07-2010, 05:54 PM
I think it's cool that players can no longer host Townes, but why are there still 6 Townes open to join? Shouldn't there be one central Towne? :| Just wondering.

darrensmith016
05-07-2010, 05:56 PM
I think it's because Towns can only host a limited number of players ATM

Justg
05-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Itsa comin' :)

Reaper
05-07-2010, 06:06 PM
DunDunDuuuuun!

darrensmith016
05-07-2010, 06:06 PM
I can't wait for that, massive meeting place, great to arrange quests

flaimdude
05-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Itsa comin' :)
Yay! I can't wait! :D

asommers
05-08-2010, 02:06 PM
There's a instance limit of 25 players in townes. If a towne is full, another instance is created. We don't shut down townes with active players, so that's why you will see multiple townes. There's also a load balancing reason for multiple townes, but I won't detail that here.

-ALS

Esus
05-08-2010, 03:49 PM
So how are supposed to choose which towne we want to go to if we cant create them oursevles?

TheBaconKing
05-08-2010, 03:51 PM
So how are supposed to choose which towne we want to go to if we cant create them oursevles?

Like you do when you choose any other game.. They are still open to join, just players themselves cannot make them. If you want to join a friends then just click join on the friends page.

Obliteration
05-08-2010, 03:52 PM

Just hit go to towne.

Rebel
05-08-2010, 04:02 PM
I like the giant meeting place idea, but watch out for the lag, because it could get pretty bad.

Esus
05-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Right Obliteration I know that, but what about the fact that theres New townes to go to...how do we choose which one we go to?

TheBaconKing
05-08-2010, 04:10 PM
...how do we choose which one we go to?

I just said how to a few posts back..

Just go to play, and choose one of the townes open. They are created by the server, cause there can be only a max of 25 in a towne at once due to lag. On the 25 limit, I think thats what I read by a dev.

Esus
05-08-2010, 04:12 PM
I was under the impression that there were new townes coming out, meaning townes other than Forest Haven. pressing enter towne will take u to a random towne of its choosing?

TheBaconKing
05-08-2010, 04:23 PM
I was under the impression that there were new townes coming out, meaning townes other than Forest Haven. pressing enter towne will take u to a random towne of its choosing?

Correct, and there are new townes coming out in the future, as well as a world map. I assume we will choose which towne to go to in the world map, but as it has not been released, or talked about in detail by the devs, I don't know for sure.

Futumsh
05-08-2010, 04:25 PM
When we put in the multiple towns, the 'enter towne' button will instead take you to a map where you select the towne.

PvP
05-08-2010, 04:57 PM
When we put in the multiple towns, the 'enter towne' button will instead take you to a map where you select the towne.

Makes me wonder what other advantages or systems they will have in these other towns, or perhaps they're just for chatting...

KongsNutz
05-08-2010, 08:05 PM
From my understanding, these other townes will have different vendors and traders.

I wonder if it's possible (Justg) to have more than 25 players in a towne/instance or is that just not possible for iPhone/iPod/iPad?

Hai5
05-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Can you make the chat universal? Like the town contains only 25 players so only 25 can communicate each other, can you make it so hundreds can communicate with each other?

asommers
05-08-2010, 10:55 PM
From my understanding, these other townes will have different vendors and traders.

I wonder if it's possible (Justg) to have more than 25 players in a towne/instance or is that just not possible for iPhone/iPod/iPad?

25 is the limit we have chosen per towne instance. However, you can freely join any towne instance you want (from the join page) if you want to join a specific instance. Eventually, Enter Towne will be smarter with regard to putting you in a towne instance that your friends/guild/group members are in.

-ALS

asommers
05-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Can you make the chat universal? Like the town contains only 25 players so only 25 can communicate each other, can you make it so hundreds can communicate with each other?

Unfortunately, that would lead to a lot of chat clutter. Eventually, we'll have chat channels, so you can chat with your instance, guild, team, friends, etc.

-ALS

Infamous-D
05-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Will u guys be implementing any sort of music button so we can listen to our own person playlists from the iPod ? I think that would be awsome for wen were lvling/farming. I'm just curious if that will be on the agenda in the future ?

Proud LEGENDS member:D

Hai5
05-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Instead of making maps and towns into multiple game rooms, why not add little exploration and traveling into this game by removing the rooms and connect all towns and maps into one big world? They can still be instanced but I prefer little exploration and traveling then just jump into the game rooms. Of course, long distance travel can utilize way point and teleportation scrolls.

asommers
05-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Will u guys be implementing any sort of music button so we can listen to our own person playlists from the iPod ? I think that would be awsome for wen were lvling/farming. I'm just curious if that will be on the agenda in the future ?

Sure. We did this for some of Clockrocket's games, I don't see why we couldn't do this for Pocket Legends.

-ALS

asommers
05-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Instead of making maps and towns into multiple game rooms, why not add little exploration and traveling into this game by removing the rooms and connect all towns and maps into one big world? They can still be instanced but I prefer little exploration and traveling then just jump into the game rooms. Of course, long distance travel can utilize way point and teleportation scrolls.

We thought about that, and we may do both. If you're short on time and you want to use the map, great. If you have some time and want to explore, we can have some trigger volumes in various points in the zones to allow you to automatically transfer to the next zone (as if you went to the map). Additionally, we've talked about making some entrances to various places hidden (not on the map), so the only way you can get to them would be to explore the townes.

All of a possible PC mmo's features would be great, but you have to remember a lot of our decisions are driven by the fact that we're on a mobile device with limited resources, so we designed the game for small short, quick, play sessions. Although we shouldn't have been surprised by it, the fact that people play this game for hours and hours a day [consuming all the content in the process] has made us rethink feature priorities.

-ALS

KongsNutz
05-08-2010, 11:58 PM
yeh asommers, the fact that this is on a mobile device... doesn't mean much to mmo players.

I like that it has those features but.. I only play at home in front of the TV with my iPhone anyway.... I know a lot are the same.

So for once it would be nice for a company to disregard that it's on a handheld/mobile device and add big time consuming features anyhow.
Making quick links to those big features for others is always welcome too. :)

asommers
05-09-2010, 12:17 AM
So for once it would be nice for a company to disregard that it's on a handheld/mobile device and add big time consuming features anyhow.
Making quick links to those big features for others is always welcome too. :)

Write that company [us] a check for $10M (million) and they'll make whatever game you want. :)

-ALS

KongsNutz
05-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Write that company [us] a check for $10M (million) and they'll make whatever game you want. :)

-ALS

Start charging for PL when some more features come in and money should start flowing too you guys.
I know that i would have paid $8.99AUD the going rate over here for a game on iPhone for PL already.... just saying.

P.s I have already paid about #50AUD just on platinum