PDA

View Full Version : Perks!

nazgulking
12-21-2010, 01:37 AM
Hello folks,

I've been playing around some RPG games lately apart from PL (Heresy! ;)) and an idea came up to my mind that can be added to PL itself for all of you: PERKS.
What are perks? Perks are abilities that can be added to your toon, that can affect your DPS, damage, luck or be even more complicated and all of this PASSIVE. Let me show you some perks example:

LUCKY FINDER: When you smash a chest or doing a percentage luck-base quest you'll get more reward that you normally would (more gold from chests, more pelts from quests, a pink instead of a purple...)

FIERY THROWER: When equipped with a fire-based weapon you'll deal more damage than usually and occasionally deal a speacial combo that will add additional damage.

ZEN MASTER: You can concetrate to a point that you can evade all incoming fire for 5 seconds every minute.

URSAN RAGE: You have the strength of the brave Ursans that will save Alterra from all Evil, for that you receive an added armour stat of +25 and enemies will deal less 25 damage to you.

Of course all of this are just ideas of perks and can be class specific while others are common to all classes. This way you can choose a perk every 2 levels and there must be MORE perks that you can aquire by leveling to 100, in order for you to make radical choices (you invest more on luck based findings and quests but less of DMG output for example).

Suggestion delivered.

Demonicdevyn
12-21-2010, 02:12 AM
good idea some flaws
hope devs will fix it up and use it

nazgulking
12-21-2010, 02:37 AM
Please help the idea by writing down what are the flaws in what i wrote :) i add to my idea that there should be 100 perks. This way till you get to level 100 you may choose up to' 50 perks.

Demonicdevyn
12-21-2010, 02:42 AM
maybe that You can have 3 perk max regardless of lvl
perks arnt overly powered they just add a small twist

nazgulking
12-21-2010, 02:51 AM
I was thinking of something that might follow all your way up to' lvl cap. Perks would be level wise ( perks would have level requirements). If 100 may seem too many. You may get a perk every 4 levels and therefore having less total perks You may choose from. You get the idea :)

P.S. By having 1 perk every 4 levels, You'll Have 25 perks out of 50 total :)

superglut2
12-21-2010, 04:58 AM
Sounds cool

nazgulking
12-21-2010, 05:30 AM
I was thinking of a series of merchant-oriented perks in order to build merchants:

(lvl 50)BARTER INSIDE: all CS shop items cost 10% less to you. (the owner Will Still get full price)

(lvl 75)MASTER TRADER: all You sell in CS items you sell Will Have an additional 10% profit

YOU OWN THE MARKET: You dont Have to' pay cs fee anymore

This Will force You to' Have multiple toons. One merchant and one farmer f.e. And in any case force specialization and loose something but gain some other. :)

nazgulking
12-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Another thing that came up to my mind are hybrids. In order to not squash different combinations, perks may have stats requirements. F.e. The merchant perks may need some to lots of int, apart From the level requirements, depending on the level requirements. This way you can still build a pally or a strbird.

Lvl 30 - DRAGON WILL- INT 30 Str 80: You Have the same cunning of the mystical dragons. Your mana regen gains +7 and your hp regen gains + 5

Lvl 35 MOJO RESITANCE- DEX 80 STR 35: You Have learned the way of the swampy mojos and gain + 7 armour and + 20 dodge

This Will Lead to a further customization and fun to the game, i hope :)

P.S. What about special perks given as awards for quests? :)

nazgulking
12-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Any suggestion on how to improve this?

bjordan
12-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Do it Monster Hunter style and give us cats that fix us meals that give us random perks before each dungeon. :P (joking)

Overall I like the idea. Anything to add to the game without overdoing it. Could be an interesting balancing issue so they don't overpower people. I'm sure they could figure it out though.

nazgulking
12-23-2010, 06:08 AM
I understand that balancing is a huge issue, but i think using this way of doing IMHO may address several issues:
First specialization: People who wants to be tanks would choose perks that helps them that way (in order to not OP some builds the perks may have increasings in certain stats but have some minuses on other in order to balance things out)
Second keeping abilities as they are: STS won't have to take out of the magic hat some strange abilities. Perks would provide that something more IMHO (open to suggestion of course)