PDA

View Full Version : L56 Pure Int Mage Guide!

Laar
05-03-2014, 11:18 AM
Hello PL Community! After recieving so much gratitude from my L51 Pure Int Mage guide, I decided to make another Pure Int Mage guide, only this time, it's in the L56 range. I hope you guys find the following helpful, and don't forget to click the Thanks button below!

Introduction

There are some things that you need to keep in mind before reading this guide. I am going to answer some questions that would help bear these things in mind.

Why Pure Int?

Pure Int mages have more skill damage, a larger mana pool, more mana regen, and a higher heal. The reason why skill damage and a heal is important is pretty much self - explanatory, but the reason why more mana regen and a larger mana pool is important is because your Mana Shield is one of your main defenses as a squishy Mage, and to maintain your mana well, you need a big mana pool and a lot of mana regen.

What's so good about being a Mage?

The reason people choose to play as a Mage is because its a great support class with a nice amount of damage and crit (in some cases). In the following guide, we will focus on being both of these.

Do I have to follow this guide to become a successful Mage?

Absolutely not! The purpose of guides is to "guide" you through so you can figure it out yourself. Change my playstyle however you'd like to fit your personal needs.

Builds

Before getting into the strategies and finding out how to play your class, you have to find out what you're playing as! I am going to be explaining all the builds that will be used in this guide.

By the way, huge thanks to synfullmagic_23110 for all the pictures that he provided!

The following image will be showing the skill build:

Now, some people who has read my last guide might disaprove that I'm using 1 Icestorm when I could put that extra point into a debuff. I do that with a L51 Mage because you need all the points you can get to put into a single debuff, but as you have a significant greater amount of skill points in L56, you can chose to put just 1 tiny point into Icestorm for a bit of extra damage. After all, you have 2 debuffs, so it's no biggie.
Plus, an extra ice debuff really helps in some sticky situations. It also calls for some good strategies, especially against mages.

You can still chose to put the extra point into a debuff instead of Icestorm: it's all about preference. You can change this build however you'd like to. :)

Another thing proposed to me is the option to give up your Revive for another extra point into a debuff. At this level range of PvP, I NEVER give up a Revive for anything; this covers your support role very well and people are dependent on your Revive. Again, you can take off the Revive, but I don't recommend doing so.

The first loadout is a Charmin' Wand Set:

This set will probably be the one you'll be using most, as it's really balanced stat - wise. You have the skill damage needed and the mana pool and regen very high for that defensive Mana Shield to remain maintained. With this set, you aren't as squishy, and you can still deal a bunch of damage. What also makes you not too squishy is your high health regen, and a pretty good amount of armor. Health regen isn't a priority as a mage, but that extra regen could help a lot.

The second loadout is a Charmin' Staff Set:

There are 2 main aspects of being a Pure Int Mage: Having more skill damage and mana (survivalbility). The Charmin' Wand set covers more of the mana aspect, so this set will cover more of the damge aspect. With this, you have close to the max damage as a L56 Pure Mage. On top of the awesome damage, you also keep the crit from the wand set, so it makes it nukier. Keep in mind that you're giving up about 40 armor for about 20 skill damage which isn't a fair trade, so don't use it too often. In some cases though, you can pull this set out and nuke if you're willing to give up a bunch of armor because of the situation.

Strategies

So now you know what you're playing as, now you have to play it!

Before I jump into how to beat a specific class, you need to know what you can do as your class! I'm going to be explaining stuff that people don't usually look into, although I'm sure a bunch of you know all this stuff already. This is just a friendly reminder, because you need to keep this stuff in mind when I explain how to beat each specific class. This is partly to also help change someone's playstyle, because you're not supposed to follow EXACTLY everything I say in the v.s. class section. If you're stuck, use one of these strategies depending on the situation.

Lightning debuffs stack! Spam this skill; -5 dmg, armor, and -3 hit might not seem like a lot, but when it stacks it could become deadly.

Frostbite has a longer freeze debuff than its cooldown, so you can actually make an opponent stand still forever if he doesn't dodge forever.

If you want to run from your opponent, try the reverse of the combo. Instead of Frostbite - Firestorm, use Firestorm - Frostbite. Knock him back with Firestorm, and then use Frostbite to make him stand still.

Learn to time your Mana Shield. It has a 2 second delay on skill activation, so if you do It too early or too slow you'll be screwed.

You should also practice a few things while journeying through your PvP career as a mage.

- Learn your range, especially the difference between 12m and 8m. Those two distances is where most of your skills will hit.
- Study cooldown, including your cooldown and the opponent's cooldown. This could help a ton, because then you'll know when advantages and disadvantages take into play.
- Use a skill map that you don't have to look at to activate skills. This is essential, many players don't focus on the match and only focus on tapping skills.
- Learn when and not when to use skills. This applies with the aspect of cooldown. If you waste a skill, you're going to be at a disadvantage in an engaged fight.

Now, I am going to be explaining how to play against specific classes. This is important because you need to know how to play against what you're facing against.

Against Bears: This is probably going to be your toughest opponent, since they have a pull and OP damage + armor. The key is to land your debuffs (Nightmare and Weakness) and you'll have a good chance of winning. There are two ways to engage a fight against a bear: Using Firestorm or using Frostbite first. If you use Firestorm first, it isn't necessarily to knock the opponent bear out of range of beckon. The knockback of the Firestorm is too little to do that, because of two factors: Global Cooldown and a range glitch where if you step back, you lose 2m range while the opponent gains 2m. No, the reason of using Firestorm first is that if he hits Beckon, you'll knock him back far enough so he won't be in range to use Crushing Blow (a debuff that you can't heal off) and some slashes. The Frostbite engage is an engage where you take advantage of the opponent's cooldown time. Beckon is surely going to hit, unless you're super lucky. If your Frostbite hits though, you'll have him pinned, unable to move, when he engages the fight and starts dealing damage with Beckon. He could stomp out, but you have an extra ice debuff (Icestorm if you're using it), causing immobility until Stomp is done cooling down. Once successfully engaged, hit those debuffs, but once it lands, walk out of range quickly before the bear uses Hell Scream and slashes to stun you. Time your heals and drains to get out of stuns and maintain your health. Keep him still by spamming Frostbite, and if he hits beckon, use that extra ice debuff (Icestorm). Continue to kite and deal damage, and hopefully the opponent will go down.

Against Birds: These guys are also hard to beat since they can pop your mana shield and nuke you, but it's equally hard for the opponent. The bird has to wait until you hit that Mana Shield, and that takes precision. If you early MS to block that blast shot, it could go bad as some birds are smart and will just repulse after it breaks, making that MS useless. In fact, I've seen some pesky Obededience birds spamming repulse until you're FORCED to hit the MS for the fight to continue. Pay attention to the opponent's engaging skill so you can make your counter engage. If they chose to Repluse, don't freak out and MS. If they chose to Blind, find out what their next skill is. Just use a skill that you think is good. Now, once you start the fight, you have to control the bird by spamming Frostbite, and birds have only 1 deroot with a long cooldown. Take advantage of cooldown once again, especially paying attention to Blast (MS breaker), Repluse (Knockback), and Avian (Deroot). If you see the opponent use Blast into your health bar while his Repluse is cooling down, use Mana Shield. The bird won't be able to repluse you away to avoid a nuke or pop the Mana Shield. Try this for a combo: Drain - Frostbite - Lightning - Firestorm. It's a good nuking combo, and could kill squishy birds.

Against Mages: At this point, it all depends on skill or luck - based fators, as you and the opponent are the same class (although your opponent might be a bow user or a pally). What's important is your timing of your Mana Shield. Depending on the situation, you can late MS, so, if both you and your opponent are doing damage at the same rate, then your opponent would run out of mana (technically speaking in some cases). In other situations, you can early MS so you won't get nuked while safely going for your nuke. An early MS is also good for forcing the other mage to MS as well, since if they don't, they'd either have to kite your nuke extremely well or die from Drain - Frostbite - Fire. Make sure if you MS, the opponent has no escape. Otherwise, they could just knock you back with Firestorm and pin you with Frostbite and run, wasting your MS. Don't waste your drain, it has a long cooldown and has a fairly long cooldown. Only use drain if you feel like you will make a successful nuke. Spam your Lightning: it does decent damage and you need to output all your damage against a mage to turn the odds to your favor.

Against Foxes: With 2 dashes, a pull, and a deroot, these guys are tricky. If they get close to you, they can nuke you in literally a split 1-3 seconds UNLESS you use your Mana Shield. Keep them at a distance with your Firestorm and Frostbite, you need to kite these guys.
Eventually you will be able to finish them off, they're pretty helpless at a distance.

Against Rhinos: You don't see many of these guys around, but they aren't that hard. Although there are some annoying Fury Fighter rhinos that never die, they should be pretty easy to beat. They consume a lot of mana quickly, and they also have low hit, which means you can spam Lightning for the debuffs and use your Weakness for the extra hit debuff. They'll pretty much be useless by then.

How to CTF as a Mage: Yep, that's right! I'm also including a mini - section of how to CTF. CTF is a big part of PvP, in fact that's how PvP is designed to be. You need to know how to play your support role well. The most important thing about being a support is that you have to watch your teammates' health! Time your heals so you can heal your whole team, and revive if you have to. Don't get caught in the middle of a team fight, you're squishy and if you get stuck in the middle you're screwed. As a support, you also have to help your team get kills, so spam those AoE skills and debuffs. When you're nuking, target the squishyist and finish him off so he won't be a bother in the team fight. When your tank retrieves the flag, you have to cover for him and help clear the way. Don't worry about getting kills or dying, this is not a Deathmatch. You have to make sacrifices to win a CTF.

Conclusion

In conclusion, I think Mages are very fun and viable to play! They are all around, with defenses, offences, and support skils! I hope this guide interests you or helps you, if so, click the Thanks button below. Have fun playing as a Mage at L56! :D

synfullmagic_23110
05-03-2014, 11:23 AM
About time :p

Laar
05-03-2014, 11:26 AM
About time :p

Lol! Thanks again, I couldnt have done it without you :D

synfullmagic_23110
05-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Read it all
Nice thread

Ssneakykills
05-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Very good! Thumbs up

ign hugeluck
05-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Nice

Trenton
05-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Good job Dexter, glad to see someone make something rather than a plat pack build xD Very well proposed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Laar
05-03-2014, 02:31 PM
I love the enthusiasm guys! Keep the feedback coming :p

Caiahar
05-03-2014, 04:49 PM
You suck!

Just kidding, you're pro :D

Laar
05-03-2014, 05:12 PM
You suck!

Just kidding, you're pro :D
Lol thanks, means a lot coming from you. I've come a long way, remember when I used to be that nub 51 dex/int mage? :D

synfullmagic_23110
05-03-2014, 06:14 PM
U still are ;)

<3

Laar
05-03-2014, 06:15 PM
U still are ;)

<3
I'm pure nao nub :( lol jk I love you <3

Caiahar
05-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Lol thanks, means a lot coming from you. I've come a long way, remember when I used to be that nub 51 dex/int mage? :D

I do XD

All for one, and one for all.

Laar
05-03-2014, 07:28 PM

I do XD

Good times eh? Oh yeah, what are ur 51-61 chars? I never see Dexladin (or whatever the rhino was lol) anymore

Caiahar
05-03-2014, 09:14 PM
Good times eh? Oh yeah, what are ur 51-61 chars? I never see Dexladin (or whatever the rhino was lol) anymore

I lvled Dexaldin to 56, and I renamed to Caiahar a while back.
Though its hard to beat bears and mages..meh.

IGN Storm
05-04-2014, 12:49 AM
Against Mages: At this point, it all depends on skill or luck - based fators, as you and the opponent are the same class (although your opponent might be a bow user or a pally). Usually, who wins a Mage v.s. Mage fight is who who uses the Mana Shield last. Then, the person who used it first will run out of mana first (in some cases). Spam your Lightning - it does decent damage and you need to output all your damage against a mage.

Nice job! Everything looks fine to me. Only part I need to point out is that many fights are lost because of the fact the opponent mana shielded FIRST. Trick is to MS right when defensive buffs are done, hopefully at least 2 seconds before the opponent MS's. The opponent would be forced to either MS (Death by Drain Ice Fire) or kite. If your opponent chooses to MS, which many inexperienced players do, all you need to do is take the first few hits. Save drain when you are at 1/8-1/4 mana to get a "free" heal. With proper timing of Drain and Heal, you should be able to survive until BoM wears off. Then you can safely drain your opponent's mana and prevent them from buffing for the 2nd Round.

Just my 2 cents :p

Laar
05-04-2014, 12:55 AM
Against Mages: At this point, it all depends on skill or luck - based fators, as you and the opponent are the same class (although your opponent might be a bow user or a pally). Usually, who wins a Mage v.s. Mage fight is who who uses the Mana Shield last. Then, the person who used it first will run out of mana first (in some cases). Spam your Lightning - it does decent damage and you need to output all your damage against a mage.

Nice job! Everything looks fine to me. Only part I need to point out is that many fights are lost because of the fact the opponent mana shielded FIRST. Trick is to MS right when defensive buffs are done, hopefully at least 2 seconds before the opponent MS's. The opponent would be forced to either MS (Death by Drain Ice Fire) or kite. If your opponent chooses to MS, which many inexperienced players do, all you need to do is take the first few hits. Save drain when you are at 1/8-1/4 mana to get a "free" heal. With proper timing of Drain and Heal, you should be able to survive until BoM wears off. Then you can safely drain your opponent's mana and prevent them from buffing for the 2nd Round.

Just my 2 cents :p
Lol thanks for the feedback :D

I do this too, but the reason I can't rely on using Drain as a Heal too much is because of the dodge/miss factor. With this strategy, if you miss drain, you're kinda screwed.. unless you do a drain heal, THEN it would be less risky. I tend to not use drain as a heal, only as a nuke. I think of the health as an extra compliment to the awesome damage but never as a defensive skill.

Spyce
05-04-2014, 06:55 PM
This guide is soh good
Don't even have a 56 mage and maek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laar
05-04-2014, 06:56 PM
This guide is soh good
Don't even have a 56 mage and maek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stfu I'm lvling right now nub

Spyce
05-04-2014, 07:22 PM

Should of thought about that before you took my guide noob

Laar
05-04-2014, 07:24 PM

Should of thought about that before you took my guide noob
U don't have a guide lel

FortalWao
05-05-2014, 12:27 AM
You wouldn't last 2 seconds in a fight vs Shelby... Oh wait! None of us would, not even the tanks.

SayCreed
05-05-2014, 08:28 AM
You wouldn't last 2 seconds in a fight vs Shelby... Oh wait! None of us would, not even the tanks.
Blitz > Shelby

@Laar
Days mah boy.Bes guide thank when on chrome

Laar
05-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Blitz > Shelby

@Laar
@FortalWao if u didn't come here for the guide, then just don't comment.

@SayCreed Ily <3

FortalWao
05-05-2014, 11:04 AM
null
I marked myself as a mediocre PvPer and I have a big ego? And you claim to have beaten the godly Shelby and you're alright? Wow.

Caiahar
05-05-2014, 11:32 AM
k deleted all my posts talking to fortal (wao)for Laar :D

SayCreed
05-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Blitz > Shelby

@Laar
@FortalWao if u didn't come here for the guide, then just don't comment.

@SayCreed Ily <3

I love you 2
MOAR than pl that goes for all my fwends.
But darth I love him Like I love spending $$$

SayCreed
05-05-2014, 12:02 PM
Here*
Won't let me edit

Triple post gg I delete later mah boy

FortalWao
05-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Btw Fortal

My respect for Shelby is 0.He scammed a demonic mace set and renamed several time to cover his shame.Also YOU may think he's a god but in my opinion he's like any other toon.If he was a god would he scam?Cover his shame by renaming?

Btw 2 anyone who thinks I'm a new forumer and came in 2013.FYI,I played pl since 2010 and looked at forum ever since but didn't see the reason to make an account.

Laar I'll delete this when he reads it

@fortal if you dun read this in 2 days I will Pm it + delete from here
Too late, I quoted you. :D
Shelby may have trolled and scammed but behind all that stuff hides the greatest dueler of all times. I said he was PL *PvP* God so obviously I wouldn't care about him scamming. In fact, I respect him even more for being able to scam SO many people without any player even finding out. Shelby is the god of PvP, scamming and trolling.

All heil Shelby.

Laar
05-05-2014, 04:41 PM
This Shelby crap started with Fortal posting that stupid thread when he said bears were underpowered.

synfullmagic_23110
05-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Who shelby ._.?

Laar
05-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Who shelby ._.?

A convicted scammer and apparently a god.

FortalWao
05-07-2014, 01:20 AM
Who shelby ._.?

Shelby is the GM of Get Honor, the best PvPer that ever was or will be, the God of Scams, a proud officer of several elite guilds,... This list about this legendary man could go on for ages.
@Laar, you don't realise that the stuff you've listed is why he deserves praise.

All Heil Shelby.

IGN Storm
05-07-2014, 02:32 AM
Patrick is just being silly, ignore him guys ^_^.

Hardcorexd
05-07-2014, 04:45 AM
too late, i quoted you. :d
shelby may have trolled and scammed but behind all that stuff hides the greatest dueler of all times. I said he was pl *pvp* god so obviously i wouldn't care about him scamming. In fact, i respect him even more for being able to scam so many people without any player even finding out. Shelby is the god of pvp, scamming and trolling.

All heil shelby.

fortal really... Before was flaming hot, now flaming shelby...

Laar
05-07-2014, 05:15 AM
Patrick is just being silly, ignore him guys ^_^.
Isn't Patrick Sheriff? Cause hes not the one who we shouldnt be ignoring right now

programmed
05-07-2014, 06:15 AM
Isn't Patrick Sheriff? Cause hes not the one who we shouldnt be ignoring right now

There's not only 1 Patrick in the world

FortalWao
05-07-2014, 02:23 PM
too late, i quoted you. :d
shelby may have trolled and scammed but behind all that stuff hides the greatest dueler of all times. I said he was pl *pvp* god so obviously i wouldn't care about him scamming. In fact, i respect him even more for being able to scam so many people without any player even finding out. Shelby is the god of pvp, scamming and trolling.

All heil shelby.

fortal really... Before was flaming hot, now flaming shelby...
Praising*

Caiahar
05-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Ima use this guide when I get mage to 51
<3 laar

Laar
05-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Ima use this guide when I get mage to 51
<3 laar
Lol why not my 51 guide? :D
Ily too <3

programmed
05-07-2014, 07:58 PM
And laar I think what storm means is fortal doesn't worship Shelby, he's a troll. Yes alex is a friend of ours and he is one of the best players I've met but he's not a god. And to all you saying he's a scammer, yes he is but that doesn't mean he's bad.

Caiahar
05-07-2014, 08:05 PM
And laar I think what storm means is fortal doesn't worship Shelby, he's a troll. Yes alex is a friend of ours and he is one of the best players I've met but he's not a god. And to all you saying he's a scammer, yes he is but that doesn't mean he's bad.
I still can't get over the fact your name is programmed with a lower p. Looks less official than TheScaryBeary.
Don't judge me.

Laar
05-07-2014, 08:12 PM
I still can't get over the fact your name is programmed with a lower p. Looks less official than TheScaryBeary.
Don't judge me.
Ik... there's nothing wrong with it, but I'm OCD about that kind of stuff and it's killing me :/

Impact
05-07-2014, 08:34 PM
56 annoying, u do 50 dmg to 66s while they do 400 to u

programmed
05-07-2014, 08:52 PM
Don't judge me.

Ok so remiem forgot to capitalize it...not like its a big deal. Still the same word.

programmed
05-07-2014, 08:54 PM

Lol ofc. 66s get 240+ armor unbuffed and rank 9 buffs while 56s get around 180 armor or less with rank 6 buffs.

Laar
05-07-2014, 08:58 PM

Lol ofc. 66s get 240+ armor unbuffed and rank 9 buffs while 56s get around 180 armor or less with rank 6 buffs.
Yup, and this isn't a guide about how to beat 66s lol, so please don't complain here.

Caiahar
05-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Don't judge me.
Ik... there's nothing wrong with it, but I'm OCD about that kind of stuff and it's killing me :/
Ikr! My OCD catches up to me.

But still NO ONE EVER UNDERSTANDS WHEN I'M JOKING AROUND. Stahp the seriousness!

Laar
05-07-2014, 11:12 PM
I updated the guide to put a new perspective of battles against a mage to either Early MS or Late MS depending on what the situation is.

synfullmagic_23110
05-07-2014, 11:20 PM
K thx babe

Laar
05-07-2014, 11:36 PM
K thx babe

U sexy
Ily <3

FortalWao
05-08-2014, 04:07 AM
He's not just one of the best, he's the very best, and if he wanted, he could easily beat me and you and Laar or whoever else dares to confront him 10-0 in a 1v3. That makes him the god of PL PvP. I even had a dream about him last night, it's so weird, one day he was dominating PvP and the next day he wasn't even online, and he didn't reply to me on Snapchat or Kik either. The god joined this community in a mysterious way and left it in a mysterious way, and he shall forever be remembered by us as the very best, for it was him who could beat everyone, not you, not me, not Blitz, not anyone else. And I shall attempt to defend his reputation.

Burningdex
05-08-2014, 05:46 AM
nice man, make the how to fight bold

eg

mage drain bla bla bla :3

SayCreed
05-08-2014, 09:35 AM
He's not just one of the best, he's the very best, and if he wanted, he could easily beat me and you and Laar or whoever else dares to confront him 10-0 in a 1v3. That makes him the god of PL PvP. I even had a dream about him last night, it's so weird, one day he was dominating PvP and the next day he wasn't even online, and he didn't reply to me on Snapchat or Kik either. The god joined this community in a mysterious way and left it in a mysterious way, and he shall forever be remembered by us as the very best, for it was him who could beat everyone, not you, not me, not Blitz, not anyone else. And I shall attempt to defend his reputation.
K.You worship don't need to spray it on Laar (One of the best mages IMO) thread

FortalWao
05-08-2014, 03:28 PM
K.You worship don't need to spray it on Laar (One of the best mages IMO) thread
"one of the best", one of how many? 1000? Okay Laar is one of the best (1000) mages ranked somewhere at 900 whereas Shelby is and always has been ranked at #1. Guys pls, respect him.

SayCreed
05-09-2014, 02:16 PM
How much 'good' int Mages do you know?

Btw,Why do you have to suck up on Shelby sooo much.K he's a god (nah he will never be) doesn't mean you hav to say 'you wouldn't last 2 sec against Shelby' btw if they did vs each other it wouldn't be 10-0. Laar is skilled at Mage.
If you liek a Shelby a lot you should date him since I can see yah luv for him.

*Not rly hate <3 but gotta disagree *

PL•ayer
05-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Fortal is either Shelby or Ephesius (or both :0)

Awesome guide Laar, too bad the replies weren't totally constructive

NotYoCookiez
05-09-2014, 06:05 PM
wow u arent even good doe

NotYoCookiez
05-09-2014, 06:06 PM
How much 'good' int Mages do you know?

Btw,Why do you have to suck up on Shelby sooo much.K he's a god (nah he will never be) doesn't mean you hav to say 'you wouldn't last 2 sec against Shelby' btw if they did vs each other it wouldn't be 10-0. Laar is skilled at Mage.
If you liek a Shelby a lot you should date him since I can see yah luv for him.

*Not rly hate <3 but gotta disagree *
me.

NotYoCookiez
05-09-2014, 06:07 PM

im back

Caiahar
05-09-2014, 06:08 PM
im back

Bes cookie.

programmed
05-09-2014, 06:09 PM

He's not either if those people

FortalWao
05-10-2014, 04:47 AM

Please don't insult me by accusing me of being an endgamer :)

SayCreed
05-10-2014, 05:15 AM
Lel @ darth

Btw Ephesius and zone come back pls.I wanna see your ego at same time plus U2 vs each other

Burningdex
05-10-2014, 05:48 PM
lmao laar make a 56 rush bird guide :3

Laar
05-10-2014, 06:11 PM
lmao laar make a 56 rush bird guide :3
Lmfao nah there are wayy better rushers than me, although people think I'm good Idk why I sux with bird doe :O